|CHARLES DOBIE : GENEALOGY|
Dorothy Dobie's Photo Album :
Port Arthur, Ontario, c.1906-1910
Dorothy Jean Dobie was born in Port Arthur, Ontario, on July 10, 1906. She was the eldest child of
Joshua Coatsworth Dobie and Dora Lovell Meikle. Her younger brother, Edward Russell Coatsworth
Dobie (Russ), was born August 14, 1907. The photos pasted into this album are mainly of these two as infants.
A couple of photos also include their next sibling, William Lovell Dobie, who was born September 28, 1909.
Most of the photos were taken at 12 South High Street, Port Arthur, or next door at the home of Dora's parents,
John Lovell Meikle and Jeanne (Milne) Meikle.
I've divided this album page into two sections -- the first is of the photos pasted onto the album pages plus two loose photos which
are obviously of the same era. The second section contains the remaining loose photos, most unidentified, which range up
to the late 1930's or even later. I've identified the people where possible, but most are a mystery.
The album's cover is shown at the right, reduced to 40% of its size. Most of the internal pages are loose, so
there is no way to determine the original page order. They are listed here in the order in which I found them.
- Mounted Photos :
- Page One : Dorothy, age 3 years and Russell, 1 yr, 10 months, with their parents,
Dora Lovell Meikle and Joshua Coatsworth Dobie.
- Page Two : Dorothy and Russ in big hats, same age as above. These photos also appear
in the Dobie-Sutherland album on this website, and one is on page nine, below, as well.
- Page Three : Dorothy and Russ, on the steps, probably at 12 South High Street.
- Page Four : Dorothy, Russ and Bill c. 1910, and another of Dorothy and Russ, taken several years later.
- Page Five : Dorothy and Russ with a great rocking horse.
- Page Six : Dorothy, age 15 months. One is with her parents and Meikle grandparents.
- Page Seven : "Nell Dixon," Dorothy, Russell and Bill, c. 1911-12. This must be Nell Dickson, sister of Althea Dickson.
- Page Eight : Russell Dobie, Homer and Arthur Boyds.
- Page Nine : Russell (duplicate of page two) and a blurry one of Dorothy, Bill, Dora and Russ.
- Page Ten : Russell age 1 yr. 10 months, again in his large hat, and a good one of Dorothy, age three, with small wheelbarrow.
- Page Eleven : Two unidentified photos -- one of a crowd probably boarding a ship, the other probably of Dorothy in the snow.
- Page Twelve : Dorothy, age 6 weeks (a better print is in the Sutherland album above) and at 12 months.
- Page Thirteen : Two photos of Dorothy, age 13 months.
- Page Fourteen : Two photos of Russell, age 10 and 11 months, one with Dorothy, 2 years.
- Page Fifteen : Dorothy age 2 years and two of Russell, 10 and 11 months.
- Page Sixteen : Dorothy Dobie, Edith Howell and Hester Gibbs.
- Page Seventeen : Dorothy Dobie with what may be a birthday party group, and one of Russell with the Dobie cannon in the background.
- Page Eighteen : Two photos of Dorothy Dobie about age 10.
- Page Nineteen : Two photos of Dorothy Dobie's birthday party.
- Two loose photos from the album : Russ and Dorothy with their mother and grandma Meikle, and a photo of two boys, one of whom may be Russell.
- Loose Photos :
- Koller family photos.
These nine snapshots are of the Koller family of Wilmington, Delaware, and are
dated between 1925 and 1932, plus one undated group photo of the same family taken a few years later.
The other loose photos are still to come.