Earliest known ancestor John Driscoll b.~1827, Skeaf, Clogough Parish, Cork.
Driscoll family Bible. The first entry is:
Born March 20, 1831
Native of Skeaf
County Cork, Ireland
Next is the listing of the children born to Patrick Driscoll and his wife. For some unknown reason the wife's name is not recorded. It is Hannah Mahoney. She is the daughter of Jeremiah Mahoney and Ellen Saxton, both of Ireland. I do not know where they were married but I am guessing in America, where all the children were born.
John Driscoll b. 04 Feb 1864 Denis Driscoll b. 28 Aug 1866 Margaret Anne Driscoll b. 11 Feb 1869 Mary Driscoll b. 15 Mar 1871 Patrick Driscoll b. 13 Jan 1874 d. 15 Feb 1874 Thomas Driscoll b. 21 Apr 1875 Ellen Driscoll b. 20 Mar 1878 William Driscoll b. 11 Jul 1880
Below that is the listing of the marriage of Patrick MARTIN to Margaret Ann Driscoll on May 4, 1892.
Next we have some letters written in 1888, 1890 and 1916. Above the date is written Skeaf. They are written to a Cousin Maggie from her cousin Dan Driscoll. Margaret (Maggie) is the third child and first daughter of the above named Patrick Driscoll.
On the Census of Ireland 1901 in County Cork, Parlimentery Division - South East Cork, Poor Law Union -Clonakility, District Electoral Division - Kilmaloda East, Township - Skeaf West, Barony - Carbery there is a John Driscoll 74, wife Hannah 70, Son Daniel 33, Son Jeremiah 31 and Son Thomas 29. The sons are not married.
On the Census of Ireland 1911 in the same location we find John as a widower. Daniel is now married to Mary and they have 4 children ( Norah 7, John 6, Timothy 2 and Ellen 6 months) and Thomas is still living there. They also have a visitor, Nancy Collins; mother of Mary, who came from Gurt na crishna after her husband died.( we are secretly hoping she is related to Michael Collins). In the letter of 1916, Daniel refers to his marriage and 4 children.
From the dates on the census it looks like John was born in 1826 in Skeaf. The Patrick above was born in 1831. I believe that they were brothers, since Daniel refers to Margaret as his cousin. John would have inherited the farm as he was the oldest son. I am still searching for other children from that generation ,as I never heard of the Irish having only two children.
I have reason to believe that John and Patrick's father was William Driscoll. He either married a Annie Kingston or Mary Ann McQuade or Mary Ann McCabe. She was supposed to be from Killavarrig, Timoleague, Co. Cork.
Some of the present day relatives mentioned that John and Patrick Driscoll looked very much alike.
- 1.William Driscoll
+Annie Kingston, or Mary Ann McCabe, or Mary Ann Mc Quaide or Mary Ann Mc Quade from Killavarrig near Timoleague, County Cork, Ire
- 2. John Driscoll 1827, m. Hanorah Collins she b.1831; of Skeaf, County Cork [Children baptised Church of the Nativity of Our Lady in Timoleague]
2. Patrick Driscoll 1831-1914 Born in Skeaf- died in Lowellville, Mahoning, Ohio
- 3. Dennis
- 3. John m. Norah Collins
- 3. Michael Driscoll - never married; moved to Australia; d. 1939
- 3. Patrick
- 3. Tade
- 3. Cornelius Driscoll b. 1860 - moved to Australia
- 3. Daniel Driscoll b. 1868
+Mary Collins b.1872; m. 1903 in Mary's parish
- 3. Jeremiah Driscoll born 23 Sep 1869; bap 24 Sep 1869 - went to America, never heard from him
- 3. Thomas Driscoll bap 10 Jan 1872- remained in Skeaf with Daniel
+ Hannah Mahoney 1833-1912 Born in Ireland - died in Lowellville, Ohio
- 3. John Driscoll 1864-1939
- 3. Denis Driscoll 1866-1939
- 3. Margaret Anne Driscoll 1869-1925
+ Thomas Dennis Martin 1864-1928 Born. Castleblayney, Monoghan, Ire Died Lowellville, Ohio
- 3. Mary Driscoll 1871-1941
- 3. Patrick Driscoll 1874-1874
- 3. Thomas Driscoll 1875 - ?
- 3. Ellen Cathrine Driscoll 1878- 1964
- 3. William F Driscoll 1880-1962
Tests Taken: Y-DNA 67
Observation: Matches kit # 87791.