Please let me know when you find corrections are needed!
Jacob Hix, born at Virginia about 1781 possibly to Meshach Hix and Elizabeth Moreland?. There was a Jacob Hicks listed as head of household in Wayne County, Kentucky on both the 1830 and 1840 US Federal Census. In 1850 his is living in Wayne County with his wife, Leticia and five of their children.
Jacob Hix married a Leticia (last name unknow) who was born about 1791. Jacob and Laticia Hix likely had the following children:
1. John Hicks, 1806-1880 - see below for more information about his descendents.
2. James Hicks, b. 22 Apr 1809; d. 24 Jun 1892; m. a Lucinda (?) and had the following children: Sara Hicks (b. abt 1829); Silvester Hicks (b. abt 1832); Simeon Hicks (b. about 1836); Charles S. Hicks (b. abt 1836); Elizabeth Hicks (b. abt 1838); Lucinda Hicks (b. about 1843); David Hicks (b. abt 1848); Ermine G. Hicks (b. about 1849)
3. Nathaniel Hicks (Hix?) b. about 1816, m. Martha A. Bell. They had at least the following children: Joshua B. Hicks (b. abt 1848); Louisa A. Hicks (b. abt 1850); Letticia Hicks (b. about 1851); William C.A. Hicks (b. about 1860); John W. Hicks (b. about 1862); Marietta Hicks (b. abt 1869)
4. Wiley Hicks, abt 1819; m. a Nancy (?); they had at least the following children: James A. Hicks (b. about 1843); Sarah A.E. Hicks (b. abt 1845); Jacob Hicks (b. abt 1847); and Shelby F. Hicks (b. abt 1848); William D. Hicks (b. abt 1852); Joseph G. Hicks (b. abt 1854); John A. Hicks (b. abt 1859); and Mary Hicks (b. abt 1865). This family seems to have moved from Wayne Co., KY to Washington, Cedar County, Missouri between the 1850 and 1860 federal census.
5. Champion T. Hicks, b. 1821; d. abt 1891, and on 23 Dec 1841 he married Rebecca Emily Shearer (daughter of Daniel Shearer and Margaret Vickery). Champion and Rebecca (Shearer) Hicks had the following children: Margaret Hicks (b. 1843); Sarah Caroline Hicks (b. 1850- ); ?Mary Hicks (b. 1853); Emarine Hicks (b. 1855); Shelby Hicks (b. 1857); Helen Hicks (b. 1858); Amanda "Manda" Hicks (b. 1861); Virginia Hicks (b. 1861); Lexi Hicks (b. 1867); Marshall J. Hicks (b. abt 1871). NOTE: the daughter Sarah Caroline Hicks married John Bertram, and they are the parents of Lula Bertram who married Isaac Denton Hicks, who was the son of William W. Hicks and Abigail Littrell- see below. I am not 100% sure that Champion was a child of Jacob and Laticia - however, I am including this because I have found him with those parents in at least a couple of public family trees and the time/area works. This is not documented, though.
6. Leticia Hicks, b. 27 Nov 1825; d. 7 Mar 1879; m. Isaac Newton Huffaker (1812-1888) and they had the following children: Tobias Huffaker (b. abt 1855); Elias Huffaker (b. abt 1857);
7. Elizabeth Hix, 1830 - ?
7. Lucretia Hix, 1831 -?
8. Patsy Hicks, 1833 -?
John Hicks and Sarah Smith
John Hicks was born abt 1806 at Wayne County, Kentucky to Jacob Hix and Leticia (last name unknown). He died 23 Feb 1880 at Wayne County, Kentucky. On 4 Nov 1824 at Wayne County, Kentucky, he married Sarah Smith.
Sarah Smith was born abt 1801 at Virginia and her father's name was James Smith. She was still living as of the 1880 Federal Census, living in Slick Ford, Wayne County, Kentucky. John and Sarah had at least the following children:
1. Jacob Hicks, b. 5 Nov 1825 at Wayne County, KY, d. 10 Dec 1897 at Wayne Co., KY, in 1847 he married Elizabeth Jane Morrison (1827-1913). They had at least the following children: Wesley William Hicks (b. 1847); Laura Isabell Hicks (1851-1941); Melissa J. Hicks (b. abt 1852); Charlotte Hicks (1859-1944); Sarah M. Hicks (b. abt 1861); Mary A. Hicks (b. abt 1863). Jacob served in the Union Army during the Civil war and was a member of the 23rd Regiment Kentucky Volunteer Infantry.
2. William W. Hicks, b. 28 Feb 1827 at Wayne County, KY, d. 11 Dec 1897 at Wayne County, KY, he married Abigail Littrell - see below for more information about their descendents.
3. James Madison Hicks, b. 19 Oct 1830 (?) at Wayne County, KY ; d. 18 Jul 1888 at Coon Creek, Sutter, CA. In 1890, he married Annetta Carolina Schulz (b. 8 Aug 1834 at Attica, Wyoming, and she d. 7 May 1908 at Wheatland, Yuba Co., California). They had the following children: Sarah Caroline Hicks (1859-1913); Stephen Douglas Hicks (1860-1929); Minnie Eleanor Hicks (1863-1874); James Martin Hicks (1865-1913); John Frederick Hicks (1869-1919); Charles Frank Hicks (1873-1877); Champ Clark Hicks (1876-1948)
4. Elizabeth Hicks, b. 12 Oct 1830 at Wayne County, KY; d. 6 Jan 1875 at Wayne County, KY; married James Varner Bertram on 4 Feb 1864 at Wayne County, KY. They had at least the following children: Johnny C. Bertram (1865-1936); Sarah R. Bertram (1866-1944); Samantha Ellen Bertram (1871); James Ahial Bertram (1874-1924)
5. Sherrod Hicks, b. 15 Jun 1833 at Wayne County, KY, d. abt 1900 at Clinton County, KY
6. Polly Hicks, b. 12 Dec 1835 at Wayne County, KY; d. 12 Apr 1927 at Mullin, Mills County, Texas
7. Thomas Hicks, b. 12 Dec 1835 at Wayne County, KY
8. John Riley Hicks, b. 23 Apr 1837 at Wayne County, KY; d. 25 Mar 1913 at Hopkins, TX. He married Elizabeth "Betty" Sloan (1840-1922) and they had the following children: John William Hicks (1861-1945); Nicia Jossie Hicks (1864-1918); Samuel H. Hicks (b. abt 1866); and Shelvy C. Hicks (b. abt 1872).
9. Leticia Emmeline Hicks, b. 25 Jun 1839 at Wayne County, KY
10. Sarah Matilda Hicks, b. 13 Oct 1841 at Wayne County, KY
William W. Hicks was born 28 Feb 1827 at Wayne County, Kentucky to John Hicks and Sarah Smith. William died 10 Dec 1897 at Wayne County. He married Abigail Littrell on 8 Sep 1847 at Wayne County, KY.
Abigail Littrell was born 29 Dec 1829 at Wayne County, KY to Ewing Littrell (1800 VA-1857 KY) and Jane Rowland (1801 VA - 1876 KY). She died 16 Apr 1916. William W. and Abigail (Littrell) Hicks had at least the following children:
1. John E. Hicks, b. 4 Feb 1848 at Wayne County, KY, d. ? at Port Arthur, Jefferson Co., TX. Abt 1866 he married Louisa Eliot Edwards. They had at least one child, Fannie Hicks.
2. Sarah M. Hicks, b. 11 Jul 1850 at Wayne County, KY, d. 28 Jul 1935 at Wayne County. On 15 Oct 1868 at Wayne County, KY, she maried William Henry Denney (1848-1938). They had at least the following children: Abby Isabel Denney (1869-1938); Dupee Denney (1871-1957); Juda Ann Denney (1873-1951); Bart Henry Denney (1875-1952); Jabus C. Denney (1877-1958); Leavy Jane Denney (1880-1883); John Lewis Denney (1882-1911); Ollie Denney (1884-1955); William Cooper Denney (1886-1975); Vada Denney (1888-1890); Porter Denney (1892-1916)
3. Emanuel S. Hicks, b. 27 Dec 1851 at Wayne County, KY and d. there on 26 Jun 1897. He married Nancy Caroline Stinson (1847-1912). They are both buried in the Taylors Grove Baptist Church Cemetery in Wayne County, KY.
4. Ewing Littrell HIcks, b. 4 Mar 1852 at Wayne County, KY and d. there on 4 Mar 1938. On 10 Aug 1876 at Wayne Co., KY, he married Nancy Jane Vickery (1855-1938). They had the following children: Sophrona Hicks (1875); William Denton Hicks (1877-1857); Elizabeth Jane Hicks (1879-1935); Sara J. Hicks (1879); Elbert C. Hicks (1882-1961); Ethel Hicks (1884); Osco (Oscar?) Hicks (1885-1978); Annie Hicks (1888); Elvas Omar Hicks (1895); Newell Hicks (?)
5. James M. Hicks (1855-1858)
6. Marshall H. Hicks, b. 8 Feb 1857 at Wayne County, KY and d. there on 28 Dec 1945. In 1879 he married Martha E. Vickery (1859-1907). They had the following children: Mary Elizabeth Hicks (1881-1905); Sarah Ann Hicks (1883-1935); Thomas Hicks (b. 1885); Ella Hicks (1888-1961)
7. Louisa Jane Hicks, b. 26 Dec 1858 at Wayne County, KY, d. 26 Jul 1902
8. William A. Hicks, b. 1860 at Wayne County, KY; may have died in Texas
9. Frank Walford "Colonel" Hicks (sometimes referred to as Fountain W. Hicks), b. 19 Aug 1863 at Wayne County, KY, married Lucy Ann Shearer (1869-1943) and he d. 14 Oct 1951. They had the following children: Eddie M. Hicks (1889); Joe L. Hicks (1891); Louisa "Lou" Hicks (b. 1897 - note she married Robert Ezra Kennedy and they were the parents of Bonnie Kennedy, who married James Rector, son of Christopher Wayne and Emma (Frost) Rector); Newell Hicks (1898); Abigail Florence Hicks (1899); Ellis M. Hicks (1903); Ivy L. Hicks (1906); Virginia R. Hicks (1910); Earl Hicks (1911)
10. Isaac Denton Hicks, b. 28 Aug 1866 at Wayne County, KY and d. there on 28 Aug 1945. He married Lulu Bertram. See below for more information about their family.
11. James D Hicks, b. 1867
12. Abraham Hicks, b. 22 Jan 1869 at Wayne County, KY, d. 10 Jun 1947 at New Castle, Henry Co., Indiana
13. Mary A. Hicks, b. 14 Oct 1870 at Wayne County, KY, d. 7 Jan 1958
Isaac Denton Hicks, b. 28 Aug 1866 at Wayne County, KY to William W. Hicks and Abigail Littrell. He died at on 28 Aug 1945. On 22 Dec 1895 he married Lulu Bertram.
Lulu Bertram was born 25 Dec 1872 at Wayne County, KY to John Bertram (1843-1921) and Sarah Caroline Hicks (1851-1923 - the daughter of Champion Hicks and Rebecca Shearer). Isaac and Lulu (Bertram) Hicks were probably second cousins (they both had the same great grandparents: Jacob and Leticia Hicks - see above). Lulu died 14 Feb 1953 - at Dayton, OH? They had at least the following children:
1. Fred E. Hicks, b. Nov 1896 at Wayne County, KY, d. 29 Jun 1945.
2. Vida A. Hicks, b. 13 Dec 1898 at Wayne County, KY, d. 6 Mar 1984. Abt 1921, she married Benton Edwards (1891-1974).
3. John W. Hicks, b. Feb 1900 at Wayne County, KY , d. 23 May 1981.
4. Everett Hicks, b. abt 1901 at Wayne County, KY, m. Fleta Edwards
5. Etta Hicks, b. abt 1903 at Wayne County, KY, d. in Indiana abt 1996. She married Randoph Ragan (b. abt 1904 KY).
6. Ora Belle Hicks, b. 20 Sep 1904 at Wayne County, KY, d. 16 Mar 1997 at Montgomery Co., OH. She married William F. Burnett on 8 Sep 1921 at Scott, Tennessee. William Burnett was born at Kentucky abt 1902 to G. W. and Elizabeth Burnett.
7. Jinks S. Hicks, b. abt 1906, d. 10 Nov 1988 at Oakwood, Montgomery, Ohio
8. Mary Hicks, b. abt 1908
9. Hubert Hicks, b. 1910 at Wayne County, KY , d. 12 Feb 1981
10. Rosa Mae Hicks, b. 1912 at Wayne County, KY , d. 19 Sep 1949 at Dayton, Montgomery, OH. She may have married Russel Wallace Hageman? (b. 16 Sep 1912 at Dayton, Montgomery, Ohio).
last updated June 3, 2013
please send corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org
return to Rector home page