Chrisman, Edgar County, Illinois
Centennial 1872-1972 on-line
The Hoult Cemetery has served as a burial place for the people of the Chrisman area for the past one hundred-thirty years. The first burial in the Hoult Cemetery was made in 1842. This was a nine month old child named T. Jollicliff. This burial was followed by two more members of the Jollicliff family; James H. Jollicliff aged 55 years in 1844 and Polly Jollicliff, an infant in 1845.
No more burials were made until 1851 when two children of the Hoult family were buried. Their names were Adolphus and Virginia and their ages were both one year. Elisha Hoult who was the first of the Hoult family to settle in the area was also buried there in 1851 at the age of 66 years. Our records show that his wife, Dorothy, was buried there in 1862 at the age of 77 years.
The original plot of the cemetery contains forty-three graves and includes many of the first settlers. Members of the families of McKee, Manning, Wynn, Wyatt and Hoult were buried there during the early years of the cemetery. The average age of the forty-three people who are buried on the original plot is thirty-one years. Many of them were infants and young children.
The cemetery was known as the Hoult Graveyard. On July 22, 1871 a group of men having families buried there met at the graveyard for the purpose of establishing a public burying ground and selecting a board of trustees.
Those present at that meeting were John, Samuel and John McKee Jr., Matthew and Eugenia Hoult, Melvin, John and Oliver Manning, William, James S. and E. W. Hartley and Thomas Wyann.
The first trustees elected were Samuel McKee, president; James S. Hartley, secretary and Thomas Wyann, Trustee. On July 25, 1871 two acres of land was purchased, from John and Caroline Manning for the sum of seventy dollars. Lots were then laid out and established as a public burying ground.
July 17, 1886, the trustees met and drew up a set of laws for regulating the operation of the cemetery. They applied for a charter to operate as a corporation, known as the Hoult Cemetery. The trustee board was then changed to five members. The Charter was then granted, by Secretary of State on September 1, 1886.
The work above was sponsored by B. C. CHRISTOPHER, Chrisman and Scottland, Illinois Lenoard Fuel, Mgr.
On November 15, 1886 Elizabeth Hartley deeded thirty acres of land adjoining the original plot to the Hoult Cemetery for the use of burial purposes. On December 26, 1926, twelve acres of land was deeded to the cemetery by Artie Hartley and in March 1950 an additional twelve acres were deeded to the cemetery by Ida Mitchell making a total of fifty-six acres now owned by the cemetery.
New plots have been laid out through the years for burial purposes and the cemetery now has a total of four hundred fifty-five plotted lots.
The first permanent settler of the township was William Trimble, who came from Kentucky in 1825 and later Frank Lowry, also from Kentucky, settled near Mr. Trimble. The Lowry farm was later sold to John Summerville and is the land directly east of Chrisman. By 1830 the families of Frank Lowry, John Summerville, Augustus Wyatt, Thomas Holden, Joseph Munn, Horatio Blanchard and Joshua Van Fleet were living in the township.
The first homes were on the north fork of Brouilletts Creek, just east of the present city of Chrisman. The houses were constructed of round logs and were usually about sixteen by twenty feet with a partition thru the center and a large fireplace in one room for cooking as well as heat. The Horatio Blanchard double log house stood where the home of the late Harold Yelton stands today.
Robert Knuckles was the owner of the first tavern in the township. It was located on the site now containing the home of Elmer Malone at the north edge of Chrisman. Abraham Lincoln frequently called it his "half way place," because he was a frequent guest here on his trips to and from Chicago. The front of the building faced the "Chicago Wagon Road." The house was erected about 1838 by Robert Knuckles and operated as a tavern there until about 1860. He sold the land to George Wellman, who in turn sold it to Josephus Scott.
The township was organized as a separate precinct in 1857. The following officers were elected: Supervisor, John G. Green; Clerk, Franklin F. Barber; Overseer of the poor, Robert Swank; Commissioners of Highways, C. A. Clark, Michael Kizer and William Adams; Constables, Girard M. Osborn and Joseph Doherty; Assessor, James Gaines.
The Ocean to Ocean Pike's Peak Highway came through Chrisman about 1912. This highway extended from New York to San Francisco. Its route through Chrisman was west on Monroe Avenue and north on Illinois Street (including the south and west sides of the square) to Washington Street and west. The highway markers were painted red, white and blue and were lettered P.P. - 0.0. When the state constructed Illinois 121, a new east-west paved road, the Ocean to Ocean Highway, a good rock road, became one of our better rural roads. Illinois 121 later became the present U. S. 36.
Illinois Route 1 first entered Chrisman from the south on Ohio Street. It came north to East Madison Avenue and east to State Street. In 1921 the highway was moved to its present location and paved.
The work above was sponsored by DERRAL, NAOMI, DARRA, LYNN, CAROLYN and CARLA WILSON, Chrisman, Illinois; MR. AND MRS. CECIL E. SMITH AND FAMILY, Chrisman, Illinois; In memory of MR. AND MRS. JAMES GAINES, MR. AND MRS. J. RUSS GRACE,
AND MR. AND MRS. J. ROSCOE GRACE by Boone Farms; DAIRY QUEEN, Paris, Illinois
CHURCHES OF CHRISMAN
You go to your church, and I'll go to mine.
But let's walk along together;
Our heavenly Father loves us all
So let's walk along together
(By Phillips H. Lord)
The Church of the Nazarene was organized February 20, 1916 by Rev. W. G. Surman with eleven charter members. Rev. C. A. Dent of Olivet was the first pastor.
Rev. Jack VanAllen was able to build a basement church and in June 1941 plans were made to build the auditorium over the basement. The beautiful brick work was done by Boyd Kegley.
Many friends assisted with the labor and money. The pastor at this time was Rev. Melton with Glen Davis as Sunday School superintendent. In 1966 the members of the church decided to sell the church and it was purchased by the American Legion and was deeded to the City of Chrisman. The building is now used as a Community Center.
The members of the church bought the land where the old Gray place stood and a new church was started. The building was dedicated June 18, 1967. Rev. and Mrs. Cecil Carroll came August 1, 1967 from Pittsfield, IL. Under the leadership of Rev. Carroll the church has continued to grow.
The work above was sponsored by THE JOE TAYLORS, Joe, Fritz, Nancy and Rick, Chrisman, Illinois; THE JOHNSON BROS., Larry and Ginger, Pam, Vicki and Sheri Johnson, Robert W. and Maryellen,Debbie Jo and Tony Johnson and Rick Martin
The Universalist Church of Chrisman was completed m 1877 costing $2,500. Rev. D. P. Bunn was the first minister and N Y Nelson was superintendent for the Sunday School. The church was later sold to the Christian denomination and then to the Presbyterians. This church stood where the home of Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Smith now stands.
The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1873. Rev. A. L. Knox was the first pastor and
William Livett was superintendent of the Sunday School. Services were held for years in the Camerer's Hall which was over the old post office.
The church was built in 1881 and the building committee consisted of Robert Swank, John Williams, John Moss and Harvey Stubbs. In 1952 the Presbyterian Church was sold to Mrs. Maude Thomas and Mrs. Madge Conn, former members of the church. They bought the building to prevent its being torn down or used for other purposes.
THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH
Mrs. Thomas and Mrs. Conn gave Rev. M. H. Wright permission to use the Presbyterian Church free of charge. On September 28, 1952 Rev. Wright preached his first sermon.
The church was then known as the Christian Church. Rev. Wright served as minister until June 27, 1954. In 1960 while Rev. John Gharst was minister, work was started on the church annex. These rooms are used as class rooms and for social gatherings.
The work above was sponsored by MOONEY MOTORS, INC., Your Ford Dealer in Chrisman, Illinois; Norman and Phyllis Mooney, Jim Wilson, Dale Carico, Jim Henderson, Ray Waltz, Linda Hartman, Rudy Denton, Tom Coonce, Bob McKee, Jack Hollis, Rich Gilkerson, Bud Waltz, Jerry Waltz, Paul Harp, K. P. Palmer, Norm Krable, Billy Mitchell, Steve Galvin
During April 1968 the church steeple and bell were removed. Made in Switzerland, the bell was originally presented to the church by Mary J. Foley on her 18th birthday. The bell is now mounted on a Bedford stone base and is located in the yard south of the church. Rev. Read serves as pastor and the church continues to grow.
Mathias Chrisman offered to give lots to church organizations in the town of Chrisman. The Baptist denomination was the first to accept the offer and the church was moved from Bloomfield where it had been since 1842. In 1873 the Baptists built a new frame church costing $6,000. Rev. William McMasters was the first minister and James and John McKee, Lewis Woodyard, and J. S. Hartley were influential in the organization and building of the church.
A peculiar idea in the architecture of this building was the placing of two chimneys in the north end and wood stoves in the south end. Green wood in the stoves kept the long stretches of pipe directly over the aisles dripping with creosote. Then the next winter coal stoves were tried and the pipes clogged with soot. Finally Mr. Cash Chrisman furnished fuel and lights for $65.00.
In April 1904 the church was remodeled for $8,000.00 and the dedication services were held on December 10, 1905. In 1967 the work was completed on a $26,000.00 educational building. The contractor was Robert Jenkins. The building committee was Edgar Dixon, Rena Riggen, Mae Sanders, Lannie Robison, Franklin Low, Dorothy Rogers, and Archie Samford. This section is now used for classrooms. Rev. Robert Craig is the pastor.
The first Methodist Church in Chrisman was organized in 1861 and met at the Cross Roads School House which stood across from our present high school. In 1875 a church was built on lots now used by the John Deere Implements. By 1890 church memberships had grown so large it was necessary to build an addition. In 1905 the need became urgent again for a larger church and steps were taken leading to the erection of a new church.
Rev. R. Y. Williams was the pastor at this time. The last meeting in the old church was held on March 18, 1906. The old building was then sold to William Welch, the liveryman.
The work above was sponsored by PARRISH INSURANCE, 118 S Central, Paris, III Phone 465-4148; ELAM'S TAVERN, "Where Friends Meet," Metcalf, Illinois; J. C. PENNEY, "The Values Are Here Every Day," Paris Illinois; McCOY'S SHOE STORE, Pans, Illinois
The work above was sponsored by FRANCIS C. ROBISON, JOHN DEERE SALES & SERVICE, Chrisman, Illinois; Francis and Goldie Robison, Betty Ingram, Dennis Radke, Emmett Smith, Ernest Pollock, George Drake, Bob Ingram, Mike Ingram, Don Lange, Roy Hanks, Carroll Fonner, Roy Tyler, Everett Shuler, Woody Ayres, Donna Crispin, Steve Drake and Tom Liles
The land for the new church was bought from James Earhart. The cornerstone was laid on October 24, 1906. After the construction was started, the east main vestibule collapsed, taking the entire front and two sides with it and the cornerstone had to be relaid. Work was finally completed and the dedication services were held on Sept. 29, 1907. Before the dedication $8,000 had been pledged and the remaining $10,000 was pledged at the dedication services.
In 1933 the Methodist Church had the first organized Children's Choir in the community. They were under the leadership of Miss Alice Glithero, director, Mrs. W. B. Swank, organist, and Rev. Sutton, minister. Many improvements have been added to the church since the dedication. Rev. Glenn Grammer is the pastor at the present time.
The work above was sponsored by KARL'S BEAUTY SALON, Karl Board; MARY LOU BRINKLEY'S SHOP, Caleb, Mary Lou and Steve Brinkley; CHARLOTTE'S CHARM SHOP, John, Charlotte, LaRinda, Craig and LuCinda Kindred; LAVILA'S BEAUTY PARLOR, Mr. and Mrs. 0. H. Felgar
CHRISMAN AREA HOMES----YESTERYEAR AND TODAY
Chrisman has long been noted for its nice homes and the pride its residents exhibit in maintaining their lawns and surroundings A drive through the residential sections of town in the summer will point out to even the most casual stranger the interest and care that residents take in their neatly mowed lawns, flower gardens, and upkeep of their homes.
In the next few paragraphs are pictured a few of the older homes in the Chrisman area with a brief description of each.
Built in 1895 by James Hoult and occupied by him or family since. Only slight changes have been made in architectural appearance. With lathe and jigsaw the late Victorian age produced ''carpenter's frenzy" in porch trims and brackets. Porch banisters have been removed and a patterned slate roof has given way to rubberoid one. Four picture windows and a back porch breezeway are from the beginning.
Rooms have high ceilings and ornate woodwork. Most of the wood came from the old family farm - white oak, wild cherry, black walnut, and butternut. This wood was carved in Rockville, Indiana.
The home of Joseph B. Moss and Madge Kendall Moss of 308 N. Alabama St., Chrisman, Illinois is one of the older homes in the Chrisman area. According to the records the 2 1/2 acre plot was established and deeds recorded at Paris, Illinois on November 8, 1880.
The four room house with wide entrance hallway was erected for Delia Earhart by her father between the years 1883 and 1887. While it was a small house, it was considered to be one of the best constructed and of the finest material available.
The paternal grandparents of Mr. Moss acquired the property in 1891 and added a room to the back of the house to be used as a kitchen and dining room.
The work above was sponsored by STATE BANK OF CHRISMAN, Established 1891, General Banking - Trust Department; CHRISMAN LUMBER COMPANY, Chrisman, Illinois, Phone 269-2532 House Bros., Bart and Paul House
Some members of the family have continuously occupied the home to the present time. Madge and Joe Moss bought the home in 1943. Even though remodeling and additions have been made in the home, the original heavy joists and massive framing timbers were left intact.
From the original cottage to the gracious 1972 version with its indirect lighting, Tennessee Crab Orchard stone fireplace, bay window planter as an integral part of the living room, glass block wall in the master bath, and many other custom built features, the house has become most modern. The original owners cellar was made into a larger basement which now houses a complete air conditioning system, a pocket billiards room and a family hobby center - all designed and executed by the owners.
202 East Madison was a girlhood home of Mrs. Olive Stanfield in the later 1800's, her father Josephus, a local merchant, having purchased it from Jimmy Johns. It was next owned and occupied by a Carson family until Guy York purchased it in the 1940's and made many changes inside and added the front west room and one to the back. By the early fifties Mrs. York was alone, so she built a smaller home to the north and sold the larger one to Herbert P. Shirrefs - then to High School Principal Davis. Caleb and Mary Lou Brinkley purchased it in 1958 and are responsible for many decorative changes including the rear porch with wrought iron posts and trim shuttered facade.
The land was purchased from Mathias Chrisman on November 1880 by Clement and Hettie Standiford. Evidently Mr. and Mrs. Standiford had traveled extensively throughout the south, because the two-story home they built on this land was of Georgian
Revival Architecture; the southern Plantation look. The bay window on the front is very Victorian. The two large and two small columns on the front are of the Ionic Greek Architecture having scrolls in the capitals of the columns. This house was one of the first of Georgian Architecture built in Illinois.
The house was sold April 1892 to Thomas G. Ellis, and then sold to William F. Hoult on March 1894. Robert R. and Lucille Yontz purchased the property in September, 1949. The house had stood empty for fifteen years. A large remodeling project was initiated on the outside of the house.
The inside was also remodeled, retaining the walnut hand carved banisters and newel post, very Victorian Gothic Revival, with steep peak, as found in the Church of England. The top parts of two large glass window panes in the dining room are of stained glass from the period of Bohemia glass.
The work above was sponsored by ILLINOIS AUCTION, Don Neal, Paris, Illinois; PARIS LIVESTOCK SALES and DECKERS HOG MARKET, Pans, Illinois; EDGAR COUNTY MARKETING ASS'N., (Your daily hog market), Paris, Illinois; EDGAR COUNTY SUPPLY CO., 204 Ten Broeck Street, Paris,IL
The Yontz's with their children, Beth, Robert Jr., and Katrina moved into their remodeled home in August 1950. The children are married and have homes of their own now, but return with grand-children to visit this lovely old home.
The home of the John Harlan See family at 202 North Alabama Street was known, in the early days, as the Mathias Chrisman "summer home." Construction date of the house is unknown but it is now the oldest in Chrisman for it was here when the city was laid out. In 1898, James R. Hartley, arriving from West Virginia, via the C. H. and D. railroad, purchased the home and surrounding farm land from John Moss. This was the first sale in this part of the country for which $100 an acre was paid. The house has been occupied continuously since by his descendants; foster daughter, Nettie L. Hall Glick, granddaughter, Mary Jane Glick See, and now great-grandson and his children.
Other than the hard maple trees, two rooms, one upstairs and one downstairs on the south, added by Mr. Hartley in 1898 and the removal of the white picket fence in 1924, the exterior of the home retains its nineteenth century character.
Inside the chimneys for fireplaces and stoves in each room have been replaced by steam heat to make more comfortable surroundings. The rooms are large with lovely black walnut woodwork and the open stairway and newel post is in walnut and the dining room is paneled in walnut and ash.
This house at 324 Alabama Avenue is 92 years old. The property on which this house as built was deeded by the United States Government to Abraham Smith on December 27, 1838. Abraham Smith sold the land to Thomas Littlefield in 1848, and Thomas Littlefield sold to Mathias and Philip Chrisman in 1851. In 1880 Mathias and Mary Chrisman sold a portion of land to Alexander B. and John E. Standiford; known as the Standiford Brothers. Alexander and Hettie Standiford built their home at 324 Alabama and John built next door, both sharing the barn.
In 1891 after the Standiford Brothers absconded with the money from their bank, the homes became the property of the state. The next owners were George W. and Nancy Triplett in 1909. The Triplett's remodeled the house, adding the porch and new kitchen and baths. The Triplett family included sons Gerald, Daniel and daughters Nora Voris and Grace Brothers. Nora has a daughter, Lou Coe, and Grace a daughter, Berniece Haworth, living in Chrisman.
In 1928 the Triplett heirs sold the house to J. E. and Leona Davis. Dr. Davis was a veterinarian. Mrs. Leona Davis now lives with a son J. E., Jr. in Ohio. Their daughter, Elizabeth Hanson is deceased. After the death of Dr. Davis the property was sold to Bert and Elspeth Lund in the year 1946.
The work above was sponsored by AGRE GRAIN CO., Elevators at Paris, Brocton, Metcalf, Illinois; PEPSI-COLA BOTTLING CO., Terre Haute, Indiana, Phone 232-8181; CHARLESTON PRODUCTION CREDIT ASS'N., For the Best in Farm Credit; TRIBBY BULLDOZING & EXCAVATING, Mr. and Mrs. Clinton Tribby, Kansas, IL.
The Lund's have three children, John in Seattle, Washington; Carl, in Paris, IL; and Virginia Johnson in the Chrisman area.
One of the country's showplaces is the imposing brick mansion on the Cherry Point road northwest of Chrisman built in 1909 (on land then owned by the family for 60 years) by Charles Hoult for his active, fun loving family of four sons; Everett, Warren, Louis and Howard, and two daughters, Annette and Martha.
The third floor was designed for billiards and dancing, the second included seven bedrooms opening off a spacious lounge area; and the plan of the main floor incorporated areas for formal and informal dining, music and conversation, and relaxing around two handsome fireplaces. The oval mahogany dining table with chairs which Mrs. Hoult purchased in Chicago, was the scene of many dinners for 18 to 20.
In the fifties Allen and Muriel Lewis and daughters, Becky and Nancy, lived several months in the home and were responsible for quite a bit of decorating. In 1955 the property was purchased by C. K. Crispin, local contractor, for his growing family.
He did a complete remodeling of the pantry, kitchen and breakfast room complex for his dietitian wife, Kay. Mrs. Crispin, now a widow, and her youngest of five children, Bill, still maintain it as their residence and on the first floor operate the popular dining spot, HARDY HALL.
Actual construction date of the home of Hilah P. Bishop, widow of J. Sherman Bishop located at 204 E. Monroe Avenue is unknown. Sarah Barkley obtained the land in 1873 when Mathias Chrisman had his farm divided into city lots. She married James Boles in 1893. Their heirs sold the property in 1897 and it was resold in 1899 to Mrs. Bishop's father, 0. E. Patrick. Mr. and Mrs. Bishop purchased the property in 1927 and have occupied it since.
The original house was built on this lot in the early 1880's by Joe Camerer. Later it was occupied by Joel W. Nye. In the early 1920's Fred Thayer bought the house and did considerable building and remodeling. Later the L. E. Slaughter family moved to the property and after them the James Chestnuts. In 1950 Raymond and Rachel Stewart purchased the property and have since made it their home.
The work above was sponsored by RIDGEWAY LANES, Wayne and Ila Blakeney, Ridgefarm, Illinois; RIDGEFARM FEED and SEED and REMEDIES, Ridgefarm, Illinois; KELLEY INSURANCE, Home-Business, Farm-Health-Life-Bonds, Ridgefarm, Illinois; MEADOW GOLD DAIRIES, Danville, Illinois
103 E. Monroe Avenue has been the home of George W. and Katherine R. Samford since 1936. In the original town the property was owned a very short time by a Cairus family but from 1875 to 1900 Dr. and Mrs. J. M. Welch resided there. The widow Welch sold to Frank M. Legate in 1900 and John T. and Maude Owen held title for a year prior to the Samford's purchase. This home has been kept much the same as it was when it was built.
In closing out our paragraphs on old homes in Chrisman, we have undoubtedly left out of this listing several old homes worthy of mention, but time dulls memories, and in many cases we have only the memories of some of our senior citizens to provide details and information on these early homes. We must not fail to note the contribution to present-day Chrisman made by these early builders and owners, in transforming Chrisman from a virgin prairie covered with native prairie grass to the pleasant thriving town of today.
Chrisman has always been a nice place to live, but this has never been more true than today, with the improved highways and the faster modes of transportation, making it convenient to live in Chrisman and commute to other towns to work, and have the enjoyment that comes from being a part of a community like Chrisman. Truly the outstanding asset of Chrisman can be summed up simply in the following words -- "It's a good place to Live."
People in the Chrisman area have continued to show their faith in the community by continuing to construct nice homes. Some of these are pictured below:
The work above was sponsored by CHRISMAN VOLUNTEER FIREMEN, Chrisman, Illinois; SOHIGRO SERVICE CO., Max Brubaker, Mgr., Chrisman, Illinois; MR. AND MRS. HOMER WOLFE AND FAMILY, Chrisman, Illinois; PAUL HODGE STANDARD SERVICE, Paul, Virginia and Jerry, Chrisman, Illinois
The work above was sponsored by PENRY FURNITURE, 435 East Main St., Danville, Illinois; BULLOCK GARAGES, Danville, Illinois ; BASS TIRE, 602 S. Gilbert, Danville, Illinois ; MATTOON COCA-COLA BOTTLING CO., INC., 1405 E. Main, Danville, Illinois
The first school house was built of logs and stood east of the present high school building. In those days the pupils studied from the books they could procure. A shelf was built along one side of the room for writing and a fireplace furnished the heat. The wood was furnished by the men having children in school. This school was built in 1847 and the children of the new town attended this school until they were crowded three into a seat.
The next fall Miss Ada Gibbs taught in a small building on the south side of the square. The small children living in town were transferred to this school. That same winter Nate Reed taught an advanced school similar to the high school of today, in a room over the J. R. Sousley Grocery in the Kenton Building on the north side of the square.
Finally in 1876, the needs for more space being compulsory, contracts were let for the building of a four room brick structure. The school grounds were originally an apple orchard, extending from the south side of the grounds and as far north as the former Frank McCuddy home. When Dr. S. R. Gray purchased the home of Mathias Chrisman in 1873 this orchard was included in the purchase, and a portion was sold to the district for the new school building.
The work above was sponsored by PARIS BEACON NEWS, Paris, Illinois; BRIDWELLS SUPER MARKET, Edgar County's most complete Food Store, Paris, Illinois; PARKWAY FURNITURE, Paris, Illinois Dial 465-4733 ; CITIZENS NATIONAL BANK, Paris, Illinois
The new school was built at a cost of $8,000 and was occupied in 1877. It included the elementary grades and three years of high school. The length of the school year was eight months. The first teachers were Frank P. Green, principal; Miss Alice Starr, Intermediate; and Miss Clara Camerer Earhart, Primary. These teachers received thirty or thirty five dollars for teaching in the grades. The building consisted of four rooms and again the primary room was crowded then the next year a fourth teacher was employed, Mrs. J. P. McCullogh.
Between the two upper rooms there were sliding doors and many were the meetings for debate in the high school, when the parents were invited to hear the children debate on lofty subjects such as "Which is the most useful in the house, the dishrag, or the broom?" These meetings were held at night and those living near the school house took their lamps trimmed and ready to burn. During this time the principal, G. W. Carrico, taught the boys to play baseball. Previous to this time they had only played town ball.
The work above was sponsored by IKE'S STAR LITE INN, Ridgefarm, IL; GRISSOM ELECTRIC, Chrisman, Illinois; MR. AND MRS. HENRY J. PHIPPS, Chrisman, Illinois; and, ANONYMOUS
F. W. Dundas came with many new ideas for the school. Slates were discarded and each pupil was required to purchase a tablet for each class. In the high school for the first time the students heard such words as freshman, sophomore, junior and senior classes. Under Mr. Dundas's management the school was a real high school.
The first class to graduate from the three year high school consisted of W. F. Hoult, Rachel Hoult, Nettie Hartley and Eva Crawford. The class of 1890 had the distinction of being the only class with one graduate, Mrs. A. E. Schnitker, (Lulu Waldruff Schnitker).
The enrollment grew from 133 in 1888 to 334 in 1905 and again the building was too small. On April 3, 1905, the directors, (Mr. Wm. M. Smith, President, Mr. John Mitchell and Mr. D. 0. Light), started procedures to finance a four room addition to be added to the front of the original building.
The work above was sponsored by HARDY HALL DINING ROOM, Mrs. C. K. Crispin, Karen, Sally, Dan, Jon and HIXON CHEVROLET CO., Mr. and Mrs. Harold Hixon, Chrisman, Illinois; CHRISMAN IGA FOODLINER, Chrisman, Illinois; BILL'S MOWER, Mr. and Mrs. William Wells, 128 Madison, Chrisman, Illinois
A special election on April 15, 1905 approved a tax to finance the construction. Bonds were sold (26 for $250.00 each) and the contract was let to Davis, Mitchell & Company on June 8, 1905 for $8,244.00. The work was to be completed by September 15, 1905.
The partition between the two original upstairs rooms was removed and this room became the high school assembly room. Mr. G. H. Henry was hired as Superintendent at a salary of $90.00 per for 8 1/2 months. Also the following teachers were hired: Miss Helen Booker at $55.00 per month, Miss Oella Barth, Miss Ella Wasson, Mrs. Lyda Moss, and Miss Edith Levitt at $40.00 per month. The first Board of Education was elected April 26, 1907.
Elected were Mr. John Mitchell, president, Mr. D. O. Light, Clerk, and Mr. W. F. Hoult, Mr. J. F. Van Voorhees, Mr. George Fair, Mr. Oscar Jones, and Mr. William M. Smith. The cornerstone for the new Chrisman Township High School was laid in October 1914. Their first Board of Education was: A. K. Hartley, President, Oscar Jones, James Payne, Dr. C. L. Kerrick, James Hoult, William T. Scott and Jacob Ellsberry.
The first year in the new building was 1915-1916. The new school was under the supervision of Principal P. M. Watson, Assistant Principal Helen E. Booker and six other teachers. In 1948 voters in the Chrisman area overwhelmingly approved the consolidation of the Chrisman High School District No. 149 and ten grade school districts around Chrisman. The new district was known as Community Unit School Dist. No. 5 with Mr. Cecil E. Smith as Superintendent.
In 1949 a new addition to the high school was begun. A bond issue of $120,000.00 had previously been approved and the cornerstone was laid August 4, 1949.
In April 1950 a new bond issue for $110,000 was approved to complete the addition. A combination gymnasium and auditorium, a farm shop, new Home Economics and some class rooms were provided.
The work above was sponsored by DR. and MRS. W. J. GONWA, JR. and FAMILY, Chrisman, IL; DR. and MRS. JOSEPH MONTAGNINO and FAMILY, Chrisman, Illinois; SAMUEL, SUE and PAUL SCOTT, Chrisman, Illinois; HOULT PHOTOS, Bob, Mildred and John Hoult, Chrisman, Illinois
As the enrollment increased and space was not available in the ten room elementary school, grades were transferred to the high school until the kindergarten, seventh, and eighth grades were all held there.
On September 12, 1964 a bond issue of $350,000 to build a new grade school was passed. The new school has 17 regular class rooms, a central library, music and art rooms, health room, teachers' room, office space, kitchen and cafeteria.
It was first occupied in the fall of 1966. The old school was torn down before the new building was occupied, but the bell which called the children to school for so many years was preserved. It is displayed today near the North West corner of the school grounds. The base on which it rests was designed by Joseph Moss.
Bricks and the circular stone inscribed District No. 6; 1,877 were used in its construction. Chrisman was the first Edgar County School to install and use educational television which began in 1961 with the Midwest Program of Airborne Television, Inc. The elementary school has television outlets in each classroom. Chrisman was the first school in the county to start the "Modern Math" program. Chrisman was the first Edgar County School to support a public kindergarten. In 1950 the kindergarten was opened in the Methodist Church basement with Mrs. Beatrice Scott in charge.
The work above was sponsored by WOLFE AUTOMOTIVE STORE, Now serving Chrisman and Paris, Illinois; BUS ARRASMITH, ROOFING and SIDING, Complete Trash Removal Service, Chrisman; POOR RICHARDS CAFE, Intersection 36 and 1, Chrisman, Illinois; SCOTTLAND SOIL SERVICE, Scottland, Illinois
The land where the school building now stands was donated by William Scott. The first school was held here for grade school pupils only. After this building was damaged by a cyclone, a new building was erected in 1906. J. C. Gault of Terre Haute was hired as the architect. The blue print was drawn and approved by the first directors: J. F. Jennings, C. P. Adams, and J. L. Dawson. The building erected did not wholly follow the original plans and was not completed by the time it was scheduled to be.
In 1907 a petition was put forth to combine Districts 18, 19, and 23. This was put into effect. The first record of ninth grade students was in 1906. These students held classes with the grade school. The school continually grew in the next few years. One new addition was added in 1928 and another in 1936. Then in 1937 the first four year class graduated from Scottland High School.
The work above was sponsored by DANA IMPLEMENT CO., Jerry McMullen o- Owner, Dana, Indiana; DANA ELEVATOR CO., Dana, Indiana; ADAMS IMPLEMENT CO., Kenneth Adams -- Owner, Dana, Indiana; WABASH VALLEY SEED CO., INC. and FARM SUPPLY, Dana, Indiana, phone 566-3306
CONSOLIDATION OF CHRISMAN AND SCOTTLAND SCHOOLS
Earlier this year, Citizens of Chrisman and Scottland voted to consolidate Scottland Grade School Dist. 23 and High School District 162 with Chrisman Community Unit 5. The new unit will be District 6. Now students in the sixth through eighth grades will attend the Scottland School and high school as well as lower grade students will attend Chrisman Schools.
On May 28, 1972 an election was held for the purpose of electing a new board for this new district. Those elected were: David Lorenzen, Marvin Glick, Robert E. Craig, Dean Samford, John Craig, Gail Scott, and Allen H. Knicley.
Eleven man football was inaugurated as a major sport in Chrisman High School in the fall of 1928. D. V. Peacock, Jr. was the coach. Members of this team were Walter Jenkins, Frank Morris, Max Lunger, Raymond David, Raymond Mason, Leland Collier, Dale Gresham, Samuel Buck, Russell Daily, Warren Krughoff, Carl Hendrix, Maurice George, George Buck, Leon Alexander, Warren Slaughter, Roy McAllister, Chester Meyers, and Richard Sayre. The schedule consisted of teams such as Oakland, Charleston, Clinton, Newman, Hindsboro, and Ridgefarm. The sport was dropped at the end of the 1934 season. Joe Moss was the coach.
CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
In 1940 the revival of football in our high school was mostly due to the efforts of Mr. Franklin D. Mayfield, a former coach. This was not a six man team. The "old grads" who played in the past were also a driving force in helping the sport come alive again.
Mr. Max Hannum was named the new coach after Coach Mayfield left to go to another school. Squad members of the 1st 6 man team were Justin Wible, Captain; Eugene Lunger, Charles White, Jr., Edward Scott, Phillip Wible, Joe Turner, Jack Henry, Don Ferry, Derral Wilson, Wayne Ferguson, Bernard Byrd, Carl Dalrymple, George Hackler, Bill Mankin, Don Miller, Sam Trout, Don Coe, and Earl Rogers.
The fall of 1950 was the last year football was played in Chrisman High School. Richard Kinneman was the coach. Some of the opponents were Fisher, Sidell, Longview, Perrysville, and Homer. The squad consisted of Richard Ellis, William Fouts, Allen Lientz, Jack McVicker, Eddie Morgan, John Owen, Paul Britz, Harry Lientz, Hobart Price, Wayne Tapp, Larry Johnson, Fred Colter, Paul Walters, and Jerry Wilson, Captain.
Baseball was not seriously started until the school year 1950-51. Members of that first team were Stanley Decker, Harry Lientz, Allen Lientz, Eddie Morgan, Gerald Rhoden, Frank Montagnino, Dean Ackmann, John Owen, and Ray Martin.
They were coached by Dick Kinneman. Chrisman has had a tradition of winning baseball teams. From 1953 thru 1962, a span of 10 years, the Cardinals won the Ambraw Valley Conference championship with a combined record of 91 wins and 23 losses.
C.H.S. picked up the winning stride again from 1970 thru 1972 for the Ambraw Valley Conference championship. The combined records during those three years were 53 wins and 19 losses.
Their best record was in 1971 when the Cards won 20 games while losing only 5, and were undefeated in the conference race. The squad consisted of Earl Kindred, Steve Rogers, Rick Taylor, Randy Lunger, Jon Crispin, John Jenkins, Tom Nolen, Doug Barker, George Rogers, Jim Jenness, John Low, Paul Scott, Steve Drake, Lynn Good, Nick Lientz, Tom Baker, and coached by Don Anglen and Roger Beals.
In 1923 the Chrisman track team had a good year winning the county track meet and brought home the silver cup. This was the second time Chrisman had won the county meet, the first being in 1915. The track squad consisted of Winfred Moss, Capt., Lewis Turner, Henry Sharp, Bernard Loop, Clayton Morris, Ora Wilson, James Wasson, Eugene Lewis, Clark Newlin, David Fouts, Grover Lewis and was coached by P. H. Spain.
CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
The 1924 track squad won the county meet, placed 4th at the larger school Tiger Relays, crowned champion at the Eastern Illinois meet at Charleston. They also won their own Invitational meet held at Chrisman. At the State meet held in Champaign Henry Sharp captured 3rd place in the 440 yard dash.
In 1933 Chrisman won the Edgar County track meet by defeating Paris, the defending champion. Bob Jenkins set a new high hurdle record of 17 3 seconds and a new low hurdle record of 27.4. Joe Moss was their coach. Walter David sent the javelin hurling through the air for 190 feet at the state meet in Champaign. This was a record for the 1935 meet. The old record was held by Windmiller of Pleasant Hill for 185 feet 7 1/2 inches.
From 1949 thru 1957 Chrisman had a track dynasty winning either the Edgar County track meet or the Ambraw Valley meet. The years 1958 thru 1962 were slow, but from 1963 to-the present, excluding 1968, the track teams won the Ambraw Valley Track meets. Chrisman has had a track champion 18 out of the last 23 years.
In 1961 Dave Boyer qualified in the high jump for the state track meet as did Tom Bolton in the 100 and 220 yard dashes. Tom also set school records which still stand in the 100 (10.1 seconds) and the 220 (22.0 seconds).
The following is a list of the current records in the Chrisman High Track:
100 yd. dash, 10.1, 1961, Tom Bolton.
200 yd. dash, 22.0, 1961, Tom Bolton.
440 yd. dash, 55.0, 1964, Lynn Chandler.
440 yd. dash, 55.0, 1972, K. D. McKee.
880 yd. run, 2:06.5, 1964, Barry Jenkins.
1 mile run, 4:46.9, 1964, Steve Matheny.
2 mile run, 10:45.0, 1964, Steve Matheny.
180 yd. low hurdle, 21.5, 1956. Mike Emmons.
120 yd. high hurdle, 16.5, 1969. Mike Powell.
Long jump, 21'3", 1962, John Frazee.
High jump, 6'0", 1969, Allen Greenlee.
High jump, 6'0", 1972, K. D. McKee.
Shot-put, 45'2", 1939, Lester Vanscoyk.
Pole vault, 11'2", 1969 and 1970, Rick Mitchell.
Discus throw, 142'2", 1965, Howard Meeks.
Javelin throw, 190'0", 1936, Walter David.
880 varsity relay, 1:40.1, 1972, Tom Baker, Rusty Krabel, Curt Ingram, Dennie White.
1 mile relay variety, 3:31.4, 1964, James DePlanty, Ben H. Jenness, Gary Thompson, Lynn Chandler.
Basketball had its beginning in Springfield, Mass. in 1891 but it wasn't until about 1913 that it hit Chrisman. Chrisman held some of its games on the second floor of what is now known as the Red Yates T. V. and Radio Shop.
Chrisman schools have always had good basketball teams. One of the first outstanding of the many good teams was the squad of 1924. This group of players won the district tournament held at Danville for the first time in the history of the school. The "24" Cards defeated nearly everyone of importance, including Villa Grove, who was the defending state champion of 1923.
