114. Joseph5 SHIPMAN (John4, David3, John2, Edward1) was born in Springfield, Essex County, New Jersey May 8, 1757. Joseph died September 25, 1828 in Springfield, Essex County, New Jersey at 71 years of age.(114) He was interred September 1828 at Connecticut Farms Churchyard, Section I, Row J in Union, Essex County, New Jersey.(115)
He married twice. He married Anny GILLAM circa 1780 in Springfield, Essex County, New Jersey. Anny was born April 4, 1760 in Long Island, New York. Anny died March 18, 1813 in Union, Essex County, New Jersey at 52 years of age.(116) She was interred March 1813 at Connecticut Farms Churchyard, Section I, Row J in Union, Essex County, New Jersey.(117) He married Esther (WIDOW OF ABNER HEADLEY) December 4, 1814 in Union, Essex County, New Jersey.(118) Esther was born 1766. Esther died August 29, 1827 in Union, Essex County, New Jersey at 61 years of age.(119) She was interred August 1827 at the Presbyterian Churchyard, in Springfield, Essex County, New Jersey.(120)
Joseph had considerable Revolutionary War service. Revolutionary War Muster Rolls, Pay Rolls and Compiled Service Records on file at the National Archives confirm the following:
(1) Private in Captain Silas Howell's Company, 1st New Jersey Regiment, First Establishment from October 1775 through August 1776.
(2) Private in Captain Silas Howell's Company, 1st New Jersey Regiment, Second Establishment from enlistment, 5 January 1777, to November 1777.
(3) transferred to Captain John Flahaven's Company, 1st New Jersey Regiment and served as Private until March 1778.
(4) Transferred, at Valley Forge, in March 1778 to the Commander-in Chief's Guard commanded by Captain (later Major) Caleb Gibbs. Served as Private in General Washington's personal guard from March 1778 until his discharge on 16 February 1780.
Additional service in Captain Craig's Company of Major Samuel Hayes' Battalion of State Troops and in the Essex County Militia, indicated for a "Joseph Shipman" in the "Official Register of the Officers and Men of New Jersey in the Revolutionary War" by William S. Stryker, is being investigated to determine if it is service by the same individual.
Joseph SHIPMAN and Anny GILLAM had the following children:
+ 157 i. Matilda6 SHIPMAN was born October 20, 1782.
158 ii. Susan W. SHIPMAN was born in Springfield, Essex County, New Jersey August 2, 1786. Susan died January 22, 1843 in Newark, Essex County, New Jersey at 56 years of age.(121) She was interred January 1843 at Presbyterian Church Cemetery, in Newark, Essex County, New Jersey.(122)
+ 159 iii. Charles Townley SHIPMAN was born March 19, 1789.
+ 161 v. Aaron SHIPMAN was born May 5, 1794.
+ 162 vi. Caleb Halstead SHIPMAN was born March 8, 1797.
Send email to preparer: email@example.com
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids