Berry B. Bryant
b. circa 1843, d. after 1880
Last Edited=8 May 2004
Berry B. Bryant was born circa 1843 in South Carolina.1,2
Berry married Hannah M. Lucinda Ellen Millslagle, daughter of Samuel Millslagle and Joanna Glaize.1
She was known as Ellen or Ella.
Berry and Ellen had at least 3 children. These children are Hunter H., Blanche D. and Carson S..3
Based on the birthplaces of their children, Berry and Ellen moved around. Sometime between 1866 and 1871, they moved from Virginia to Illinois. According to Grace Kelso Garner "No Bryants are on the census of Hampshire County of 1870 so it is probable that they returned to Illinois before the taking of that census."1
Berry, age 37, and Ellen, age 39, were enumerated on the 1880 Federal Census in Precinct 6, Collin County, Texas. Also enumerated in this household were their children: Hunter (age 14), Blanche (age 13), and Carson (age 8). John Rutherford (age 14, might be a neighbor's son) was also enumerated with them.3
Berry worked as a farmer.3
Follow the link to see the census image.
Berry died sometime after 1880.4
- Children of Berry B. Bryant and Hannah M. Lucinda Ellen Millslagle:
- Hunter H. Bryant b. c 1865
Blanche D. Bryant b. c 1866
Carson S. Bryant b. c 1871
- [S3] Grace Kelso Garner, compiler, Earliest Settlers of Western Frederick - Eastern Hampshire Counties (n.p.: self, 1974), page 206, citing the 1880 Census of Collin County.
- [S313] Berry B. Bryant household, 1880 U.S. Census, Prrecinct 6, Collin County, Texas, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) #27, sheet 41 (254A), dwelling #338, family #343; National Archives micropublication T9, roll 1296, viewed on Ancestry.com 31 March 2004 (image 41 of 55). PDN: Bryant-TX-0001. Gives age as 37 and born in South Carolina.
- [S313] 1880 U.S. Census, Prrecinct 6, Collin County, Texas, ED #27, sheet 41 (254A), dwelling #338, family #343. PDN: Bryant-TX-0001.
- [S355] This is a working assumption of Carol Lea Millslagle-Macke.