Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

image.gif (2459 bytes)      Chase County, NE Schools
    home               --


             Early District Schools                        

          Chase County High School


sod.gif (1674 bytes)

District Schools

  In 1971 the Chase County Historical Society published Volume IV of their Chase County History series in which they included information on early schools in Chase County.  I am grateful for their permission in providing the following  information which they had gathered from people who had attended the schools or lived in the locality of the schools.  Many Chase County residents gave valuable help on gathering information for this history.  The Chase County Historical Society maintains a file on each school district in their museum in Champion, Nebraska.


Districts 1 - 13

Districts 14  - 21

Districts 22 - 34

Districts 35 - 46

Districts 48 - 62

Districts 64 - 74

Districts 75 - 76

Superintendents

District 75

   The first school in this District was a sod building built in the  mid 1890's on the southeast corner of 36-8-42.  This building was used until 1902 at which time school was then held in Henry Miller's sod house.  It was later held at the  home of James Davidson's sod house.  The District had a frame building built in the early 1900's until 1945 when it closed.  The final location of the school was in section 30-8-41.  Research for this District was provided by George Smith, who also provided the following information regarding the names of teachers, when they taught, how long they taught, and wages they were paid. Note that during the Depression years the school terms were cut, and the teachers' salaries were reduced:

Rilla Peterson 1908 - 1909 $35 6 months
Dessie Eagan 1909 -1910 $42 6 months
Nora Stickels 1910 - 1911 $45 6 months
Mrs. Shutt 1911 - 1912 $45 6 months
Eva Long 1912 - 1913 $45 6 months
Opal Dagget 1913 - 1914 $50 6 months
Lois Watkins 1914 - 1915 $50 6 months
Lillie Murphy 1915 - 1916 $50 6 months
Matilda Peterson 1916 - 1917 $45 6 months
Gladys Davidson 1917 - 1918 $50 6 months
Gladys Davidson 1918 - 1919 $60 6 months
Elsie Smith 1919 - 1920 $55 7 months
Myrtle Davidson 1921 $50 3 months
Alberta Wienold 1921 - 1922 $95 7 months
Alberta Wienold 1922 - 1923 $95 7 months
Alberta Wienold 1923 - 1924 $100 7 months
Edna Myers 1924 - 1925 $90 7 months
Audrey Martin 1925 - 1926 $90 8 months
Katie Arnold 1926 - 1927 $90 8 months
Velta Spady 1927 - 1928 $90 8 months
Evelyn Watkins 1928 - 1929 $90 8 months
Evelyn Watkins 1929 - 1930 $90 8 months
Emma Jones 1930 - 1931 $90 8 months
Bleyn Johnson 1931 - 1932 $85 9 months
Lucille Swink 1932 - 1933 $75 9 months
Lucille Swink 1933 - 1934 60 8 months
Gertrude Langin 1934 - 1935 $50 8 months
Gertrude Langin 1935 - 1936 $55 8 months
Amy Olson 1936 - 1937 $55 8 months
Myrna Myers 1942 $75 2 1/2 months
Elsie Browning 1943 - 1944 $90.40 8 months
Marjorie Morse 1944 - 1945 $108.50 8 months

District 76

   Lutis Bard told researchers that the first school in this District was built in the winter of 1899.  It was about 10' by 20' with shiplap siding.  No lath or plaster were used.  A hand-made table 2' x 6' was used as a desk.  Students brought chairs from home to sit on.  There was no blackboard.  The building was heated with a two-lid laundry stove.

    The first term of school was held from march 27, 1899 to June 16, 1899.  Verda Leena Prall was the teacher.   She had two pupils, Emma Kruger and Lutis Bard, both ten years old.  Both students had perfect attendance for the term.  The director was U. G. Censer, who visited the school twice while it was in session.  The County Superintendent also visited the school.  Hazel Cooper Tallman, who taught in the district, said that the original building was eventually replaced in 1907 by patrons of the school District who donated their time and labor.

Alpha Rural High

   Alpha Rural High was located in the village of Champion.  Classes were held for the 9th and 10th grades in the north room of the basement of the grade school before a building was constructed.  A house in champion was rented at one time for the 11th and 12th grades which was attended by four students:  Elva Bauerly, Genevieve, Kilpatrick, Earl Collins (all 11th graders), and Lois Beard, who graduated as the only student to graduate from Champion High School. 

    Mary Ellen Smith began teaching the 11th and 12h grade, but was unable to get her teaching certificate to continue teaching.  Louis Spetts taught until Christmas, at which time Miss Springer (later to become Mrs. Billie Pyle) taught the remainder of the year.  After this year students for the 11th and 12th grades attended high school in Imperial. 

    The Alpha Rural High School building was constructed in 1934 and now houses the Chase County Historical Society.   Freda Smith Heim taught at the school from 1942 until 1945.  Freda told researchers that one year she taught freshman subjects and the next year sophomore subjects.  She said that the school had 3-act plays, and used the proceeds from one play to send a boy to the Mayo Clinic for medical help.  The Districts comprising the Alpha High School District were 12, 25, 44, 33 and 14.


County Superintendents of Schools

  
Name Years served
W. A. Reed 1866 - 1887
Anna M. Prall 1888 - 1889
Anna Watters 1890
Lucinda Taylor 1891
David Ogilvie 1892 - 1895
Loren Jenkins 1896
Edward Travis 1897
L. E. Rogers 1898 -1899
Ida M. Kelly Kimberling 1900 - 1903
Nellie Dick 1904 - 1907
Leccia Fletcher Seward 1908 - 1914
Evea Moreland 1915 - 1916>/td>
Addie Spangler 1917 - 1920
May S. O'Conner 1921 - 1923
Nellie Dick 1924
Mary E. Eskew Nothnagle 1925 - 1930
Millie B. Ingold 1931 - 1938
Leta Wine 1939 - 1944
Lorena A. Cook 1945 - 1954
Sylvia Zigler 1955 - 1961
Alma Diffendaffer 1962 - 1970
Charlotte Wine 1971 -


Back        Top of Page


mail to Linda Banks at FlorenceEm@AOL.com