Our Own Higdons Contact: chiefstorm AT cox.net
|Maryland in general||Charles Co., MD||Howard Co., MD||Montgomery Co., MD||St. Mary's Co., MD||Baltimore, MD||Prince Georges Co., MD|
Ranaulf Higden, d. 1364.
Ranulf wrote Policronicon which was published in 1527, a reprint of the edition printed by Wynken de Worde in 1495. Hidgen's work, divided into seven books and extending to the year 1348, was originally written in Latin. The present English translation was made by John de Trevisa, who continued it to 1357. The eighth book, 1358-1460, was added by Caxton, who in 1482 printed the work from Trevisa's translation, revising the antiquited text. The first book comprises a brief description of the countries of the known world, and a more particular account of Great Britain.
The books can be found in the Library of Congress, LC Control Number 03009417 & call number Incun. 1498 .H5 Rosenwald Coll for the 1495 version, and LC Control Number 48031297 & call number D17 .H6 for the 1527 one; Rare Book/Special Collections Reading Room (Jefferson LJ239)
[p 158] Messrs. Higdon and Fulthorpe, who owned two of the manors at the time, were the most important villagers.From Howdenshire History
[p 162] The Howden historian, Johnson, writing in 1670, describes the Laxton Manors as (1) Metham Manor, (2) Higdon Manor, (3) Lowson Manor, possessed by the Fulthorpes.
[p 167, some Howdenshire Villages] In 1608, the last mentioned Robert Brandling, by indenture dated Sept. 29th, 6 J. 1, sold his manor of Laxton and one cottage and 137 acres of land...also 136 acres in Linton, and a capital messuage and 17 acres in Balkholme, to Robert Thoron and John Higdon, the elder and younger, and by indenture of 14th Jan., 6 J. 1 (1609), it was agreed that the Higdons should take the Lexton Property and the Thorntons that in Linton and Balholme. A month later, the Higdons further increased their estate, for by indenture of 21st Feb., 6 J. 1, they bought from Sir Thomas Fairfax, of Denton,...the manor of Pennythorpes in Co. York, with three closes containing 60 acres, also one close called West Close in Laxton...
John Higdon, who recorded three generations of his pedigree in 1612, came of a Nottinghamshire family, and was the grandson of John Higdon, of Epperstone, in that county. John Higdon, the son of the latter, acquired land in Howdenshire, and in 1567 was paying lord's rent of 4/6 for a house in Howden, and 32/6 for his free farm in Skelton. He was summoned by Glove in 1585 to record his pedigree as one of the Howdenshire gentry, but does not appear to have done so. His son John acquired the Brandling and Pennythorpe manors, the courts of which were subsequently held under the name of "The Manor of Laxton and Pennythorpes;" many of the rolls have been preserved, and will be more fully described hereafter.
John Higdon died on the 1st Sept., 1622, seized of one capital messuage, two other messuages, three cottages and 186 acres of land meadow and pasture held of Sir Thomas Metham...John Higdon, aged 6, son and heir.
John Higdon, the younger, who had married Elizabeth, daughter of John Monckton of Cavell, shortly before, died 15th October, 1641, seized of the above property, his brother Laurence, aged 21, next heir.
His will is dated 1st August, and proved 2nd Nov., 1641. In it he leaves small parcels of land to his brothers, William and Ralph, and his borther-in-law, John Cogan, and legacies to Mr. and Mrs. Monckton, his father and mother-in-law, and to different members of their family. Mr. Philip Monckton, his brother-in-law executor. Ralph Higdon, who was collector of subsidies for the East Riding in 1672, occurpied the largest dwelling in Laxton, presumably the manor house, in 1673.
John Higdon seems to have impoverished the property by his numerous bequests, and his brother Laurence fell into reduced circumstances; the latter mortgaged the Laxton estates and sold part of the land, and by indentures of 3rd May, 1682, and Fine 34 C. II., his son, Laurence, with his mother, Mary, conveyed the manner and 150 acres of land with the capital messuage and all...to Christopher Baylis.
[p 174] The Manor Farm, which lay in the west of the townships, was partly, at any rate, composed of the land which belonged to the old Hotham fee, and no doubt contained the 137 acres which John Higdon bought from Robert Brandling in 1608, and part of the estate which he purchased from Sir Thomas Fairfax the following year....
Browser's Farm, so called after its late owner, was composed of 92 acres, scattered in small parcels throughout the township, all freeholds of the Metham manor, and in 1623 was held by John Higdon of Sir Thomas Metham, as his manor of Laxton. Laurence Higdon, nephew of the above, sold it in 1650 to Thomas Althorp....
Eland's Farm, so called after the late proprietor, was comprised of fields dotted about in the extreme north and west of the township a considerable distance from the homestead, which stands next to that of Johnson, and is now occupied by the schoolmaster.
It originally belonged to the Higdons, and in 1668 Laurence Higdon sold 50 acres to John Althorp.
[p 187] Higdon's Charity. John Higdon, of Laxton, by his will dated August 1st, 1641, left £1 annual to the poor of Laxton chargeable on the "Fogclose."
In 1608 the Brandling family sold their Laxton manor to John Higdon. He was already living there as he was listed in the muster roll with his own armour in 1584. His son, also John, married Elizabeth Monkton of Caville. From the 1672 hearth tax records: Ralph Higdon was living in Laxton in a house with 7 hearths. This could have been on site of today’s Manor Farm.
Registers of Howden, Co. York from The Transactions of the East Riding Antiquarian Society
1661 December 16 - The county of Derbyshire raised £2,299 12s 0d. Subscriptions from the Wirksworth Hundred, which included Cromford, were listed by the King's Commissioners and amounted to £371 4s 4d. Thirty three men of Cromford contributed. Most gave 2 shillings, except where indicated. This would be £10 today (allowing for inflation). Only one occupation was given - ...Anthony HIGTON, Thomas HIGTONRef: http://www.pandyweb.freeserve.co.uk/crom_his.html
From Marriage Licenses of Frederick Co, MD by Margaret Myers
|Higdon, Alice T.||19||Baltimore City, MD||Tontz, Lawrence E.||23||Frank Ave & Main Lakeland||09 Apr 1923|
|Higdon, Charlotte||40||Baltimore, MD||Waters, Charles B.||45||New York, NY||21 Sep 1929|
|Higdon, Ella E.||18||Baltimore City, MD||Stevens, Lester E.||26||Baltimore City, MD||06 Dec 1921|
|Higdon, Lydia J.||-||-||Keefer, Francis M. Jr.||-||-||27 Sep 1914|
|Higdon, George M.||-||-||Ireland, Alice O.||-||-||15 Jul 1900|
|Higdon, James A.||23||Baltimore City, MD||Cassell, Myrtle M.||22||Baltimore City, MD||13 Nov 1911|
From Western MD Genealogy Vol 12, No. 3 July 1996; "Montgomery County 1793 Assessment" by Donna VAlley Russell:
From MD Militia in the Revolutionary War by S. Eugene Clements and F. Edward Wright:
From Abstracts of Charles County Circuit Court, Court and Land Records, Vol 2, 1665-1695
17 Apr 1693 - Indenture from William Dent, planter, to John Higdon of St. Mary's Co., planter; for 2000# tobacco; a parcel of land called Hallyfax; located on the north side of Oxon Run; containing 90 acres; /s/ William Dent (mark); wit. Ralph Shaw, Cleborne Lomax
From Charles County, MD, Land Records, 1750-1796
25 Nov 1789 - Theophilus Tabbs served notice on 2nd inst on William Swann and Leonard Higdon, and on 4th inst. on James Semmes.
From Early Families of Southern Maryland, Vol. II, p 138
A John Higdon gave a deposition in 1683, age ca 25. The John Higton [sic], wife Menesenca, who d. in Charles Co. in 1723 names the following children: John, Charles, Benjamin, Thomas, William, and Mary Sims [Md. Cal. Will, Vol V, p. 138]. The William Higdon, Sr. who gave his age as 50 on 29 Aug 1758 mentioned his father, John, living 35-36 years ago [Chas. Co. Dep., Barnes]. Other depositions by William give his age as 58 in 1767, 70 in 1178 [sic] and 71 in 1779, consistent with a 1708/9 date of birth.William Higdon, b. ca 1709, d. after 1779, m. 1732 Jane Boarman, d/o Benedict Leonard Boarman and Ann Brook; children b. Charles Co [Gardiner]:
- Benjamin Higdon, b. 11 Dec 1733, m. 1754 Amelia Downing
- William Higdon, b. 21 Feb 1735
- Benedict Leonard Higdon, b. 6 Aug 1740
- Ignatius Higdon, b. 12 Aug 1741; m. 8 Feb 1781 Elizabeth Taylor
- Susannah Higdon, b. 25 Jun 1743
- Martha Higdon, b. 13 Nov 1745
- Clare Higdon, b. 2 Feb 1748
From Maryland Colonial Abstracts 1772-77 by J. M. Magruder
From Maryland Records by G. M. Brumbaugh
From Charles County Gentry by Harry W. Newman
From The Tennison Family of Southern Maryland, Vol 1 and 2 by Ralph D. Smith
From Charles County Maryland Probate Records, Inventories, Book 1717-1735 (date is that of the Inventory)
Folio 145 - John Hidgton decd 12 Dec 1723 - John Higton & Brian Higton Kin.
File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by John B. Lomax, JBLomax@aol.com
A List of the Number of Taxables Belonging to the Several Persons in Charles County abstracts from the Several Constables Lists for the year 1733
Surname Given Name Taxables Number District Higdon John 2 46 Newport West Side Lower Part Higdon Millisent 1 18 Newport West Side Lower Part Higdon Thomas 1 5 Newport West Side Lower Part Higdon William 1 13 Newport West Side Lower Part
A List of Taxables of the Upper Hundred in Trinity Parish taken by Elisha Harbin Constable 1758
Surname Given Name Slaves Taxables Record Number District Higdon Sen. John 1 108 Trinity Parish Upper Hundred
Higdon, John Jr.; Charles Co; Higdon's Chance 280 acres 12/12/1775 MD Archives BC49/482 BC51/287
MD Gazette 1727-61 by Karen Mauer Green
Thursday, 10 Apr 1760 #779
William Higdon, senior, has a stray mare at his plantation in Charles Co.
|Date of bond||Wards Names||Guardian||Securities||Amount||Allowance||Balance||Overpaid||Number||When Settled|
|June 14||John F. S. Higdon|
aged 16 30 Jany 1826
|John Tho Higdon||Edmund H. Contee|
Benedict L. Higdon
|June 13th, 1827|
June 10, 1828
|Guardian excused from providing annual acct.|
|James W. S. Higdon|
aged 11 years 19th Jun 1826
|John Tho Higdon||same securities||$62.00|
|June 13th, 1837|
June 10, 1828
Administrations / Inventories:
18/01/1845 - John T. Higdon
20/05/1845 - Joanna Higdon
29/04/1847 - Francis Higdon
29/04/1847 - John T? Higdon
08/06/1847 - Mary E. Higdon
23/09/1858 - John F.S. Higdon
6/1865 - John F.S. Higdon distribution mentions Stewart Higdon, widow Margaret E. Higdon, daughters Sally M., Elizabeth, and Lucy.
16/08/1901 - Thomas Higdon
17/11/1903 - Sarah C. Higdon
15 Mar 1851 - Francis Higdon (55-120-11194), private, Capt. Posey. App Mary Higdon 62 res Balt City, widow Francis Higdon; states he was drafted Charles Co 1814, disch Newport Charles Co; they m. St. Thomas, Charles Co about 30 Mar 1809 by Mr. Piles, a clergyman; her fn was Mary Goodrick; Francis Higdon d. Charles Co 11 Nov 1833; acq: Thomas Higdon, Sylvester Higdon/ 20 Dec 1852 app William Holmes, res Charles Co, 2nd Lieut in Capt Posey's Rifle Co and acq with service of Francis Higdon/5 Aug 1853 app Thomas C. Higdon and Sylvester U. Higdon acq of Francis and Mary Higdon.Early Charles Co MD Settlers 1658-1745
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church at Pomfret*
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church at Newport*
St. Thomas Roman Catholic Church at Chapel Point*
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church at Bryantown*
* From Charles County, MD, Tombstone & Bible Records compiled by Committee of Martha Washington Chapter of DC DAR, 1940
St. Mary's Church at Newport
W. S. Higdon; b. 6-19-1815 d. 1-31-1852 (or 1859)[looks like 1832] inscription not clear; near Joanne & Absolom Tennison in NW corner
Holy Ghost Roman Catholic Church
From Charles County, MD, miscellaneous records / collected and complied by a Committee of the Martha Washington Chapter, DC, DAR, FHC fiche #6019856. Cemetery noted as heavily overgrown (1944), near Issue, MD at southern tip of Charles Co.
Higdon, Joseph - Aug 1852, GC 2 / 417:
23 Aug 1852 - Joseph Higdon suffering under great bodily disease. Bequeath to James Henry Baily all property owing to him should he live to the years of maturity as embraced in the will of his father (John Davis). Make and appoint Nocy [Noah] Baily "the gardian [sic] for the same James Henry Bailey until he shall become the age of twenty-one." If said James Henry Bailey dies before he reaches 21, then his Father Nocy Bailey should be sole heir. Witnessed by R. P. Blakistone, Ann Bailey, and Nocy Bailey. Subsequent entries involve Richard P. Blakistone proving the will 23 November 1852, and stating that he had said to the testator that "if he was not of age he could not make a will conveying his lands to when the testator replied that he was of age and that he had voted." That entry also lists the other witnesses as Ann Bailey and Noah Bailey. Then there's an entry noting on 7 Sep 1852, the Orphans court was "satisfied that none of the next of kin of the said deceased resided in St. Marys County," passed an order to place a notice once a week in the Alexandria Gazette, and subsequently admitted the will to probate.
