The McKinney Gazette.
Tom W. Perkins, Publisher Editor and Propr.
December 25, 1897, Vol. 10, No. 45
Special Christmas Edition.
M’Kinney’s Business Men. Sketches of some of the most enterprising business and Professional Men of the City.
The working force of the Collin County Mill and Elevator Company:
Mr. M. L. PHILLIPS, the elevator man, has been with the mill for eight years.
W. J. LAXON, flour packer, has held that position for several years.
Mr. Willie THOMAS, is book-keeper and general office man, and has been with the institution for four years.
J. P. SIMS is day engineer and Mr. GAINES the night engineer.
The President of the company is Mr. E. W. KIRKPATRICK, and Mr. W. C. BURRIS is treasurer.
H. E. G. FURR has been in Collin county for twenty years, fourteen of which have been spent in McKinney. Besides doing all kinds of brick work, he makes a speciality of putting in iron fences, mantles, grates and fire protectors. He also puts down stone walks. He is a thorough-going man and is meeting with success.
Mr. R. L. PARKER, the fashionable shoemaker, came to McKinney more than twenty-five years ago from Humphreys county, Tennessee, and has lost as little time from his place of business as any man in the city. He has built up a good trade, making a speciality of fine work in his line. He is a good citizen and has reared a large family.
Miss Fannie JACKSON conducts the millinery establishment over the Kentucky Store. She has quite a large stock of seasonable millinery, and invites those in need of anything in her line to call and inspect her stock.
Mr. Al GERRISH, the senior member of the firm of Gerrish & Forsyth Bros., has worked in McKinney for seventeen years, and lets no man excel him in the blacksmith business.
Mr. James A. FORSYTH, familiarly called “Scottie” by his many friends, came here from the old country twelve years ago, and his brother, W. G. FORSYTH, came four years since. They are both good mechanics, pleasant, affable, gentlemen and have succeeded in business. The firm was formed six and a half years ago. The Messrs, FORSYTH and GERRISH are each married.
The McKinney Telephone Company is a local enterprise, owned by Messrs, J. P. NENNEY, D. T. PARDUE, and R. C. HOLLEY. The system was completed and an office opened for business last December. A hundred phones are now in use in various parts of the city.
Another institution owned by Messrs, NENNEY and PARDUE is the electric light plant. It runs from fourteen to sixteen hours daily.
Mr. W. B. HUDGINS, the barber takes occasion through the special edition to thank his friends for the liberal patronage extended him since coming to McKinney. He came here about one year ago, and nine months since, opened a one chair shop. Besides being a first class workman, Mr. HUDGINS is a most excellent and courteous gentleman, and has worked up a large and lucrative trade in his line. He has been forced to enlarge the capacity of his shop to four chairs.
Tom CONNOR is the Blue Gallery man. The Blue Gallery is famous throughout this region for making good pictures for little money. Tom is a fixture in McKinney and enjoys a good patronage. Those desiring their beauty struck should give him a call.
Mr. H. C. KILLINGSWORTH came to McKinney about twelve years ago. He is a grain dealer and does a large business. He also operates a corn sheller. Last June he fitted up the largest warehouse in McKinney, one with a capacity of 150 car loads of grain. Mr. KILLINGSWORTH is a pleasant man to do business with, and has succeeded well since coming to McKinney.
Wood McDONALD is the genial, whole-souled proprietor of the saloon on East Louisiana street, just west of the railroad. Everybody in Collin county knows Wood. Give him a call, he will give you “straight goods” every pop.
S. J. B. PLEMMONS, the old reliable transfer man. Who is it in this county that doesn’t know Bro. PLEMMONS? He has met almost every train that has made a stop at McKinney since the advent of [unreadable] to Texas. Today he is hauling people whose parents, grand-parents, and great grand-parents he hauled in the long ago. He is one of McKinney’s leading citizens - a Methodist of the old fashioned variety, a master Mason and an Odd Fellow. His family is one of the most excellent in this section.
J. B. HOLLANDER, the shoemaker, has resided in Collin county twenty years. He is an excellent workman and has built a splendid trade. His shop is over DITTO’s grocery store, where he would be pleased to see his friends and customers.
OLD TIMES IN THIS COUNTRY.
Recounted by Uncle Alf Chandler and J. M. Wilcox.
Letter from Uncle Alf Chandler to Tom Perkins, Editor, McKinney Gazette dated Dec. 10, 1897.
I crossed Red River for the first time in February, 1843, at what was then called Coffee’s Bend, now called Preston, in company with a young man by the name of Babb REASE. P. MURRAY carried us across in a canoe, held our horses by the bridle, and let them paddle their own canoe. Mr. MURRAY kept the ferry and also the whiskey and tobacco on this side up on the hill which was then considered a great luxury. We stayed there three weeks waiting for a big company of movers, who said they were going to the three forks of the Trinity and there was exactly where we wished to go. I see some man writing in a Grayson county paper about Preston, says there was once a fort there. I am quite sure he is mistaken for there was no sign of any fort there in ‘43 and we all know there has been none since.
There were forty men living there, or rather staying there, in ‘43 and one lady – Mrs. COFFEE, a very beautiful woman. Col. COFFEE, Jay. MURPHY and Capt. RIBERN. Maj. MURPHY and Capt. RIBERN, as well as I remember were half brothers. After our movers came up, we put out for the three forks. We followed a mark made by a pole dragged under one end of the axel of the hind wheel of a wagon. Some man had come in a short time before and left his mark, which was of great value to us.
We camped three miles above where Dallas now stands. Col. BRYANT was the only settler of the place then. He lived fine, had pound-cake all the time by beating corn into meal.
We stayed there four weeks to kill deer, turkey and wild-cats, the latter was as plentiful as the former and every one we met was in for a fight. BABB and I stayed with the company four weeks to fish and hunt. I never was much of a hand to catch fish, but I could have filled a cart in one night of large cat-fish.
After we had enough of fishing and hunting we went to Samon county, he to Red River and I to Pinhook – afterwards Paris – and stayed there most of the time until ‘46 when I came to this county and became a ranger on the frontier, which was in Denton county. Our camp was on Hickory creek, one mile north of Pilon Knob.
Judge John T. MILLS held two courts and Judge Bennett H. MARTIN one while we were camped there. The penalty for stealing at that time was lashes on the bare back. Two men were whipped while we were there. I saw one of them whipped. One of the men was charged with stealing six pounds of old iron. The other a pair of horse hames. I heard the evidence in the latter case and there was nothing that would have kept a jury of ordinary sense from acquitting him in five minutes.
Referring back to ‘43, ‘44 and part of ‘45, this was a republic. I had to take the oath of allegiance before I could vote to be annexed to the United States or to stand alone as a republic. Strange to tell there were a few men voted to stand alone. The farmers on Red River had some gold money but the most of the money in circulation was paper, called exechequer money, a little below par. They had an older issue of money, the paper almost red, I think they called it redback. It was worth about 10 cents or less on the dollar.
I am writing too much, but I must tell you about Uncle Geo. McGARRAH’s meal beater. He had to beat his meal by hand, and his neighbors said he was a little lazy and he fixed a thing to run by water on the branch here (for this is the place he first settled) and it was a very lazy machine, it struck two or three times a minute and one morning when they went for their meal, an old possum and her whole brook was pounded up together with the meal. There was great mourning in the family, and it was not for the death of the possums either. [Signed] Alf CHANDLER.
Early Memories Told by J. M. WILCOX to the Editor.
(One of the most interesting characters in McKinney today is Esquire J. M. WILCOX, who, though about seventy years of age, is still actively engaged in business. He first came to Collin county in 1844, fifth-three years ago and as far as known, has been here at least two years longer than any other man now living in the county. He came here before the county was organized and among a few others found Jim WILSON, Pleas WILSON, Drs. James and John THROCKMORTON, Thos RATLEN, Sr., John KINKAID, Doe FRANKLIN, John COFFMAN, Wm. And Marsh PULLIAM, and Tallie DUNN. Out of this number, Mr. WILCOX is the only one left.)
Joe WILCOX, a brother of J. M. WILCOX, had preceded him in 1841 and settled in the Throckmorton neighborhood, on a farm now owned by Mr. Frank WELCH of McKinney. The county was open and abounded in game of all kinds, among which was occasionally [sic] found the celebrated black bear. Indians were here in great numbers and were very hostile, the Commanches being the worst with which the settlers had to contend.
Shortly after arriving here Indians killed a young man by the name of RICE and Joe and George WILCOX pursued them. Mr. J. M. WILCOX, then 16 years old, in company with an eight year old brother was left to hold down the camp. Some Indians were captured in the chase.
The settlers went to Red River after supplies which mainly consisted of pork. Hogs were scalded in a hole in the ground in the bottom of which were placed rocks or most anything else calculable to generate heat. Mr. WILCOX says he remembers a dealer and traded by the name of LOVE who had headquarters on Red River. He says that he has often seen as many as a hundred deer in a drove.
In 1842, at the Jack McGARRAH fort where Uncle Alf CHANDLER’s place is, seven men, Col. Jack McGARRAH, John and Joe WILCOX, David HELM, Joseph HARLIN, now residing in California, and two others whose names are now forgotten, stood off one hundred Indians. A young doctor by the name of SPENCER, who had started to another settlement had been killed that morning and his horse, a very fine animal, stolen by the redskins. This stirred their blood and they attacked the fort. The seven men were armed with rifles but there was not a bullet in the camp. However, the “moulder” [?] was put in operation and preparations made for a fight.
The Indians would come to within twenty five or thirty yards of the fort and then fall back. The chief could get them no nearer and they finally fell back and disappeared. The seven men then left the fort, going down Wilson creek to its mouth and thence up East Fork to the Throckmorton settlement. Here a band was organized and the Indians pursued..
In 1843 Indians murdered the entire family of Jeremiah MURRAY. In 1845 Mr. WILCOX returned to Missouri, where he resided until 1854 when he came back to Texas. On his return to Missouri, Mr. WILCOX met Pete WALLIS in the Indian Territory. Mr. WALLIS was on his way to Texas and several years afterwards died in Collin County.
In 1854 the county had developed from a wild waste where hostile Indians roamed to a quiet and peaceful settlement. The Indians were gone and a few farms had been opened. The county then had a population of 2,000 and was organized about this time.
The land commissioner of the republic of Texas offered Mr. WILCOX 320 acres of land, but the offer was not accepted as he felt able to make a home for himself. Mr. WILCOX has seen Collin county grow from a population of one dozen souls to 60,000 or more, and the town of McKinney gradually come to its present, pretentious proportions from bald prairie, inhabited only by the buffalo and wild ponies, deer, wolves, and the Indians.
After the organization of the county, he served as justice of the peace from 1867 to 1873, the precinct he represented covering the entire section of county now known as Collin and Fannin counties. His office was located at Plano which was then the most central point of the population. It will be seen that Mr. WILCOX was made justice of the peace the same year, Hon. J. W. THROCKMORTON was made governor.
At this time the law was represented by Gov. J. W. THROCKMORTON, Col. Joseph BLEDSOE, John C. EASTON, Lon ALLEN, Judge T. J. BROWN and several others. These men were in their young manhood then, and several of them are yet living.
(Sixteen years ago Mr. WILCOX moved to McKinney where he has, since been engaged in the lumber business. His first wife was a sister to Gov. THROCKMORTON. Several years after her death, he married Miss Fannie McAULAY, sister to Dr. F. N. McAULAY of this city. They reside on Wilcox street in the southern portion of the city.)
Reminiscences by Uncle Geo. Herndon. [What is included here is a continuation of an article begun on a page which is missing from this microfilm.
........After fighting Indians for a year, Mr. HERNDON located on 640 acres of land ...southwest of McKinney, known now as the Frank DOWELL place. He says the first year he put land in cultivation he raised some of the finest watermelons and pumpkins he ever saw anywhere and a great quantity of them at that......Corn and wheat were...easily raised. Game was plentiful and Uncle George says all a man needed was a pair of brogan shoes, a hickory shirt, a pair of jeans pants and a coat of the same material and he was considered one of the elite and had free access to the most fashionable society circles of the day. If he couldn’t get these things.., he was received with open arms anyway. Upon his arrival here, Uncle George was offered a 400 acre tract of choice prairie land for a sorrel horse which cost him $75 in Arkansas. He declined this trade. He was afterwards given 640 acres for his services one year with the Texas Rangers in their warfare against the Indians.
A shotgun, or shooting iron of some kind was all that was necessary to have in order to procure provender for the family larder. Living was no question at all and any economical man could soon own land and otherwise become comfortably situated. Mr. HERNDON well remembers the first business house erected in McKinney, a doctor’s office made of four poles with clapboards nailed over and around them for top and sides. This structure was created by Drs. WELLINGTON and BEARD, and was located about where the First National Bank is now situated. This house was built immediately after the election of McKinney as the county seat. McKinney and Post Oak Grove just south of town, about where young Marion HILL was accidentally killed a year ago, were put in nomination and this place received the majority vote. These enterprising medical men did their own carpenter work. They were successful practitioners and good citizens. It is not definitely known what became of them.
Mr. HERNDON once heard Sam Houston make a speech in McKinney. Dr. FOOTE was building his present residence and the same was not completed. There was no public hall and this being by far the largest structure in the community, he was invited to deliver his address there.
A citizen named Joe DIXON erected the first mill in the county. Both flour and meal were manufactured there. The “machinery” was run by ox power. The belting was of raw hide.
In those early days the Indians would make an occasional raid upon the settlers, stealing them out of “house and home” as it were and sometimes murdering the whites. When the redskins swooped down on them all the women and children would be gathered together at one place and ample protection left for them and the rest of the men would fight the Indians until they had either killed them out or made them leave the country.
The first schools of the county were taught by teachers who traveled through the country, organizing and teaching subscription schools. Although the educational advantages of those days were very meagre, some of the boys and girls succeeded in making great headway. Some of our brightest men and women obtained the rudiments of their education in these schools, and some of our most gifted public men had no other school opportunity.
Mr HERNDON is strictly of the opinion that those were the good old days – that then was the time when the “goose hung high” and everybody was happy. However, he takes life philosophically, feeling that he can now rest easy. He has indeed lived a busy useful life and he and Mrs. HERNDON richly deserve the peace and quiet they are enjoying in their old age.
Mrs. Marshall has been identified with the fashionable millinery interest of McKinney for the last thirteen years, at first in charge of the department of G. C. MOUNTCASTLE where she spent five years. The next five years for ARON & COX, and the year 1898 she is beginning her four years in business for herself. Mrs. MARSHALL visits New York City twice every year in order to keep [unreadable].....
ANOTHER BATCH OF COUNTY TOWNS.
WESTON. The Queen of the Prairie.
Weston is situated on a high plane [sic], ten miles north of McKinney. This is one of the oldest inland towns in the county. Parker ADAMSON laid the town off forth-three years ago, surveying it from the tracts of Melton MUGG, Wm. CALDWELL and John CHOATE. Mr. ADAMSON opened the first store. Several cotton and grain buyers are located here and considerable farm produce is marketed.
The town was first incorporated in 1887, with Wm. DENNY as its first mayor. Dr. B. F. SPENCER, served in that capacity the second term. G. A. C. TURNER was marshal. Geo. LUCK is justice of the peace forth [sic] at the precinct now.
The Weston High school accommodates 150 pupils. Prof. WARREN is principal, and has for his assistant, Prof. CROWDER. Miss Tommy HALE has charge of the musical department.... The Baptist congregation has a membership of 95, Rev. AIRHEART pastor. The Methodist have a membership of 200. Rev. BOUNDS is pastor.
The Masonic order and Odd Fellow’s lodge each have a membership of twenty-six. The business portion of the town consists of thirteen firms. Most every line of mercantile business being represented. Four doctors are located at Weston. There are two good gins there, F. M. DOUGLAS operates one, and Thos. ROBINSON the other. At the former place 1200 bales have been ginned and 700 bales turned out at the latter. Weston only lacks three enterprises to become one of the largest towns in Collin county, viz: a railroad, good newspaper, and telephone connection.
Dr. B. F. SPENCER, physician and surgeon has been in Weston 22 years. He was born in Alabama in 1852, attended the University of Murfreesboro, Tenn., and in 1874, graduated at the Louisville, Ky. Medical college. In December 1884 Dr. SPENCER led to the hymenial altar, Miss Alla HUBBARD, with whom he lived happily until her death, which sad event occurred December 1st, 1889. No children were born to them. In January 1893 he was again married, this time to Miss Cora SUTTON. This union has been blessed with two children, a boy and girl..... He is a free-silver democrat and yields a great influence in his balawick. He is congenial, social and cultured, and it is indeed a pleasure to meet with him.
A. T. ROBERTSON carries every thing in the dry goods and grocery line, shelf hardware, tinware, etc. He has been in business here seven years. His trade has increased steadily and he has enlarged his stock from an investment of $50 to $6,000.
J. B. BREECH is just opening a large stock of notions, which he will carry in connection with millinery. Mr. BREECH opened a millinery store in Weston last March and has had a good trade all along. His Christmas stock is immense.
T. H. STAMPS, dealer in drugs and school books, does a good business. He is one of the best known and most highly respected men in the Weston community and has a host of friends.
TANSIL & DOUGLAS enjoy a large drug trade.
Dr. J. A. AVANT has resided in Weston nine years. He came from Alabama. Dr. AVART received his literary education at Auburn, Ala. He took his first course in medicine at New Orleans in 1875. He enjoys a splendid practice.
A. W. RUNION has been in business at Weston for 18 years. He carries groceries, leather goods, tinware, etc. He is one of the most enterprising men of the community and has always enjoyed a liberal trade. Has been a notary public for Weston precinct, is a Christian minister and a most excellent gentleman.
H. W. SIMMONS has been in this section for 32 years. He farmed until 12 years ago, when he entered the drug and grocery business, which he carried on successfully until two months ago, when he sold his drug business to TANSIE [sic] and DOUGLAS. Mr. SIMMONS will still conduct his grocery business. He has a large stock, replete with everything to be desired by the good housewife. His christmas stock is especially fine. He will also handle hardware. He has been postmaster at Weston for the past four years.
F. M. DOUGLAS has been a resident of Collin county forty-five years and has run a general merchandise business almost ever since he came here. In 1869 there were only four stores in Weston, and Mr. DOUGLAS owned one of them. When he opened for business, he had only $450. His business has always flourished, and he now carries a $15,000 stock, consisting of groceries, dry goods, hardware, furniture, farming implements, wagons, and leather goods, and he has recently added drugs. Mr. DOUGLAS also deals in cotton buying about 3000 bales per year. He owns 700 acres of the best land in Collin county. He had bought and shipped 30 cars of hogs this year.
Esquire G. W. LUCK has been in Weston seventeen years. He was elected justice of the peace in 1891 and again last fall. His is a good citizen and gives satisfaction as justice of the peace.
O. A. BROWN opened the Weston hotel in March 1896, also runs a first class livery stable in connection. He had the only hotel in town and furnishes an excellent table. Traveling men would do well to stop with him.
G. A. C. TURNER is well known as an all round machinist. He will repair your buggies, wagons, and machines. He has a good patronage.
B. F. DOUGHERTY has recently opened up a machine and general repair shop. He makes machine work a specialty, making and repairing all kinds of springs. He is a skillful horseshoer. He solicits your patronage and insures you prompt and satisfactory work.
Mr. A. C. VARNER, the popular and well known cash grocer, desires to extend to his friends and patrons a cordial Christmas greeting for the very liberal patronage which they have given him during the past year and begs to say that he will always be ready to furnish them goods as cheap as the cheapest.
J. A. NEAL came to Texas in 1872 and located in McKinney. He is a painter and paper hanger by profession and enjoys the confidence of the people of this community. He gives special attention to sign work, and interior decoration.
LEBANON. The West Side County Town.
John HUFFMAN was the first settler of Lebanon. He came here in 1852. Soon after him came Philip HUFFMAN, Silas HARRINGTON, Dr. SHELBURNE, Z. T. RAINEY, Alfred HARRINGTON, John CROSIER. Z. T. RAINEY opened the first store.
In this store, Philip HUFFMAN kept the postoffice which was established in 1858. Ben W. RHINE and T. T. EMERSON, both now of McKinney, did business here in an early day. Some years after the war, W. J. JOHNSON and others surveyed into town, lots in a plat of land southwest of the old town, and in a few years the town grew and the business extended till now, Lebanon is selling $10,000,000 [sic] worth of goods annually, and has ginned this year 1150 bales of cotton.
There are three churches here, representing the Baptist, Christian, and Methodist denominations. The Baptist church was organized at an early day. Rev. J. B. KIMBROUGH was the first pastor and Ref. H. R. :MORAN is the present pastor. They have now a membership of 185. The Christian church was organized by Elder r. C. HORN in 1882. Elder J. B. FAULKNER is the present pastor. They have a membership of 150, there having been added about 50 members during Bro. FAULKNER’s pastorate. The Methodist church was organized in 1894. Rev. Mr. SHEARER was the first pastor and Rev. D. L. BALL is the present incumbent. They have a membership of 100. All the congregations have good commodious buildings, all of which has a seating capacity of six hundred people. They all have Sunday schools.
There is maintained a good high school during nine months in the year under the principalship of Prof. J. T. TEEL. He is assisted by Prof. Chas. T. COBB and Miss Annie SPRADLEY. They have an enrollment of 168 pupils. The building is a two story structure and is well seated.
R. J. McGUFFIN runs a general blacksmith and repair shop. He has been in the blacksmithing business here four year. Last January he established business of his own. He has been doing a good business and solicits your patronage.
The firm of J. F. GULLEDGE & Bro., is doing a prosperous business. Mr. J. F. GULLEDGE opened up business here 14 years ago. Four years ago he formed partnership with L. J. GULLEDGE. They are accommodating gentlemen, and by their fair dealings, have won many friends. They carry a full line of dry goods, groceries, hardware, etc. They do a rousing business.
D. WORK is one of Lebanon’s most public spirited business men. He has been in business here six years and has made many friends and built up a fine trade. He keeps on hand a complete stock of drugs, patent medicines, paints, oils, school books, stationery, tobacco, cigars, etc. He makes prescription work a specialty. If you want kind, courteous treatment, be sure to give him a call.
H. C. ABBOTT and J. J. DOHERTY are Lebanon’s successful contractors and carpenters. They have had many years experience in their chosen profession, and when you need a house of any kind built, you cannot do better than to secure these gentlemen. They are both first=class workmen, reliable and honest, and that means a whole heap. If you need anything in their line, don’t fail to see them. They have just completed a $3,000 residence for S. P. BUSH.
Squire NELSON is one of Lebanon’s most popular citizens. He has been elected justice for the past ten years, and makes a good one. He is receiving much encouragement all over Collin county to make the race for county clerk. A better man cannot be found in the county.
Constable WORK is a popular and efficient officer.
YEAGER & HUFFMAN are the well known dealers in groceries, hardware and harness. They are clever gentlemen and will give you bargains.
T. J. CAMBELL does a rousing business on a strictly cash basis. He has been in business 17 years and has had a wonderful success which he attributes to the proper treatment of his customers.
Dr. M. C. McBRIDE has been here over ten years and is a well known and popular physician.
E. NELSON is the popular justice of the peace. He has held this office 8 years.
P. J. SHULTZ carries a full line of drugs, confectioneries and can goods.
L. P. ANDERSON does a general blacksmith and repair work.
K. H. ANDERSON runs a good blacksmith shop and feed store in connection. He will treat you right.
PLANO. Hustling, Rustling - A Description of the City and its Business Interests.[This page of the paper is very light and difficult to read on microfilm – unreadable words or sections are noted with .....]
The thriving little city of Plano is situated about half way between McKinney and Dallas, and is second in size and importance only to the county seat. It is located on a rolling prairie and may ........quite a distance........from any direction.
The first houses built in Plano were by R. H. BROWN and Joseph RUSSELL built small cabins where the present town now is. ......... 1845 R. H. BROWN and Joseph RUSSELL and family camped on Rowlett creek. In the spring of 1846 they built cabins and permanently settled. Mr. RUSSELL’s family consisted of a wife, three daughters and one son, the family having moved from Kansas City. The eldest daughter, Mary, married S. P. BROWN, the next, Isabelle, married the Rev. John Beverly. Miss Bettie married R. H. BROWN. Messrs. Sam YOUNG and Hogan WITT were settlers in that community. These two members and another, John D. BROWN, were the first to turn the sod in South Collin. The VANCE families were also early settlers of that section. John VANCE was a Presbyterian preacher. There were three other brothers, one of whom was the first survey of Collin county. They erected the first corn mill in that neighborhood. Joseph KLEPPER and Sandifer BECK built cabins and became permanent citizens of the settlement. Drs. Henry DYE and CRUMPECKER were the first physicians locating there, and it was through the efforts of the former that a postoffice was established. He also gave the place the name of Plano from a Spanish word which means plains.
The fact that Rowlett and Spring creeks furnished plenty of water no doubt induced these early settlers to select this spot as a dwelling place. Like other pioneers, they withstood many hardships and underwent many privations, but such men and women as these “nestors” were never faltered and those who were in the vanguard that opened up civilization in this particular portion of Collin county must have been of a persevering brand indeed, for Plano’s progress has not been without its disadvantages. Many, in fact nearly all, of these pioneers have gone to their reward, and those remaining are only awaiting the final call.
Four times the entire business portion of Plano has been reduced to ashes, but each time, Phoenix-like, it has arisen, grander and most substantial than ever. The last time that the fiery fiend undertook to “swipe” this splendid little city off the map was February 14th of this year, and it well nigh accomplished the purpose. Nineteen business houses were burned, together with most of the goods contained therein. These have been rebuilt of sound brick and stone, one and two story, and now the town presents a better appearance than ever before. The citizens are the progressive kind, “chips off the same old block”, and no undertaking is too large for them to successfully carry through, as is attested by the fact that a $40,000 system of waterworks has just been completed, a new city hall erected and other public improvements of a solid character are in the ....... ....
..........[several paragraphs omitted here - no surnames]
Hon. W. B. BLAKELY, the mayor, has served in that capacity for sixteen years. He is tried and true, and the people of Plano know him well. John ROWLAND preserves the peace and dignity of Plano in the capacity of city marshal. He was first elected in 1882, and has served continuously with the exception of one term. The aldermen are: Messrs. S. M. HARRINGTON, John MOREMATT [?], M. R. HENDRICK, J. L. WYATT, and D. H. BRADSHAW. J. R. ABERNATHY is justice of the peace of precinct No. 5 with his office at Plano. Tom BEVERLY is constable, and makes an exceedingly good officer. C. M. RICE is commissioner from that precinct. ?. A. CROW is the accommodating postmaster.
J. L. WYATT is agent for the H. A. T. C. Railway of Plano. He has held the position for twenty-five years. He is one of the best citizens of that community.
?. E. DERUM is agent at the Cotton Belt depot. He is a accommodating gentleman, well liked by the Plano people.
Plano has three lively newspapers, The Star, Courier, and Snap-Shots.
Below may be found the personelle [sic] of some of Plano’s enterprises. Business men and the different lines of business they represent.
J. T. LEWIS runs a four-chair barber ship, and has done business in Plano for the past ten years with the exception of a short period. He is an artist in his line and employs only first-class workmen. When in need, of an up to date hair cut or an easy shave, give him a call.
Wallace HOUGHTON is a Plano boy, strictly speaking, having been born, raised, and educated in this little city. He is nearly twenty-three years old, and perhaps no young man in Collin county has advanced more rapidly than he. Receiving the degree of A. B. at the age of 17 years, he taught school in the Plano Institute – from which school he graduated – two years, after which he kept books in the Plano National Bank one year and when 20 years old read law under ABERNATHY & BEVERLY of McKinney, and was admitted to the bar at the age of 21. He is energetic and ambitious and has the confidence of a host of people in Collin county. He is assistant county attorney for the Plano precinct and has conducted the office with ability. He is a Mason and is W. M. of the Plano Lodge.
Claud MATTHEWS conducts a No. 4 restaurant and carries a fine line of confectionaries in connection. His Xmas stock is superb. He is a fine fellow, and enjoys a large patronage.
J. M. CARLISLE & Bro. are proprietors of the oldest exclusive grocery store in Plano. The firm is composed of Hon. ?. M. CARLISLE, state superintendent of public instruction and H. B. CARLISLE, and the house is under the management of the latter. They opened up for business June 21, 1889 [sic] and their business has constantly increased from that day to this. Besides handling everything to be found in a first class grocery store, the firm handles cotton and grain and ships as much of this produce as any firm in North Texas........
S. J. MATTHEWS, the general manager of the Arcade sells most anything you want to buy. His line of furniture and hardware is .....in this section and prices in keeping with the times. ....a millinery....
...... & HUNTLEY, the grocers.... The firm is composed of Messrs. Dan DUDLEY and R. B. HUNTLEY. They started a small business five years ago and their trade has increased until they...... They are enterprising men and deserve the success with which they are meeting.
B. W. LEWIS, chronometrical and mechanical surgeon. That means that Mr. LEWIS is an artistic repairer of watches, clocks, jewelry and does engraving. He has been in business eight years, and has built up a fine trade.
H. C. JONES, the grocer, says he don’t do a cash trade, exactly, and admits that occasionally a customer slips through his fingers and hies himself to the B.I.T. He has been doing business in Plano since 1891 and has a good trade.
Rev. Geo. S. SEXTON, pastor of the First Methodist church of Plano, is one of the most gifted ministers in the North Texas conference and it was with much pleasure that the people of this place learned that he had again been sent here. He was born in Hardeman county, Tennessee, and received his literary education at Mt. Carmal Academy in Arkansas, and Hendrix college, same state. He studied for the ministry and graduated from the theological department of the latter institution. Rev. SEXTON came to Texas in 1892 and settled at St. Joe, where he stayed one year....
W. H. CHANDLER and R. W. SANDIFER formed a co-partnership in 1896. They are dry goods merchants and carry a large and well selected stock of everything in their line. Mr. SANDIFER has been a prominent figure in Plano for years. He worked for J. H. GULLEDGE four years and has acquired much knowledge of dry goods. Mr. CHANDLER came to Plano in 1884, and is the oldest merchant now doing business in the town. He was in the hardware business for fifteen years and is well and favorably known. This is a strong and reliable firm.
The new MOORE House is under the management of Mrs. R. A. PALMER. This is a large brick hotel, containing twenty-five rooms. Everything is run in first-class style, and the house enjoys a large patronage from the traveling public. Rates 82 per day. The New Moore House claims to set the best table in all of Collin county.
E. or F. O. HARRINGTON & Co., have been in the furniture business since 1892. They have recently built one of the more commodous houses in the county and carry a very large stock. They also carry in stock carpets, mattings, etc. A new and elegant funeral car has just been put in.
J. S. STANLEY, the blacksmith and wood workman, does everything in his line, builds and repairs wagons, carriages. Etc. Horse shoeing is a specialty. Horses, of a .......
Charles W. RIDOUT whose picture accompanies this sketch, was born August 13th, 1875 in Shelby county, Ten., and was educated at Granberry, Tenn and came to Texas on April 1891, and located at Wylie. The next year he entered the office of the Wylie rustler, which paper was then conducted by the present editor of The Gazette, and commenced to learn the printing business. Later he worked a year in the large mercantile house of Housewright, Swayze & Co;., of Wylie and owned stock....in 18091 he returned to his first love and cast his lot with the [printing] craft. In June 1895, he purchased the Plano Star. He is a versatile writer and yields a free lance. Few young men in Texas have succeeded better, nor deserved success more than Charlie RIDOUT...
E. A. CARPENTER, son of Col. R. W. CARPENTER is Plano’s rustling druggist. He is a graduate of Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and spent two years at Add-Ran College. He was principly [sic] raised in Plano. He carries in his business drugs, fine stationery, watches, jewelry, silverware, etc. Mr. CARPENTER has been in business for nearly two years and has met with unbounded success, counting his friends by the score.
J. A. COLE is the picture man of Plano. He makes all kinds of photographs, guarantees his work and his prices are reasonable. His gallery is over W. R. GEORGE’s harness store. When in Plano be sure and give Mr. COLE a call to have some work done.
Sol GOLDEN, well known throughout the breadth and width of Texas is a resident of Plano. He carries a large stock of staple and fancy groceries and deals in fine whiskies, wines, cigars, etc. He located in Plano in 1896 and has built up one of the largest trades in the state. He is public-spirited and has a host of friends.
J. E. THOMPSON & Co., is the place to eat when in Plano. They are successors to A. S. HENDRICK. They have one of the nicest short order and confectionery houses in Texas, carrying oysters, fish and game in season. They make a speciality of Xmas goods, such as candy, fireworks, etc. Gee HUDSON, the popular caterer, is with them.
Andrew WEASEL was born in Arkansas in 1842, came to Texas in 1848 and located in McKinney, living there six years, after which he lived near Allen. The war took him away from home four years, and he located in Plano in 1873. For many years he was engaged in the furniture and undertakers’ business. Since 1891, however, he has been engaged in the manufacture of all kinds of doors, windows, etc., and does scroll work of every description. He also repairs and manufactures furniture. Mr. WEASEL is one of the old-timers and is well known all over this part of Texas.
M. R. HENDRICK has been in business in Plano for nine years, coming here in 1884. He handles buggies, wagons, cultivators and in fact everything in the implement line. He is a hustler and enjoys a lively trade. He is an alderman of Plano, and quite an enterprising citizen. His friends are legion.
Harry BEATY, druggist, located on the north side of Merchant street, opposite the postoffice is a registered pharmacist and has been in business in Plano for fifteen years. In connection with other articles usually found in an up-to-date drug store, he carries wall paper, paints, oils, school books, stationery, toilet articles, perfumery, also a large stock of silverware, jewelry, etc. He is a reliable business man and is doing a fine business.
For thirteen years, J. L. FLOYD has been one of Plano’s leading business men. He is now engaged in the implement business and carries a large stock of wagons, buggies, farming tools and harness and in connection handles tinware and woodenware. He enjoys the confidence of the trading public of this section and is therefore prosperous.
G. W. WEAVER is one of the hallmarks of Collin county, having resided in the vicinity of Plano for the past forty years. He has been engaged in the cattle and stock business all his life. He is proprietor of the city meat market, and is doing a good business.
B. NEWELL came to Plano in 1878, and proceeded to fit up an elegant blacksmith shop. He does all kinds of repairing, horseshoeing, etc., and guarantees his work. Mr. NEWELL was marshal in 1892 and made a most excellent officer.
Messrs. McFARLIN & GARRETSON are fire and life insurance agents of Plano. Also deal in real estate and do a thriving business. Mr. McFARLIN, the senior member of the firm, has been a resident of the city for years, consequently knows all about his business. Mr. GARRETSON is a young man and is rapidly climbing the ladder of fame.
CAMPBELL & KERR are Plano’s clothiers, hatters, and gents furnishers. They have been here eight years and their business has increased with each succeeding year. N. L. KERR, the junior member of the firm, manages the Plano house. Mr. T. J. CAMPBELL runs a large general merchandise establishment at Lebanon, and resides there. They are genial gentlemen and have a big trade.
Atkinson’s photograph gallery is the place to get all kind of fine pictures made at exceptionally low prices.
BAILEY & SHEPHERD conduct one of the best livery stables to be found in Texas...
H. C. OVERAKER is an old business man, locating here in 1872. He deals in lumber, shingles, doors, sash and blinds...
J. H. GULLEDGE is the general dry goods and clothing merchant in Plano.
[The] Plano National Bank is as solid as the rocks of Gilbralter, The officers of the bank are: G. W. BOWMAN, W. M. WEAVER, T. C. JASPER, W. R. NORTON, J. H. BOWMAN, J. T. ARMSTRONG, J. A. JACKSON.
Jas. D. COTTRELL, was born in Clairborne county, Tennessee, February 3rd, 1866....[remainder of this sketch is very difficult to read]
Enterprising, Pushing ALLEN - Many Buildings are Going Up There.
Half way between McKinney and Plano, on the H. & T. C. Ry., is the beautiful little town of Allen. Built up of substantial business houses and magnificent residences it at once convinces a stranger that people of culture and refinement, to say nothing of means, have had to do with its modeling.
Dr. W. F. WOLFORD who settled in that vicinity in 1872, assisted in its organization. When the doctor located there all the land adjacent was out and as far as the eye could discern in every direction was the rolling prairie. Besides being on the map as a railroad stopping place, and a point from which much grain, cotton, cattle, and hogs are yearly shipped – a place where a happy, prosperous and hospitable people dwell, and a trading point for the population for miles around. Allen’s name is known to history as the place at which the notorious Sam Bass and his gang once successfully held up a train on the Central, robbing the mail and express cars, as well as the passengers, securing quite a snug booty, amounting to several thousand dollars.
One evening in February 1878, Bass and his gang rode into the place and hailed the north bound passenger, due there about dusk. They were “onto” their business and none of the latter day road agents can do a job 2ith more neatness and despatch than did Bass and his followers. Several McKinneyites were on the train at the time, and gracefully yielded to the inevitable. A number of shots were exchanged between the robbers and citizens but no one was hurt. The bandits escaped with the treasure.
.....new buildings just completed... a neat cottage by Paul ERICKSON, A $3,000 residence by S. P. BUSH constructed by ABBOTT & DAUGHERTY, who are getting a lion’s share of the carpenter work of that vicinity, a $1,000 residence by Prof. GADBERRY and a $3,000 residence by Leslie BUSH. G. A. WILKERSON has added about $1,200 worth of improvements to his premises lately, while Dr. WOLFORD and R. B. WHISNANT have each expended $2,000 this year for improvements about their home places.
The new Christian church is complete. This congregation numbers 160 members; Baptists, 200; and Methodists, 160.
There is a large I. O. O. F. Lodge at Allen and three physicians are located here.
The school is under the management of Prof. GADBERRY with Misses Lucy KILLINGSWORTH and Mary SPRADLEY in charge of the intermediate and primary grades respectively. Mrs. H. T. JORDON and Miss Jessie COMPTON conduct the musical department.
The most enterprising of Allen’s business men are:
Mr. H. C. JACKSON is the Central’s popular and accommodating agent. He has lived in Allen three years and owns a nice residence.... He is the right man in the right place.
W. C. KILLINGSWORTH buys and ships grain, and does an extensive business.
One of Allen’s hustling grain buyers is C. W. GERRISH. He is a hustler.
T. B. RICKERSON and C. J. GULLEDGE are Allen’s popular blacksmiths, and each one does a good business.
W. W. CHAPMAN is Allen’s new postmaster. He has been a resident of Collin County for 26 years. He gives entire satisfaction as postmaster.
J. S. SPRADLEY is Allen’s popular and accommodating barber. He was reared in Allen and runs a good barber shop. Whenever you want a good smooth shave be sure to call on J. S. SPRADLEY.
G. A. WILKERSON is another one of Allen’s most popular and progressive business men. He carries a general line of groceries and hardware, and is doing a successful business.
J. J. LOCKHEART is a young business man that has lived around Allen all his life, and had many friends. Some eight months ago, Mr. LOCKHEART built a new business house and opened up a new stock of general merchandise and he has built up an exceptionally fine business.
Mr. L. RUSSELL was reared here and has always been a resident of Allen. He is a stock dealer and is extensively engaged in the buying and shipping of hogs, cattle, etc., for St. Louis and other northern and eastern markets.
Dr. T. M. YOUNG is a popular physician and surgeon, and has resided at Allen for the past thirteen months. He has recently put in a nice new stock of drugs, druggists’ sundries, patent medicines, etc.
As a pleasant and courteous gentleman, there is none more so than J. H. HEAD, the up to date merchant at Allen. He has been in business eight years, and carries everything in the dry goods and grocery line and does a large and successful business.
Mr. H. T. Jordan is a gentleman who has been a resident of Collin county for eighteen years. He has been successfully engaged in business in Allen for the past six years. He carries a full stock of dry goods, representing all the latest patterns, a stock of staple and fancy groceries, and a well selected line of hardware.
Mr. J. P. HARDING is Allen’s enterprising and prosperous druggist. He always keeps on hand a full line of chemically pure drugs. He received his literate education at the A & M at Bryan and took the complete course in chemistry at the same institution.
T. W. TACKETT and Ed L. ALLEN conduct the largest dry goods house in Allen, and while they have only been in business for two and one half years, they have gradually climbed to the top, and enjoy a trade second to none. Mr. TACKETT is a Mississippian by birth and lived in New Orleans for ten years. Mr. ALLEN has lived in this county for many years and resided for 14 years previous in McKinney....
The new firm of C. M. CHRISTIE & Son, who built a good store building and opened up a fine stock of general merchandise hardware and cultivators some six months ago, are building up a good substantial business. C. M. CHRISTIE was raised in Rusk county, Texas and has lived for the past several years in the Bethany country. He and his oldest son, J. F., engaged in business after moving here some six months ago....
FARMERSVILLE.[included here is the continuation of a story on the town begun on a page missing from the microfilm]
D. P. ASHBY has a general repair shop consisting of blacksmithing, wood work, buggy repairing, etc. He has been in business seven years at this place.
Mr. T. L. NORWOOD has been in business four years. He carries a full line of stationary, books, general school supplies and musical instruments.
Wm. FORAKER is the proprietor of the Exchange Hotel. He has been in business here only three months, but has had a good patronage. He keeps a good table and runs a first class all around $1 a day house.
The largest and leading dry goods, clothing and millinery store in Farmersville, the metropolis of East Collin, is owned band conducted by DeSHIELD Bros, three young business men who engaged in business here some ten years ago.
The City of WYLIE – A Promising South Collin Town.
[This article is very light and difficult, if not impossible, to read. Readable surnames have been included here, but most of the context in which they appeared was unclear.
The school is under the able management of Supt. MOULTON, assisted by Prof. HUTCHINS and Miss Smythe JANES [sic]
.... Mr. McADAMS...
... Miss Mary CHILES....
Dr. BUTLER was born in Roane county, Tennessee....
GALLAGHER & NEILON conduct one of the largest drug stores in the county...
...the hotel changed management - Capt. R. M. BOARD and wife assuming control.....
...Dr. John F. BUTLER....
....G. A. FOOTE....
New Christian Church Dedicated. The Magnificent Edifice Corner Hunt and Benge’s Streets Dedicated Sunday.
Owing to the dedication of the new Christian church, no services were held at any of the other churches of the city last Sunday morning. In the evening sermons were delivered in the Baptist, Old School Presbyterian, and Methodist houses of worship, the sermon at the latter being the opening one by the new pastor, rev. J. W. HILL......
.....some of the history connected with this congregation and with those whose liberality made possible this magnificent temple of worship...
On the first day of April 1848, the First Christian church of McKinney was organized by Elder J. B. WILMETH, Collin’s first county judge and a number of other faithful workers, all of whom have long since passed away. Among those who ministered to the church during its earliest days were Brothers HALL, POLLY, CLARK and other able men of God whose names are treasured in the memories of the older members of the congregation. Later, successful meetings were held by Elders Charles CARLTON of Bonham, T. W. CASKY, F. M. GANO, J. M. TENNISON, Addison CLARK and other consecrated men. Elders J. M. WILMETH, son of the organizer and R. C. HORN of Vineland, have also done much toward the advancement of the church. In 1859 the first house of worship was erected on the spot where the pastor’s cottage now stands, fourteen years later, however, a cyclone demolished the building and a new one was erected in 1879. In this house the congregation worshipped for more than 18 years, the farewell services being held there Sunday the 5th inst.
The first regular pastor of the church was Elder J. S. MUSE, the others following in the order named: Kirk BAXTER, Wm. SKILES, J. B. FAULLANER [sic] [FAULKNER ??], C. W. SEWELL, J. P. PINKERTON, D. W. PRITCHETT, A. P. TERRELL, S. W. CRUTCHER and the present pastor, S. K. HALLAM.
.....Soon after being called to the pastorate, Elder HALLAM began strongly agitating a new church building.....No action was taken until last March, when I. D. NEWSOME and his sons, W. B. and G. A. NEWSOME submitted a proposition to erect a $14,000 church building provided the other members would agree to raise an amount sufficient to clear the lot of encumbrance and to furnish the church, including a $3,000 pipe organ......
The man to whose liberality together with that of his two sons, the present structure was made possible, is a Mississippian by birth, having been born in Marion county there in 1832. Mr. NEWSOME was raised by his paternal grandfather, his parents having died when he was a mere infant. In his 20th year, he was united in marriage to Miss Lucy WILLINGHAM, daughter of Rev. Thomas WILLINGHAM, a minister of the Baptist persuasion. Coming to Texas in 18[?]2, they settled in McKinney then a rude hamlet, and Mr. NEWSOME opened a general merchandise store in a small frame building..... Mr. NEWSOME temporarily closed his store during the dark days of the Civil War, shouldered his gun and fought in the defense of the Southern cause. Their children are three: W. B. NEWSOME, E. A. NEWSOME and Mrs. Ella DAUGHERTY. Mrs. DAUGHERTY resides at Gainesville......
The present pastor of the Christian church, Elder S. K. HALLAM was born in Clinton county, Ohio, Jan 30th, 1845. Three years later his parents moved to Illinois and in 1856 he entered Eureka College, graduating in the class of ‘62. Two years later he was ordained to the ministry. The following five years he spent in California.....He was married to M. Isabel PATRICK of Washington, Ill, in 1867. In 1869 he returned from California and served the churches at Pittsburgh, Pa., and Knoxville, Ill. In later years his work has been principally in the South.
The services [of dedication] began promptly at 11 o’clock with the organ voluntary by Miss McCRAHEN [McGRAKEN ??], after which the congregation arose and sang the doxology....the dedication of King Solomon’s temple, was read by Elder d. W. PRITCHETT of Greenville.....the pastors of the various denominations of the city and visiting preachers...occupied seats upon the platform were: E. E. KING, W. J. McMILLAN, J. H. WOFFORD, J. W. HILL, [?.} B. FAULKNER of Wylie, R. C. HORN of Vineland, S. W. CRUTCHER of Plano, D. W. PRITCHETT of Greenville, V. R. STAOO of Melissa, and Charles CARLTON of Bonham. ......
.... The benediction was pronounced by Rev. J. H. WOFFORD.
The evening sermon, which was an excellent one, was delivered by President Charles CARLTON of Carlton College, Bonham. At the conclusion of the sermon, Elder HALLAM was installed as pastor and W. T. COX, W. G. FORSYTH, W. B. NEWSOME, J. L. WHITE and W. W. McDOWELL were ordained deacons.
An Able Educator - A Short Biographical Sketch of Prof. W. M. ERWIN of Melissa.
Mr. ERWIN is a graduate of Kidder Institute, Kidder, Mo., and is a teacher by choice, making this profession his life work. With this object in view, he has equipped himself thoroughly and stands the peer of any man in his chosen field of labor. For several years he has been one of the most successful teachers, and on....[The remainder of this article is too light to read.]
Prof. J. B. WARREN of Weston, Texas.
Prof. J. B. WARREN, B. S. is the principal of the Weston High School. He is a typical teacher - a courteous, cultured Christian gentleman. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity. Prof. WARREN was born near Lebanon, Tenn., and attended the various schools, public and private of the neighborhood till his twentieth year when he entered Cumberland University. ...he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science. He immediately engaged in teaching and in a few years he had established such a reputation as an organizer and conductor of schools that he was elected Superintendent of public instruction of his county. ..... He came to Texas last January and being well pleased with the state, has decided to make it his future home. His first assistant [at Weston] is Prof. J. W. CROWDER who has been with him for several years. Prof. Marvin BROWN also assists him. The department of piano, and vocal music is under the direction of Miss Tommie HALE. After availing herself of the best advantages afforded by Tennessee, Miss HALE attended the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music for several years.
Little Racket Store - in McKinney has Bought the Murphy Stock...
The Little Racket Store first opened its doors in McKinney for business Sept. 13th, 1893 on south Tennessee street, J. E. TALBERT, proprietor. ...January 1st 1894, the proprietor found a partnership with Mr. M. E. PURNELL. In September 1896, J. E. TALBERT’s health became bad and M. E. PURNELL succeeded the firm and has since conducted the establishment. In February 1897 Mr. PURNELL purchased the Mississippi Store stock of dry goods – then PERRY, OLDHAM & Co’s Store. On December 17th 1897, Mr. PURNELL added another feather to his cap by purchasing the large stock of goods of MURPHY & Co., who had resurrected the Mississippi store...
J. C. MOORE’s House a Landmark.
A record of twenty-two years is the enviable one attained by the large implement house of J. [?.] MOORE situated on the east side of South Kentucky Street. About six years ago, Mr. MOORE replaced the frame structure in which he had been transacting business during the previous years with the commodious brick structure which he how occupies. ....Mr. MOORE is not only well known as a business man, but takes a deep interest in politics and other matters affecting the community.
J. W. GORDEN of Lebanon.
...has been in business six years. He is always ready to give you a nice smooth shave. He also has a good bathroom in connection. He will soon have on hand a fine line of confectioneries, cigars, and tobacco: also cider, soda pop, and lemonade. When you want anything in his line, give him a call.
Dr. Edwin L. BURTON, A Successful Surgeon and Specialist.
The subject of this sketch came to McKinney about seven years ago from Dallas, and opened an office over S. WEISMAN’s store. Dr. BURTON was raised near Bells, in Grayson county and received his literary education at Austin College. After attending this school, he entered the Louisville Medical College, where he graduated and after several years of highly successful general practice, decided to prepare himself for a specialist......From the hour of his debut in McKinney society circles, Dr. BURTON has been a general favorite with the fair sex and the climax of his popularity was reached on the 15th inst. When he led to the hymenial alter Miss Lizzie May DUER, one of the most lovely young ladies.
For a Fine XMAS Egg Nogg [sic] ... go to Jimand ALEX’s Place.
Dr. W. C. BERRY, Resident Dentist, Plano, Texas. All work guaranteed.
A. B. ANGLE, Veterinary Surgeon, Plano, Texas.
M. J. MENDENHALL and Co., Insurance, Plano, Texas.
J. H. GULLEDGE Dry Goods must be Sold. Come to Plano to secure Bargains.
For Fine Christmas and Holiday Presents call on A. WEATHERFORD, Plano’s Jeweler.
M. T. JONES, Fire Insurance Agent. McKinney, Texas.
Buy your Christmas Eatables where you can get what you want. J. M. ANDREWS, Grocer, McKinney, Texas.
T. J. MELTON, the cash grocer. McKinney, Texas.
T. S. JACKSON, Attorney and Counsellor [sic] at Law., McKinney, Texas.
One Thousand Dollars in Fancy Christmas China Goods suitable for Christmas Presents very cheap. J. T. NALE.
McMULLEN and FORBES - All kinds of eatables for the Holidays.
J. H. WILSON Meat Market, McKinney, Texas.
A. J. THOMPSON, Saddles, Harness, Etc.
McKinney’s Tonsorial Artists – MUNGER and LANE.
Henry FOSTER, Whiskies, Wines, Brandies. X-Mas is coming!
H. L. PEARSON, Dentist.
Dr. J. A. CALDWELL, Physician and Surgeon, McKinney.
Dr. M. S. METZ, homeopathic physician and surgeon, McKinney, Texas.