Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Kelly's Directory   

1897

 

      ST. Breward is a village and large parish, 7 miles north from Bodmin station and 10 north-by-west from the Bodmin Road station on the Great Western railway and 5 south from Camelford, in the North Eastern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Trigg, Camelford union and county court district, rural deanery of Trigg Minor, archdeaconry of Bodmin and diocese of Truro. There is a terminal station at Wenford bridge in this parish of a branch of the London and South Western railway from Wadebridge, but for goods and minerals only; this branch was opened in 1834 and transferred to its present owners in 1845. The parish is bounded on the west and north by the river Camel and its tributary the Alan, and on the south-east by the Delank, another tributary. The scenery here is very fine, and the river Camel is noted for its salmon and trout fishing. talks about church covered on  the page about the Church)

      A small portion of the glebe given by the vicar, with the consent of the Dean and chapter, was added to the churchyard in 1887 and consecrated by the Bishop of Truro, the cost of preparing the ground being defrayed by the parishioner; in the newly incorporated land there stands a fine example of an ancient cross. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 208 pounds, including 70 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and chapter of Truro, and held since 1897 by the Rev. Thomas Taylor M.A. of St. Catharine’s College, Cambridge.

     There is a mission chapel at Penpont. There is a Free Methodist chapel at Lower Lanke and a Bible Christian chapel at Limehead. Fairs are held on the first Thursday after June 24, and the Thursday nearest September 25. The highest eminences in the county, Brown Willy 1,380 feet and Rough Tor, locally pronounced “Rowtor”, 1,296 feet above the level of the sea, are in this parish, which is chiefly situated on a granite formation; both these hills are crowned with rocks and surrounded by extensive moors, relieved in places by patches of cultivated land; on the easternmost peak of Rough Tor stood the chapel of St. Michael, the foundations of which may yet be traced; the stone arch of the doorway, removed in 1836, is now the entrance of the Britannia inn, between Camelford and Alternon. On Garrah, a tor near, are numerous remains of pre-historic antiquities, and in the immediate locality, square and circular enclosures of granite and earth, kistvaens and a barrow; several ancient roads, now difficult to trace, intersect the parish. The circular head of an ancient cross, formerly built into the wall of Lank house, now stands in the grounds. At the same place is another fine example of a granite cross, brought from a hedgeside in Lanivet; it is over 7 feet in height, and originally stood on a base. Middlemoor Cross, a shaft with rounded head, over 6 feet high and 9 inches thick, stands by the road from Swallock to Roughtor; there are also two bases of crosses in the parish.

    At Lower Lanke are several interesting houses of the Tudor period. The celebrated Eddystone, or De Lank, granite quarries are here. At Chapel, on the western side of the parish, and in a sequestered valley, is an ancient well; the structure is dilapidated, but the arched entrance remains, and there are vestiges near of ecclesiastical buildings, possibly part of the destroyed chapel of St. James. Sir William Wallace Rhoderic Onslow bart. Of Hengar, St Tudy, is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Lord Robartes, John Bevill Fortesene, of Boconnoc, William Henry Pole-Carew esq. Of Anthony, George Colins esq. Of Plymouth, William Miller esq. And J. R. Morshead Glencross, of Lavethan. The soil is various; subsoil, granite. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 9,237 acres; rateable value, 2,619 pounds; the population in 1891 was 779.

 

KEYBRIDGE, 2 ½ miles south, situated on the river Delank; HIGHER LANKE, 1 ½ south; LOWER LANKE, 2 south; PENPONT, 2 ¼ south; PENQUITE, 1 south and SWALLOCK, 1 north-east are hamlets.

 

Parish Clerk, Albert Harris

Post & M.O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office – Chas. Henry Hawken,sub-postmaster. Letters are received through Bodmin, arrive at 9.5 am; dispatched at 4.p.m.

National School (mixed) built in 1852, for 130 children; average attendance, 84; Samuel Brown, master

 

           PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Billing Miss, Penpont

Elson Mrs, Penquite

Hawken Miss, Rose cottage

Hosken Nehemiah Wm. Low. Penquite

Miller William, Deaconstowe

Parsons Mrs. Harley cottage

Platt Augustus, Penpont

Spare Zachariah, Rock cottage

Taylor Rev. Thomas M.A. Vicarage

Tom Nicholas, Higher Lank

Williams George, Rowe

Williams Joel, Rowe

        COMMERCIAL

Armstrong Francis, Wenford inn

Armstrong & Sons, stone masons, dealers in rough & finished granite, Wenford

Bartlett Francis, farmer, Penrose

Batten Philip, farmer, Casehill

Bell Jas. Hayland, farmer, Keybridge

Best Richd. & Thos. Farmers, Lank ho

Broad Edwin, Old inn, Church Town

Broad Thomas, farmer, Palmers

Chapman Edward, general cast steel & shoeing smith, Limbhead

Cole Jonathan, farmer, Candra

Curnow John . Farmer, East rose & Hantergantick

Colwill, Thomas, farmer, Tregelley

Davey Joseph, farmer, Jordan

De Lank Graniet Co. (Aug. H. Wheeler, manager)

