The Bertram Building razed in the 1970s for Urban Renewal by Rogers
City "Big Wigs" that didn't understand
that Urban Renewal was meant to clean up the blight in large cities, like New York, Detroit, Chicago, Etc.
They received a certain amount of money for Urban Renewal and instead of using it for better purpose like streets,
sidewalks, etc. they destroyed all the historic buildings. (see more below)
Original photo owned by Randy and Jennifer (Petz)
Smolinski of Rogers City
4th of July 1900 - Count the Flags
Built in 1886-88* . (see below) Not considered an architectural masterpiece, it was quite a building in its day. The ornateness of the brick work is not extreme, but it displays good native, homey design. It was built to give maximum utility; no coves or niches, but good usable space, which is exactly what the Bertram family needed and any enclosure was a valuable asset at that time. The logs for framing were cut in the area and the building stood straight, square, and dignified, did not have a piece of sized lumber in it. It was a rough sawn compliment to some skilled early craftsman who never dreamed of a power saw. The bricks were hauled up from Marine City via boat; every brick represents hours of human, back bending labor. They were hauled to and from the boat by wagon over rough roads. The roof, which was of the Mansard type [used often today for the most modern structures], gave practical use of the third floor. The mortar of common lime was kilned and slaked a few miles out of the village of Rogers City. Today's mortar with hours of chemical development gives less service. The windows and frames of native white pine were proof that Michigan white pine was in a class by itself.
According to daughter, Miss Michelin Bertram, or Lena as she was known, told that when her parents arrived here they had little money, but they did have a strong desire to improve their lot and to progress. Her Mother, Wilhelmine nee Lange Bertram, was a shrewd business woman who also found time to raise a family of eight talented children. Her father, Friedrich Bertram, a native of Janowitz, Kreis Wongrowitz, bei Bromberg, Posen, Prussia was a charter member of St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church in August 1873. Like many other PI settlers, the Bertram family were members of the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Detroit prior to coming to Crawford's Quarry in 1871.
I believe Friedrich was a harness maker. Then after the
was completed they maintained a store. The Mother and daughters
"hat makers." Later Lena and Ida were piano teachers.
A son, Otto Bertram became a Medical Doctor and practiced in
Daughter, Martha married Dr. William Arscott. Son Gustav married
Marie Brandt in St. Michael's Belknap, and lived in Brainerd,
Daughter Johanna married William Petz, wedding
photo who also had a retail establishment
in the village of Rogers City. Son Adolph never married.
Adelbert married Laura Kuhlmann in St. Johns Church. Daughter
married Albert Paetzholdt. Bertram
in Presque Isle County Advance, June 24 1886
Frederick Bertram is getting material on the ground for his mammoth new store, which is
40x66 feet and three stories high. Mr. Bertram doesn't expect to more than lay the foundation
this season, completing the structure next year, 1887.
Article in Presque Isle County Advance, Aug 30, 1888<>Frederick Bertram's new brick store in Rogers City was opened up to the public last
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids