Old Union Cemetery
Please visit Inscriptions in the Old Union Cemetery to see a list of burials.
The Old Union Cemetery of Stone Church is located in Upper Mt. Bethel twp., Northampton Co., Pennsylvania. The cemetery grounds are maintained by a board of directors representing the two churches to which this burial ground first belonged. These churches are Trinity United Church of Christ and the Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church. The cemetery is adjacent to Trinity United Church of Christ at 632 South Delaware Drive (Route 611)Stone Church, Pennsylvania 18343. Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church is across the street.
In the beginning the congregations of both churches, The German Evangelical Lutheran and the German Evangelical Reformed worshiped in the same building in the village of Stone Church (also known as Centerville). Some earlier records refer to The Old Union Cemetery as Christ Church Cemetery, because the congregations of both denominations were known as Christ Reformed and Christ Lutheran. The original church, a stone structure, was located in the middle of the now existing cemetery. The Stone Church (thus the name of the present day community) was removed when in 1832 a new brick building was erected and is occupied today by the Trinity UCC congregation. In 1910, Christ Evangelical Lutheran congregation built a new church located across the street from the cemetery.
There were at least 769 graves. Over the last 200 years many of those grave markers have been lost to time. The earliest burial in the cemetery is that of Anna Marie Goetthardt Correll, August 8, 1794. The last burial was Sarah Dildine in 1911. The cemetery is the resting place of twenty- six known Revolutionary War Soldiers; Ludwig Bartholomew, Abraham Eckert, Jacob Emerick, Phillip Emerick, John Flory, Joseph Fox, Frederick Frutchey, George Gross, John Hartzell, John Heil, Christian Hess, George Heller, Isaac Hilyardt,Peter Hilyardt, Simon Houck, Jacob Miller, John Miller, Valentine Miller, Valentine Phillips, John Ratzel, John Schoch, John Smith, Christian Snyder, Valentine Steiner, Peter Rundio, and Daniel Weidmen. Two who served in the War of 1812 buried here are Peter Reimer and Jacob Houck. Four Civil War veterans buried here are; Calvin S. Heller, Joseph J. Horn, Benjamin Kurtz and William H. Strauss.
Unfortunately, it can not be assumed that related persons are buried next to each other. When the old church was removed the then empty space in the middle of the cemetery was used for burials. Also at some point in time gravestones that had been removed from their proper gravesite were uprighted to the middle vacant area, "to make the cemetery look good." Therefore, while stones are erected they may not be in the actual place of burial.
An early transcription of the monuments in the cemetery was done by John Eyermann in June of 1899, in which only those monuments of persons who were born before 1780 were recorded. A later transcription was done by Wm. Atchley and Miss Katherine Atchley about 1909. Both of these records are available for review at the Easton Area Public Library Marx Room.
Please visit Inscriptions in the Old Union Cemetery to see a list of burials as compiled in the Atchley booklet.
Please visit these links to see some photos of graves in this cemetery.
1. Old Union Cemetery Photos - photos of the graves of Valentine Miller, Susanna Miller, Christophel Illick, Susanna Brodt Illick and John Houck.
2. Stones of Faith web site. There are 8 pages linked to this address.
3. Find A Grave web site. Search for these two names Christ Church Cemetery and Old Union Cemetery.
You may be interested in this partial list of early baptisms which are from the Church Record of the Lutheran and Reformed Congregations in Upper Mt. Bethel Township Northampton Co. 1774-1833, Copied by Dr. Wm. J. Hinke, Prof. of Auburn Theological Seminary, Auburn, New York, August - October, 1934.
Please see Northampton County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project for information regarding other cemeteries in the area.