St Breward is a village and large parish, 7 miles north from Bodmin station and 10 north-by-west from the Bodmin Road station on the Great Western railway and 5 south from Camelford, in the North Eastern division of Trigg, Camelford union and county court district, rural deanery of Trigg Minor, archdeaconry of Bodmin and diocese of Truro.
There is a terminal station at Wenford bridge in this parish of a branch of the London and South Western railway from Wadebridge, but for goods and minerals only; this branch was opened in 1834 and transferred to its present owners in 1845.The parish is bounded on the west and north by the river Camel and its tributary the Alan, an on the south-east by the Delank, another tributary. The scenery here is very fine, and the river Camel is noted for its salmon and trout fishing.
The church of St Breward, as it now stands, was probably built by William Briwere or Bruere, Bishop of Exeter (1224-45), who added the 13th century work to the then existing Norman church; it is a building of stone, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, with some Norman portions, consisting of chancel with north chapel, nave of four bays, with north transept and aisle, south aisle, extending the whole length of the nave and chancel, south aisle, extending the whole length of the nave and chancel, south porch and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles, containing 6 bells, 5 of which were re-cast by F.Pennington, in a small garden east of the church, in 1758 : the north arcade is Norman and has short cylindrical columns with fluted caps, on square bases; the font, also Norman, has a singular basin, diminishing from a square base to a circular form at the top; over the south door are the royal arms of William III and the inscription "1700 W.R."; there are some good bench ends, carved with shields of arms and emblems of the "passion" : on a low altar tomb in the south aisle are kneeling effigies in relief of a man and his wife, and a mutilated inscription to Christopher Rogers, gent. May 15,1604; in the chancel is a tablet, erected in 1609 by John Adams, to his father Lewis Adams, 36 years vicar here, August 23,1607; it has kneeling effigies in relief of the vicar and his wife: in the south aisle is a large monument of slate with inscription and arms to William Billing, of Lanke, gent. ob.1654, and another to Nicholas Hurrough,gent.1654: the church was thoroughly restored in 1864,under the direction of Mr .J.P. St. Aubyn, architect, and has 200 sittings. Photographs of the Church
A small portion of the glebe given by the vicar, with the consent of the Dean and Chapter, was added to the churchyard in 1887, and consecrated by the Bishop of Truro,the cost of preparing the ground being defrayed by the parishioners; in the newly incorporated land there stands a fine example of an ancient cross. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent charge 220 (pounds), net yearly value 238 (pounds), including 70 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gifts of the Dean and Chapter of Truro, and held since 1887 by the Rev. Richard Henry Boles, of St.Johns College, Oxford. There is a mission chapel at Penpont. There is a Free Methodist chapel at Lower Lank and a Bible Christian chapel at Limehead.
Fairs are held on the first Thursday after June 24, and the Thursday nearest September 25. The highest eminences in the county, Brown Willy 1,380 feet and Rough Tor, locally pronounced "Rowtor", 1,296 feet above the level of the sea, are in this parish, which is chiefly situated on a granite formation; both these hills are crowned with rocks and surrounded by extensive moors, relieved in places by patches of cultivated land; on the easternmost peak of Rough Tor stood the chapel of St. Michael, the foundations of which may yet be traced: the stone arch of the doorway, removed in 1836,is now the entrance of the Britannia inn. between Camelford and Alternum. On Garrah, a tor near, are numerous remains of prehistoric antiquities, and in the immediate locality, square and circular enclosures of granite and earth, kistvaens and a barrow; several ancient roads, now difficult to trace, intersect the parish. The circular head of an ancient cross is built into the wall of a house at Great Lanke. Middle moor Cross, a shaft with rounded head, over 6 feet high and 9 inches thick, stands by the road from Warlock to Rough or; there are also two bases of crosses in the parish. At Lower Lanke are several interesting houses of the Tudor period.
The celebrated Eddy stone granite quarries are here. At Chapel, on the western side of the parish, and in a sequestered valley, is an ancient well; the structure is dilapidated, but the arched entrance remains, and there are vestiges near of ecclesiastical buildings,possibley part of the destroyed chapel of St. James. Sir William Wallace Roderic Onslow bart D.L.J.P. of Hengar, St Tudy, is lord of the manor.
The principal landowners are Lord Robartes, John Bevill, Kortescue J.P. of Boconnoc, William Henry Pole-Carew esq. D.L.J.P. of Anthony, George Collins esq of Plymouth,William Miller esq. and J.R.Morshead Glencross of Lavethan. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 9,237 acres; rateable value, 2,762 (pounds); the population in 1891 was 779.
Keybridge, 2 1/2 miles south, situated on the river DeLank;
Higher Lanke, 1 1/2 south ;
Lower Lanke, 2 south
Penpont, 2 1/4 south
Penquite, 1 south and Swallock, 1 north-east, are hamlets
Parish Clerk - Albert Harris
Post & M.O.O. S.B & Annuity & Insurance Office - Charles Henry Hawken,sub-postmaster. Letters are receivd through Bodmin, arrive at 10.20am ; dispatched at 3.5 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Camelford. but it is expected there will be a telegraph office here by the end of the year.
National School (mixed), built in 1852,for 130 children; average attendance, 92; Charles Davy, master
Billing Miss, Penpont
Boles Rev. Richard Henry, Vicarage
Hawken Miss, Rose cottage
Miller William, Deaconstowe
Parsons Mrs., Harley cottage
Tom Nicholas, Higher Lanke
Bartlett Francis, farmer, Penrose
Batten Phillip, farmer, Casehill
Bell James Heland, farmer, Keybridge
Best Richd. & Thos, farmers, Lanke ho
Broad Edward, Old Inn, Churchtown
Broad Thomas, farmer, Palmers
Brown Willy Tin Co.Limited (George R.Bellamy,manager)
Campbell Archiblad, Wenford inn
Chapman Edwd. blacksmith, Limb head
Cole Jonathan, farmer, Candra
Colonel John H., farmer, East Rose
Eddystone Granite Quarries Limited (E.M.Bannerman, manager)
Elford Philip, farmer, Hamatathy
Elford Robert, farmer, Chaple
Ford John (Mrs), farmer, Swallock
Green George, farmer, Whitehead
Harris William, farmer, Bradford
Hawken Benjamin, farmer, Lower Lanke
Hawken Henry, farmer, Stanon
Hawken Joseph, carpenter, Limbhead
Hosken Archelaus, farmer
Hosken Nehemiah Wm. farmer, Newton
Hosken Thomas, farmer, Irish
Hosken Thomas, shoe maker
Hosken William, farmer, Middle Candra
Inch Frank, farmer, Heneward
Jasper Richard, farm bailiff to John Evelyn esq. vernicar
Masters William, farmer, West Rose
Miller William, yeoman ,Deaconstowe
Nankivel Richard, stone mason
Nankivel William, farmer, Shallow bridge
North Cornwall Hounds (J. Campbell esq. master)
Pethick Wm Hy. farmer, Hantergantick
Pett Edward Geo. carpenter, Keybridge
Philp John, farmer, Bolatherick
Polkinghorne Benjamin, Glen-View temperance hotel ; situated in one of the most healthy & picturesque parts of Cornwall, families & tourists will find every accommodation
Roberts Michael, farmer, Church Town
Rowland Joseph, farmer, Ivy
Runnalls Thomas, farmer, Fendavey
Runnals Sl. frmr. & miller (water), Comb
Spare & Hawken, drapers & grocers
Spare Zachariah, shopkeeper
Stephens Joseph, farmer, Swallock
Symons John, farmer, Lamphill
Wills James, farmer, Camperdown.