The Chase County Historical Society, located in Champion, Nebraska, has since it's inception in 1938 collected personal histories of residents of Chase County, Nebraska. These oral histories provides a history of Chase County that goes beyond facts and information about the state. Listed on these pages are transcripts of interviews of many early settlers of Chase County, Nebraska. I am grateful to the Historical Society for the work it's researchers did in preserving these stories, and for permission to share them here with other researchers. These stories and other important historical information about Chase County can be found in their published Histories of Chase County, copies which can be purchased from the Society or viewed in the Imperial Republican Library. The Society welcomes any additional stories about early settlers that you may wish to contribute to their files.
Kimberling became widely known for raising Hereford cattle. In the 1920's he was in
partnership with his brother, Glen Kimberling. The Kimberling Brothers, as they were
known, won many prizes and some championships for the cattle. Some of their herd
sires were recognized in the book "The Hereford in America by Ornduff" was
Champion Domino, (named for their town of Champion), Anxiety 4th, Real Prince Domino and
Charley Kimberling came to Chase County with his father and mother, the Vinton Kimberlings, from Iowa in the 1880's. The lumber was hauled from Benkelman to construct the buildings on the the ranch owned by Vinton.
In addition to Glen and Charley, there was a brother Pearl, who preferred horses and kept a registered Belgium Stallion when work horses were used on the farms. There was also a sister named Minnie who became Mrs. Elmer Hester and a sister Nellie who became Mrs. Hector Piedalue.
Charley, Glen and Pearl visited Buffalo Bill's ranch several times and entertained the family with stories of their visit.
The Kimberling family donated land for the Crete Church.
In August of 1920 the Vinton Kimberlings celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with a family gathering in their large barn before they turned it over to the animals. Canvas was used to make temporary partitions with the ladies in one section, the men in one section, and a third section was used as the dining hall. Relatives came from as far away as Iowa and stayed three or four days. Long tables were covered with white tablecloths. Figures from the 1870's through the 1920's were displayed on the canvas at the end of the dining tables. The barn resounded with fellowship, laughter, story telling and was an unforgettable time for the Kimberling family. The barn was constructed by George Dashofsky and Charley Kimberling was distinctive for its size and for the picture of Real Prince Domino 24th on the front.
(Information provided by Vinta Kimberling Phillips and daughter Melody Phillips.)
email Linda Banks at: FlorenceEm@AOL.com