There were 18 teams competing at this tournament. Chrisman defeated Sidell for the championship with the score 17 to 11. The Cards then went on to the sectional at Decatur but lost to Morrisonville 24 to 19. They ended the season with 22-7 won-lost chart. The squad members were Winfred Moss, Capt., Bernard Loop, Clayton Morris, Kenneth Rogers, Henry Sharp, Lewis Turner, Nelson Wakefield, Ora Wilson, Herbert Smith, Larkin Sharp, Dale Remeley, Francis Robison and coached by P. H. Spain.
In 1928 the Paris Chamber of Commerce held a county banquet honoring the Chrisman team which had won the tough Redman tournament and the county tourney. Knute Rockne, the famed football coach of Notre Dame, was the guest speaker of the evening. Keefer Lientz, James Glick, and Orie Weston were named to the Edgar County all-star team.
The 1949 team was a successful squad with a 15-5 won-lost record and winning the Ambraw Valley tourney. Members of this team were Bob Morris, Keith Henderson, Dave Lorenzen, Charles Rhoden, Harry Lientz, Bob Emmons, Bob Adams, Walter Sublett, Don Sanders, Jim Spillman, and coached by Dick Kinneman. When this squad returned home from their last game of the year, they were informed that the board of education had voted to build a new gym for next year if it could be finished by then.
The 1950 team had a fine season record of 16-8 but the new gym was not finished until 1951. With Dick Kinneman as coach, the Cardinals recorded one of the best seasons by winning 20 games and only losing five. Members of this fine team were Frank Montagnino, Ray Martin, Allen Lientz, Aaron Swinford, John Owen, Capt. Jerry Rhoden, Hobart Price, Bill McNeeley, Bill Fouts, John Lund, Dick Ellis, Jerry Wilson, Dean Ackmann, Pawley Smith, Joe Huskisson, Dale Adams, Fred Colter, Stanley Decker, and Allen Curtis.
In 1954 the Cards compiled one of the winningest records ever listed. They won 26 games while losing only 3. They won the Ambraw Valley title and the District championship, only to lose to Charleston High School in the second game of the Regional played at Casey. Members of this very fine team were Capt. Dale Adams, Stanley Decker, Jim Brooks, Carroll M. Calhoun, Gene Ryan, Cecil Garner, Richard Swank, Mike Emmons, Richard Pyle, Charles Garner, David Daily, Bill Honnold and coached by Dick Kinneman.
The season of 1957 was another "bang-up" year as they piled up 24 wins against 5 losses. This squad consisted of Charles Wolfe, Allen Knicley, Richard Pyle, Bill Wood, Bill Honnold, Lannie Robison, Bob Honnold, Jerry Lunger, Norman Knicley, John Collins, Bernie Morris and Jack Savant as the coach.
19-9 won and lost chart was recorded by the 1968 team in which Allen Greenlee was voted the most valuable player. Norman Reisor was the coach. The 1969 team, coached by Harold Clark, won 21 games and lost 6. This team won the Ambraw Valley Tournament and the District. Unluckily they were defeated by Paris in the finals of the Regional at Casey. Members of this team were Rick Mitchell, Alan Samford, Allen Greenlee, Jon Crispin, Larry Baker, Mike Powell, Jim Jenness, Rick Lewsader, Tony Lorenzen, John Jenkins, Randy Lunger, George Rogers, Rick Walls was the manager.
The 1970 Cardinals won 23 and lost 5. They captured the Ambraw Valley championship, the District title, and set 2 new team records (73.5 points per game average and scoring 44 points in one quarter). The team consisted of Randy Lunger, Rick Mitchell, Joe Stewart, Lynn Good, John Jenkins, Jim Jenness, Rick Taylor, Mike Powell, Jon Crispin, Larry Baker, Tony Lorenzen, Rick Lewsader, Darrell Payne, and coached by Roger Beals.
1971 was an outstanding year for the hustling Cards, winning 27 and losing only 1 game and breaking the all-time won-lost record of 26-3 in 1954. This team set a state scoring average of 91.6 points per game and 156 scored in one game. The Cards went over the century mark 9 times in the season of '71 with 119, 156, 124, 126, 102, 141, 104, 124 and 109. They won championships in the Rossville Holiday Tourney, Ambraw Valley Conference, A. V. C. tourney, and the District but then they were beaten by Marshall in the Casey Regional by one point on a shot with one second left on the clock. (A shot which Coach Beals and the team see in their nightmares only too often.)
Members of this fine team were Rick Taylor, Jon Crispin, John Jenkins, Randy Lunger, Tony Lorenzen, Lynn Good, Jim Jenness, Tom Baker, Curtis Ingram, Darrell Payne, Ken McKee, and Dave Chandler. In 1972, the year of our community centennial, the Chrisman Cardinals broke the all time games won record by ripping off 29 victories against 2 defeats. The Cards captured every tournament entered except the State. They won the Rossville Tournament, the Ambraw Valley Conference, the A. V. C. tournament, the Regional at Catlin, the Sectional at Tuscola and were defeated by Lincolnwood in the Super Sectional at Decatur, a team which placed third in the State finals.
This was the first year for a two class system for Illinois and the Cards reached the Sweet 16 in the small school division. (Below 750 enrollment.) This is farther than any Chrisman team has ever gone. Team members were Rick Taylor, Darrell Payne, Mark Neil, Tom Baker, Dave Chandler, Paul Scott, Dennie White, Curt Ingram, John Low, Earl Kindred, Ken McKee, Joe Mitchell, Rusty Krabel and coached by Roger Beals.
CHRISMAN - 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS - 1872-1972
Back To Top