Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois
Centennial 1872-1972 on-line
Part 4

CHRISMAN BUSINESSES-Past and Present
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

Chrisman has always been fortunate to have an excellent business community. The next few pages are devoted to many of these businesses both past and present.

AUTOMOBILES and GARAGES

When the horseless carriage became so popular, little did anyone dream that one day the highways would be so crowded that it would become necessary to build freeways and toll roads to take care of people commuting to and from their place of employment and for the tourists.

In the spring of 1904 the first automobiles were purchased by Chrisman citizens. They were "Oldsmobile type of the two passenger style" and the first purchasers were Oscar Jones, C. J. Holden and A. G. Tucker. Before many months several of our citizens were driving five-passenger cars. Mr. and Mrs. Willis Holden, one of the owners, drove to Paris in just 63 minutes. The first cars were not used in the winter. Most of them were jacked up and kept in the Holden and Tucker Garage or in their own barns and garages.


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

The first automobile dealership in Chrisman was operated by Holden and Tucker. They originally sold the Auburn and were located in the building where the Francis Robison John Deere is located today. They also sold the Empire automobile.

Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

For a short time, in the 1920 s, E. M. Miller sold the Franklin. Guy W. York was a car dealer for a time in the Mooney Building on the south side of the square. In 1937 the G & L Chevrolet was opened by Galeener and Lindley in the present Mooney site.

Galeener later moved to the John Deere site. Dick Fulton was associated in the Chevrolet business. Later Don Lindley and Howard Wilson were partners in a Chevrolet Agency at the Mooney site, and later Wilson had his own business in the present Hixon site. Mr. Wilson sold his business to Mat Barkman of Danville in 1955, and he in turn sold it to Mr. Banta in 1957. In 1958 it was sold to Harold Hixon who still operates the agency. Mr. Hixon moved to Chrisman from Marshall, IL.

Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

The Scott Brothers, Purl and Guy at one time had a Ford Agency in the present Hixon location. For several years Keith and Max Culton sold Fords in the present Mooney Building.

In 1953 Mr. and Mrs. Norman Mooney purchased the Ford Agency. Mooney Motors is one of the largest Ford dealers in the nation to be located in a town the size of Chrisman. They have won many honors for their excellent salesmanship.

Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

The building on the east side of the square which now houses Speed Wash was owned and operated by Glenn Compton and E. P. Jones and later by Mr. Jones. They had the Kaiser-Frazier Agency.

This same building was purchased by the Sanders Brothers, Claude (Slim) and Dave. They moved their Pontiac Agency to this location from Punkin Center where they had been in business for a number of years. After Dave's death in 1963, the business was carried on by Slim alone until 1966 when he gave up the Pontiac Agency and sold the building to Norman Mooney.

Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

With the rapid growth of the automobile age sprang the need for a new business -- that of dispensing gasoline and oil products and parts for repairs. Thus gasoline tank wagons and filling stations began to appear. Also farm machinery changed from the horse drawn to gasoline propelled machinery serviced by a gasoline tank wagon.

As there have been many different filling stations and owners and managers in the Chrisman area, only a few of the past and present are pictured below.

Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line
BANKING

Standiford Bank
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

During the 1880's Alex and Edgar Standiford owned and operated the Sandiford Brothers Bank, a private institution in a brick structure on the west side of the square. They lived in pretentious homes at the west edge of Chrisman, and in general held the respect of the community.

Then one morning, in 1891, the bank did not open. Alex and Edgar had absconded with the bank funds. Many people's savings, proceeds from a recent farm sale, and large deposits of insurance settlements collected after the recent disastrous fire which consumed the frame buildings on the west side were included in the deposits. Thousands and thousands of dollars were missing.

[From: The Daily Nevada State Journal, October 4, 1891: BIG BANK FAILURE; Special to the Journal; TERRA HAUTE, IND, Oct. 3 -- An Express special from Paris, Ill, says: New developments make the bank wrecking of Standiford Brothers at Chrisman worse. About one month ago the bank building was burned and the Standifords opened for business the next morning on the west side of the square. They went to a few of their largest depositors and told them the safe was so hot they could not open it without destroying everything it contained and asked these parties to give them their notes for $10,000 each for thirty days and they could get them discounted here in this city and go ahead with their business. For accommodation, three of these notes were given and others were given amounting to $50,000 in all. The Standifords got the money on these notes. If the signers of these notes are compelled to pay them, it may ruin them. This fact has been kept secret until today. This will make the Standifords' liabilities over $200,000. The safe was opened by an expert today and all it contained was $70 in small coin. The grand jury returned fifteen indictments for forgery, embezzlement, obtaining money under false pretences and larceny. The county will offer a reward of $1,000 for the capture of the Standiford brothers.]


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

Due to this unwelcome incident, people far and wide learned the location of Chrisman. Merchants on buying trips to Chicago or Cincinnati had but to say "Chrisman' and people had heard of the big bank robbery. One local family on a vacation trip to California, a decade later, encountered strangers who knew the particulars.

Alex's family stayed on; the wife taught a Sunday School Class at the Methodist Church and children, Edgar and Lucy, attended school When Lucy graduated from high school, twelve years later they moved to Mrs. Standiford's hometown.

State Bank of Chrisman

On August 11, 1891, C. W. Pavery, Auditor of the State of Illinois, granted R. S. Cusick, William Hartley, Willis O. Pinnell and R. G. Sutherland permission to organize a Bank of Banking Association to be known as the State Bank of Chrisman with a capital stock of $30,000 divided into 300 shares of $100.00 each. January 5, 1892, a charter was issued to the State Bank of Chrisman by the state of Illinois.

The bank was opened on the west side of the square where Dr. Kirsten's office is today. The old bank vault is still in this building. The first directors of the bank were: R. S. Cusick, Will Hartley. A. B. Huston, E. W. Hartley, J. A. Earhart, William Jones and W. B. Galway. R. S. Cusick was the first president and Will Hartley the first cashier. Other early presidents were E. W. Hartley and A. K. Hartley. Early cashiers were R S. Cusick, E W. Hartley and D. O. Light. Mr. Light served as cashier for almost 37 years.

On November 13, 1915, the bank purchased the lots from J. O. Kizer where it is located today and set about the planning and erection of a new and modern bank. The building committee members were: H. H. Adams, C. A. Newkirk, J. Russ Grace, D. Owen Light, J. R. Hartley, W. N. Newkirk, F. J. Light, and O. B. Riley. Architects for the building were George C. Liese and George W. Ludwich, and the contractors were Harry Rinesmith and Israel D. Smith.


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

The officers of the new bank in 1916 were: C. A. Newkirk, President; D. Owen Light, Cashier and F. J. Light, Assistant Cashier. Mr. Newkirk served as president 28 years. Other presidents were Raymond Newlin, O. N. Brothers, J. V. Rogers, Dr. C. L. Kerrick, R. A. Peters and James Freeman. Cashiers were B. M. Riley, R. A. Peters, R. H. Daily, and Raymond Newlin. Some directors were: Cash Newkirk, F. R. Grace, Max Newlin, Ruth Couch, J. Thomas, B. M. Riley, Madge Conn, Daisey Kerrick, Ralph Donovan and Roger Yontz.

After a fire in January 1970, the bank was remodeled and redecorated. An open house was held during the city's Western Days Celebration on July 10th and 11th. The present officers are: A. J. Wegeng, President; Russell H. Dailey, Executive Vice President; Zelma Garver, Vice President and Cashier.

First National Bank

On October 12, 1903 an application was made to the Comptroller of the Currency to reserve title for The First National Bank of Chrisman. On October 15, 1903 approval was received and title was reserved. Articles of Association were executed on December 19, 1903 by the following subscribers who were also appointed directors: Jesse B. Lindley, Silvanus W. Neighbors, Alfred W. Lindley, Jonathan Lindley, William T. Watson, and Noah Gaddis.

At a special meeting of the Board of Directors held on January 14, 1904 the following officers were appointed -- Silvanus W. Neighbors, President; William T. Watson, Vice-President; J. B. Lindley, Cashier; and L. A. Osborne, Assistant Cashier. The bank opened for business February 1, 1904. It was temporarily opened in a room owned by A. E. Schnitker on the south side of the square in about the location of the present Yates TV business. The new bank building was then in a planning stage. The bank moved into the present building upon its completion in 1904. The east half of the present building housed a grocery store later operated by Charles Ballard and Chester Kelly; afterward owned and occupied by the American Legion Post. Dr. J. L. Funkhouser had offices in the immediate rear of the bank quarters and Sidney W. Ramey operated a barber shop at the rear of the building until his death. The second floor of the building has been the home of the I.O.O.F. and Rebekah Lodges all these years.


