|THE POST OFFICE AT ALDERNEY
John (Jean) Tilbury, Post Master
Alderney is one of the British Channel Islands situated near to the French coast. It is about 4 miles long and 2 miles wide. Its isolated position and small size have meant that communications over the centuries have been difficult.
In 1794 a post office was set up in the nearby larger island of Guernsey but this did not extend to Alderney. Eventually sustained public pressure resulted in the establishment, in 1848, of a sub-postoffice in the premises of John Tilbury who was a watchmaker in the High Street.
In 1877 the office moved to Victoria Street where it stayed until 1939. The 20 pence stamp issued 10th November 1998 shows the Post office as it was in Victoria Street.
In the second World war the Germans occupied the island and moved the inhabitants to other islands. Alderney was then used as a concentration camp.
The island is now a haven for yachtsmen and tourists.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids