Search billions of records on


See also

Family of Edward Charles CONGRAM and Ruby CONGRAM WIFE

Husband: Edward Charles CONGRAM (1905-1990)
Wife: Ruby CONGRAM WIFE (1908-1998)

Husband: Edward Charles CONGRAM

Name: Edward Charles CONGRAM
Sex: Male
Father: William Treble CONGRAM (1864- )
Mother: Annie Elizabeth BREDDIN (1864?-1926?)
Birth 31 Oct 1905 Taringa, Queensland
Death 5 Feb 1990 (age 84) Brookfield, Australia
Burial Brookfield Cemetry, Brisbane


Sex: Female
Father: -
Mother: -
Birth 21 Mar 1908
Death 4 Jun 1998 (age 90) Brookfield, Australia
Burial Brookfield Cemetry, Brisbane

Note on Husband: Edward Charles CONGRAM

1936 Record No 107 Of Moreton, Mogill Electoral Roll shows Edward Charles Congramr at Brookfield, farmer

Ed Congram was born in Taringa, Brisbane on 31 October 1905 and moved with his family to their farm in Upper Brookfield in 1916.


On 2 March 1942 , at the age of 36, Ed enlisted at the City Recruiting Depot, Exhibition Grounds, Brisbane. He was inducted for initial training to 7 Training Battalion at Redbank Plains, Ipswich and then posted to 4 Battery 101 Aust Tank Attack Regiment at Grovely barracks for intensive training prior to embarkation from Townsville in the ex Dutch East Indies, KPM line ship Bontekoe to Milne Bay, New Guinea, disembarking on 15 July 1942.


After months of fierce battle against Japanese forces, he succumbed as many troops did, not to Japanese bullets and bombs, but to mother nature with a severe dose of malaria and was transferred by 11 Aust Field Ambulance to 2/1 Casualty Clearing Station. Returning to active duty in early November 1942, he was stricken with another bout of malaria, this time more serious. He was evacuated from Milne Bay on the Hospital Ship Duntroon on 2 January 1943 disembarking in Gladstone for transfer to 2/11 AGH in Warwick Queensland for recuperation.


He returned to duty with the 1 Aust Artillery Training Regiment in early February 1943, but was once again admitted to Camp Hospital , Tenterfield NSW for a short period before returning to the regiment. After several months of training duty in NSW, he again succumbed to malaria, being admitted to 2/4 AGH at Redbank in July 1943 for recuperation and convalescence.


After a thorough assessment of his medical condition and combined with his, it was deemed he was not suitable for further active duty and thus Private Congram was discharged on 12 November 1943