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

As the Chrisman community grew and prospered, so did the bank. It has always been recognized as one of the soundest banks in Eastern Illinois, and one of its proudest days was when bank officials were notified by the Comptroller of the Currency to open for business the morning after the "Bank Moratorium" in 1933. On that date all the banking business in Edgar County was done in Chrisman.

In the early years of business, new directors included William M. Smith, Walter B. Swank, C. L. Kenton, Fred K. Thayer, W. T. Scott, George W. Fair, William T. Watson, W. E. Holden, James Hoult, Charles Hoult, W. F. Hoult, R. P. Morris, Dr. E. G. Conn, Roscoe G. Smith, Walter J. Gonwa, Sr., Frank McCuddy, and C. E. Scott.

The following men have served the bank in the capacity of President - Silvanus W. Neighbors (1904), A. W. Lindley (1905), William M. Smith (1906-1911), W. E. Holden (1912-1916), William M. Smith (1917-1924), J. B. Lindley (1924-1943), John Wasson (1944-1947), Frank McCuddy (1948-1962), and Donald J. Lindley (1962-present).

Cashiers of the bank have included -- J. B. Lindley (1904-1923), Frank McCuddy (1924-1947), Robert Wyatt (1948), Hilah Bishop (1948-1959), J. Harlan Owen (1960-1971), and Don O. Tate (1971-present).

J. B. Lindley served the bank for 39 years as Cashier and President. Frank McCuddy served the bank as bookkeeper, cashier and President for over 50 years. J. Harlan Owen started his career in the bank in 1952. He served as Assistant Cashier, Cashier, and at the time of his retirement in 1971, he was Executive Vice-President and Cashier.

In 1968 a Trust Department and Farm Management Department were organized. In 1969 the bank purchased the building on the east side from the American Legion, and in 1970 did major remodeling and expanded into that building. The present board of directors consist of Donald J. Lindley (Chairman of the Board), Paul L. Scott. Dr. W. J. Gonwa, Jr., George V. Dole, J. Harlan Owen, Raymond L. Steward, Roger R. Schnitker, and Don O. Tate.

The present officers of the bank are Donald J. Lindley (President), Don O. Tate (Executive Vice-President and Cashier), Roger R. Schnitker (Vice-President), Raymond L. Stewart (Assistant Cashier and Assistant Trust Officer), Patricia Langford (Assistant Cashier), and Paul L. Scott (Trust Officer).


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
BARBER SHOPS
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

Some barbers of the early 1900's were William (Billy) Nichols and his son, Charles; J. M. Heidrick, Merle Fulton; Sid Ramey and Sid's brother-in-law, Mr. Freeman. Sid Ramey came to Chrisman in 1900 and first worked shining shoes.

Later Mr. Freeman came and they operated their own barber shop. They were the only colored men to ever make their homes in Chrisman. Mr. Freeman left after a short time, but Mr. Ramey conducted his shop south of the First National Bank for many years.

More recent well-known barbers were Mr. Ted Lundgren and Mr. John Hubbard. Today Mr. Fred Yates and Mr. Richard Walls operate shops in Chrisman.

Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line
BEAUTY SHOPS

The population of beauty shops in Chrisman has waivered with the winds, but the demand for them will never die for women's whims will always center on their "crowning glory" their hair. Two of our first beauty operators still have shops here today.

Fresh out of beauty school, William Carl Board opened the Karl's Beauty Salon in February of 1939. The location was upstairs over Hanger's Meat Market, in the Hula Parks' Building. The price of a shampoo and set was from 35c to 50c and permanents were from $2.00 to $5.00. Now you can go as high as $100.00 for a permanent. Three years later the salon was moved to the Ed Jones Building, upstairs over the Louie Turner Drug and Sundries Store. About 20 years ago, the Fred Light Building at 207 West Monroe Avenue, was purchased for the salon where it is still located.


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

With trophies from five different states and a second in the national and being a permanent member of the Illinois Hair Fashion Committee, Mr. Board and the salon have carried on with the assistance of many: Sarah Lunger, Opal Bennet Hoult, Geraldine White, Kathryn Hawkins, Connie Henry, Nita Thomas, Phyles Truelove, and for the last five years, Karen Frazee.

Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

Mrs. Lavila Felgar opened Lavila Felgar's Beauty Parlor August 29, 1939 on the south side of the Chrisman square in the building known as the Dr. O. R. Scott Building. In May of 1944, the Felgars bought the Armita Moss house at 222 E. Monroe. They moved their shop there and are still in business at this location.

Other beauty shops in Chrisman at the present time are: Mary Lou Brinkley's Shop, 202 E. Madison; Wilma McCann, 604 E. Monroe; Sue's Beauty Shop, 212 E. Madison; Charlotte's Charm Shop, 624 E. Lincoln; Jo's Beauty Shop, 711 E. Jackson; Nila's Beauty Shop, 223 S. Iowa, and Jean Thompson's Beauty Shop, 731 E. Jefferson Avenue.


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
BLACKSMITHS
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

The blacksmith of the earlier days was an essential part of the community and transportation industry as it was he who shod the horses and worked and repaired iron. The first lot sold in Chrisman was purchased by Mr. Frank and Mr. James Earhart. On this lot they set up the first blacksmith shop in the village. The United Methodist Church stands on the site today.

The two brothers had been in the same business with a third brother, Mr. Charles Earhart, at Bloomfield. Charles moved first to Edgar and had a shop there for a while. Then he, too, moved to Chrisman and with his son, Elmer, operated a blacksmith shop. In those days much of the time was spent in the shoeing of horses. Frank and James Earhart moved their shop to the north side of the square. It was just east of the alley and next was an implement store which Mr. James Earhart operated.

Other blacksmiths were James Sloat whose shop was on the east side of Iowa Street between Madison and Monroe Avenues, Tutor Etchison, Harry Yates, C. C. Smitley and Cloyd (Noodles) Ellis.

Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

Mr. Yates, Smitley and Ellis all operated the shop on the north side of the square at different times. Mr. Smitley, a former mayor, operated a blacksmith shop in Chrisman for many years. His last shop, which he still owns, was in the old Rayfield building and he worked at his trade here until about five years ago.

Mr. Ellis engaged in other blacksmith work, but did not shoe horses. In the last issue of the Chrisman Courier on December 24, 1969, a large picture of Mr. Ellis before his present shop and a short resume of his work was given. "Noodles" has been in business in Chrisman since 1924. At that time he operated a garage in "Punkin Center" just south of the Mooney Used Car Lot on Route #1. He opened his first Blacksmith Shop in 1935. Since that time he has occupied various locations. He has been at his present location about 18 years. This is the site of the first building built in Chrisman and is just south of the Christian Church.


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

Chrisman has one citizen who shoes horses today. Mr. Allen Gardner devotes his full time to this work and carries his "tools of the trade" with him when answering calls.

DRUG STORES

Mr. James Boles and son John operated the first drug store in Chrisman. They came from Bloomfield in 1872 and opened their store on the northwest corner of the north side of the square. The next record we have of a drug store in Chrisman was one owned by Camerer & Musselman located at the northwest corner of the square. In 1891 Mr. A. E. Schnitker came from Cincinnati, Ohio. He and his father-in-law, Mr. W. T. Gilkey, purchased the stock of Camerer & Musselman. On July 20, 1891 fire destroyed the entire west side with the exception of the building where the drug store was. During the next few years the west side was rebuilt and Mr. W. E. and Charles Holden opened a drug store which later was operated by Mr. W. R. Green. In 1906 Mr. Schnitker and his brother-in-law, Mr. R. L. Waldruff, purchased the stock of Holden Brothers. They conducted the business until 1913 when Roger Schnitker bought out Mr. Waldruff's interest and the business was known as A. E. Schnitker & Son.

This business continued until 1946 when it was sold to Mr. C. V. Cummins. Then in 1957 it was sold to Mr. Ben R. Cook now known as Cooks Drug Store.


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

Mr. A. J. Shurte had a drug store for several years located in what is now Wolfe's Auto Supply Store.

Mr. Chester Johnson had a drug store, later owned by Mr. George Lyons, on the north side of the square in what is now Bill's Mower Shop.

DRY GOODS, SHOES and CLOTHING STORES

The first building erected in the village was by Samuel Kenton, in the fall of 1872. This was a storehouse, and was occupied by Jacob Brant and C. A. Smith in one part of the building, with a stock of dry goods and groceries, and in the other part by Messrs. Boles and Son with a stock of drugs. These gentlemen then, were the pioneers in business in Chrisman. The building was later occupied by J. R. Sousley in the grocery trade, and by S. W. Thayer with dry goods.

Alexander Clark also built a store the same fall into which Stanfield and Mitchell put into one part dry goods and groceries; and Stubbs, Rafferty, and Johns occupied the other part with hardware. (Picture in Chrisman's General History Section.)


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

The first exclusive men's clothing store in Chrisman was established in 1904 by E. M. Miller. Mr. Miller, his wife and two daughters moved to Chrisman from Shelbyville in February and the store was opened for business in March. It was located where the Villager is today. One daughter, Mrs. W. J. Brothers, still lives in Chrisman. The other daughter, Mrs. Harry Jarvis, lives in Detroit.


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

The Ellis Brothers; Everett and Hobart, operated one of the best and well-known clothing stores in the county for many years. On the death of Everett Ellis in 1935, Hobart continued in the store until his death in 1946. Mrs. Ellis and Roger Schnitker continued to run the business until it was taken over by Mrs. Ellis' son, Robert, in 1960.

In 1925 Mrs. E. P. Jones and Mrs. Ruby Newlin started a Dry Goods store on the west side of the square, now occupied by "The Villager." In 1929 Mrs. Newlin bought full interest in the store and continued in its operation until her health forced her to close in 1964. In August 1964 Mrs. Ben Cook did extensive remodeling to the same building and has given Chrisman an up-to-date women's shop called "The Villager."


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

In July of 1952, Mr. and Mrs. Russell Kime of Indiana opened a family shoe and men's clothing store in Chrisman in the building now occupied by Wolfe's Auto Supply. The Kimes retired in 1959, and sold their store to Mr. and Mrs. E. O. Tate. Then later Robert Ellis sold his store to the Tates and they moved to the Ellis building and continued to run a family shoe store and men's clothing store until Mr. Tate retired in 1964. This building is now occupied by the Legion.

At the present time Adam's Clothing, owned by Dale and Barbara Adams continues to furnish Chrisman and the surrounding territory with up-to-date men's and boys' clothing.


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
FURNITURE AND UNDERTAKING
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

The first Furniture Store was operated by Melvin Matheney and Joseph Weaver around 1875. At this time furniture dealers were actually cabinet makers and carpenters, therefore, when a death occurred, the furniture dealer or carpenter was contacted for a coffin. Melvin Matheney Furniture and Undertaking business was completely lost in the fire of 1891.

Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

The next firm was known as Matheney and Cretors. About 1900, William Wasson bought Matheney's share and the business name was changed to Wasson and Cretors. Very shortly after this (possibly 1902) the late John M. Wasson joined his father and the firm continued operations as Wasson and Son. They owned the first Auto Hearse in Chrisman.

In 1920 John T. Owen bought the Wasson and Son Furniture and Undertaking business located in the building now occupied by Samford Hardware Store.


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois<br /> Centennial 1872-1972 on-line

Mr. Owen continued to operate the Furniture store in that location. In 1933 he purchased the F. W. Scanlon residence at 121 E. Monroe Avenue (presently owned by Robert and Dale Adams). This building was remodeled into Chrisman's first Funeral Home.

In 1940, the firm name was changed to John T. Owen & Son when J. Harlan Owen joined his father in the business. In 1947 the Owen Funeral Business was sold to O. Raman Scott. The Owen family sold the Furniture business in 1949 to Lloyd Bowyer of Newman, who closed out the business a short time later.

The only other retail Furniture Store was owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. George Sherfey in the building east of Dr. Linebarger's Office. The Sherfey Furniture Store was closed out in the early 1950's due to ill health. Mr. and Mrs. J. Ben Jenness are presently operating a used Furniture Store in the old Post Office building on the north west corner of the square.

O. Raman Scott opened Scott Funeral Home at 602 E. Madison Avenue in 1935. He purchased the Owen Funeral Business in 1947. The Scott Funeral Home continued until 1967 when Ronald Bolen entered the firm. Mr. Bolen is presently operating the business as Scott-Bolen Funeral Home at the same location.


CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
This on-line production is based on the original
centennial work of 1972 and a reissue of same
in 1997 by the Chrisman Public Library;
transcription, organization and web publication
provided by Ronald E. Yates; 2012; In memory of:
Arthur Yates 1881-1964 and Harry Yates 1888-1969
This page was last modified: Sunday, 01-Sep-2013 15:17:13 MDT
Short Permalink for this page: http://alturl.com/une2v test link