Richard Sharp was born abt 1751 , d. abt 1823 in Campbell County, Tennessee. His middle name might have been Nicholas, a name which surfaces repeatedly in future generations. Also, in some family records he is referred to as "Nick Sharp." A Richard Sharp shows up on the 1800 U.S. Federal Census living in Salisbury, Rockingham County, NC.
I'm not sure who his wife was. I have seen reference to Richard marrying a Sarah Virginia Joyce - for which I cannot find proof. His wife is not mentioned in his will, dated 5 Feb 1823, so she must have died before he did. Richard and his wife possibly had the following children:
1. William Sharp, b. abt 1769 at North Carolina; d. 3 Mar 1823 at Campbell Co., TN; possibly married Elizabeth Burris (b. abt 1776 and d. abt 1805). They had at least the following children: Isham Sharp, Nancy Sharp (1788-1838); Sarah Sharp (b. abt 1797); Doris Sharp (b. abt 1799); John Jackson Sharp (1800-1840); Rachel Sharp? (b. abt 1800); Elizabeth Sharp (1802); Barrin Sharp (1803-1875)
2. Richard Sharp, b. abt 1775 at North Carolina; d. 3 Mar 1823 at Campbell Co., Tennessee (Find-A-Grave Memorial #56805089); abt 1799 at Rockingham Co., North Carolina he married Nancy Means (1773-1850), daughter of Robert Means (1735-1822) and Betsey Robertson (1738-1822). They likely had at least the following children: Elizabeth Sharp (1800-1850); Flemmon Sharp (1802-1876); Richard A. Sharp (1805-1876); James N. Sharp (b. abt 1806); William David Sharp (1810-1865). A Richard Sharp shows up in the Tennessee Census for 1818 on the Campbell County Tax List.
3. Agnes Sharp, b. abt 1776 at North Carolina; d. abt 1850 at Kentucky, in 1791 she married Samuel Richardson (b. abt 1779); son of Joseph Richardson (1748-1817) and Sarah Compton (1753-1847)) at Rockingham, North Carolina. They had at least one child: Joseph Richardson (1799-1878). There is a Samuel (b. VA) and Agnes Richardson (b. NC) living in Div. 2, Wayne County, Kentucky on the 1850 U.S. Federal Census.
4. Sarah Sharp, born about 1777 at North Carolina, married a "Wright?"
5. Isham Sharp, b. abt 1779 at North Carolina, d. abt 1870 at Scott Co., TN. He married Sarah Joyce (daughter of John Joyce (1743-1827) and Nancy Anderson (1750-1789). This couple shows up on the U.S. Federal Census living in Hunstville, Scott Co., TN in 1860. Sarah was b. abt 1785, and d. abt 1870) and they had at least the following children: Nancy Sharp (b. abt 1810); Joseph Sharp (1811-1870); Margaret Sharp (1816-1879); Isham Sharp (1817); William Sharp (1825-1918); Emilia Sharp (b. abt 1829), possibly more.
6. James Sharp , b. about 1782 at Buckingham, Virginia. d. abt 1843 in Tennessee. He married Flemin (Flemmon?) Means (sister of Nancy Means). Click on this link to see his descendents. This is my line.
7. Mary Sharp (married a Varon)
8. Nancy Sharp (married a Smith)
This page was last updated on May 28, 2013
return to the top of the page
return to Sharp Genealogy table of contents
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids