This home page was created for descendents of William J. Walls and Sarah (Sally) E. Cotrell.
Special thanks to Ronda Hall and Nadine Quiggle for all their hard work and willingness to share information.
William J. Walls and Sarah "Sally" E. Cotrell
William Jackson Walls was born on 27 April 1858 in Johnson County, Arkansas to Jesse C. Walls and Millie Jane Molder. Wiilliam's father, Jesse, was a Union Soldier who died in the Civil War in 1964. William moved to Pike County, OH sometime before 1870 with his mother. His older half-brother, Henry Hill, was also living in Pike County. William and his mother, Millie, were living there in the household of Joshua Haines in the 1870 Ohio census. Ten years later, he was back in Arkansas where he was listed as a nephew, living with his paternal uncle, Charles Walls (brother to Jesse) who was married to William's maternal aunt (Rachel Molder Walls - sister to Millie), on the 1880 census. Apparently he then later returned to Ohio, where he married Sarah "Sally" Elizabeth Cotrell on 8 December 1887 at Pike County, Ohio. Sometime between 1911 and 1914, William and Sally moved from Clark County, Ohio to Southern Michigan with at least two of their grown children and their families, Henry Chase and Bertha Catherine. They were living in the Buchanan Township, Berrien County, Michigan by the time of the 1920 census, and William J. Walls was listed as a farmer. William Walls died on 21 September, 1936 at the Berrien County Infirmary in Berrien County, Michigan. He was buried in Buchanan, Berrien Co., Michigan on 23 September, 1936. On his death certificate he is listed as a laborer, and his parents are listed as "unknown". Click HERE to see a copy of William's death certificate.
Sarah "Sally" Elizabeth Cotrell was born in Oct 1863 in Pike Co., Ohio to James M. Cotrell, Jr. (b. 20 Feb 1836 in Montgomery Co., Ohio; d. 21 Feb 1875 Pike Co., Ohio) and Ann Elizabeth Bond (b. 30 Oct 1837 in Hardy Co., Virginia; d. 26 Feb 1878 in Pike Co., Ohio). Sarah died 17 May 1929 in Berrien County, Michigan.
(Click HERE for a picture of William & Sarah Walls)
Click HERE for a picture of their grave stone - please note that the death date on Williams doesn't match the death year on his death certificate. I can only imagine it is a mistake, as the death certificate would take precedence in dating.)
The Children of William Jackson Walls and Sarah Cotrell
1. Henry Chase Walls, born 9 Sep 1888 in Ohio. He married Lucretia Imo Wolford at Urbana, Ohio on 30 November, 1911. Henry Chase died on 1 June 1972 in Buchanan, Michigan. Click on his link for more information about this family, which is in my direct line.
2. Bertha Catherine Walls, born 25 Nov 1890. She married William Isaac Wolford at Urbana, Ohio on 17 August, 1910. Bertha Catherine died on 6 December 1973 in Berrien Center, Michigan from cardiac arrest. Her husband (William Wolford) and her brother Henry's wife (Imo Lucrecia Wolford) were siblings. I have a separate page for the family of William and Bertha (Walls) Wolford.
3. Gilbert Earl Walls was born 19 Jan 1893 at Moorefield, Clark Co., Ohio. He married Eleanor E. Barnes (b. 1905 to Howard F. Barnes (1885-1960) and Winifred Wooden (1885-1943); Eleanor d. 22 Nov 1951) and had two sons with Earl Walls. Earl died 18 Dec 1928. Eleanor Barnes Walls subsequently married Earl Miller (b. 1905, d. 4 May 1970). G. Earl Walls is buried in the Oak Ridge Cemetery, Buchanan, Michigan along with his wife, Eleanor, and her second husband, Earl Miller (1905-1970). Here is a picture of G. Earle Walls' grave stone. G. Earl and Eleanor Walls' sons were later adopted by Earl Miller and took his last name.
4. Ada Irma Walls was born 4 July 1895 in Ohio; d. 21 Aug 1970 in Richmond, Wayne Co., Indiana. She married Lewis Howard May (b. 3 Jan 1894 in Leesburg, Union Co., OH; d. Nov 1981 at Richmond, Wayne Co., Indiana.) They did not have children.
5. Ethel J. Walls was born 18 February, 1898 at Urbana, Champaign Co., Ohio. She was both deaf and mute. She died 27 Dec 1947 at St. Mary's, Ohio
6. Hester E. Walls was born abt 1902 in Ohio; d. 29 Aug 1927 at Buchanan, Berrien Co., Michigan. She married Clifford George Likes (1900-1987)
7. Joseph Jackson Walls was born on 13 June 1904
in Ohio. He died 19 aug 1974 in Cassopolis, Michigan. He
married Donna Jane Langston, she was born 14 Oct 1912 and d. May 1987
in Michigan. Joseph died on 19 August 1975 at Cassopolis,
Michigan. They had at least one child, Patricia Ann Walls
Please send corrections and/or inquiries to: email@example.com
last updated July 12, 2013
return to the top of the page
return to Walls Genealogy table of contents
Wolford Family Web Pages
Mummey Family Web Pages
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids