People & Places of Leavenworth, Indiana
Click for Bigger Map
Leavenworth is located on the Ohio River.The town was planned and laid out by Seth Marshall Leavenworth and Zebulon Leavenworth in 1818. The town was incorporated in February, 1835. The first stores opened in this town in 1819, and the following year, the first school house was built. Zebulon Leavenworth established a ferry across the Ohio River which later became a trading and shipping point for counties of Crawford, Orange, Dubois, and portions of Perry.
Leavenworth became home to "The Crisis", which was the first newspaper printed in Crawford County in the year 1839. The county seat was relocated from Fredonia to Leavenworth in 1843. The first term of court was held on June 5, 1843. By the year 1889, the town of Leavenworth was flourishing by having the following establishments in the town, two churches, a spoke factory, two saw mills, one roller process flouring mill, two skiff factories, one town hall, four hotels and a blacksmith shop.
Emanuel R. Hawn, M.D., was born in Clermont County Ohio, September 11,
1831, and was a son of Emanuel and Harriet (bell) Hawn, natives of Maryland, and Ohio respectively. He came to Crawford County, In, and located in Alton in 1851, and having commenced the practice of medicine, having read medicine and graduated from the Ohio Medical College before leaving that State. He served through the Mexican war and was in several battles; and at the breaking out of the Civil War, in 1861, he joined the Seventeenth Indiana regiment. He was afterward transferred to First Indiana Heavy Artillery as a surgeon, and subsequently to the Forty-Ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served as surgeon of this regiment until 1864, when he was placed in charge of a hospital at Louisville, Ky.
He was called to take charge of the One Hundred and forty-fourth Indiana Regiment, and he was sent with it to Virginia. He was chief surgeon over four different regiments during his term of service. When the war was over he located in Indianapolis, where he remained one year, and then went to Leavenworth, and was postmaster under Presidents Grant and Hayes, and pension examiner. In 1880 was elected Secretary of State. He died in 1884, while holding the office of Secretary of the Board of Health.
In 1854 he married Miss Mary E Holcroft, a native of Crawford County, and a daughter of Nathaniel and Elizabeth (Smoots) Holcroft, natives of Virginia. He had six children, Ada, Elijah, Elizabeth, John A., Clem. And Emanuel. John was born November 27, 1864, and is a physician, graduated from the University of Louisville in 1884, and began practice at once in Leavenworth. His father was a prominent Mason, and Knights of Honor. His mother, Mrs. Hawn, kept a hotel in Leavenworth.