Paul J. Honnold opened Honnold Funeral Home at 604 E. Monroe Avenue in 1950. In 1965, his son, James, entered the business and presently operates as Honnold and Son Funeral Home. Honnold and Son also operate Funeral Homes in Ridgefarm and Sidell.
In the early 1900's the late G. W. Wasson operated a Funeral business on the north side of the square. Also in the late 1930's a Mr. Cline started a Funeral Home in the present Otis Clark residence. Both of these businesses were short lived and exact records and dates are unavailable.
GROCERIES AND RELATED BUSINESSES
As early as 1872 a grocery store was operated by Jacob Brant and C. A. Smith. This store was located on the north side of the square. In the early 1900's this was followed by groceries run by the following people: I. D. Scott, Luna Smith, Perry Roberts, Charles Ballard and Ballard and Kelly. James Heidrick, father of Fern Anthony and Lelia Wimmer, operated a grocery located on the north corner where the old Blue Room was located. The McCalmont Brothers had an excellent grocery on the north side of the square for several years.
In 1887 a grocery-dry goods store was operated by William Smith on the south side of the square.
During the years many grocery stores have been operated on the west side of the square. In 1900 a grocery was opened by O. E. Patrick. For some time an Oakley store was located here. In 1936 Grab-It-Here opened a store in the building now occupied by S. W. Yontz & Sons. Other grocerers on this side of the square included Clarence Lunger, Wyatt and Owens, Tucker and Fellowers, Linderman, Sheets and Owens, and C. W. Newlin & Co. Fresh meats were also available to customers in specialty shops, Erastus Hurst Meat Market, F. W. Dustheimer's Meat Market, Jacob W. Daily, Ben Lamb, and Gutherie Butcher Shop.
For many years E. P. Jones operated a grocery on the west side in the building now housing Adam's Clothing Store. He also supplied people with groceries via the huckster wagon which had regular routes through the country side.
Mr. Jones later sold the store to Paul Honnold. Mr. Honnold sold the store to Mr. and Mrs. E. O. Tate of Indiana. The store was opened for business on January 21, 1949. Mr. Tate operated the Regal Store until 1952 when he sold it to Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Lewman who operated it as an Eisner More until they sold it to Al Davis. Mr. Davis built the new building 6n the east side of the square where Riggen Produce Market had been located. In November 1964 the new Chrisman IGA Foodliner was opened for business with Mr. Freemont Ireland as manager.
Another food related business were the services provided by creameries serving as middlemen between the farmers and large dairies and poultry companies. Lonnie and Lottie Lunger operated a Creamery and Produce Co. from 1939 to 1958. In the forties Robert and Rena Riggen followed Robert's father in the Riggen Produce business.
S. W. Yontz & Son, Inc.
Samuel Warner Yontz, Sr. of Smithfield, Pa. purchased in January 1910 the Hardware Store in Chrisman from the firm of Storm & White. He later was joined by Samuel Warner Yontz, Jr. of Battle Creek, Mich. They took over the store on February 15, 1910.
Roger Yontz was taken into the store in 1923. In 1930, another son, Karl, Sr., was taken into the store. In 1946 the youngest son, Robert Sr., was taken into the hardware and plumbing business.
These three men were all sons of S. W. Yontz, Jr. In 1920 S. W. Yontz & Son extended their activity to Paris, and five years later business demands in Paris led to opening of a second store which was managed by Karl Yontz, Sr. This store is now located on the east side of the square in Paris and managed by Karl Yontz, Jr.
The Yontz Corporation purchased in 1958 the Dri-Gas fuel business from The Inman Firm of Paris. The storage and bulk yards are located in Chrisman and supply fuel to customers in eastern Illinois. In June, 1967 S. W. Yontz & Son, Inc. purchased the building to the south from Paxton Grocers. This transaction was like old home week to the Hardware Corporation. Previous to 1922 the Yontz store was located in the south half of the store building just purchased. At that time it was divided into two stores. The Yontz's moved to the present location in 1922 and have continued in business there until present time. In November, 1967 open house was held for the completed remodeled double store building.
Today the independent plumbing contractor is nearly a thing of the past in the construction field, where general contractors now perform all building work. But the sale of household articles, small appliances, kitchenware's and garden supplies, mostly unknown sixty years ago, now are a major industry. The Chrisman Yontz store is the oldest business firm that has been in continuous operation in Chrisman, and is now managed by Robert R. Yontz, Sr.
Also setting records for service with the Chrisman Yontz store are four employees with from ten to twenty-five years service each. They are Ed Murray, Don Hollingsworth, Cary Thurman and Francis Langford. Other full-time employees are Beverly Henry, Edna Potter and Leigh Johnson.
George W. Samford & Son
George Samford moved to Chrisman in March, 1921. In 1927 Samford and S. L. Newlin formed a partnership. In 1930 they bought the building located at the corner of Iowa and Monroe Street. In 1937 George Samford bought out Newlin's interest and started George W. Samford & Son. In 1950 Samford & Son moved to their present location, which was formerly the John T. Owen Furniture Store. George retired in January, 1957 and Clyde, his son, still operates the business as George W. Samford & Son.
Some other early hardwares were owned by Proctor & Storm, C. D. McKay, Lon Busby & Wally James, William Waltrip and R. J. Smith.
In 1875 W. N. Newkirk purchased the Harness Shop on the east side of the city square from Abe Mitchell. At the time the shop was torn down in 1947, it was the oldest business establishment in the city and the building was also one of the oldest. Mr. Newkirk died in 1933 and James E. Thomas operated the business until 1947. Three men who worked in the shop many years were: John Wilson over 50 years, Charles Mumford, a Civil War veteran, 30 years, Russell Jamison 25 years - a total of 105 years.
The stock in the shop was sold to a harness dealer in the Amish community where harness is still used.
Mr. B. F. Waldruff owned the first hotel in Chrisman. It was located on the south west corner of the square where Mrs. Cora Fulton operated a hotel and restaurant until a few years ago.
The Chrisman Cottage on East Monroe Avenue and the Shawhan Hotel on West Monroe Avenue were among the early hotels. The Shawhan Hotel was located just east of the home of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Richards. This building burned. The Hammond House on West Monroe was also an early hotel.
Other business places around the square served meals and a few kept roomers. The Stickle's restaurant on the east side of the square advertised the best meals in town for twenty-five cents.
INDUSTRIES OF THE PAST
Due to the efforts of A. E. Schnitker, president of the Chrisman Business Men's Club, and F. K. Thayer, the Rayfield Motor Car Company of Springfield was brought to Chrisman in 1912.
Officers for the company were President, F. K. Thayer; Vice-President, Charles Hoult; Secretary and Treasurer, A. E. Schnitker; and Sales Manager, E. E. Staley. The plant was located on the north side of Madison Avenue just west of the railroad in the Light and Water Company building.
The first car was completed in September. Later in the same month the Brown Auto Co. of St. Louis contracted with the Rayfield Company to take their entire output for three years. Two cars were shipped to them in October -- one to be used as a demonstrator and one to exhibit at the St. Louis Auto Show.
In May, 1914 a Rayfield Hughes car was entered in the Indianapolis "500" but failed to qualify. A few large touring cars were manufactured and sold in the community.
The Company left Chrisman in 1914. As in Springfield, it had been running at a loss and had never paid a dividend. The sign Rayfield Motor Company can still be seen on the building today.
In the early years of 1900, the C. E. Bonner Manufacturing Company was started in Chrisman and for some years did a flourishing business and employed at times as high as 175 men. The factory stood where the Hixon Chevrolet Co. is today. They manufactured Victor pipe wrenches, a device of great mechanical merit, patented by Clarence and William S. Bonner. This factory made pipe wrenches for the Panama Canal.
In about 1911 the equipment was moved to Champaign, IL. The building was purchased by the Scott Brothers for a garage. At one time there was a broom factory, just south of the railroad. A good broom could be bought for 15 cents. Charles Hurl and brother were the owners.
The milling industry was of great importance in early times and continued to be for many years. One that has not been mentioned previously was the Charles McAllister mill in the east part of town which was in operation for many years. Besides the milling industry others were added to bring prosperity to the village. There was a tile factory in the south east part of town run by W. A. Jones.
Ice was a necessary commodity in the village and Chrisman had two ice houses. One pond and ice house was located at the south east edge of the town. This was operated by John Scott. Another was located at the site of the present Montagnino pasture and was operated by Erastus Hurst. Many farmers put up their own ice. The ice was cut from the ponds and stored in sawdust. In 1912 work was started on a new ice plant and it was placed in operation the following spring.
The plant turned out to be a fine paying proposition in Chrisman. R. A. Bennett was manager. Two years after the ice plant was built a 300-ton coal silo was erected. The coal was dumped into a pit under the railroad and elevated into the silo by electricity and then dumped into wagons. A 50 or 60 ton car could be unloaded in less than two hours. Mr. Bennett did a thriving business for about 20 years, but with the increase of electric refrigeration in the homes, business decreased and eventually the plant was closed.
In 1912 the Chrisman Construction Company was organized and a good building erected in the south west part of Chrisman. The company thrived and its concrete products, such as tile and septic tanks, spread over the fertile acres of the surrounding community. Early officers of the Company were F. K. Thayer, President; W. H. Robinson, Vice-President; A. K. Hartley, Treasurer; and F. W. Scangling, Secretary.
In 1919 the H. M. Crites & Co. Canning Factory was placed in operation, the company having taken over the old Rayfield building. The farmers were a little skeptical at first, but it was found to be the greatest boon to them, which had made its appearance in many years. In fact, it was a life saver to many of them. The building was equipped with the latest machinery and closing devices. During the canning season, which was usually six or eight weeks, as many as 175 men and women were employed. The plant was under the able management of Mr. T. C. Jamison. The corn acreage in 1919 was 1,300 acres. After Mr. Jamison left Chrisman, Mr. McMahon managed the plant before it closed.
In 1944 The Rogers Bros. Seed Co. Inc. purchased the ground in the south west section of Chrisman at the site of the old tile plant and a new industry was started there. This plant was used for production of sweet corn seed. Lawrence Taylor was the local manager. In the beginning three or four local men were employed full time, and later a force of 20 to 50 women worked at the picking tables.
Rogers Bros, closed the plant in 1948 because of seed corn production difficulties. In 1946 a new business, Frozen Food Lockers, was opened in Chrisman. Mrs. Mabel Sayre Jones was the first manager. A good meat and dairy products store was operated in conjunction with the Locker business which butchered and prepared meat for the lockers if desired. This business flourished for several years and the former building is still referred to as the locker plant.
Through the efforts of the Lions Club, Production Incorporated opened a plant in the Haws Building on State Route One. They assembled such items as toilet articles, hair nets, needles, hair pins and candy. They hired about 24 women to work. They closed in September, 1948.
Wiley Rogers was an early insurance agent in Chrisman. His office was in a small wooden building just south of the present Haworth-McClintock building. It was in this same building that Mr. Livett had made shoes and Mr. D. W. Fouts had his police magistrate office. Mr. Rogers also sold school supplies and candy to the school children.
In the early 1900's A. E. Hudkins had an insurance office on the south east corner of the square, the present site of the Mooney car lot. On the second floor of a two story frame building he shared an office with J. F. Van Voorhees, lawyer.
Early insurance agents who operated agencies for many years in Chrisman were James Wyatt and W. D. Scott. In 1925, after eighteen years, Mr. Scott took his son into the business. The Haworth Insurance Agency operated by Berniece and Harry Haworth purchased the Scott Agency from Mr and Mrs. Owen Scott, December 1, 1950. Mrs. Haworth became a licensed Realtor in 1954.
Mr. Frank McCuddy and Mr. William Smith were popular insurance agents in Chrisman for many years. J. Harlan Owen, James B. Jenness and Wendell Snyder were more recent insurance agents Mr Owen was a general insurance agent in Chrisman from 1949 to 1968. His daughter, Mrs. Marilyn Jo Varner, was also associated with Mr. Owen in the business. Mr. Jenness began selling insurance in Chrisman in 1954. He is a licensed Real Estate Broker. Mr. Snyder sold insurance for several years and is a Real Estate Broker. Mr. K. D. Knicley entered the general insurance business in 1954. He bought out Mr. Smith and later Mr. McCuddy.
Mr. William McClintock became a partner of The Haworth Insurance Agency January 1, 1965. Mr. Haworth passed away in 1968 and Mrs. Haworth continued in the Haworth-McClintock Agency until January 1972. At that time Mr. W. M. Bowman became a member of the firm which is still known as the Haworth-McClintock Insurance Agency. Mr. McClintock is a licensed insurance and real estate Broker. Mr. Russell Chainey has been a life insurance agent in the city since 1965.
One of the earliest lawyers in Chrisman was J. Fay Cusick who had an office on the west side of the square. He also had a millinery store at one time. Mr. J. F. Van Voorhees was a lawyer in Chrisman for many years. His first office was over the former post office. At the time he was city attorney, he and Mr. A. E. Schnitker named the streets of Chrisman. Later he occupied an office with A. E. Hudkins, insurance agent, on the south east corner of the square. The office was on the second floor of a two story frame building. (At one time a bakery was located on the first floor and at another Mr. Israel Scott and Sons operated a grocery store here.)
Mr. Carvel Henderson Laughlin practiced law in Chrisman from 1910 to 1913. He was admitted to the bar first in Oklahoma and then in Illinois. His office was above Dr. Linebarger's office. After moving to Denver, Colorado, he was employed by Dunn and Bradstreet for many years. His widow, Mrs. Verta Laughlin, is one of Chrisman's honored senior citizens today.
It was necessary to "go out of town" for legal aid for many years. Then in July 1952, Mr. Allen E. Overaker opened his legal practice in Chrisman. Mr. Overaker received his law degree from the University of Illinois and was admitted to the bar in 1950. He was located in Havana, Illinois for one year before coming to Chrisman.
LIVERY STABLES AND DRAYMEN
From the 1880's to the 1920 s livery service was much in demand. Passengers alighting from the trains would hire a rig to take care of their luggage or merely for pleasure trips. The drummers would hire a rig and a driver to take them to nearby towns, but they were always eager to make the Chrisman Cottage for an overnight stop. A cab was also available and for a fee of twenty-five cents one could be taken anywhere in Chrisman.
This service was nice for the ladies. In bad weather they could call a cab to be taken to a party or club meeting. Livery Stables were owned by William Welch. Wiley James, Hugh Brummett, John Dalrymple, Ashby and McKee, John Ashby, O. E. Patrick, Alex Scott and others. As part of the livery service, Draymen were very much in demand, and were the only means of hauling, trucking and freighting before the advent of today's truck lines. Of Draymen there were many; Some we can recall are Ike Traphagen, William Traphagen, Frank Lientz, Wesley Bell and Owen Scott.
As soon as Chrisman was platted, lots were sold and feverish building activities set in. The sound of hammer and saw were constantly heard. The first building erected was a carpenter shop owned by Samuel Kenton. Lumber for inside finishing was hauled from as far as Montezuma, Indiana. One of the first permanent mills was located where Harlen Owen lives today.
In 1888 Mr. B. F. Waldruff deeded land at the corner of Illinois and Jackson to Mr. William McAnnally for a lumber yard. Mr. McAnnally kept the business until 1933 and it was sold to A. E. Rinesmith and Son. By this time it was a thriving business in Chrisman. After Mr. Rinesmith's death the business was deeded to his son, Harry Rinesmith. Later Mr. Rinesmith bought the Chrisman Lumber Yard on West Madison where Dr. K. W. Frailey's office is today. The lumber yard on Illinois Street was torn down. Harry Rinesmith also was a contractor and built many homes in Chrisman.
The present lumber yard on West Monroe was built and operated by James and Lester Vanscoyk. They later sold it to the Redmon Lumber Company. The last owners of the Chrisman Lumber Company were the House Bros, of Newman who bought the company from Mr. Paul Peach of Champaign. It had been operated by his son-in-law, Clifford Buckles. The House Bros, bought the lumber yard on West Monroe and combined the two yards. The Chrisman Lumber Company is now located on West Monroe. Mr. George Parker is the present manager.
The first mail arrived in Chrisman on November 4, 1872. The Post Office was located in the Smith and Hartley dry goods building, located on the north west corner of the square. Carry Smith was the Post Master for many years. The Post Office had many locations, but occupied the first floor of the Masonic Building for a long time.
The first mail arrived just three months after Chrisman had a name. By 1903 there were five rural routes and now the community is served by three routes. Village service was established in 1916 and in 1949 Chrisman obtained city delivery service and air mail service started in 1944.
The B & 0 Railroad discontinued mail and passenger service in 1926 and the N. Y. C. in 1957. Indianapolis to Decatur High Way Post Office Service was planned to start about August 1, 1952. It was to be very similar to that service performed by the trains.
The big red, white and blue Highway Post Office rolled into Chrisman on September 27, 1952. Assistant Post Master General John M. Redding of the bureau of transportation made a short address. The "Hypo" as it was known, was met at the intersection of U. S. Highway 36 and Route 1 by Post Master Dalrymple and other city officials. Special stamps were available for the First Trip of Highway Service. The Star mail route truck operated between Danville and Ridgefarm after the trains discontinued and in May 1957 came to Chrisman.
The Star mail route truck operated between Danville and Ridgefarm after the trains discontinued and in May 1957 came to Chrisman. On August 31, 1970, a new and up-to-date Post Office was opened. It is located just west of the State Bank.
The Postmasters and their appointment dates are as follows: Cary A. Smith - September 26, 1872; John S. Hartley - April 6, 1885; Cary A. Smith -- March 15, 1889; Timothy McCuddy --August 4, 1893; John F. Newlin -- July 22, 1897, James Wyatt -- March 20, 1916; Carmie Lee (act-ing) - January 23, 1923; Roy L. Waldruff -- January 7, 1924; William F. Hoult -- October 1, 1927; Purl A. Scott (confirmed) -- June 1, 1932; Martin M. Dalrymple (acting) -- October 19, 1933, (confirmed) - June 12,1934, Donald I. Wood (acting) -October 11. 1963; Robert F. Bennett (assumed charge) -- April 17, 1964, (acting) -- April 28, 1964, and (confirmed) -- March 10, 1966.
The first physician in Chrisman was Dr. S. R. Gray who came March 4, 1873. He came from Baldwinsville where he had practiced since his graduation from Linn Medical College in Chicago after previously graduating from Indiana University. Dr. Gray purchased Mathias Chrisman's home.
Dr. Welch came to settle in the new town a week after Dr. Gray and a few months later Dr. Camerer came from Logan to Chrisman. These men served the community for many years. A few other doctors came for short periods. Dr Phelps, Dr. Cunningham and Dr McCulloch were among the early doctors.
Dr C. L. Kerrick was the next physician to settle permanently in Chrisman. Upon graduation from Louisville Medical College, Louisville, Kentucky, he practiced for a while with his brother at Brocton, Illinois. He came to Chrisman in 1897 and spent fifty-two years here in his chosen profession.
Dr. O. R. Scott, who practiced in Edgar County for over fifty years, came to Chrisman in 1903 from Metcalf where he had practiced since graduation from Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio in 1898. Dr. J. L. Funkhouser came about 1908. He was a graduate of Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana. After practicing in Chrisman about ten years, he moved to Danville, Illinois.
Dr. H. A. Linebarger came in 1911 upon graduation from the American School of Osteopathy at Kirksville, Missouri. He has served the area as an osteopathic physician sixty-one years.
Dr. E. G. Conn located next in Chrisman. He came in 1914 upon graduation from Loyola Medical University, Chicago, Illinois, and practiced here over thirty-one years. Dr. Heald came soon and built the office on the south side of the square occupied by Dr. Gonwa today. He practiced medicine here for a few years then moved to Bay City, Michigan.
Dr. J. F. Jennings moved his practice from Scottland to Chrisman in 1920. He had come to Illinois and settled in Scottland in 1894 after graduating from Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio
Dr. Cynthia Morton (now Mrs. George Anner) practiced medicine in Chrisman from 1946 until 1966 when she ended her practice and moved to St. Joseph, Illinois. Before coming to Chrisman she was employed at the Paris Hospital from 1941 to 1945. Her husband is a professor at the University of Illinois. Dr. Morton received her medical training at the University of Nebraska, College of Medicine.
Chrisman has always been fortunate to continue to have the family type doctor who is not only a dedicated physician but friend, advisor and counselor.
Today the Chrisman area is served by Dr. Linebarger, Dr. Joseph F. Montagnino, and Dr. Walter J. Gonwa, Jr. Dr. Montagnino established his practice here in 1948. He received his medical training at the University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy. Dr. Gonwa began practicing in Chrisman in December, 1948. He shared the office of his father, Dr. W. J. Gonwa, Sr., the dentist of the area. Dr. Gonwa, Jr. received his medical education at the St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri.
Dr. C. G. Bacon practiced dentistry in Chrisman for a short time before moving to Newman, Illinois in 1902. His office was on the second floor above the former post office. Dr. Bacon received his training at the Chicago College of Dental Surgery, Chicago, Illinois.
Dr. Campbell was one of the earlier dentists of Chrisman. In the early 1900s his office was above the present Cook Drugs. Dr. Phillips was the next dentist to practice in Chrisman. He also had an office over the drug store for a few years.
About 1914 Dr. G. M. Trafton came to Chrisman. He had an office with Dr. Heald and Dr. Linebarger where Dr. Gonwa has his office at the present time. Dr. Linebarger and Dr. Trafton moved to the north side of the square when Dr. Conn and Dr. Gonwa Sr. purchased the Heald building. Later Dr. Trafton moved to Paris.
Dr. W. J. Gonwa, Sr. came to Chrisman in 1915 upon graduation from the Chicago College of Dental Surgery, Chicago, Illinois. He practiced dentistry here until 1958. Dr. David L. Danes purchased Dr. Gonwa's equipment and continued in his office for a short time until he moved to California. After Chrisman had been without a dentist for almost a year, Dr. James Reader, under the auspices of the Chrisman Lion's Club and business and professional men, came to the city. Dr. Reader, a graduate of the Chicago College of Dental Surgery (now part of Loyola University), erected his present office on the north side of the city square and began practice in 1960.
Dr. R. T. Kirsten, Optometrist, opened his office in Chrisman in September of 1968. Dr. Kirsten is a native of Paris and received his education at Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois; the University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois; and from the Illinois College of Optometry in Chicago. Dr. Kirsten makes his home in Chrisman, but also has an office in Marshall, Illinois which he serves on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday of each week.
Dr. Van Cleve came to Chrisman in 1908 and provided veterinary service for the community until about 1920 when they moved on to Peoria. Dr. J. Emmett Davis (formerly of Hume) filled the vacancy until his death in the late 1930's. During the next decade stock and pet owners had to rely on the surrounding communities for professional assistance.
Early in the fifties Dr. Robert Abel arrived from Marshall but moved on to Danville in 1960. However, this time the locality was not without aid for Dr. Kermit Frailey, a U. of IL graduate, from Ramsey, Illinois was on the scene and continues to doctor our four-legged population.
The first newspaper, ''The Chrisman Enterprise," was issued December 3, 1875, editors, Ben Biddlecum and Melvin Matheney. The first sheet run off the press was sold to Mathias Chrisman for five dollars. The second sheet was sold to William Hartley for three dollars.
The advertisements in this issue were: Stanfield & Mitchell, dry goods; Smith & Hartley, dry goods, the post office was in this store; H. M. Galloway, jewelry; W. S. Waltrip, hardware; E. Creators, painter; and M. Keys, dry goods. Melvin Matheney was the cartoon artist for the paper, contributing some good humor.
The first edition of the Enterprise spoke of the need for a new school and the second edition of a new city hall with a stage for theatrical performances and movable seats so the hall could be adapted for dancing and other purposes. In the first edition of the Enterprise the price of shelled corn was $.70, ear corn $.33-$.34, turkeys $.06-$.10 per pound, eggs $.15 per dozen, ham $.16-$.18 per pound, cheese $.20, coffee $.28-$.30, sugar $.ll-$.12 and salt $1.90 per barrel.
The paper was purchased by Jacobs and Thompson in 1876 and renamed "The Chrisman Leader." New advertisements included W. F. Stickle, restaurant and confectionery; Koons and Nelson, carpenters; E. J. Rafferty, livery, sale and feed barn, buggies, carriages, horses and lumber.
During the time the paper was owned by these men, the wedding of Florence Chrisman was solemnized at the Methodist Church and was given two columns of space. The Chrisman Progress came next in 1878, when the paper was published by G. W. Payne and Anna Cruikshank. The official director was Police Magistrate, D. W. Fouts; Supervisor, C. T. Caraway; Town Clerk, W. S. Waltrip; Commissioners of Highways, L. W. Stigleman, Benjamin Dickson and Amos Watson; Justices of the Peace, Joseph Weaver and Daniel Rogers; and the Constables were Joseph Ellsberry and J. P. Crawford.
New names in the business directory included: W. N. Newkirk, Mr. Coats, William Livett, Standiford Brothers, Camerer and Musselman, J. R. Sousley, Miss Pool and Miss Stewart, dressmaking; Miss Gunn, milliner. The second Village Board of Trustees consisted of Joseph Stanfield, John Moss, Joseph Weaver, William Roth, N. Y. Nelson and S. W. Thayer; Melvin Matheney, clerk; John Mitchell, treasurer; D. W. Fouts, police magistrate, and J. R. Sousley, marshal.
The next name for the paper was "The Chrisman Advance," in 1879. The paper was edited by new printers for short spaces of time until C. R. Livingston purchased the paper and began the improvement in size, type and all that goes with the printer's trade, until the paper became an asset instead of a liability. During the years the home of the paper was in various upper rooms along the west side of the square, until a building was erected for a permanent home west of the Camerer building and it was in this building when it was purchased by C. R. Livingston.
The Enterprise was published on Fridays, the Leader on Saturdays, the Advance on Wednesdays and the Courier on Fridays -- later on Thursdays.
In 1905 Mr. Livingston moved the paper to a modern brick building which he built south of the First National Bank. He continued publication until his death in 1933 when his daughter, Mrs. Fayelle L. Radabaugh, became editor and kept up the excellent standards of the paper. She sold the Courier to Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Kent in 1946.
The Kents published the Courier until 1964 when it was sold to Mr. Robert Hemphill who sold it to a publishing corporation which became the Edgar, Vermilion Publishers, Inc. This corporation ceased publication of the Courier December 31, 1969. After almost three months without a newspaper of its own, a group of enterprising business men succeeded in bringing Mr. Keith Tingley to Chrisman in March, 1970. Mr. Tingley publishes the Chrisman Leader at 140 West Madison Avenue. The Chrisman Leader competently serves Chrisman and the surrounding area including Ridgefarm, Metcalf, Scottland and Dana. A good newspaper is essential in a progressive community.
Mr. Robert Hoult, Chrisman route three started as a photographer in 1946. Later he and Mrs. Hoult enlarged their business to include catering of parties, weddings, etc. They now have an extensive business and are recognized throughout the state for their good photos, lovely cakes and mints, and for their ability to make parties and weddings beautiful and successful.
Earlier photographers in Chrisman were John Maughner, who operated a trailer type photo gallery just east of the First National Bank in 1905, W. N. Wells, Ashmore, Pettitt and Davis.
RADIO AND TELEVISION
Over the years Chrisman has had several people in the radio and television sales and service business. In 1946 Wendell and Helen Snyder opened a radio, record and TV shop in the room on the west side of the square where Fred Yates later had his barber shop. In 1957 the Snyders moved to 503 E. Monroe, and Snyder continued his TV repair business from his home. In 1960 they bought the property of Chet Marvin on Route 1 just north of Chrisman, and put up a new building from which he has since had his sales and service.
Mr. Snyder is one of the few men in this area who is qualified to install Closed Circuit TV such as those in our public schools, etc.
CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972