Elford Philip, farmer, Hamatethy

Ford John (Mrs.), farmer, Treswallck

Green George, farmer,Whitebread

Harris Wm. Arundell, farmer, Bradford

Hawken Benjamin, farmer, De Lank & Penpont

Hawken Charles Hy. Sub-postmaster

Hawken Henry, farmer, Stanon

Hawken Jsph. Carpenter, Limbhead

Hawken William, carpenter, Rowe

Hawken William Henry, wheelwright, builder, contractor, undertaker & carpenter,Limbhead

Hosken Archelaus, farmer

Hosken Eliezer, carpentr. Limbhead

Hosken Fras. Farmer, Lower Penquite

Hosken Thomas, farmer, Irish

Hosken Thomas, shoe maker

Hosken Wm. Farmer, Middle Candra

Inch Frank, farmer, Heneward

Jasper Richard. Farm baliff to John Evelyn esq. Fernacre

Jasper Thomas, farmer,Mellon

Keast Thomas J. farmer, Belatherick

Marshall Thomas Hy. Farmr. Wenford

Masters William, farmer, West Rose

Miller William, yeoman, Deaconstowe

Nankivel William & Sons, granite masons & contractors for street & water works &c Shallow bridge

North Cornwall Hounds (A.F.Bassett, esq.master)

Pett Edwd. Geo, carpenter, Keybridge

Philp William, farmer, Hill

Polkinghorne & Tremain, gros & drprs

Polkinghorne Benjamin, Glen-View private hotel; situated in one of the most healthy & picturesque parts of Cornwall, families & Tourists will find every accommodation

Polkinghorne Saml. Farmer, Tor down

Reynolds James, farmer, Chaple

Reynolds Saml. Farmer,Phendavey

Roberts Mary Ann (mrs.), farmer, Church town

Rowland Joseph, farmer, Ivy

Runnals Samuel, farmer & miller (water), Comb

Shillaber John, farmer, Fellover

Spare & Hawken, drapers & grocers

Stephens Joseph, farmer, Penquite

Symons John, farmer, Lamphill

Wellington Chas farmer, Camperdown

Wheal Onslow Mines (arsenic) (Wm. Parkyn, manager)

Ford John (Mrs.), farmer, Treswallck

Green George, farmer, Whitehead

Harris Wm. Arundell, farmer, Bradfrd

Hawken Benjamin, farmer, De Lank & Penpont

Hawken Charles Hy. Sub-postmaster

Hawken Henry, farmer, Stanon

Hawken Jsph. Carpenter, Limbhead

Hawken William Henry, wheelwright,builder,contractor,undertaker & carpenter, Limbhead

Hosken Archelaus, farmer

Hosken Eliezer, carpentr. Limb head

Hosken Fros?, farmer, Lower Penquite

Hosken Thomas,farmer Irish

Hosken Thomas, shoe maker

Hosken Wm. Farmer, Middle Candra

Inch Frank, farmer, Heneward

Jasper Richard, farm bailiff to John Evelyn esq. Fernacre

Jasper Thomas, farmer, Mellon

Keast Thomas J. farmer. Belatherick

Marshall Thomas Hy. Farmr, Wenford

Masters William, farmer, West Rose

Miller William, yeoman, Deaconstowe

Nankivel William & Sons, granite masons & contractors for street & waterworks &c. Shallow bridge

North Cornwall Hounds (A.F.Bassett, esq.master)

Pett Edwd. Geo. Carpenter

Philp William, farmer, Hill

Polkinghorne & Tremaine, gros & drprs

Polkinghorne Benjamin, Glen-View private hotel; situated in one of the most healthy & picturesque parts of Cornwall, families & tourists will find every accommodation

Polkinghorne Saml. Farmer, Tor Down

Reynolds James, farmer, Chaple

Reynolds Samuel, farmer, phendavey

Roberts Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Church Town

Rowland Joseph, farmer, Ivy

Runnals Samuel, farmer & miller (water), Comb

Shillaber John, farmer, Fellover

Spare & Hawken, drapers & grocers

Stephens Joseph, farmer, Penquite

Symons John, farmer, Lamphill

Wellington Chas. Farmer, Camperdown

Wheal Onslow Mines (arsenic) (Wm. Parkyn, manager)