Transcribed by Suezan James-Elliott, September, 2000
ADVENT is a parish 1.5 miles south from Camelford, having the river Camel on the West, in the Eastern division of the county, Lesnewth hundred, Camelford Union and county court district, rural deanery of Trigg Minor, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Exeter.
The church of St ADWEN has chancel, nave, south aisle and transept, and square tower with 5 bells: the church is now (1873) in the course of restoration.
The register dates from the year 1700. The living is a rectory, consolidated with LANTEGLOS, yearly value £750; is the gift of H.R.H. The Duke Of Cornwall, and held by the Rev. John James WILKINSON, M.A. of Queens College Oxford, J.P. and rural dean.
H.R.H. The Duke Of Cornwall is lord of the manor, the principal landowners are Co. GYRLLS and A. MARSHALL, Esq. The soil is rich loam; subsoil various. The chief crops are wheat oats and roots. The area is 4,059 acres; gross estimate rental, £1.944; rateable value, £1,808; the population in 1871 was 246.
Letters through CAMELFORD which is the nearest money order office.
St. AGNES pronounced by its inhabitants with the g silent, "St. Anns" (so that it may be distinguished from St. Agnes one of the Scilly isles) and formerly called Breanick, is a large parish and market town, bounded on the north by the sea. The parish is in the Western division of the county, hundred of Pydar, Truro Union and county court district, rural deanery of Pyder, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Exeter.
The town is 8 miles north-west from Truro, 6 north from Redruth and 267 from London.
There once existed a chapel at Chapel Porth, near to the sea side. The church of St. Agnes is a handsome building in the Decorates style, consisting of a chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, with tower, surmounted by a finely tapering spire, and containing six bells.
The Register dates from the year 1653.
The living is a vicarage, yearly value £300, with residence, is the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, and held by the Rev. Alexander Allan VAWDRAY, M.A. of St John's College Cambridge.
A school board has been recently formed here, and there is a Sunday school for boys and girls. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Bible Christians.
Nicholas KENT, of Mingoose, by his will, bearing date 1688, gave, for the term of 499 years, a dwelling house divided into four tenements and a garden, for poor widows of this parish.
In the year 1632, an attempt was made to form a harbour at Trevaunance (Now called Trevaunance Quay), and after repeated failures the effort was resumed in 1701 by the TONKIN family; their labour was so far successful that it remained nearly a century; some parts have become decayed, the work was again undertaken in the year 1794 by a company of gentlemen, by whom a pier of moorstone was erected, at a cost of £10,000; from this place a considerable trade is carried on with Ireland and Wales.
A pilchard fishery was established here, but it has not proved very profitable.
At Trevaunance, clay works are carried on, and there are several good mines in the parish. A weekly market is carried out on Thursdays, for the sale of all sorts of wares, and a fair of cattle is held annually on the 30th of April.
Here are a Mechanics Institute, Odd Fellows Lodge, and Tradesmans Club. On the 3rd February 1830, a fearful accident occurred in at the United Hills Mine, in this parish, by the bursting of the engine boiler; out of thirteen persons whom were on the premises at the time of the accident, nine were killed on the spot, or died shortly afterwards. The celebrated OPIE, the son of a carpenter, was born here; his genius for painting soon became perceptible to Dr WOLCOT (Peter PINDER), who was so highly gratified with his juvenile attainments in the arts, that he took him to London, where he much distinguished himself as an artist; he also possessed great literary ability, and was the author of the "Life Of REYNOLDS" published in Dr WOLCOT'S edition of Pilkingtons Dictionary, he afterwards published a letter in a daily paper, "The True Briton" entitled " An inquiry into the requisite Cultivation Of the Arts of Design in England" in this he proposed a distinct plan for the formation of a National Gallery, tending at once to exalt the arts of his county and immortalise its glories; he afterwards was elected professor of painting at The Royal Academy and died in the year 1807.
At St. Agnes is a high hill, called St Agnes Beacon, of singular geological character; it rises pyramidally nearly 600 feet above the level of the sea, having on its summit three burrows and commanding extensive views. BORLASE particularly describes the extraordinary stratification of the stupendous hill, as deserving the attention of the geologist. In a large entrenchment called the Gorre, a golden coin of Valenian was ploughed up. Off the rocks called the "Cow and Calf" or "Man and his Man" Trevsunance was formerly the residence and property of Thomas TONKIN, esq., the annotator on "Carews Survey of Cornwall" and author of the parochial history of the county. The rights of the manors of Tywarnhayle and Mithina are vested in Richard DAVEY esq., of Bochin, Helston: Elizabeth Marin WILLIAMS Carhayes Castle; Francis Gilbert ENYS of Enys Penryn; and John Gilbert CHILCOT, of Truro; and those of the manor of Goonlaze in the Duke of Buckingham and others. These are also the principal landowners. The parish comprises 8,354 acres, of which 60 are water; gross estimated rental, £10,596; rateable value, £8,657 and the population in 1871 was 6,164
BLACKWATER Is a village, partly in this parish and partly in that of Kenwyn, on the road between Redruth and St Columb. Here the four hundreds of Powder, Pydar, Penwith and Kerrier meet.
St. ALLEN, with the township of ZELAH, is a parish and a straggling village, 4 ¾ miles from Truro station of the West Cornwall railway, and 1½ from the turnpike road from Truro to Zelah, in the western division of the county, hundred, of Powder, Truro union and County Court District, rural deanary of Powder, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Exeter, and is situated on the river St. Allen.
The church of St. Allen is an ancient edifice chiefly in the perpendicular style: it consists of a chancel, nave, aisles, and porch, with a square tower having 3 bells, and surmounted with a minaret on the north-east corner, and contains and ancient monument to the MARTEN family, of Trefronick, dated 1626.
The register dates from the year 1680. The living is a rectory, endowed in 1314, yearly value £147, with residence and 118 acres of glebe land, in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and held by the Rev. George MORRIS, M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford.
The lay impropriator, Viscount FALMOUTH, receives £271 5s tithe-rent-charge. There are Sunday schools, those of the church held at St Allen, and the Methodist at Zelah.
A fair for cattle is held at Zelah in May; and St. Allen Feast is held on Rogration Sunday. The lord of the manor is the Bishop of Exeter, and the chief landowners are C.T.H. HAWKINS, Esq., of Trewithian, and Charles PRIDEAUX-BRUNE Esq., of Padstow.
The soil is loamy; the subsoil of a slaty nature. The crops are chiefly wheat, barley oats and turnips. The acreage is 3,501; rateable value, £3,175; and the population of this parish in 1871 was 774.
The township, of ZELAH is 1 ¾ miles north west from St. Allen. The Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels are situated here.
Letters through Truro, which is the nearest money order office.
ALTERNUN , Alternon or Altarnun, is a town-ship village, and very large parish, 8 miles south-west, from Launceston, and 9 East from Camelford, in the Eastern division of the county, Lesnewth hundred, Launceston Union and county court district, rural deanery of Trigg Major, Cornwall Archdeaconry, and Exeter diocese, situate on a branch of the river Inney.
The church of St Nun has chancel, nave, aisles and a very lofty tower with 5 bells: it has recently been beautifully restored, and has a very handsome oak roof. The register dates from the year 1688. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £330, with 113 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, and held by the Rev. Robert Henry TRIPP M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford. The impropriate rent-charge is commuted at £270. of which £13 14s per annum is paid to the rector of the neighbouring parish of Minster. Here is a National school for boys and girls. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians Fairs for cattle are held at Five Lanes, one on the Monday week after June 24th, and on the last Thursday in October. The charities amount to £6 yearly. The manorial rights are held by Col. CORYTON of Pentillie Castle and five others.
The principal landowners are Francis RODD esq., messrs. VINCENST and BEDFORD, col. ARCHER, and William Day HANSON, esq. the soil, situated at the junction of the granite, is a schist. The chief crops are Potato, wheat and turnips. The acreage is 15,014 gross estimated rental, £6,940; rateable value, £6,240; the population in 1871 was 1,200.
FIVE LANES includes Hurden, Trecollas, Treween, Trekennick, Trwzibbet, Trelawney, Trehant, Tregenna, Trewint, Tregoon, Tredawle, Treveage, Tregunnan, Trecorner, Trenilk, Trebullen, Trerithick, Treveague, Rose Mine, South and West Carne, Cargelly, Bowithick, Rosemain, Occasinney, and Polgray are places here. TREGUNE CONSOLS is a copper and tin mine; Wheal Vincent is a tin mine.
Letters through Launceston, by cross post, received at 12 noon; dispatched at 2 p.m. the nearest money order offices are at Launceston and Camelford.
ST ANTHONY-IN-MENEAGE is a parish, 11 miles east from Helston, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, Helston union and county court district, rural deanery of Kerrier, Cornwall archdeaconry, Exeter diocese, situated on Gillan Creek.
The Church of St Anthony is an ancient building, has chancel, nave, aisles and tower with 3 bells. The register dates from the year 1605. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value£140, with a small glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev.Peter Southmead GLUBB, B.D. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The Rev. Richard POLWHELE, of Polwhele, the historian of Cornwall, was vicar of this parish and of Manaccan.
The trustees of the late H.M. GRYLLS, and Colonel TREMAYNE, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The acreage is 1,840, of which 330 is water; gross estimated rental, £1,915; rateable value, £1,702; and the population in 1871 was 239.
Letters through Helston, St Keverne is the nearest money order office.
ST-AUSTELL is a parish, market and union town, a polling place for the Eastern division of the county, the head of a county court district, and a station on the Cornwall Railway, 40 miles from Penzance, 14 from Truro, 40 from Plymouth, 11 from Bodmin, 93 from Exeter, 286¾ from London, and 2 west from the port of Charlestown, in the Eastern division of the county, western division of the hundred of Powder, rural deanery of Powder, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Exeter.
The town situate on the southern slope of a hill, is of comparatively modern date, and owes its prosperous condition to the numerous tin and copper mines and china clay works in the surrounding district. The streets, though still narrow and irregular have been much improved through the modernising of the old shops, and the erection of new buildings.
The church of the Holy Trinity, in the centre of the town, is an admirable specimen of the style of the fifteenth century though the chancel is a century older. It consists of Chancel, Nave, Aisles, south porch with parvis, and tower 96 feet high, richly ornamented with niches, containing statues of the Apostles, with Gothic tracery, and clock and peal of eight bells. On the walls of the south side are sculptured emblems of the Crucifixion; the eastern window is of stained glass; the tower and the greater part of the church are built of Pentewan Stone. When the church was restored a new open timber roof was erected over the chancel; the whole was re-seated with open benches, and the organ re-fitted at a total cost of £2,300, raised by subscription: an alabaster reredos was added in 1872: the seats are entirely free and unappropriated.
A remarkable feature about the church is that the nave, chancel and tower are not built in a straight line; the chancel end inclines towards the North, and the tower towards the south. The register dates from the year 1564. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £500, with residence, and 2 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Crown, and held by the Rev. Fortescue TODD M.A. of Jesus College Cambridge.
There are places of worship in the town for Wesleyans, Methodists, Congregationalists, Baptists, United Methodists, Primitive Methodists, Bible Christians, and Society of Friends. The Wesleyan Methodist chapel is a large and substantial building on the Bodmin Road.
Town schools have been erected by the School Board, and occupy a site three quarters of an acre in extent, adjoining the western hill: the buildings comprise a boys school 60ft by 20ft; girls school 40ft 6" x 20ft; infants school, 60ft by 20ft board room and class rooms, 20ft square: the internal height throughout is 14ft 6" from the floor to the springing of the roofs, the latter being open timbered and covered with Delabole slate: the walls are turret rising above the main entrance doors contains a bell; the buildings are calculated to accommodate 500 children. The architect was Mr S. TREVAIL of Carne, Par Station.
The union Workhouse, built in 1839, intended to accommodate 300 inmates, is a good building in the Elizabethan style, overlooking the town on the north side; the architects were SCOTT and MOFFATT of London. The union comprises the following parishes: St. Austell, St-Blazey, Creed, St Dennis, St Ewe, Fowey, Golant, Gorran, Grampound, Holmbush, Mevagissey, St Mewan, St Michael Carhayes, Mount Charles, Molinnis, Par, Porthpean, Pentewan, Rescorla, Roche, St Stephens, Trenarren, Tregrehan, Trethurgy, Tregorrick, Tregonissey, Tywardreath and Wrestling Green.
The local Government Act was adopted in 1864 : the board consists of 15 members.
The Assembly rooms, Truro Road, are well adapted for holding public meetings, balls and concerts: the building contains a large room, measuring 1,5000 superficial feet, with ante-rooms and private entrance.
The Town Hall is an extensive room capable of containing upwards of 1,000 persons. and is attached to and above a portion of the Market.
The Market house, erected in 1844, is one of the largest in the county, and well arranged as a corn, butchers, poultry, vegetable, fish and general dealers market; it is well supplied with very excellent meat and all kinds of Provisions. The Market day is Friday, a market is also held on Saturday afternoon, which occasionally (such as on the pay days of mines in the vicinity) is very numerously attended.
Cattle fairs are held on the 5th, April, 31st May, 20th July, 19th October and 30th November.
Science and art classes were formed in 1869; they are held at the Central schools, and conducted by Mr E.G. DYKE; the subjects taught are animal physiology, chemistry, mineralogy, and geology, with the various styles of drawing.
A Horticultural Society is established in the town, and exhibition takes place annually about the beginning of August, in the Market house; on this occasion many prices are given.
There are two reading rooms, supported by subscription.
The principal trade consists in the large china clay and china stone works and mines in the parish, the products of which are shipped at Charlestown and Pentewan; with the latter there is communication by tramway. Many thousand tons of china clay and china stone are sent annually to the potteries, to the north of England and Scotland, and is exported to all parts of Europe, to America, to India and Russia, for making earthenware, bleaching, and other purposes; there is no locality at present known which produces china clay and stone of such excellent quality and in such abundance, and the supply appears almost inexhaustible.
A great portion of the labouring population of St-Austell men, women, and children as young as ten years of age, are employed in manufacturing and saving clay. Another source of wealth and employment are the extensive mines in the neighbourhood; these produce tin, copper, lead and silver; there are also some very productive iron mines, besides which there are some valuable tin stream works in the parish. In some of these gold in small particles has been found, and it is said that in a work between the town and Pentewan, on the south side, topaz and other precious stones have been obtained.
Here is Carclaze mine or works, about 2 miles north of the town, at an altitude of 665 feet. from the summit of this rising ground the mine is sunk to the depth of 150 feet, open, somewhat in the shape of an enormous bowl, the surface of which measures upwards of 12 acres, its circumference more than a mile: it is supposed to have been in working more than 400 years, and until 1851 for tin exclusively, but is now worked for china clay, of which an immense quantity is washed from the decomposed, granite which forms its strata.
At a depth of about 30 feet bones of different kinds have been dug out, principally of the deer tribe, one pair of antlers, with a portion of skull attached, measured from one extremity to the other 7 feet.
There are two foundries in the town; also a steam brewery, erected in 1869 by Mr W. HICKS; it is and extensive building, chiefly of granite, and fitted with all the modern appliances suitable for carrying on a large business.
The principal hotels are the White Hart, Queens Head and the Globe. The town is well supplied with gas and water.
At Higher Blower House, formerly part of Menacuddle Wood, and about half a mile north of the town, is to be seen an ancient Baptistery or Well chapel, close to which it is well known a chapel formerly stood. On the extreme north and north-west boundaries of the parish, about a mile distant from each other, and on the highest land in the parish, are the two large stone barrows, called Cock's Barrow and Hens Barrow, from the top of which on a clear day can be distinctly seen all the limits of the County of Cornwall.
In the suburbs are several very handsome villa residences and gentlemen's seats:- Penrice, the residence of Sir C.B. GRAVES-SAWLE. J.P.; Duporth, of George FREETH esq., Trenarran, of Thomas HEXT J.P. ; Moor Cottage of Edward COODE esq., Pond-dhu, of Thomas COODE esq., Trewhiddle, of Daniel Henry SHILSON esq., and Polcarne of John COODE esq.
The principal landowners are the Earl of Mount Edgecumbe, Sir C.B. GRACES-SAWLE J.P. Bart, Major CARLYON, John TREMAYNE esq., Rev George LAMB, and Edward COODE esq. The gross estimated rental is £41,462; rateable value £35,994; and the population of the town in 1861 was 3,825 and of the parish 11,823. in 1871 town 3,803; parish 11,793.
This parish is very extensive, occupying an area of 11,450 acres, including the ecclesiastical parishes of Treverbyn and Charlestown, formed in 1846 out of portions of the east (Charlestown) and north (Treverbyn) of St Austell, both of which will be found under separate headings.
MOUNT CHARLES is a village, 1 mile east from St-Austell on the road to Charlestown. A very prominent object here is the Elementary Board School: the building (Intentionally plain) contains separate rooms for boys and girls. With class rooms for each, and has accommodation for 375 children: the total cost, including fittings was £945: architect Mr S. TREVAIL of Carne, Par Station.
The schools were formerly opened on 2/12/1872, by Sir C.B. GRAVES-SAWLE bart., High Sheriff of the county and chairman on the school board. The United Methodists and Methodists have chapels here.
HOLMBUSH is a mining village, is distant about 1½ miles east from St. Austell on the road to St. Blazey, and close to the Charlestown United Tin and Copper Mines. Letters through Par Station. St-Austell is the nearest money office.
ST BLAZEY is a parish and market town, situated on the north of St. Blazey (or Par) Bay, distant from Par station about ½ mile. 4 Miles North east from St-Austell, and 8 south from Bodmin; in the eastern division of the county, eastern division of the hundred of Powder. St-Austell Union and county court district, rural deanery of Powder, Cornwalls archdeaconry, and diocese of Exeter.
The church (thoroughly repaired in 1839, under the direction of Scott and Moffatt) is substantially built of granite, in the perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, with square tower and 3 bells: it is named in honour of St Blaize, the patron saint of Woolcombers, whose effigy in painted glass, preserved from the former church, is still in the chancel window, and whose feast is kept on Candlemas Day, February 3rd: there are a good monument and flue stained glass window to the memory of the CARLYONS of Tregrehan; also a monument to Henry SCOBELL Esq., and Ann his wife, of Roselyon, in this parish, the first treasurer and paymaster of the farm tin to Queen Anne.
The register dates from the year 1690. The living is a vicarage. yearly value of £120 in the gift of Major T.T.S. CARLYON, of Tregrehan, and held by Rev. Joseph PENISTAN, M.A. of St Johns College Cambridge. A large portion of the new ecclesiastical parish of par has been taken out of this parish. There is a school for boys and girls, under the control of the school board. There are meeting houses for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Association Methodists, and Bible Christians.
The foundry of Messrs WEST and Sons is an old established and extensive concern, and gives employment to a large number of hands. Tregrehan is the seat of Major T.T.S. CARLYON. The principal landowners are Major CARLYON and The TRETFRYS estate trusts. Fairs are held here on Feb 3rd and July 4th. The acreage is 1,707, gross estimated rental, £7,990; rateable value, £6,.660; and the population in 1861 was 4,175 and in 1871 was 3,150.
Letters arrive from Par station, at 6.55 a.m .and 6.50 p.m.; dispatched at 5.10 a.m. and 5.50 p.m. week days only; on Sunday the telegraph office is open from 8-10 a.m.
BODMIN is a parliamentary and municipal borough, market, and union town, head of a county court district, township and parish, the capital of Cornwall, and is in the hundred of Trigg, rural deanery of Trigg Minor, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Exeter. The town in pleasantly situated in a valley near the centre of the county, 32 miles from Plymouth, on the road to Falmouth, 34 from the latter town, and 234 from London.
It was a corporate town at a very early period, and is mentioned as a borough as early as the reign of Richard the first (1190).
The corporation appointed under the Municipal Act consists of a mayor, four alderman, and twelve councillors. It is a seat of election, and a polling place for the Eastern Division of the county, and formerly sent two members to Parliament, but by the Representation of the People act, 1867, it now returns only one.
The Parliamentary borough comprises the parishes of Bodmin, Helland, Lanhydrock and Lanivet.
The town is well paved and lighted with gas, and has a constant supply of water at high pressure; extensive drainage works are now in course of construction. The nearest station on the Cornwall railway, in connection with London and the West of England, is at Bodmin Road, 3½ miles distant; there is also a short railway between Bodmin and Wadebridge, which belongs to the London and South Western Company.
The church of St. Petrock was rebuilt, according to an inscription on the wall - plate of the south aisle, in 1472: it consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, with groined roof - over which are parvise chambers, with three saints niches in front: on the north side is an embattled tower, containing 8 bells and a clock; it was originally surmounted by a spire 150 feet total height, which was destroyed by lightning, December 9th 1699: the pulpit and reading-desk and several of the seats are beautifully carved: in the South-west corner, near the south porch, is a very fine Norman Font, and there is a curious pillar piscina, once used as an alms-box; on the walls are some tablets: there are stained glass windows in memory of the Rev. J. WALLIS, the late vicar, Mr and Mrs WATKIN, Mr GLAMANKAND and Mr W.R. HICKS; some portions of the church are in a dilapidated state, but a large amount has been subscribed towards the restoration which is intended to be carried out. The register dates from the year 1558. the living is a vicarage, yearly value £392, in the gift of Captain Gustavus BASSET, and held by the Rev. Charles John DICKINSON B.A., of Trinity College Dublin.
In the churchyard are the ruins of the ancient chapel of St Thomas, nearly covered with ivy, its roof is dilapidated: it is a very beautiful building of the fourteenth century, and has stone sedillia and a piscina at the south of the altar: beneath the floor is a crypt with a stone vaulted roof. Carved stone fragments of the prior and its church are found on the opposite side of the road: the Grey Friary stood at Mount Folly, and vestiges of other ancient ecclesiastical buildings also remain in and around the town.
St Leonard's chapel of ease, at the west end of the town, has recently been opened for divine service.
The National Schools in New Road, Bore Street, were erected in 1864 by public subscription, assisted by a grant from the Education Commissioners. The Wesleyans have a well attended school in Lower bore Street, and Board schools have been opened for boys and girls in Rhind Street and Honey Street.
There are chapels for Roman Catholics, Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, Wesleyan Methodist Association, Wesleyan Methodists, and Bible Christians.
The County Hall is a handsome and commodious building, situate on Mount Folly, in which the assizes and quarter sessions and county courts are held.
The registry of the archdeaconry of Cornwall is in Market Street.
The county court district comprises the following places, viz: Bodmin, St Winnow, Lanlivery, Luxulyan, Lanivet, Egloshayle, St Minver, St Mabyn, Blisland, Cardynham, Helland, Lanhydrock, Withiel, Warleggan, Temple, and part of the town of Wadebridge.
Berry Tower is all that now remains of an ancient chapel, built A.D. 1501, and dedicated to the Holy Cross: the land surrounding it has been enclosed and formed into a cemetery.
The Union House is situated near the top of Rhind Street. The Guardians meet there every other Saturday. The union had a population in 1871 of 19,765 and comprised Blisland, Bodmin borough and parish, Cardynham, Egloshayle, Endellion, helland, St Kew, Lanhydrock, Lanivet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulyan, St Mabyn, St Minver Highlands, St Minver Low Lands, Temple, St Tudy, Warleggan, St Winnow, and Withiel. Returning altogether 37elected guardians.
The County Lunatic Asylum is about a mile from the church, west of the town: it consists of five principal blocks of buildings; the first was erected in 1820, the second in 1842, the third in 1848, fourth in 1867, and fifth in 1873; four are used for pauper and one for private patients, giving accommodation for a total of more than 600: the committee of visitors consisting of 10 county magistrates and 5 subscribers meets on the last Monday in each month. Adjoining the Lunatic Asylum is the handsome little chapel belonging to that establishment: it comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle and transept, vestry, bell turret, south porch and a crypt.
SANDOES Royal Hotel is a large building, situated in the centre of the town, and fitted with every convenience: the stabling and coach houses from three sides of a large yard.
The Cornwall Militia stores occupy a conspicuous position on the Lostwithiel road: there is an enclosed drill ground to which some adjoining fields are to be added, the site having been selected for the brigade depot of Cornwall.
The County Gaol, about half a mile from the town, was rebuilt about 1855-58 on the most improved system: it contains cells for 250 prisoners.
The County Police Station, a handsome building nearly opposite to the Priory, was erected about 1867, from the designs of Mr GOODYEAR.
The Market House in Fore Street was erected in 1840, for meat, poultry, and butter. The market is held here every Saturday. Fairs are held on January 25th, April 11th, June 2nd and 3rd and December 6th for cattle and horses. A cattle market is held the first Monday of every month, except those in which fairs are held.
The charities amount to £40 yearly, the principal being Chamonds or the Dunmere charity of 7A or 25p. and £317 consols, producing £32.16s annually which is distributed in clothing.
The remains of a Roman Camp were discovered about 1810, 2 miles west from the town, at Tregeare.
A handsome monument was erected in 1854, in memory of Lieut.- General Sir Walter Raleigh GILBERT, of the Bengal Army, on the Beacon, a high point, about ¼ of a mile south of the town.
Bodmin was for a long time the residence of the eminent mechanic Lawrence Holker POTTS M.D., who here invented the hydraulic pile-driving apparatus, one of the most important of engineering procedures.
The outlying Hamlets are Nanstallon and St Lawrence, the latter noted for its cattle fairs, the largest and best attended in the county: October 29th for sheep, and October 30th for bullocks; also one for sheep and bullocks, August 21st.
The area of the municipal borough is 2,785, and of the entire parish 6,191 acres; gross estimated rental of the borough, £12,547; rateable value, £10,541; and of the parish, £3,182 and £2,685 respectively; the population of the municipal borough in 1871 was 4,672, and of the parliamentary borough 6,758.