St. Mary's Beacon Index
Marriages & Deaths in St. Mary's Co, MD
- 1811 - Clare Higdon ml Jesse Carter
- 5 Apr 1877 [Beacon] - Higdon, Lewis A. m. Lucy Hancock
- 1879 - Lavina Higdon m. William F. Perry
- 1880 - A.F. Higdon & Maria Theodosia Guy; wit. Thos. Camalier, Anna Hayden
- 16 Jan 1883 - Lewis A. Higdon, age 25m widower, engineer, s/o Andrew Francis Higdon, m. Susan Thompson, 22, single d/o Crawford Thompson at St. Aloysius Roman Catholic Church; wit. Robert Hill, Lucy Ann Bowles
- 9 Jan 1899 - Lewis Ambrose Higdon, 21 of Charles Co m. Amelia Edwards, 17 of St. Marys Co at Bryantown
- 22 Jan 1884 - Higdon, Alphonse DeWolf, infant s/o A F. & Mary T. Higdon, d. at Bladensburg, Prince Geo. Co [Beacon 31 Jan]
Colonial Settlers of St. Clements Bay, St. Marys Co, MD 1634-1780
Mary Mills b. St. Marys Co., d/o Nicholas Mills & Elizabeth Heard, m. Richard Barron (d. 16 Jul 1733). Next of kin on his inventory are Thomas Barron & Margaret Higdon. Mary Barron wrote will 31 Mar 1734 probated 2 Apr 1734. Named brother James Mills; 5 children: Eleanor & 4 sons.
Proceedings of the Orphans Court
From "Capitol Overseers & Labourers, November 1795," National Archives
- Samuel Higdon, overseer; 25 days; 90/0 pence per day; total 4/6/6 pounds
From Time Rolls, December 1794, National Archives
- Gustavus Higdon with George Fenwick
From Christ Protestant Episcopal Church, Washington Parish, 1795-1921, 620 G St. SE
From DC Marriage Index (1858-1870; 1877-1885) by Wesley Pippenger and D. Province
|Higdon, Mary Ann||Chambers, William||19 Nov 1867|
|Higden, Eliza Regina||Julihn, Magnus L.||08 Feb 1864|
|Higdon, Florence R.||Julihn, M. L.||06 Oct 1885||License||20||462|
From District of Columbia Marriage Licenses 1811-58 by W. E. Pippener
From Washington DC Marriages From 1806 to 1850
From DC Marriages 1811-1858 abstracted from DC Court Records; notebooks at main DC Library
DC Marriages from Vital Records cards
From William King's Mortality Book VI, 1795-1832, Georgetown Furniture & Coffins, by J. Donovan and Carlton Fletcher
From DC Death Records 8/1/1874 - 7/31/1879 by W. E. Pippenger
|Name||Age||Race||Birthplace||Death Date||Burial Location||Record #|
|Higdon, Clara||85||C||VA||2 Jul 1879||Mt. Pleasant||020712|
|Higdon, John||80||C||VA||8 Dec 1874||Mt. Pleasant||001340|
Washington DC Deaths
Name Race ? Date of Death Cert. No. Residence Age Birthplace Spouse Old Record - Jan 1855 to Aug 1874 Higdon, John C. 1874-5 18 Vol 1 - Aug 1874 to Feb 1878 Higdon, John 1874-5 1340 Vol 2 - Feb 1878 to Jul 1882 Higdon, Clara 1878-9 20712 Vol 4 - 1 Jan 1890 to Aug 1894 Higdon, Anne B. W 08 Mar 1892 82743 493 G SW 11 MD? Higdon, Bertie 1892-3 85527 Heigdon, Leon 1893 88320 Heigdon, Mary 1893-4 93272 Vol 5 - Aug 1894 to 1 Jul 1900 Higdon, Lewis A. W 20 Aug 1894 97911 9 mos DC Higdon, Maggie 1895 103831 Higdon, Joshua 1896 107514 Higdon, George 1896-7 111015 Higdon, Raymond W. W 02 Oct 1897 115759 315 Washington St. Anacostia 1 m/25 DC Higdon, Ralph W. W 30 Oct 1897 116031 315 Washington St. Anacostia 3 mos DC Higdon, Ada 1898 118500 Higdon, Horace W 28 Nov 1898 122167 Langdon, DC 5 m/5 d DC Higdon, Emma W 21 Jul 1899 123169 305 Monroe St. Anacostia 2 mos. DC Higdon, Martha 1899 127055 Vol 6 - 1 Jul 1900 to 31 Dec 1903 Higdon, Catharine 01 Jan 1901 134697 1911 New Hampshire NW 83 Ireland single Higdon, Lena E. W 13 Mar 1903 147908 30 PA Higdon, Benjamin 1903 149879 Vol 7 Higdon, Andrew P. W Oct 1904 153803 41 MD Higdon, Mary 19-6-7 170197 Vol 8 - 5 Feb 1909 to 31 Jan 1913 Higdon, Florence W 13 Mar 1911 197717 Newport, MD 57 MD Higdon, James W 29 May 1911 199102 Langdon, DC 11 MD Higdon, Margaret W 12 Jun 1911 199305 [remains to 2210 Channing] 65? Higdon, Mary Amelia W 10 Sep 1912 207129 Hosp. for Insane 30-4-4 MD Higdon, Mary C. 1912-3 207207 Vol 9 Higdon, Julian W 10 Feb 1915 221572 1405 S st? 62 VA Higdon, Earl W 30 Nov 1914 220317 1160 Neal NE 2 m/4 d DC Volume 10 - 3 Feb 1916 to 1 Feb 1919 Higdon, Frances Anthony W 09 May 1916 229900 3219 12th NE 8 m/24 d DC Higdon, Ida W 23 Nov 1918 249013 764 Howard Ave. Anacostia 35? VA Hegdon, Richard 1918 249424 Vol 11 - 2 Feb 1919 to 12 Jan 1924 Higdon, infant of Sherman A & Gertrude 01 May 1921 265154 2241 Douglas NE 4 hr. DC Higdon, Regina E. W C 18 Nov 1922 274494 1630 G SE 5 DC Higdon, Mitchell OL 1922-3 275434 Higdon, Louise W OL 09 Aug 1923 280268 2510 24 st NE 4 DC Higdon, Thomas B. W C 12 Dec 1923 282069 2514 22 st NE 54 MD Mary C. Higdon Vol 12 - Apr 1924 to Dec 1929 Higdon, Lucile Elizabeth W C 10 Oct 1924 287466 1630 G st. SE 11 MD Higdon, Catherine R. W C 07 Apr 1925 290954 1630 G st. SE 33 PA James S. Higdon Higdon, Mary W 09 Sep 1925 293778 459 New York Ave NW 46 DC Ernest Higdon Higdon, Sarah OL 1926 300369 Higdon, Francis X. W OL 19 Sep 1928 315572 Vol 13 Higdon, Mary C. W IV 07 Mar 1930 326430 1203 6th SE 53 MD Thomas B. Higdon Higdon, Mary E. W VII 26 Dec 1931 340035 Higdon, Mary E. W X 10 Apr 1932 342574 3110 S. Dak NE 41-7 MD Joseph Higdon Higdon, Margaret Suzanne W II 30 Dec 1932 348114 2209 Channing NE 72-6-4 St. Marys MD Louis Higdon Higdon, Lewis A. W VII 02 Dec 1933 355912 2615 22 NE 77 MD (? Baltimore) Margaret Suzanne Higdon Higdon, Harrison C IX 05 Jan 1934 356205 Higdon, Samuel C VII 09 Dec 1934 363866 Vol - 14 Jan 1935 to Dec 1939 Higdon, Contee C VII 28 Jan 1935 365098 Higdon, Florence E. W 11 Jun 1935 28599* 1304 Channing NE 66 MD Higdon, Sarah S. C VII 03 Jun 1936 377020 Higdon, Clayton W 26 Aug 1936 29788* Higdon, Johann W II 13 Aug 1939 403729 Vol 15 - 1 Jan 1940 to 31 Dec 1943 Higdon, Paul I W II 16 Aug 1942 429794 Higdon, Richard C 17 Jun 1943 37824* Higdon, Rue E. C VII 02 Sep 1943 439595? unexplained entries in index
* foreign deaths
From Index to DC Wills 1921 - 1950
Name Year Box # Higdon, Florence Irene Elizabeth 1936 1297 Higdon, Mary Catherine 1930 1030 Higdon, Mary E. 1932 1113 Higdon, Sherman Andrew 1945 1775
From District of Columbia Interments (Index to Deaths) 1855-74 by W. E. Pippenger
From District of Columbia Probate Index by Weley Pippenger
- Ann Higdon (X her mark) witness for Joseph Varden. Will 7 Oct 1809; proved 10 Oct 1809.
