Search billions of records on

William Goodall Young and Adelia Clark

William Goodall Young (1827-1894)

William G. Young was the eldest of ten children born to Lorenzo Dow Young and Persis Goodall. He was born 22 February 1827 at Canadaigua, Ontario, New York. William spent the first five years of his life in the state of New York. His father's family then moved to Kirtland, Ohio and to the state of Missouri as members of the Mormon Church. By the time William was sixteen years old, they were living in Nauvoo, Illinois.

At age nineteen, William married Adelia Clark in the Nauvoo Temple. Shortly after, the young couple was forced to flee from the persecution in Nauvoo. With many others, they made their way across Iowa to Winter Quarters near present-day Omaha.

William brought his family west in 1848, arriving in Salt Lake on September 21 with one of Brigham Young's companies. From April of 1854 to February of 1857, he served a mission to England. On 12 June 1858 he was ordained a high priest and set apart as bishop of the Grantsville Ward. He presided at the settlement from 1858 to 1864. St. Charles (now in Idaho) was first settled in 1864 and William G. Young was the first presiding Elder of the new colony. He served there until about 1867 after which time he returned to Salt Lake. He served as bishop of the Big Cottonwood Ward from 1874 to 1877.

For his livelihood, William engaged in farming and merchandising. Some sources referred to his occupation as both herb doctor and horticulturist. The Salt Lake Death Register states that William died 15 April 1894 at the age of 67 years 1 month and 23 days in Salt Lake City from overstrain of nervous system. At the time of his death he was residing at 9th East between 9th and 10th South. He was buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.

See history of Lorenzo Dow Young and Persis Goodall

Adelia Clark (1826-1906)

Adelia Clark was born 28 January 1826 in Livingston County, New York. She was the fifth of seven children born to Gardner Clark and Delecta Farrar. She grew up in Livingston County at Livonia and Geneseo with four sisters and a brother.

By the time she was fourteen, Adelia's family had migrated to Scott County, Illinois. It was there that they were introduced to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They soon moved to Nauvoo to join with other members of the church.

On 1 January 1846, with forty people in attendance, twenty-year old Adelia married William G. Young in the Nauvoo Temple. It was one of the first marriages performed there. Heber C. Kimball recorded the event in his journal: "Wm. G. Young and Adelia C. Clark were then married by President Brigham Young; his nephew, Brigham H. Young, and Sidenia O. Clark officiated as groomsman and bridesmaid. After asking them repeatedly if it was the understanding that they were to be married for time and for eternity, and receiving an answer in the affirmative, he then asked Hazen Kimball and his wife (the latter being a sister of the bride) if the bride's parents understood their intentions and approved of them; and received satisfactory answers. After the ceremony was over he pronounced various blessings upon them"

Due to the persecutions at Nauvoo, the young couple joined the exodus and traveled across Iowa to Winter Quarters. There on 28 November 1846, Adelia gave birth to her first child, a daughter named Dolinea Adelia. Amid harsh living conditions, the baby died the same day and was buried in the northwest corner of the old burialground. Five months later, Adelia's father also died. The next winter Adelia gave birth to another daughter on the other side of the river. Maria Adelia survived.

Within a few months after the birth of their second child, the Youngs were ready to continue their journey to the west. The family of three left Winter Quarters in June with the Brigham Young Company of 1848, taking Adelia's widowed mother with them. They arrived in the Salt Lake Valley 20 September 1848.

The family obtained property on Block 72, 2nd East and 2nd South, in Salt Lake City. During the next six years, Adelia gave birth to three sons in Salt Lake. In April of 1854 her husband left on a mission to England, leaving her with four young children. He was gone for three years. His return was bittersweet, for shortly thereafter he took a second wife.

In 1858, the extended family moved to Tooele County where William was the presiding elder at the Grantsville settlement. In the spring of 1864, they moved again to settle the Bear Lake Valley. When William was released as the first presiding Elder of St. Charles, he returned to Utah "leaving his wife Adelia and her children in St. Charles, as the boys were old enough to care for her. Adelia had her mother's loom, on which she wove material to clothe herself and children, also rugs." [History of Bear Lake Pioneers]

In later life, Adelia moved to Montpelier where she ran a lodging house. She died there on 8 June 1906 at the age of eighty. She was buried in the St. Charles, Idaho, Cemetery.

See history of Gardner Clark and Delecta Farrar

The Children

  1. Dolinea Adelia Young (1846-1846)
  2. Maria Adelia Young (1848-1920) md. George M. Pugmire
  3. See history of George McKay Pugmire and Maria Adelia Young

  4. William Wallace Young (1849-1918) md. Anna Laura Beers
  5. Joseph Gardner Young (1852-1933) md. Alive Viola Porter and 1 other
  6. Lorenzo Dow Young (1854-1929) md. Sarah Ann Sanderson
  7. Marinda Eliza Young (1858-1901) md. James McKay Pugmire and John Seamon

William Goodall Young Company

William Goodall Young, born February 21, 1827 at Canadaigua, New York, was the son of Lorenzo Dow and Persis Goodall Young, the eldest of ten children. He was baptized into the Latter-day Saint Church in 1837. On January 1, 1846 he married Adelia C. Clark who was born January 28, 1826 in New York to Gardner and Delecta Clark. William and Adelia had six children, the first two, girls, being born in Winter Quarters. One died in infancy. They came to the Valley of the Great Salt Lake in 1848 and here four more children were born to them.

In the spring of 1854, William was called on a mission for the Church, leaving Salt Lake City sometime in April by ox team for Boston, whence he sailed on the steamship Canada and arrived in England in June of that year. His labors in different conferences extended over a period of some three years...William sailed from England on the 14th of February, 1857 on the steamer Niagara for Boston. His cousin, James A. Little returned in the same company as William and was appointed Emigration Agent at Florence, Nebraska. William assisted him in every way he could in helping to fit out companies of emigrants.

William was placed in charge of twelve wagons which arrived at Florence, Nebraska June 8, 1857 and left on the 12th of the same month with 19 wagons, a small company, numbering besides women and children, twenty-two men, well armed. On Saturday, the 26th of September, Captain William G. Young's train arrived in Salt Lake City with the last of the season's immigration.

In this company was his Aunt Nancy Young Kent, eldest sister of his father and President Brigham Young, the latter having made arrangement for her to come to the valley in William's company. In his company were also two young women from England whom he appointed to care for his aged Aunt. Soon after their arrival in the Valley both young women became the wives of William G. Young. He and Martha Grainger were married on October 6, 1857. She bore him five children. He married Eliza Atkinson the 31st of January, 1838. No children were born to her.

The 12th of January 1858, William G. was ordained a High Priest and set apart as bishop of Grantsville Ward in Tooele Couty. Early in the spring of 1864 he was released and, with his brother Franklin, and others, moved to Bear Lake Valley. Here they built homes and harvested their crops.

After several years helping to settle and develop the Bear Lake country, William G. returned to Utah sometime between 1866 and 1868 and settled for a time in Enterprise, Morgan County. Later he located at South Cottonwood, Salt Lake County, where he served as bishop. In 1881, William G. moved to Flagstaff, Arizona, taking his family, and had charge of railroad construction work under the direction of his cousin, John W. Young. About 1882 they returned to Big Cottonwood, and then moved to Grantsville, Tooele County where he bought a home and engaged in the merchandising business. Later he came to Salt Lake City and engaged in the same line of work until within a few months of his death which occurred in Salt Lake City April 15, 1894.

[Source: Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, They Came in 1857, Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. pp.29-30]