|A HISTORY OF TILBURY - THE TILBURY CHARITY
Taken from, called by, but NOT distributed in, Tilbury!
"John Stutteridge, by his will, dated the 18th of March, 1627, gave certain estates at West Tilbury and Horndon, in Essex, to his wife Elizabeth, for her life, and to her daughter Joan (a daughter by a former husband), after her decease, for her life; and then, after some legacies and bequests, made the following devise:-
Soon after the testator's death, his widow proved the will, and married one John Scudder; and her daughter Joan married one Henry Scudder.
The mother died in the lifetime of her daughter; and, upon her death, Henry Scudder, in right of his wife, took possession of the estate.
In the year 1632, the Corporation of Henley, by their then style and title of 'The Warden, Bridgemen, Burgesses, and Commonalty of the town of Henley-upon-Thames, in the county of Oxford,' ... filed a Bill in Chancery against Henry Scudder and his wife; and in Easter Term, 1633, a decree was made by [the] ... Lord Keeper of the Great Seal, that the Corporation:
Joan, the wife of Henry Scudder, died a few years after the passing of this decree, and the Corporation of Henley thereupon took possession of the estates ..."
The property takeny by the Corporation of Henley included, in 1858, the following:
In 1855 Henley Corporation sold a small part of this land to the Tilbury and Southend Railway Company.