- Benjamin Higdon, friend, received 15 shares of Baltimore & Frederick Tpk Rd and 20 shares of Baltimore Union Bank plus lot and houses adjacent to Basil Bowlings (formerly owned by Thomas Duckett) from Nataniel Clagett. Will 21 Nov 1807; proved 1 Feb 1809.
- William Augustine Washington of DC to son 105 acres called "Johnathan's" purchased by my farther of Higdon. Will 12 Jul 1810; proved 8 Oct 1810.
- Gustavus Higdon was witness for
- Walter Adams of DC Will 27 Jun 1810; proved 26 Jan 1811.
- Thomas Reynolds of DC Will 2 Sep 1820, proved 3 Feb 1825.
from Congressional Cemetery website:
Names Date of detah Location Higdon, (Child of J.W.) d. 3 Oct 1897 R56/290 Higdon, (Child of John W.) d. 22 Aug 1894 R56/290 Higdon, Barbara Ann d. 8 Mar 1892 R56/290 Higdon, Catherine R. d. 7 Apr 1925 R98/317 Higdon, Earl A. d. 8 Oct 1945 R25/49 Higdon, Lucille E. d. 13 Oct 1924 R98/317 Higdon, Regina E. d. 20 Nov 1922 R98/318
from District of Columbia Indentures of Apprenticeship 1801 - 1893 by D. S. Provine
No. 53 (Vol I, 41-42) 19 Aug 1802
Eleanor Higden/Higdon to Samuel Lewis
Eleanor Higden, an orphan who will be 13 on next 16 Nov., is apprenticed until age 16 (a6 Nov1 1805), to Samuel Lewis, accountant, and his wife, Tomasann?, to learn plain needlework and housekeeping.
No. 663 (Vol II, 157-158) 17 Apr 1816
Thomas Higden/Higdon to Alexander Carmichael
John B. Higdon of Georgetown apprentices his son, Thomas Higdon, who was 16 last 23 Jan, until age 21, to Alexander Carmichael of Georgetown, to "learn his art, trade or mystery."
No. 956 (Vol II, 362-363) 10 Nov 1818
William Higden/Higdon to Ignatius French
William Higden, an orphan aged 13 last 2 Mar., is apprenticed until age 21, with Ignatius French to learn the trade of lady shoemaker. Ann Higden, mother of apprentice, consents.
No. 957 (Vol II, 363-364) 12 Oct 1818
John Higden/Higdon to Ignatius French
John [B.] Higden of Georgetown appentices his son, John Higden, who on 29 Oct. instant will be 13 years old, until 29 Oct 1826, to learn the trade of lady shoemaking. Includes Joseph Higdon signature.
No. 1313 (Vol III, 352-354) 5 Feb 1826
Augustus Higden/Higdon to William Good
Augustus Higdon, with the consent of his parents, apprentices himself for 6 years, with William Good, to learn the trade of a tobacconist and "segar maker." John B. X Higdon; August X Higdon; William Good; confirmed by 2 justices of the peace for Georgetown on 28 Feb 1826.
No. 1368 (Vol III, 418) 12 Jun 1826
Josephine Higden to Leonard Ashton
Josephine Higden, an orphan aged about 12 on 1 Jan 1826, is apprenticed until age 16 (1 Jan 1830), to Leonard Ashton.
|1812 ||1814 and 1815||1816 |
|1817 and 1819 ||1823 ||1824 |
|1827 Matchett's ||1829 Matchett's ||1831 |
|1833 Matchett's ||1835 Matchett's ||1837 Matchett's |
|1840||1842 Matchett's ||1845 Wholesale Business Directory & Business Circular|
|1847-8 Matchett's ||1851 pg 126|
South Md. Times, 11 Jan 1951
Thomas Eugene Higdon Funeral services were held recently at St. Francis Xavier Church for Thomas Eugene Higdon of Indian Head who died at Eudawood Sanitorium in Baltimore.
Burial followed in Cedar Hill Cemetery near Baltimore.
Born and reared in Charles County, the deceased was one of Indian Head's oldest residents. He retired from employment at the Naval Powder Factory some years ago.
He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Bessie Higdon, and the following children: Thomas C. Higdon, W. Eugene Higdon, Miss Marie Higdon, Mrs. Agnes Keiser, Mrs. Kellie Bowler, Mrs. Katherine Taylor, James E. Higdon; two sisters, Mrs. William J. Mattingly of Indian Head and Richard Wright of Marbury and two borthers, Alonzo Higdon and Francis Higdon, and a number of grandchildren.
Baltimore Sun, 21 Feb 1977
Funeral services for William H. Higdon, a retired boilermaker, will be held at 1 P. M. todya at the McCully funeral establishment, 237 East Patapsco avenue.
Mr. Higdon, who was 91 and lived at 2106 Sideny avenue, died Friday at a nursing home after a long illness.
Before his retirement 36 years ago, he had worked for the Baltimore Gas and Electric Company for many years and before that for the Barlett Hayward Company. A native of Queenstown, Md., who had come to Baltimore as a youth, he kep an interest in fishing and crabbing and made his own crab netting.
He is survived by his wife, the former Minnie W. Rixsie; three daughters, Audrey Higdon, of Baltimore, Mrs. Hilda Baker of Baltimore Highlands, and Mrs. Norma Turlis, of Bridgeport, Conn.; three sons Raymond, Carroll and Franklin Higdon, all of Glen Burnie; a sister, Mrs. Amelia Kaplan, of Glen Burnie; 14 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.
Baltimore Sun 29 Apr 1985
Services for Laura Belle Higdon, a Sunday school teacher for many years, will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the Barton funeral etablishment in Queenstown.
Mrs. Higdon, who was 89 and lived in Queenstown, died Saturday at Easton's Memorial Hospital after an illness of several months.
She taught Sunday school classes for many years at Calvary United Methodist Church in Queenstown.
The former Laura Belle Sparks was a ative of Carmichael. Her husband, Charles Cockey Higdon, who was a waterman and shipyard worker, died in 1947.
She is survived by a daughter Belle Austin, of Elizabethtown, N.J.; two sons George C. Higdon, of Queenstown, and V. Lee Higdon, of Centreville; a sister, Evelyn Evert, of San Diego; 14 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren.
Baltimore Sun 16 Mar 1959
HIGDON - On March 15, 1959, OAKLEY KERSEY, of Queenstown, Md., son of Mars. Winnie E. and the late Frank H. Higdon.
Funeral services will be held Tuesday, March 17 at 3 P.M., at Barton Bros. Funeral Chapel, Centerville, Md. Interment in Chesterfield, Centerville, Md.
CemeteriesMt. Olivet Cemetery Caretaker Records compiled by J. J. Winterbottom
- 1787 Alexandria, VA census - no Higdon listed
- 1791 Alexandria, VA directory - no Higdon listed
- 1799 Alexandria, VA census from Virginia Genealogist, #4, p 164
- Higdon, Jno. & wife, bricklayer, 3 children, 2nd Ward
- 1800 Alexandria, VA Tax List
- Higdon, John - 1-0
- 1803 Alexandria, VA Tax List from Virginia Genealogist, #4, p 20
- Higdon, John - 2-0
- 1804 Alexandria, VA Tax Register
- Higdon, John 2 [peths?]
- Obituary Notices from the Alexandria Gazette by the staff of Lloyd House, Alexandria Library
- ? 1838 [27 Feb; p3] - Higdon, John
- 25 Jun 1938 [28 Jun, p3] - Higdon, Gustavus
- 27 Feb 1843 [29 Mar, p3] - Higdon, Charles
- ? 1855 [12 Dec; p3] - Higdon, James
- 26 Oct 1857 [28 Oct; p3] - Higdon, Julia Ann
- ? 1862 [12 Jun; p3*] - Higdon, H.
- 11 Jun 1862 [1 Jul; p4*] - Higdon, William J.
- 5 Aug 1865 [12 Aug, p4] - Higdon, James
- 6 Feb 1867 [7 Feb] - Higdon, Rebecca
- 11 Jun 1878 [21 Jun; p2] - Higdon, John Bernard A.
* Hard copy available in Alexandria VA Library Special Collection, Manuscript Collection Box 47A
- Alexandria (Arlington) Co. Death Records 1853-96, p. 45, by W. E. Pippenger
- 11 Dec 1855 - Higden, John L., W[hite], M[ale], Alexa, infla. of liver, 5y, J. H. & M. A. Higden, J. H. Higden, father, p. 10
- 11 Dec 1855 - Higdon, J. H., W, M, Alexa., bilious diarrhea, 38y, -, tailor, consort of Mary Ann Higdon, J. W. Higdon, brother.
- 18 Jan 1858 - Higdon, Julia, W, F, Alexa, overdose laudanum, 30y, consort of J. W. Higdon, J. W. Higdon, husband
- 16 Feb 1867 - Higdon, Rebecca, W, F, Alexa., pleurisy, 76y, Wm. & Hannah Reynolds, Alexa., housekeeper, married, Wm. E. Atwell, friend, p23.
- Alexandria and Alexandria (Arlington) County Virginia Minister Returns & Marriage Bonds 1801-52 by T. M. Miller
- 21 Feb 1816 - John Higdon & Rebecah Reynolds; bondsmen John Higdon, John Shackleford
- 23 Feb 1842 - William Higdon & Julia Ann Allan; bondsmen William H. Higdon, Ignatius Allan
- 8 May 1845 - John F. S. Higdon & Margaret E. Banque; bondsmenJohn F. S. Higdon, Francis Wills
- 13 Dec 1848 - John H. Higdon & Mary Ann Pickering; bondsmen John H. Higdon, Henry Cryss
- Alexandria City Directories 1876 & 1870 - No Higdon entries.
- Alexandria VA Birth Records 1853-1911
- Jul 1853 - W. P. F. Higdon, father W. J., mother Julia A., white, male?, registry #5
- 18 Aug 1854 - Sarah R. Higdon, father J. H., mother Mary A., white, female, registry #13
- 26 Dec 1857 - Katie Higdon, father J. H., mother Mary Ann, white, female, registry #29
- Tombstone Inscriptions of Alexandria, VA Vol2 by W. E. Pippenger
- Mary Jane Higdon Atwell, wife of Wm. E. Atwell, 1817-1910, E74, Methodist Protestant Cemetery, Wilkes St. & Hamilton Lane.
- 7 Feb 1852-11 Sep 1852 - Atwell, Mary E. d/o Wm. E. & Mary J.
- History of St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Alexandria VAby R. L. Kaye
- 1846-7 - Sergeant William J. Higdon in Mexican War
- 31 May 1862 - William J. Higdon killed at Seven Pines
- Pen Portraits of Alexandria VA 1739-1900 by T. M. Miller
Mexican War - On 12 Dec 1846, company left Alexandria on steamer Phoenix for Aquia Creek and then took the train...Turner W. Ashby 1st Lieutenant resigned 22 Feb 1848; sergeant W. J. Higdon was elected to fill vacancy. In roster, W. J. Higdon listed as Orderly Sergeant.
- Legislative Petitions of the Town & County of Alexandria 1778-1861 by W. E. Pippenger
- 29 Jan 1846 - J. H. Higdon; accepting retrocession to Virginia of portion of District of Columbia south of the Potomac.
- 28 Apr 1852 - W. J. Higdon; mechanics and merchants erecting, repairing, or supplying materials to buildings request re-enactment of lien law as before retrocession.
- Alexandria Hustings Court Deeds 1797-1801 by J. D. Munson
- 23 Jun 1797 - Thomas & Nancy Richards to John Norwood; John S. Higdon witness.
- Alexandria, Virginia, Marriage Index by W. E. Pippenger
- 22 May 1902 - Sarah M. Higdon + J. H. Atkins (c)
Capt. John Washington
- Will - Alexander Webster, John Elliot, Richard Craddock, James Taylor, and John Higdon valued and appraised the estate.
- Inventory - John Elliot, James Taylor, John Higdon, and Laurence Abbington
- 26 Aug 1713 Inventory - Thomas Arrington, Jno Higdon, Jos. Weekes, Thos. Robbins
- 08 Dec 1725 - Westmoreland Co., VA deed Vol#8-1, pg 175
Daniel Higdon, John Pope, and Jane Pope of parish of Washington and county of Westmoreland for £200 deed 215 acres on south side of Potowmack River between Popes Creek and a small creek commonly called Bridges Creek and is part of the patent first granted to Henry Brooks in 1657.
Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- 13 Dec 1828 - James ELLIOTT & Elizabeth HIGDON in Orange
- 13 Dec 1848 - John H. HIGDON & Mary Ann PICKERING in Arlington
King George Co., VA Marriagies Vol I by E. N. Lee
- 22 Dec 1788 - Charles Higdon & Mary Mitchell
- 25 Jul 1812 - Sally Higdon & Thomas Muse
- 7 Oct 1826 - Betsey Higdon & Thomas James
Married Well & Often - Marriages of the Northern Neck of Virginia 1649-1800 by R. K. Headley
- Higdon Daniel & Muse Mary (wid) before 1717, bride was d/o John & Sarah (Roxall) Elliott and widow of Nicholas Muse. She died ca. 1737 & Daniel Higdon mar. Margaret Pope, the widow of Nathaniel Pope.
- Higdon John & Marson Margaret (or Mason) before 28 Mar 1694, bride was d/o Jn Marson (Mason)
- Higdon John & wickliff Elizabeth (wid) before 30 Mar 1699, relic of David Wickliff
- Higdon Richard & Brooks Jane between 28 Jan 1657/8 - 21 Jun 1662, bride was d/o Hen. (shipwright of Appomatox for d WC/662-63) & Jane Brooks
Marriages of Some Virginia Residents 1607-1800 by Wulfeck
- 2 Mar 1746/7 - Higdon [Hogdon], Nathaniel m. Margaret Oliver, St. Paul's Church, Stafford Co., VA
5 Feb 1697 or 98 - John Higdon witness for will of Original Browne, Westmoreland Co., VA; Book 2, 142A-144.From Wills of Westmoreland County, Virginia by A. B. Fothergill
From Westmoreland Co., VA Deeds & Wills by J. F. Dorman
- CAMPBELL, James - 20 November 1702; 30 December 1702. To John Higdon's sons, Original, Daniel and John one heifer each; to Nathaniel Pope's two children Mary and William late of Richmond county when 21 years of age two cows and calves; to Elizabeth Higgins' two sons 5 shillings each; to Mary Triplett 10 shillings; to Original Roe 2 years schooling; wife Jane exx. and estate not willed.
- HIGDON, John - 7 Sept. 1718; 21 Oct. 1718. Sons Daniel and John land, 1 negro and personal property; son John exr.
- HIGDON, John - 28 April 1720; 29 June 1720. Son John; bro. Daniel; wife Magdalene exx; son and wife equal parts of estate.
- MASON, John - 16 Jan. 1725; 23 Feb. 1725. Land, stock and pewter to cousin John Higdon when 20 years of age; to Richard Wroe my tools; to William son of William Brown 3 years schooling; to Mary Brown 20 shillings; to Hannah Wroe 20 shillings; to Walter Brown a heifer; to Original son of John Wroe « of my personal estate; exrs. Capt. Augustine Washington and William Brown.
- HIGDON, Daniel - 26 Oct. 1739; 27 Nov. 1739. Lands to my daus. Mary and Jane; son in law John Muse; wife Margaret; Humphrey Pope that married my dau. in law Sarah; John McLarran my clothes.
- WILLIAMS, Chambers - 12 Jan. 1748-9; 31 Jan. 1748-9. Edward Guinness and wife Catherine live on my land until son is 18 years of age and pay rent of 800 lbs. of tobacco a year; son Daniel estate at 18 years of age; son Thomas personal estate; John Higdon and his wife Sarah; exr. Humphrey Pope.
- HIGDON, John - 23 Dec. 1770; 26 Mar. 1771. Children Elizabeth, Original, John and Richard Higdon
From Calender of State Papers, Colonial Series (Volume 20), America and West Indies, Jan.-Dec. 1, 1702, preserved in the Public Record Office (Vaduz: Kraus Reprint Ltd., 1964) First Published London: HMSO, 1912. pp. 155-160, Cecil Headlam, ed.
- WICKEFF, Robert - 25 Jan 1697/8, 30 Mar 1698/9 [p. 131-131a]. Will of Robert Wickeff, being sick of body. Unto my loving brother David Wickleff one servant boy Samuel Dutten. Unto my son David Wickleff my plantation with all my land. In case my son David should die before he comes of age or without issue, my well beloved wife Margarett have my plantation during her life and afterward to return to my loving brother David Wickleff. My beloved wife Margaret have every part of my movable estate, and the other half to my son David [sic]. My well beloved wife Margarett executrix and my honored father in law Colo. William Peirce executor.
Wit: Original Browne, John Higdon, Lau Abbington.
30 Mar 1698 - Provided by Laurence Abbington. Original Brown is since dead and John Higdon sick and not able to come to Court. Ordered that John Higdon be sworne before Capt. William Bridges.
19 May 1698 - By virtue of an odered 30 Mar 1698 John Higdon doth declare Robert Wickleff did sign and seal that will which I produced. William Bridges.
- SAXON, William - 26 Feb 1699/1700; 28 Feb 1699/1700. William Saxon of Westmoreland Co., planter, to John Higdon. 48 acres commonly called by the name of Jonathan's, on the western side of Pope's Creek in Mattox Neck. Gives bond for 20,000 pounds of tobacco payable if Saxton shall lay any after claims to the land. William & Margaret Saxton. Wit: William Rollins, Laurence Pople.
28 Feb 1699/1700. Acknowledge by William Saxton. Margt. his wife relinquished her right of dower.
- CAMPBELL, Jane - 25 Jan 1702/3; 24 Feb 1702/3 [p. 123-124]. Jane Campbell of Washington Parish, Westmoreland Co., to my loving son John Higdon and his children. For natural love and affection. All that parcel of land he is now seated on, being formerly surveyed for 150 acres...on the south side of Diggwood Swamp which tree divideth this land and the land formerly sold by my former husband James Campbell and myself to my son in law Nathaniel Pope...trees that divides this land and the land formerly belonging to Lawrence Abingdon...land formerly in possession of David Whickliffe now in the tenure of my son in law Nathl. Pope. To my son John Higdon during his natural life, the remainder to his two eldest sons Original Higdon and John Higdon to be equally divided.
Wit: Nathaniel Pope, Jane Pope.
24 Feb 1702/3 - Mr. Nathaniel Pope by virtue of a power from Mrs. Jane Campbell acknowledged the deed of guift to John Higdon and his two sons Original Higdon and Daniel [sic] Higdon.
24 Feb 1702/3 - I appoint my son in law Nathl. Pope my attorney to acknowledge the deed of gift. Jane Campbell. 24 Feb 1702/3 - Wit: Wm. Chambers, Wm. Thompson. Proved.
From King George County Virginia Will Book A-1 1721-1752 and Miscellaneous Notes by G. H. S. King
- Daniel Higdon, Grand Jury, Charles City County
- 28 Jun 1726 / 5 Nov 1726 - Richard Jones of King George Co. Notes by the author state John Jones Sr (? - 1726), a smith of Saint Mary's Parish, Richmond Co., purchased land in what was to become Hanover Parish, King George Co. John Jones Sr. married first Mary Stiles and secondly Ann ?, who married John Higdon. Mark Jones (1711-31) was the bastard son of Catherine Jones, daughter of John and Mary Stiles Jones.
- 27 Jul 1731 / 3 Sep 1731 - Mark Jones of the Parish of Hanover County of King George reserving to my Grandmother who was the widdow of my Grandfather John Jones and now wife to my good and kind friend John Higden and likewise reserving to the said Higdon during their two natural lives the full use of all my lands lying and being the western branch of Muddy Creek and the River of Rappahannock...my aforesaid good friend John Higden who has always been kind to me and especially now in my last sickness and great extremity, but only first reserving my black horse named Spanker which I give to said John Higden and desire he may have him before any division is made...lastly, I do appoint my unkle Charles Webster the husband of my aforesaid aunt Barbery to be my executor.... My will is that my executor bear all the charge of my funeral expense out of his part and that John Higden bear the trouble of my sickness.
Loudoun Co., VA
- Loudoun County, Virginia Birth Register 1853-1879 and 1880-1896, by P. B. Duncan
- Higdon, Virginia E., WF, 18 Dec 1853, Ldn, Chas. H. Higdon, brick layer, Ldn, Eliza A. Higdon, I (Info)-Chas. H. Higdon, f, 2:29
- Higdon, Harriet A., WF, 28 Jan 1858, Ldn, James W. Higdon, farmer, Ldn, Mary J. Higdon, I-James W. Higdon, f, 77:28
- Higdon, James L., WM, 5 Apr 1854, Ldn, James W. Higdon, farmer, Ldn, Mary J. Higdon, I-Mary J. Higdon, m, 16:30a
- Higdon, Robert T., WM, 16 Dec 1859, Ldn, James W. Higdon, farmer, Ldn, Mary J. Hidon, I-James W. Higdon, f, 91:32
- Higden, Robert T., WM, 16 Dec 1859, Ldn, Jas. W. Higden, farmer, Ldn, Mary J. Higden, I-Jas. W. Higden, f, 109:398
- Higden, Wm. W., WM, 7 Jul 1865, Hermitage, James W. Higden, farmer, Hermitage, Mary J. Higden, I-James W. Higden, f, 125:44
- Higdon, Wm. W., WM, 7 Jul 1865, Hermitage, Jas. W. Higdon, farmer, Hermitage, Mary J. Higdon, I-Jas. W. Higdon, f, 116:19
- Higdon, Robert, WM, 21 Aug 1881, Ldn, James L. Higdon, farmer, nr Leesburg. Mattie Higdon, I-James L. Higdon, f, 277:81.
- Higdon, Nora, WF, 4 Jun 1883, Maryland, James L. Higdon, farmer, nr Daysville, Martha Higdon, I-Martha Higdon, m, 305:94
- Higdon, Alva, WF, 20 May 1886, nr Guilford, James L. Higdon, farmer, nr Guilford, Martha Higdon, I-Jas. L. Higdon, f, 339:82
- Higdon, Samuel, WM, 17 Jul 1888, nr Sterling, Jas L. Higdon, laborer, Sterling, Martha A. Higdon, I-Jas L. Higdon, f, 372:85
- Higdon, Lutie, WF, 14 Mar 1890, Farmwell, James L. Higdon, farmer, Farmwell, Martha A. Higdon, I-James L. Higdon, f, 395:63
- Higdon, Ashby, WM, 7 Mar 1894, Taylorstown, James Higdon, farmer, Taylorstown, Martha Higdon, I-NG, 440:19
- Loudoun Marriages 1760-1850 by J. Vogt & T. W. Keithley Jr.
- 14 Nov 1842 - James Lacock to Mary White; bondsman James Higdon
- 17 Nov 1845 - Susan A. E. Higdon to John Beach; bondsman James D. McPherson
- 21 Apr 1849 - Charles H. Higdon to Eliza Ann Beans; s/o John H. Higdon; bondsman Aaron Beans
- 28 Oct 1850 - James W. Higdon to Mary Jane Newton; d/o John Newton; minister H. Holland
- Loudoun County Virginia Will Book Abstracts, Books A-Z by P. B. Duncan
- Charles Higdon - 30 Oct 1813, settle acct, Admr Silas Wherry. CtOD 15 Dec 1812. Payments, crops totaling $102.61. Charles was an overseer, died about the last of Sep 1811. RtCt 10 Nov 1813. K:344
- James Higdon - 5 Jun 1832, 25 Feb 1834, purchases
- James Higdon - 19 Nov 1840, appraiser
- James Higdon - will of 31 Mar 1850, unnames wife, son Charles J. H. Higdon (Exr), daughter Susan Ann Elizabeth & Marth Ellen, wit. M. C. Shumate & Mrs. Fulton. RcCt 13 Nov 1865.
- James W. Higdon - 26 Feb 1870, Acct/Inv. Admr Sheriff S. Bolyn. CtOD 14 Feb 1870. Several bonds total $1585; household items total $46.00; land warrant No. 36809 for 80 acres of land, bounty for services rendered as private in war of 1812, Capt. Stevens Company, Va Militia, considered very doubtful. Apprs Benjamin Brown, James Lacock, William Lowe. RtCt 28 Feb 1870. 2V:136
- George B. Beach - 29 Dec 1865, Acct/Inv, Admr Charles H. Higdon, widow Martha Ellen Beach & children George Campbell who m. Salley & to guardian of Martha Beach, James Beach, George Beach, May Beach, & Samuel Beach (some <14y).
- Charles H. Higdon - 19 Apr 1870, bought 8a.
- Sarah Higdon - Acct/Inv Admr Charles H. Higdon. $400 note from Joseph Mead. Apprs Wm Hall, Benjamin Brown, Wm Lowe. RtCt 13 Feb 1871 2W:54
- Sarah Higdon - 20 May 1874, settle acct, Admr Charles H. Higdon. $419.02 distributed to Charles H. Higdon, Zenas Milbourn, & Martha E. Beach. RtCt 10 Aug 1874 2Z:135
- Union Cemetery, Leesburg, Loudoun Co., VA by Elizabeth R. Frain
- Lot 599 purchased 4 Jan 1900, owner Charles H. Higdon, p. 250 -
- Charles H. Higdon - death: 1907/12/30; age 82 yrs; cause General Deblity; TS age 81 yrs 11 mos 24 days
- Eliza A. Jane Higdon - death 1917/12/20, age 89 yrs; cause old age; on stone with Charles H. Higdon; TS age 89 yrs 10 mos 22 days
- Lot 320 purchased 21 Mar 1877, owner E. Higdon; p. 124 -
- Mrs. Mary Jane Higdon - TS: wife of James W. Higdon; age 86 yrs; birth 1827/03/08; death 1914/01/12; cause old age.
- Lot 733 E purchased 28 Aug 1926, owner James L. Higdon; p. 30 -
- James L. Higdon - cause nephritis, age 81 yrs, birth 1854/04/05, death 1935/05/23, burial 1935/05/25
- Martha Alice Higdon - cause nephritis, age 73 yrs, birth 1858/05/30, death 1927/04/27, burial 1927/04/29
- Index to Loudoun County, Virginia Deed Books by P. B. Duncan
- 2W:023 24 Dec 1817 James Higdon witness
- 2W:004 3 Feb 1818 James Higdon witness
- 2W:239 29 Apr 1818 William Higdon land adjoining
- 3X:229 8 Feb 1832 RtCt 13 Feb 1832
Jacob Carnickle/Carnicle & wife Sarah of Ldn to James Higdon of Ldn bargain & sale of lot prch of Peter Benedum Dec 1822. Wit. Saml M. Edward, Thos. Saunders
- 3Z:368 26 Feb 1833 RtCt 26 Feb 1833
Henry Benedum to Edward Hammat. Trust for dept to Joseph Laycock & James Higdon using house & lot N side of Loudoun St. in Lsbg now occupied by widow Newton
- 4B:281 30 Aug 1833 RtCt 15 Jan 1834
Josiah Conwell & wife Ann & Jonathan Connell of geurnsey Co. Ohio & Elizabeth Conwell of of geurnsey Co. Ohio (heirs of Elizabeth Conwell wife of Loveless Conwell) to James Higdon of Ldn bargain & sale of 2a & Peter Benedum, Charles Binns, Joseph Mead...
- 4C:315 9 Jan 1835 RtCt 23 Jan 1835
John Nixon Jr. & wife Cassander/dra of Ldn to James Higdon of Ldn bargain & sale of 20a & 8a wood lot (allotted in div of father George Nixon dec'd. Wit: Henry T. Harrison, Presley Cordell. Delv. to Higdon 20 Apr 1843.
- 4K:006 13 Jan 1838 RtCt 13 Jan 1838
John Gray of Ldn to James Higdon of Ldn bargain & sale of 2a (p/o purch of Charles Binns) adjacent to Higdon, Joseph Mead
- 4O:417 1 Mar 1841 RtCt 2 Mar 1841
John Gray of Lsbg to Robert Elgin of Ldn bargain & sale of lot less 2a cnvy/b John Gray to James Higdon DBK 4k convey/b Charles Binns to John Gray & Robert Bently 1833
- 4S:150 11 Mar 184 RtCt 20 Apr 1843
Samuel LaCock & wife Matilda of Ldn to Joseph Lacock of Ldn. Trust for debt to James Higdon using nearly 50a on small branch of Seconels Creed adjacent to...
- 4T:158 25 Jan 1844 RtCt 25 Jan 1844
Robert Elgin Sr. of Ldn to James Higdon of Ldn bargain & sal of 23a on road from Lsbg to Mt. Gilead and road from Lsbg by Oatlands (part of prch of John Gray) adjacent to Mrs. Benedum, Higdon, Joseph Mead...
Orange Co., VA, Marriages 1747-1850 by J. Vogt & T. W. Keithley, Jr.
- 3 Jun 1796 - John Higton to Mary Ross; minister George Bingham
- 13 Dec 1828 - Elizabeth Higdon d/o John Higdon to James Elliott; wit: William G. Huckstep, Jonathan Havy, Reynolds Chapman; bondsman William G. Huckstep.
Virginia in 1740 - Reconstructed Census by TLC Genealogy
- John Higdon - Westmoreland Co., Westmoreland Co. Order Books 1739-43
- Daniel Higdon - Westmoreland Co., ditto, Westmoreland Co. Records & Inventories, No. 1, 1723-46
- Sarah H. Higdon - Westmoreland Co., ditto & ditto
Virginia in 1760 - Reconstructed Census by TLC Genealogy
- John Higdon - Westmoreland Co., Westmoreland Co. VA Order Books 1758-64 AGLL V297-39 143
1787 Culpeper Co. Personal Property Tax - C List
Higdon, James self 0/0/0/1/0 [white males 17-20/black males>16/black males<=16/horses/cattle].
1787 Westmoreland Co. Personal Property Tax - A List
Higdon, John self 2/2/1/2/7 [see key above]
From Selected Final Pension Payment Vouchers 1818-64 by A. T. Pierce
- 20 Dec 1843 - Higdon, Charles; Westmoreland Co., VA
Thomas James intermarried with Elizabeth Higdon, only child of Charles Higdon, late pensioner (former mariner in Manly Galley), who resided in county 5 years and was previously in King George Co. Collect arrears 4 Sep 1842 - 20 Feb 1843 (date of death). Appointed attorney H. A. Washington.
From Virginia Soldiers of the American Revolution1 by H. J. Eckenrode & Historical Register of Virginians in the Revolution2
- Higden, Charles - (n.)(King Geo.) S of W, 1835, Pen 2 1571
- Higden, Charles - (n.) B.W.1
- Higden, Isaac, G. - VA H 1831; 1 VA State Register2
- Higdon, John - R.C.1
- Higden, Richard - B.W.; R.C.1
- Higden, Ridguel - (n.) B.W.1; Navy1
- Higdon, Charles - (n.) E1; War 5/891; Navy2
- Higdon, John - (n.) Aud Acct XXII 630; B.W.; E1; War 5/841; Navy2
- Higdon, John - B.W.1
- Higdon, Joseph - B.W.1; Barren Co. KY mpl2
- Higdon, Richard - War 5/901; Art. nbll2
- Higdon, Ridguel - (n.) B.W.1; Navy2
Aud Acct - Auditors Account Book (MS)
B.W. - Bounty Warrants, applications for grants of bounty land. A MS index to collection of loose manuscripts.
War #/## - Collection of MS volumes bearing on the military establishment of the state during and after the Revolution; # is volume, ## is page.
E# - Collection of loose papers, MS, & printed, mostly partial pension lists
R.C. - Rejected Claims, MS index to loose manuscript applications for bounty grant rejected by governor
nbll - Name in Army Register but did not receive bounty land
2Found in alphabetical index of papers in Old Records Div., Adjutant General's Office, War Dept. or Navy Dept.
From Revolutionary War Bounty Land Grants by L. D. Backstruck
From Revolutionary War Records Virginia by G. M. Brumbaugh
- Higden, John - VA, sailor, 6 Jun 1783, 100 acres
- Higden, Ridgnal - VA, sailor, 30 Dec 1839, 75 a
- Higder [sic], Charles - VA, sailor, 27 Sep 1786, 100 a
- Higdon, John - VA, seaman, 15 Jun 1858, 100 a
- Higdon, John - VA, corporal 21 Jan 1799, 200 a
100 acres if served 3 year enlistment or until end of war
200 acres if non-commissioned officer serving 3 years
If killed, heirs entitled to grant as if had served at least 3 years
Land grants for above were in IN, KY, and OH
- Higdon, Richard - soldier, Art., Bounty Land Warrant
- Higdon, John - corporal, 3 years, #4880 Continental Line Warrant, Miliatry District Ohio
- Higdon, Joseph - corporal, 3 years, #4898 Continental Line Warrant, Miliatry District Ohio
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids