Communities and Post Offices
The following information about towns and Post Offices established in Chase County was collected by the Chase County Historical Society over the course of their existence since 1938, and published in a series of Histories which can be purchased directly from the Society, or viewed at the Imperial Public Library which has copies in its collections in Imperial, Nebraska. Towns often grew up around post offices, and became extinct when post offices closed, or the rail road did not travel near them.
man named Martin was credited with getting the Martin Post Office established. The
first Postmaster was Andrew Nicol who took office on October 19, 18888. Mr. Martin's
homestead was in the vicinity of the Henry M. and Levi Flory.
Records show that Mr. Flory became Postmaster on March 5, 1895, however the Flory family told researchers that it was in fact Levi who served as Postmaster. On March 8, 1900, Amanda Flory, Levi's wife, became Postmaster and served until November 10, 1902, when the Post Office was closed. When Levi was busy with farm work, Amanda Flory took the mail to the train, which was making its return trip from Imperial to McCook. The train would slow down and the mail sack was tossed through the open door of the mail car. The mail clerk would then throw off a sack for Martin. One of the mail clerk's name was Bingham and one of the engineer's name was Pat Murphy. Mrs. Claude Sharp told Historical Society researchers that Levi flory lived two miles south and one and one-half miles west of the corner once called Pioneer Corner where the Pioneer School once stood. (Information provided to the Historical Society by Ceil Flory, son of Amanda and Levi Flory.)
The Pearl Post Office was established on October 11, 1888 with Henry H. Waggner serving as Postmaster. He was followed by Sherman E. McCoy who became Postmaster on October 14, 1891. A. C. Brittel took over on October 6, 1895 and held the office until Ida E. Bard became Postmaster on December 13, 1897. The Pearl Post Office was eventually moved to Perkins County on March 9, 1900.
In the fall of 1887 W. S. (Deak) Fisher, who owned the land on which Wauneta was to be
built, had the town surveyed and platted into 18 blocks -- seven on the east side and
eleven on the west side of what was to become Tecumseh Avenue, Wauneta's main
street. Some of the lots of the town were transferred to the Lincoln Land Company
for development purposes. Wauneta had a general store as early as the
summer of 1886 called the McNaul & Wisner store. The first issue of the Wauneta
Breeze was published on June 17, 1886. A Post Office was established on June 19,
1877, with Lyman Rowley serving as Postmaster. Wauneta soon after had a drug store,
hotel, livery stable, blacksmith shop and many other businesses. The town was put on
the map with the arrival of the railroad in January 28, 1982. Many additional
businesses were established at this time. Wauneta was the terminal of the railroad
for about one year. John Hann, editor of the Breeze, stated in 1887:
"Wauneta is located on the Frenchman River beside the beautiful falls of the river
between two of the best divides in Nebraska and is bound to become a prosperous
George W. Rowley became Postmaster after Lyman Rowley on July 27, 1877. James Cooper became Postmaster on November 7, 1878. The Post Office was discontinued on October 19, 1882, at which time the mail was directed to Estelle. The Post Office was again opened on August 27, 1886 and Charles A. Fisher served as Postmaster. He was followed by Edwin L. Baker on June 15, 1891, Frank C. Thorpe on October 13, 1894, John W. Hann on April 21, 1897, Cash D. Fuller on February 21, 1902, Ward C. Higley on June 18, 1914, Jennie Frazel on May 25, 1918 and Carroll C. Colbert on May 24, 1922.
Winchester was named after the home town of J. W. Hokins, which was Winchester,
Wisconsin. The Post Office of Winchester was established on August 6, 1886, with
James W. Hopkins, a civil war veteran, serving as Postmaster. He held this office
until September 24, 1890, at which time the office was discontinued and the mail was sent
to Venango. In addition to serving as Postmaster, Mr. Hopkins ran a store.
Arthur Hopkins, the oldest son of J. W. Hopkins, homesteaded across the road from Winchester. Arthur and his brothers built a blacksmith shop on his land and the older brothers taught the younger boys their trade.
Edward W. Ellis, also civil war veteran, settled at Winchester ten miles southeast of Venango the same year. Mr. Ellis was an ordained minister and conducted religious services in many homes in the area. He was also in demand for marriage ceremonies. He was described by his family as a dignified looking gentleman with a full beard. He rode a mule to officiate at weddings. Dill Ellis, one of Edward W. Ellis' sons, was at one time an editor of a paper published in Lamar. (Information provided to the Historical Society by Mrs. Ralph Shinn, a great granddaughter of J. W. Hopkins.)
email Linda Banks at: FlorenceEm@AOL.com
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids