This home page was created for descendents of Laura Huffaker and Daniel Webster Clay Rector. Most of the information was taken from The Rector's of Wayne County, Kentucky, by Clara Rector Barnes Smart, published in 1975 by Wayside Press, Virginia.
Generation 2: Christopher Huffaker and Mary Polly Lowe
Christopher Huffaker was born December 11, 1769 in Washington County, Virginia to Michael Huffaker and Catherine Kegele. Christopher married three times, and had a total of 22 children. First he married Elizabeth Smith in Washinton County, Virginia on 17 March 1796 . They had 9 children. Next he married my ancestor, Mary Polly Lowe, on June 13, 1816 at Wayne County, Kentucky, and they had 10 children. Last, he married Sina Milsaps in 1835, and they had 3 children together. Christopher died on May 11, 1845 at Wayne County, Kentucky. Christopher Huffaker and three of his brothers (Jacob, John, and Isaac) settled in Wayne County, Kentucky around 1797 or 1798. According to Mrs. Smart, all three of them secured land grants in the area. According to Mrs. Smart, Christopher's land was "at the head of Beaver Creek, near Cooper and near Monticello, Wayne County, Kentucky."
Mary Polly Lowe was Christopher's second wife. When they married, he was a 47 year old widower with 9 children, and she was only 20 years old. She was born on December 31, 1796 either in Wayne County, Kentucky or in Washington County, Virginia to Thomas Lowe and Frances (Fannie) Graham (b. 1775). Rumor has it that we're related to royalty (King George III of England) through Fannie Graham Lowe's maternal line. On page 249 of The Rectors of Wayne County, a Huffaker contributor states that "In 1760, a daughter of George III married a Scotchman named Graham. The couple emigrated to North Carolina, where they founded the town of Graham. Their daughter, Frances (Fannie), married Thomas Lowe. Mary (Polly) Lowe Huffaker was their daughter. This made Henry Clay Huffaker a great-great grandso n of King George III of England." Since King George III of England was born in 1738, it's fairly impossible for him to have had a daughter of marriagable age in 1760. But it sure makes a good story.... Mary Polly Lowe Huffaker died January 16, 1835 in Wayne County, Kentucky. Mrs. Smart says that she's buried in the Huffaker Cemetery, and that her gravestone still has a legible inscription.
Christopher Huffaker first married Elizabeth Smith on March 17, 1796 in Washington County, Virginia when he was 27 years old and she was 16. She was born December 3, 1779 to George and Rebecca Smith. She died January 24, 1816. They had 9 children:
1. Sarah Huffaker, born January 3, 1797, m. a cousin, George Huffaker
(1793-1839 - son of Michael Huffaker (1761-1840) and Mary Polly Douglas). Sarah died 7 Sep 1878.
2. Rebecca Cowood Huffaker, born December 29, 1798, m. Hial Millsaps (1802-1842). Rebecca died 20 August 1836 at Lincoln, Missouri.
3. George Smith Huffaker, born December 11, 1800, m. Catherine Lowe (1803-1852). George died 20 Dec 1873 at Clinton, Missouri.
4. Catherine Huffaker, born November 11, 1802, married Elisha Majors (1804-1878) on 29 July 1823 at Wayne County, Kentucky. Catherine died 27 Apr 1876 at Clay, Missouri.
5. Washington Huffaker, born April 1, 1805, married Sarah Shackelford (1803-1865). Washington died 14 Mar 1863 at Clay, Missouri.
6. Mary Huffaker, born June 27, 1807, married John Gross (1803-1856). Mary died 31 Mar 1857 at Clay, Missouri.
7. Walter Huffaker, born January 15, 1810, first married Minerva Bartee (1818-1862) and next married Elizabeth Crowley (1820-1889). Walter died 21 Nov 1889 at Clay, Missouri.
8. Anna Huffaker, born April 13, 1812 at Wayne County, Kentucky, married Erasmus Tarrants (1802-1909). Anna died abt 1856 in Missouri.
9. Elizabeth Huffaker, born January 6, 1816, Wayne County, Kentucky, married William Pinkney Koger (1816-1870). Elizabeth died at Cove, Oregon on 3 June 1892.
Next, he married Mary Polly Lowe when he was 47 years old and she was 20. Christopher Huffaker and Mary Polly Lowe had 10 children together. See the top of the page for information about Mary Polly Lowe:
10. Fannie Huffaker, born July 6, 1817 at Wayne County, Kentucky, on 31 Aug 1841 at Wayne County, she married Jonathan Smith Hurt (1822-1895 - son of James Hurt (1789-1870) and Ursula Burnett (1789-1870)). Fannie died in Wayne County, Kentucky on 11 Nov 1894. They had at least the following children: Clarinda Hurt (1853 KY-1924 TX); Catherine Hurt (b. abt 1856); Berry Hurt (b. abt 1858); Rosannah Hurt (b. abt 1860).
11. Thomas Huffaker, born September 23, 1818, married Mary Ann (Polly) Minerva Shearer (1817-1917). Thomas died in Wayne County, Kentucky on 22 Jan 1890.
12. Columbus Huffaker, born February 5, 1820 and died 24 Aug 1870 in Wayne County, Kentucky.
13. Marion Huffaker, born March 22, 1823 and died 20 Jan 1826 at Wayne County, Kentucky.
14. Barton William Stone Huffaker, born March 29, 1825, married Cassandra Shearer (b. 1824). Barton died at Monticello, Wayne County, Kentucky on 7 August 1899.
15. Susanna Huffaker, born June 9, 1827 and died 12 Mar 1838 at Wayne County, Kentucky.
16. Worcester Huffaker, born March 18, 1829, married Elizabeth Shearer (1842 - 1935). Worcester died 9 May 1859 in Kentucky.
18. Henry Clay Huffaker, born August 23, 1832, married Margaret Ann Shearer on 21 Oct 1855. Henry died 19 Jan 1917. Click on his link for more information about this family, this is a direct line for me.
19. Nancy Huffaker, born July 11, 1834, died 26 Aug 1834 at Wayne County.
Christopher Huffaker married his third wife, Sina Milsaps, on March 30, 1835 in Wayne County, Kentucky. At the time, he was 66 years old. Sina Milsaps was born about 1801 at North Carolina to Thomas Milsaps (1767-1856) and possibly Mary Harrison (b. 1760) or perhaps a second wife of Thomas'. Sina Mlisaps died November 27, 1872 at Wayne County, Kentucky. Christopher and Sina Huffaker had 3 children:
20. Michael Nelson Huffaker, born September 21, 1836, married
Martha Tuggle (1845-1920), d. 27 Dec 1904 at Wayne County, Kentucky.
21. Victoria Huffaker, born September 1, 1837, d. 5 Feb 1838 at Wayne County, Kentucky
22. Polly Gran Huffaker, born August 30, 1839, m. William Sloan, died 30 May 1907 at Cameron, Missouri.
return to the top of the page
This site was last updated on October 10, 2012
return to main site: Rector
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids