Some of this information was taken from Ancestry and Descendents of the Nassau-Siegen Immigrants to Virginia 1714-1750, by B.C. Holtsclaw, published in 1964 by The Memorial Foundation of the Germanna Colonies in Virginia, Incorporated; and Germanna Record #4, published April 1963 also by the Germanna Foundation. (NOTE: This book can be order from the Germanna Foundation). More was found online, on public family trees. In some cases this information has been documented. In other cases it has not.
Johann Otterbach, born about1550 at Eiserfeld (Nassau-Siegen, Germany) , died prior to 1599. He married Demuth (last name unknown) about 1573 at Eiserfeld, Nassau-Siegen, Westfalen, Prussai. Demuth was born abt 1553 at Eiserfeld, and she died abt 1625 at Trupbach, Nassau-Siegen, Germany. Johann and Demut had at least two sons:
2. Johannes, b. 1590; d. 1624
Johannes Otterbach was born about 1590 at Eiserfeld, Nassau-Siegen, Germany, and he married Tilge (or Ottilia) Schneider between 1612 and 1615. Johannes was admitted to the Guild of Smelterers and Hammersmiths about 1606. B.C. Holtsclaw says he was a " "Huettenknecht" (i.e., a handy man around the forges)." Johannes died at Trupbach, Nassau-Siegen, Germany in 1624, before his youngest daughter, Demuth, born. Demuth was baptized on January 30, 1625 in Seigen, Germany.
Tilge Schneider was born abt 1600 at Trupbach to Hermann Schneider (1574-1637) and his wife (name unknown).
1. ?daughter, b. abt 1615
2. Anna, b. 1618, d. 1656, married Jost Schneider (1623-1718) of Trupbach
3. Hermann, born about 1620; d. abt 1658, married Elisabeth (last name unkown). They had at least one child, Jost Otterbach (1654-1681).
4. Johannes, b. 1622, married Anna Stuell in 1651, died 24 Apr 1696.
5. Demuth, born 30 Jan 1625 at Trupbach, died 13 Mar 1701 at Siegen, Germany, married Johannes Heite
Johannes (2) Otterbach was born 1622; in 1651 he married Anna Stuell, and died at Trupbach on April 24, 1696.
Anna Stuell was born to Jost and Ehla (Behr) Stuell in 1628. She died at Trupbach on February 23, 1698. Johannes and Anna Otterbach had at least the following children:
1. Anna Otterbach, b. 24 Mar 1652, d. 1747
2. Elsbeth Otterbach, b. 1653, m. John Marr (1665-1744), died 1748.
3. Gerlach Otterbach, b. 22 Jun 1655, d. abt 1750
4. Klara, b. 1657; d. 1752, married Johann Arnold abt 1677
5. Johannes, b. 1659; d. abt 1705?; in 1679 married Margaret Dornsieffer (1655-1709)
6. Johannes???, b. 1661
7. Johannes???, b. 1662
8. Hermann Johann, b. 1664; d. abt 1748; married Elisabeth Heimbach in 1685, d. in Virginia .
9. Henrich, b. 1669
Hermann (Hermann) Johann Otterbach was born in 1664. According to Mr. Holtsclaw, Hermann "was a "Fuhrmann" (carrier or carter), who transported goods and traded in them. They were the most important middle-men for the export of the iron products of Nassau-Siegen." He married Elisabeth Heimbach abt 1685 at Siegen, Germany. They were part of the group of Nassau-Siegen ironworkers who came to found the Germanna Colony in Virginia in 1714.
Elisabeth Heimbach was born in 1662, and she likely died abt 1706 in Siegen, Germany. She was the daughter of Phillip Heimbach (1634-1680) and his wife, Maria Catherina Fischbach (1640-1677).
Mr. Holtsclaw thinks that Hermann Otterbach and his wife Elisabeth, and his two sons died prior to the the Germanna settlers move to Germantown in about 1719, however, some public family trees have him dying in 1748.
1. Margreth (Anna Margarethe), b. abt 1686; d. abt 1725? ; in 1708 she m. Hans Jacob Holtzclaw (a 1714 Germanna settler, b. 1683; d. 1760, son of Hans Heinrich Holtzclaw (1647-1711) and Gertrud Solbach (1644-1683)).
2. Ellsbeth or Elizabeth Otterbach, b. 1687 or 1689 at Trupbach, Germany, abt 1714 she m. Peter Hitt (last named also spelled Heite, 1714 Germanna settler born abt 1683, died abt 1771 at Germantown, Virginia) they are parents of Mary Ann Hitt, who married Jacob Rector). This is my direct. Click on Peter Hitt's link for more information about their family.
3. Johann Phillip, b. 22 Mar 1692 at Siegen, d. 1718 Germantown, Fauquier Co., Virginia
4. Johannes, b. 6 May 1693, d. abt 1694
5. Johann Jacob, b. November 23, 1695; d. 1695
6. Ailsey (Elizabeth?) Cathrina, b. April 19, 1697, abt 1716 she m. "John" Johann Heinrich Kemper (b. 1692; d. 1758; he was also a 1714 Germanna settler, his parents were Johann Georg Kemper (1662-1731) and Agnes Kleb (1669-1703)). Elisabeth Cathrina died about 1746 at Germantown, Virginia.
7. Maria Cathrina, b. November 5, 1699, m. John Joseph Martin (1714 Germanna settler, born about 1669 at Siegen, Germany; d. abt 1758 at Germantown, VA; his parents were Hans Jacob Merten (1660-1693) and Anna Barbara Wurmbach (1667-1741). Maria Cathrina died about 1725 in Virginia?
8. ? Johannes, b. 15 Apr 1702, died in Virginia abt 1772.
9. Anna Catharina, born January 2, 1705, m. Harman Fishback (1714 Germanna settler, b. 1693 and died 1783) his parents were Phillip Fischbach (1661-1715) and Elizabeth Heimbach (1652-1683)), Anna Catharina died abt 1745 at Germantown, Fauquier Co., Virginia.
return to the top of the page
return to main site: Rector
This page was last updated on June 15, 2008
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids