Michael E. Boyd wrote March 7, 2008
Everything I have up to Maxwell Chase Boyd is family oral history. Maxwell's dad, Charles E. Boyd, was listed on a marriage certificate in Brattleboro, Vt. It shows Charles E. Boyd as a watchman born in Bolton, NY. I then followed Charles name to the 1860 census mentioned above. Most of my work up to this point has been through census records and of course the family trees like yours! I am still puzzled at the dfference between the will of Pliney and the census records. This is what I have compiled so far:
1. John Boyd Sr., b. 1704 d. 30 June 1789 Shelburne Falls, MA married Margaret Long, 11 April 1731 in Suffolk County, MA.
2. John Boyd Jr b. 1733 in MA m. Persis Goodenow m. 2nd Mary Warren d. 15 Oct 1815
3. Robert Boyd b. 1758 Shelburne, MA m. Eunice Ware d. 11 Sept 1828
4. Pliney C. Boyd b. 14 Dec 1806 Bolton, NY m. Martha M. Booth d. 25 Apr 1870 Bolton, NY
5. Charles E. Boyd b. 1857 Bolton, NY m. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Sophia Chase. Charles died (unknown) but pre-1900. Elizabeth or Lizzie married 2nd Berlin Ovitt.
6. Maxwell Chase Boyd b. 18 May 1893 in Battleboro, VT m. Sudie Elizabeth Elliott born 15 Aug 1900 in Georgia. Maxwell and Sudie were both cooks in the US Army during World War I. At 16 years of age in 1910 Maxwell was a sawyer at a chair factory in Brattleboro, VT. In the 1900 census he is listed as Maxwell C. Ovitt. In the 1920 census Maxwell and Sudie are married and living with Millard W. Johnson in Grafton, New Hampshire. Maxwell is listed as a chef in a restuarant. In 1930 they are living in Pine, Minnesota where Maxwell is head chef at a hotel. Children on 1930 census are daughter Maxine Boyd born in New Hampshire age 10, son Robert age 7, and son Beverly age 6, both born in Vermont. Looks like Maxwell met Sudie while in the Army. Maxwell died 25 Aug 1947and Sudie died 25 August 1959. Both are buried in Ft. Snelling National Cemeteryin South Minneapolis, MN.
7. Robert Elliott Boyd b. 1923 Brattleboro, VT married Betty Ann Pearson d. 13 Feb 2008.
8. Michael Allen Boyd b. 19 July 1952 in Hennepin, MN m. Cheri Grace Mihelitch. one child...me!
9. I am Michael Emil Boyd b. 14 Sept 1972 in Chaska, MN m. Mirinda Ann Reutzel 30 Dec 2000. Harvard, Nebraska. One child 10. Maizie Grace Boyd b. 13 Sept 2005.
Charles E. Boyd was the son of Pliney C. Boyd per the 1860 census of Bolton, NY. In the history of the John Boyd family of Massachusetts the will for Pliney Boyd lists a William Boyd b. 1850. However, according to census of 1860 there is no William listed but Charles is. Not sure why the will would be different from the census record.
This is just an update to the Charles E. Boyd family. I have the 1860 census from Bolton, NY showing him as youngest son of Pliney C. Boyd. I found him in the 1880 census living in Wilmington, Windham, VT as a boarder and farm laborer. He lived with and worked for Arvine and Julia Clark Boyd who had a farm there and they were in their early 70's at the time. A daughter Amelia Ann age 49 also lived at home there. They were cousins, descended from Abraham Boyd 1740-1820), son of John Boyd/Margaret Long.