Richard Sharp was born abt 1751 in North Carolina, d. 3 Mar 1823 in
Campbell County, Tennessee. His middle name might have been Nicholas, a
name which surfaces repeatedly in future generations. Also, in some
family records he is referred to as "Nick Sharp." A Richard Sharp shows
up on the 1800 U.S. Federal Census living in Salisbury, Rockingham
County, NC. He is also probably the Richard Sharp listed in 1818
in Campbell County, TN on the Tennessee Compiled Census and Census
Substitutes Index for the period 1810-1891.
I'm not sure who his wife was. I have seen reference to Richard marrying a Sarah Virginia Joyce - for which I cannot find proof. His wife is not mentioned in his will, dated 5 Feb 1823, so she must have died before he did. Richard and his wife likely had the following children, and possibly more:
Note: There is another Sharp of the same age living in Campbell County, TN at the same time as Richard "Nick" Sharp. His name was Aaron Sharp and his find-a-grave memorial is # 25337115. Aaron's parents were John George Sharp (1722-1789, born in Germany), and Anna Maria Loy (1728-1777. I sometimes wonder if this family is related to Richard "Nick" Sharp. Just a thought. No proof.
1. William Sharp, b. abt 1769 at North Carolina; d. 3 Mar 1823 at Campbell Co., TN; abt 1794 he possibly married Elizabeth Burris (b. abt 1776 and d. abt 1805). They had at least the following children: Isham Sharp (b. abt 1790), ; Sarah Sharp (b. abt 1797); Doris Sharp (b. abt 1799); John Jackson Sharp (abt 1805-1840); Rachel Sharp?; Elizabeth Sharp (1802); Barrin Sharp (1803-1875); I have seen reference to a daughter named Nancy Sharp (abt 1810-1879), but she would not have had Elizabeth Burris as a mother if the death date above is correct for William's first wife. I don't have information about a second wife, but there likely could have been one.
2. Richard Sharp, b. abt 1775 at North Carolina; d. 3 Mar 1823 at Campbell Co., Tennessee (Find-A-Grave Memorial #56805089); abt 1799 at Rockingham Co., North Carolina he married Nancy Means (1773-1850), daughter of Robert Means (1735-1822) and Betsey Robertson (1738-1822). They likely had at least the following children: Elizabeth Sharp (1800-1850); Flemmon Sharp (1802-1876); Richard A. Sharp (1805-1876); James N. Sharp (b. abt 1806); Andrew Robertson Sharp (1808-1862); William David Sharp (1810-1865). A Richard Sharp shows up in the Tennessee Census for 1818 on the Campbell County Tax List.
3. Agnes Sharp, b. abt 1776 at North Carolina; d. abt 1850 at Kentucky, in 1791 she married Samuel Richardson (b. abt 1779); son of Joseph Richardson (1748-1817) and Sarah Compton (1753-1847)) at Rockingham, North Carolina. They had at least one child: Joseph Richardson (1799-1878). There is a Samuel (b. VA) and Agnes Richardson (b. NC) living in Div. 2, Wayne County, Kentucky on the 1850 U.S. Federal Census.
4. Sarah Sharp, born about 1777 at North Carolina, married a "Wright?" In her father's will she is referred to as Sarah Right.
5. Isham Sharp, b. abt 1779 at North Carolina, d. abt 1870 at Scott Co., TN. He married Sarah Joyce (daughter of John Joyce (1743-1827) and Nancy Anderson (1750-1789). This couple shows up on the U.S. Federal Census living in Hunstville, Scott Co., TN in 1860. Sarah was b. abt 1785, and d. abt 1870) and they had at least the following children: Nancy Sharp (1804-1888, married Isaac Roysdon); Joseph Sharp (1811-1870); Margaret Sharp (1816-1879); Isham Sharp (1817); William Sharp (1825-1918); Emilia Sharp (b. abt 1829), possibly more.
6. James Sharp , b. about 1782 at Buckingham, Virginia. d. abt 1843 in Tennessee. He married Flemin (Flemmon?) Means (sister of Nancy Means). Click on this link to see his descendents. This is my line.
7. Mary Sharp (married a Varon, in her father's will she is referred to as Mary Varon)
8. Nancy Sharp (married a Smith, in her father's will she is referred to as Nancy Smith)
This page was last updated on May 27, 2017
return to the top of the page
return to Sharp Genealogy table of contents
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids