THE BOYDS OF VERMONT
Chapter 3 Pages 27-39
Abraham Boyd of Upton, Massachusetts married Hannah HILL of Hopkinton, Massachusetts soon after their intentions were published 24 June 1766. She was born 12 July 1742, daughter of Ralph and Sarah HILL. No dates of their deaths have been found. The last record of Abraham was on September 3, 1818 when he deeded land to Robert Boyd (Land records book 6 page 154 Wilmington, Vermont).(see also book 6, page 113)
Wilmington Reunions, Look and Greene, 1970
"Abraham and Hannah Hill were early settlers of Wilmington, Vermont. They and several children settled on land alongside the Deerfield river which he had purchased before the War of Rebellion, 1776. The river flowed through the southwest part of town. Through the years more and more land was purchased until the Boyd family, children, grandchildren, and even the great grandchildren, eventually owned many of the farms along that river valley which, in the 1920's were to be abandoned and flooded when the New England Power Company constructed the Harriman dam at Whittingham". (see "Wilmington Reunions 1890-1970 "by Margaret C. Greene and Barbara H. Look).
Abraham was a soldier in the War of the Revolution. He fought at the Battle of Bunker (Breeds) Hill and at the Battle of Bennington. He is listed in the Patriots Index of the DAR. DAR national number 602081. Computer code 1-034-MA:
"Private, Capt. Stephan Sadler's Company, Col. Wheelock's regt. which marched 20 Apr 1775 in response to the alarm of April 19, 1775 to Roxbury, Ma".
"Abraham Boyd, receipts for wages for service in Capt. Henry Leland's company, Col. Willis regt. dated Hopkinton" Feb 5, 1776.
"Abraham Boyd was a Minute Man in the defense of Boston, 1776 He was from Upton, Mass., removed during the war to Wilmington, Vermont, where he died". DAR lineage book, page 349, under #29975 Mary J. Castle.
Abraham Boyd is mentioned in Dr. John Long's Diary as traveling up and down the Deerfield river from Shelburne, Mass to Wilmington, Vt. in the 1770's.
Massachusetts Vital Records
1. Abraham Boyd Jr. was baptised 16 October 1768 in Hopkinton, Massachusetts. He married Elizabeth TAYLOR McKINSTRY of West Springfield, Mass. Their intentions were published 6 October 1792. (V.R. of West Springfield, Mass.) Elizabeth was born 19 June 1764 at Gilsum, New Hampshire. Try as I might I have never been able to fnd any more data on Abraham Jr.
2. Robert Boyd was baptised 22 October 17692 in Hopkinton, Mass. He married Susannah WHEELER 10 September 1798. She was born in 1782, daughter of Deliverance and Mary WHITMAN WHEELER. Susannah died 31 Jan 1854 and Robert died 16 Feb 1845, both in Wilmington, Vermont.
3. Levi Boyd was baptised 8 November 1772 in Hopkinton, Ma. He married Sally STEVENS 4 December 1800 in Wilmington, Vt. Sally was born in 1778 and died 25 Dec 1864. Levi died in Wilmington on 7 June 1839.
4. Simeon Boyd was baptised 23 October 1774 in
He married Ruth CLARK 14 December 1802. She was born in
and died 3 July 1844. Simeon died 25 July 1856 in
5. Stephan Boyd was baptised 21 September 1777
Mass. He married Lucy CUSHMAN 9 December
killed by a falling tree sometime in 1813. Lucy married
2nd William WILDER 19 March 1815. She died
Sept 1855, Wilm.
6. Luther Boyd was born in Wilmington,
He married Elizabeth (Betsy) WHEELER, 29 May 1803. Betsy
Susannah (who married Robert Boyd) were sisters.
the daughters of Deliverance and Mary
WHITMAN Wheeler who were early settlers of Wilmington.
Betsy died in Wilmington
28 Feb 1873. Luther died 3 at Columbus, Ohio 12 January 1867.
The DAR (attributes a son James Boyd to Abraham and Hannah
Hill. I have found no proof of a son James and think Mrs. Giovanazzi's
research goes awry. She would not answer any of my letters in the 1990.
The DAR now admits some of the records are faulty.
1. Sources: Vital Records of Wilmington
Whitingham, Vermont. Vital
Mass. Land Records Wilmington, Vt.
Wilmington, Vermont, The Times Press, 1900
"Abraham Boyd was a soldier of the Revolution and came to Wilmington as one of the earliest settlers just before the outbreak of the war. He came in with two companions from Hopkinton, Massachusetts, by the guide of marked trees. He cleared a small patch of land from the dense forest and built a crude log hut. His sons were Robert, Levi, Stephan, and Simeon. Robert the eldest2 son married Susannah WHEELER and settled in the south part of town. He started in life with "an axe and one lousy calf" but reared a family of seven children and aquired a handsome fortune.
James Manning Boyd, eldest son of Robert, when he was twenty years of age, went to live with his aged grandparents, remained with them the rest of their lives, and suceeded to their estate, a fine 200 acre farm on the Deerfield river. This farm was flooded when the Harriman dam was built in the 1920s.
James Manning Boyd married Phoebe Drury MOORE, a niece of Zephaniah MOORE, the first president of Amherst College. A family of thirteen children were born to them. Seven members of this family are now living, the three brothers, Ransome M., Warren R., and Edmund M. in this town and Ansel N. of Whitingham, and two daughters.
James Manning Boyd and his wife were substantial and worthy people and passed their lives on the old Boyd homestead where he died at the age of sixty-eight and she at the age of eighty-nine.Warren Robert Boyd was born in 1837 and was educated in the public schools. He married Lucy Ann RICH in 1861 and settled on the south part of the old farm, which he conducted with industry and success until he removed to the village of Whitingham in 1894. He erected a good set of buildings on the farm which he sold to lawyer Davenport. In 1895 Mr. Boyd
built his present commodius residence on School street, where he is passing the latter years of an active and useful life.
The two children of Warren and Lucy are Leslie W., born in 1866, a farmer and selectmen of Wilmington, and Della B., Mrs. Perry M. Davis. Warren R. Boyd was an early and prominent member of the grange. He has served his town capably as selectman, justice of the peace, and many years as a lister, and is a highly esteemed citizen. <> 1. From the book "Wilmington, Vermont" published in 1900 by the Deerfield Times Press.
2. Abraham was the eldest son, not Robert. They also had a son named Lutherborn in Wilmington, VT., who left for Ohio in 1813.
Abraham Boyd Jr., son of Abraham and Hannah HILL Boyd was born in Hopkinton, Massachusetts. He was baptised 16 October 1768. He married Elizabeth (Taylor) McKINSTRY of West Springfield, Mass. Their intentions to marry were published 6 October 1792. [V.R. of West Springfield, Mass.] Elizabeth was born 19 June 1764 at Gilsum?? New Hampshire. Abraham died 23 June 1798 in Wilinton?, N.H. [Data comes from the late Doris Boyd Giovanazzi, 69 Riddell St., Greenfield, Mass. I have not been able to confirm any of the information on Abraham Boyd Jr.. No correspondence from Mrs. Giovanazzi (1990). Mrs. Giovanazzi joined the DAR in 1975 proving her lineage to Abraham Boyd (Sr.). National application number 662081, Dorothy Quincy Hancock Chapter, DAR.] (See Doris Giovanazzi in Chapter five.)
1. Hannah Boyd 2. b. 27 July 1794 d. pre 1846 Kane County, Illinois. She married Levi BARTLETT, the son of Sylvester BARTLETT. (according to a letter from Doris Boyd Giovanazzi)
Robert Boyd, son of Abraham Boyd and Hannah HILL
Hopkinton, Massachusetts. He was baptised 22 October
He came to Vermont with his parents and brothers when he was
nine years old. When Robert was 29 years old he
year old Susannah WHEELER. This was 10
was the daughter of Deliverence and
WHITMAN Wheeler and
was born in Wilmington, Vermont 1782 and died in 1854. Robert
died in Wilmington 16 February 1845.
1. James Manning Boyd b. 24 Apr 1800 d. 18 Sep 1868 m. Phoebe Drury MOORE b. 17 Jan 1800 d. 4 Nov 1889 on 2 Dec 1819
2. Lucinda Boyd b. 16 Mar 1803 d. 11 Aug 1865 m. Jacob CHASE 3. b. 8 Feb 1804 d. 22 Dec 1884 on 26 Apr 1826 in Whitingham.
I. Julia Chase b.
June 1831 d. 23 Sept 1833
3. Jacob Chase was the son of Abraham
Betsy Rich. "History of the town of
"Seven Generations of the descendants of
Thomas Chase" John C. Chase and George W.
Boyd b. 1810
d. 12 May 1868
m. Amanda MOORE b.
1 Apr 1811 d. 21 Aug
on 19 May 1831
m. 2nd Jehial SWIFT d. 6 Oct 1880
5. Warren Oscar Boyd b. 1815 d. 29 Mar 1896 m. Ruth HAYNES b. 1810 d. 19 Nov 1883
6. Stephan Boyd b. 31 July 1817 d. 7 Jan 1886 m. Susan T. HAYNES b. 15 Sept 1816 d. 7 Feb 1896
7. Julia Ann Boyd d. 24 Jan 1877
m. Lewis HARRINGTON d. 25 Dec 1869
on 11 Mar 1840
1. Roxanne Boyd b. 25 July 1803 d. 23 Dec 1865 m. Willard FAULKNER 20 Nov 1826 in Whitingham, Vt.
I. Willard Faulkner Jr. m. Hattie HOWARD
2. Israel S. Boyd b. 23 Oct 1805 d. m. Rhoda EAMES 8 Nov 1829 in Whitingham, Vt
3. Barbara Boyd b. 19 Apr 1810 d. m. Timothy BOWEN 1 Sept 1825 in Whitingham See DAR part 9
4. Levi Boyd Jr. b. 13 Aug 1812 d. 10 Feb 1845 m. Louisa SABIN 20 Dec 1837 in Whitingham
I. William Riley Boyd b. 1838
d. 23 Aug 1840
Boyd b. 3 Feb 1815
m. Ellis F. CHASE b. 31 July
on 21 June 1835 in Whitingham. Ellis married 2nd Lydia STANLEY
ca. 1855. Ellis was the son of Abraham CHASE and Betsy RICH.
I. Rhoda C. Chase b. 6 Dec 1837 m. Newman DALRYMPLE
Boyd b. 28 Sept 1817 d. 10 Feb 1888
m. Elmira G. GORE
b.1822 d. 10 Dec 1863
daughter of Daniel and Barbara GORE of Monroe, Mass.
I. Sarah Ellen Boyd b.1843 m. Andrew W. HODGE 6 May 1863
II. Marian E. Boyd b. 24 May 1862 d. 18 Sep 1862
Hopkinton, Massachusetts. He was baptised 23 October 1774. He married Ruth CLARK 14 Dec 1802. Ruth was born in 1787 and died on 3 July 1844. Simeon died 25 July 1856 in Wilmington, Vermont. Stephan Boyd, Simeon's brother died in 1813 and Simeon and Ruth adopted two of their sons, Arvine and Benzil Boyd. Simeon and Ruth had two children of their own who died young.
1. Ransome Boyd b. 1799 d. 18 Mar 1813 age 15
2. Dewey Boyd b.1808 d. 22 Mar 1810 age 1
Stephan Boyd, son of Abraham and Hannah HILL Boyd was
1. Reul Boyd b. 1803 d. 8 Apr 1863
2. Marilla Boyd m. Harry Clark GARMAN 7 Sept 1827 at Dover, Vermont.
3. Juliana Boyd m. Benjamin F. JACOBS 7 Sept 1831
4. Arvine Boyd b. 13 Apr 1808 d. 29 Feb 1896 aged 88 yrs m. Julia CLARK 1829 b. 1808 d. 2 Oct 1903 aged 96 yrs Arvine's Obit
5. Benzil Boyd b. 24 Mar 1811
d. 26 June 1871 buried Rest Land Cem.
m. Julia Ann RAY 28 Oct. 1834 b. 16 Dec
d. 26 Aug 1890. Julia was a daughter
of Zelotes RAY and Lydia CROSSMAN. Benzil Boyd went to Troy, New York
team and brought back bell for the Methodist Church. Bell, now in
his wife Julia, and 3 of his children. I copied
this old photo which hangs in Wilmington, Vermont's
Town Hall in 1990. (RG Boyd)
BENZIL BOYD b. 24-Mar-1811, m. JULIA ANN RAY 28-Oct-1834, d. 26 Jun-1871 "Benzil was only seven days old when his father, Stephen, died at age 34." Benzil's 9 Children:
28 Jun 1836
d. 14 Oct 1855
DURBIN BOYD m. JANET CLARKE
14 Sep 1881
Ray Boyd Sr. b. 19 July 1882 d. 01 Sept 1952 m.
31 Dec 1913 ?
RAY BOYD SR. m. EDITH HILL FOSTER
31 Dec 1913 George
Ray Boyd's son
recalled : "Dad seldom spoke about his childhood, except for his delight
playing tricks on his little sister, Laura. He kidded
her about her cooking
and once had her jump out of the barn loft into a hay pile with an umbrella
used for a parachute. At least once Dad went with the
cowboys driving his
herd to Chicago and returned by train. He must
for overseas duty, although not required to do so
Ray Boyd, Jr. b. 01 Jan 1915
Foster Leslie Boyd m. Gladys Allie Matilda Liddle. 2 Children:
Claire Boyd b. 04 Nov 1950
Luther Boyd, son of Abraham and Hannah HILL Boyd was born in
Whitingham or Wilmington, Vermont 17 Oct 1781 (from cemetery stone.) He 1. married Elizabeth WHEELER 29 May 1803 in Whitingham by Jabez Foster, Justice of the Peace. She was born 27 July 1783 in Ashburnham, Massachusetts. She died 28 Feb 1873. (death certificate Wilmington Town Records.) Betsy never remarried and her gravestone lists her as widow of Luther Boyd. Elizabeth was the daughter of Deliverence Wheeler and Elizabeth Whitman. (History of the Wheeler Family in America.) by Albert G. Wheeler, page 14. She is buried in the old Boyd Cemetery on the old Jasper Boyd farm near Whitingham. The cemetery is down the lane and is not marked at the road. This lane was a road to Wilmington years and years ago but the county stopped maintaining the road. I just drove in and parked by the lane and walked about 10 minutes down the lane. One son:
1. Elam Boyd b. 1811 d. 5 June 1888 m. 1st Elizabeth BRATTON b. 1806 d. 9 Sept 1872 m. 26 April 1835 by Charles K. Field, J.P.Elizabeth was the daughter of John BRATTON and Lois WILCOX. John Bratton was the first child born in Whitingham, Vermont. He was the son of Robert Bratton and Betsy FERREN, first settlers of Whitingham, who came from Colrain, Massachusetts. Elam Boyd m. 2nd Laura (COPELAND) HALL b. 23 Apr 1809 d. 4 June 1879 on 3 Dec 1872 by Q.W. Goodnow, minister. He married 3rd Mary (Burt) Plimpton b. 1810 d. 5 June 1888 on 11 Oct 1879 by O.E. Butterfield.
left this family and went to Ohio soon after he
land to John WILDER, 27August
1813. (Land Records
in Whitingham.) For more information on Luther
see page 82. Luther and Elizabeth had one
son. Why Luther
left his family may never be known. He may have
to go west and Betsy did not want to go. Or he
chopped down the tree that killed his brother Stephan
could not handle the guilt. He ended up in
Ohio near Columbus where he owned a large farm and
James Manning Boyd, son of Robert and
1. Mary Jane Boyd b. 10 Nov 1820 d. 21 May 1839
2. Ransome Wheeler Boyd b. 4 Aug 1822 d. 21 Jan 1903 m. Betsy Polina WELD b. 1822 d. 1903 on 24 Dec 1846
3. Susan Boyd b. 29 Jan 1824 d. 21 Jan 1895 m. Jonathon Newton BASSETT 2 Feb 1843. He b 8 Feb 1816 d. 15 Nov 1877
4. Lorenzo Moore Boyd b. 23 Sep 1825 d. 2 Dec 1902 m. Ruth CRAWFORD b. 1822 d. 1880 on 29 Apr 1851
Boyd b. 22 Mar 1827 d. 17 May 1839
8. Harriet Amelia Boyd b. 24 Apr 1832 d. 24 Oct 1912 m. Justus B. CASTLE b. 5 Nov 1823 d. 1908 on 2 Jan 1853
9. Phoebe Lovina Boyd b. 23 Sep 1833 d. 30 Aug 1864
10. Eliza Evaline Boyd b. 28 Aug 1835 d. 12 Sep 1908 m. Marshall Newton RICE b. 15 Jan 1827 d. 20 Jan 1917 on 23 Mar 1856
11. Warren Robert Boyd b. 27 Aug 1837 d. 11 July 1904 m. Lucy RICH b. 1839 d. 1912
12. Edmund Mills Boyd b. 20 Mar 1840 d. 23 Sep 1914 m. Celestia A. EDSON b. 1843 d. 24 Mar 1923 on 2 May 1861
13. Ansel Mortimer Boyd b. 28 Feb 1842 d. 29 May 1907 m. Margaret Haynes WALKUP on 18 Mar 1863
Ransome Wheeler Boyd, son of James M. Boyd
Ransome Boyd b. 1848
Susan Boyd, daughter of James M. and Phoebe D. Boyd was born 29 January 1824 and died 21 January 1895. She married Jonathon Newton BASSETT, her cousin, on 2 February 1843. He was born 8 Feb 1816 and died 15 Nov 1877. He was the son of Jonathon and Emma Moore BASSETT. They had five children, all were born in Wilmington.<>1. James Manning Bassett 1. b.18 Mar 1844 d. 1916 m. Calista STANCLIFF
2. Esther Emma Bassett b. 10 May 1849 m. William DICKENSON
3. Ella Susan Bassett b. 11 Feb 1851 d. 1918 m. Edward Cassius BOYD b. 1844 d. 22 May 1916 on 30 Dec 1869, Son of Benzil Boyd and Julia Ann RAY
4. William N. Bassett b. 9 May 1853 d. 1920 m. Celia M. BRUCE b. 1862 d. 1931
5. John Fremont Bassett b. 25 Jan 1857 d. 1932<>1. James Manning Bassett was a soldier in the Civil War, Company E, 11th Regt., Vermont Volunteers, heavy artillery.
Lorenzo M. Boyd, son of James M. Boyd and Phoebe D. Moore was born 23 September 1825 and died 2 December 1902. He married 1st Ruth CRAWFORD. She was born in 1822 and died April 3, 1880. He married 2nd. Jane M. PARKER.
1. Henry Charles Boyd b. 9 Mar 1852 d. 24 Oct 1931 m. Ella RUSSELL 12 Nov 1876 b. 1859 d. 1935
2. Samuel H. Boyd b. 1854 d. 1913 m. Effie E. Boyd 1880 b. 1865 d. 1948
3. Sarah M.
Boyd b. 1856 d. 24 July 1859
4. Albert Warren Boyd b. 24 Oct 1860 d. 4 Dec 1916
Harriet Amelia Boyd, daughter of James M. Boyd and Phoebe Drury MOORE was born 24 April 1832. She died 24 October 1912. In 1853 she married Justus CASTLE, son of Philo CASTLE Sr. and Jerusha DIX. They had five children all were born in Mendota, Illinois. In 1867 they moved to McClea Co, Illinois, six miles south of Weston. Harriet and Justus are buried in Mendota, Illinois.
1. Timothy W. Castle b. 11 Sept 1853 d. 11 Feb 1857
2. William Daniel Castle b. 3 June 1855 d. 31 Aug 1933 m. Nancy Eliz. HAMILTON b. 31 Aug 1857 d. 31 May 1900 on 18 Feb 1879
3. Harriet May Castle b. 19 Mar 1858 d. 14 Aug 1933 m. Fred HUBBARD b. 25 Aug 1850 d. 2 Apr 1935 on 3 June 1896
4. Walter F. Castle b. 28 Mar 1860 d. 17 Oct 1864
5. Jessie W. Castle b. 2 Dec 1861 d. 13 Oct 1864
Warren Robert Boyd, son of James M. Boyd and Phoebe Drury MOORE was born 28 August 1837 and died in 1904. He was a farmer and owned a large farm near Wilmington, Vermont. He was a carpenter and made most of his furniture as well as for others. He married Lucy A. RICH on 9 Feb 1861. Lucy was born in 1839 and died in 1912. They had four children all of whom were born in Wilmington.
1. Wesley J. Boyd b. 15 Nov 1862 d. 15 Feb 1865
2. Leslie Warren Boyd b. 21 Sep 1865 d. 20 Nov 1926 m. Hattie WHEELER 15 Aug 1888 in Greenfield, Ma
I Leslie Lee
Boyd b. 1890
3. Fred S. Boyd b. 28 Sept 1869 d. 4 Oct 1869
4. Della Belinda Boyd b. 29 May 1871 d. 25 June 1928 m. Perry Moulton DAVIS b. 1859 d. 1929 on 24 Oct 1891
Neil H. Boyd Family Records.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids