Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Name: Caersalem Baptist Church
Address and Location: Tyr Winch Road, St Mellons. Cardiff was previously in Monmouthshire
Date built: The first chapel was built circa 1830 and registered for worship on 3rd November 1830 and rebuilt on the present site in 1883-4 in a classical/gothic design. the foundation stone was laid on the 19th October 1883, by Alfred Thomas JP
History: The congregation first gathered in the area in 1794 and was supported by the members of Bethesda in Basaleg but it was several years before a chapel was built. However from 1794 fortnightly services were began by the minister of the Bethesda. The church is still worshiping on the site.
Registers and other records:
Where held:
Can they be consulted:
Burial ground: No graves around the present chapel but the old graveyard remains
Contact name:
Glamorgan FHS Publications: Monumental inscriptions from the old graveyard
Glamorgan record office: No
Cardiff building plans : -
National Library of Wales
Cadw Listed
Royal Commission for Ancient Monuments
Capel Listed
National Archives
Lambeth Palace Plans
Book list: Brynmor Pierce Jones. Sowing beside the Waters, pp34-6. Russell Williams, The history of St Mellons Baptist Church (1794-1984) Cardiff, 1985
Illustrations: A Bielski, The Story of St Mellons, (Port Talbot, 1985). p28
Return to:List of Buildings by area