Search billions of records on


Memories of Union Chapel & Roberson School

Miller Memories

Lowell C. Miller

I was born at my Father and Mother's house located about a mile and a half West of the Union Chapel Church on July 6, 1931. My Father passed away in March 1979. My Mother passed in March 1983. I grew up on the farm of about sixty acres and enjoyed the farm work even though it was hard at times, yet there were a lot more good times than bad. Since I was an only child and there were no neighbors living close by, I learned to play by myself. I did have a dog that was a faithful friend. I had a little red wagon and I would put the dog's front feet in the back of the wagon. The dog would follow along on his back feet for a long time as I pulled the wagon. I also taught him to climb a ladder, but he refused to use a paint brush.

We also had horses, cows, pigs and chickens. My Dad farmed with the horses until tractors came along. Sometimes Dad would use "Pop" Roberson's skeleton wheeled John Deere. Later, he used a Cub Farmall tractor. This was a great improvement over the horses. I really liked to ride the horses.

The teacher of my Sunday School class was my Grandmother, Martha Miller, better known as "Granny". Later on, my Dad played the piano and taught a Sunday school for a while. My Mother also taught a class. Rev. G.R. Husk had the Vacation Bible School at the church in the summer time. I don't remember much about the preachers that we had at the church.

I attended the Roberson grade school. I had Opal Mason as my first and second grade teacher. I can't remember who taught each year after that. I know that we had Will Jones, Wallace Myler and Nellie Jackson. I think that Nellie taught my last two or three years of school there. It seems like that I remember hearing that teachers were paid about eight hundred dollars per year back then. We just basically learned the three "R's" in Grade school. I remember when the school house burned one year not long after school started and I was so upset because all my new books were destroyed. We had classes in the church till we got another school building.

I won't attempt to name all my friends personally, but here are some of their last names Mills, Goldman, May, Wilson, Roberson, Luff, Hammond, Batman and Roll; Knight, Butt, Myler, Wyatt and probably some more that I have forgotten about. I remember that the teacher had warned us boys about shooting at each other with our slingshots. Sure enough one day one of the boys came in with a cut on his forehead from getting hit with a rock from a slingshot. That put an end to our slingshots. We used to fly kites at noon. We would tie up our kites to a fence post or something when school started again after noon. If it came up a rain, the teacher would let us go out and bring them in. Some of them went up pretty high.

I walked to school a lot those early years then rode the bus later on. One thing that we looked forward too was the "Peddler" coming by every Wednesday at noon. "Dutch" Nash had converted a school bus into a rolling store, which contained everything. We bought candy and I don't remember what all else from him. I also remember carrying water from Jesse Goldman's well out in the field west of the school. There were usually two of us boys that went after the water.

I went to High School at English and graduated in nineteen and forty-nine. There were twenty eight that graduated that year. We had our fiftieth year class reunion last year and there were eighteen of the graduates present. One week after I graduated, I started to work at the English State Bank for Irwin Fahr. I joined the Navy in 1952 and got out in 1956. I went back to work at the bank and continued working there until I retired in July of nineteen and ninety-three, a total of forty-four years. The bank opened its first branch bank in Leavenworth in nineteen and sixty-nine. I was Branch Manager there for twenty-two years.

I married Eulah Fern Newton in nineteen and sixty-two. We had been married for twenty-six years before she passed away in nineteen and eighty-eight from complications of diabetes. We adopted our two daughters, Renda and Jelyn. Renda is married to Ben Stidman and lives in West Baden. They have two children, Jennifer, ten, and Benjamin, seven. She is office manager at the Patoka Family Health Care Medical Clinic at Eckerty. Jelynn is married to Kevin Starks and lives in Georgetown. They have no children. She is a nurse at the Green Valley Nursing Home at New Albany.

My first car was a nineteen and twenty-nine Model A Ford. I paid one hundred dollars for it in nineteen and forty-nine. I painted it black with a brush and the wire wheels were painted a bright red. I fixed it up quite a bit inside and had many, many good times in that car. My first new car was a 1950 two-tone green four door Chevrolet. I kept it until I got out of the army in nineteen and fifty-six.

I built a new home at the top of "Needmore" Hill in English in nineteen and fifty-nine and still live there alone. I am very happy here. I have excellent neighbors on both sides. After I retired from the bank in nineteen and ninety-three, I didn't work any where until October nineteen and ninety-seven, when I started to work part time as a people greeter at WalMart in Corydon. I worked there until July nineteen and ninety-nine and then quit in order to keep up things at home that I wanted to do. I also wanted to have more time to spend with my grandchildren. I now mow the cemetery at Union Chapel every summer, so that along with reading, fishing, watching a little T.V., keeping things up at home and spending all the time I can with my grand children keeps me pretty busy. It has been a great life and I am grateful.

This page was last modified: Sunday, 20-Oct-2013 19:00:56 MDT
View Stats