A Partial List of Those Who Are
Buried at Old Burial Hill,
The following gravestones are located on two sides of a lower level walkway as one enters
the cemetery, using a stairway from Orne Street. Information from the Marblehead Vital
Records is noted for most, and the dates on the markers have been checked against the
published record. This list contains the names of 423 burials in the two large sections.
The oldest marker at Old Burial Hill is that for Mrs. Mary Lattimore
, wife of Christopher,
who died 8 May 1681, aged 49 years. Her stone is in a section of the cemetery other than the
two sections listed below, but her death is recorded in the Marblehead Vital Records.
Five stones from the upper cemetery are included at the end of this list, with more to
follow as time permits. The Marblehead Vital Records are incomplete, in that some records of
death do not indicate burials at Old Burial Hill for which we found markers. There are
instances of recorded burials at Old Burial Hill for which no stones are to be found. A few of
the names listed here do not appear at all in the published record. The sequence of the names
which appear here represents the order in which we found the gravestones. The rows of markers
at this cemetery are highly irregular and include many bare spots where there must have been
burials. In addition, many of the stones are difficult, or even impossible to read, due to age,
breakage, settling, or in some cases, the material from which the marker was carved.
Of interest are the "family plots". This list is divided into two parts, one for each side of
the entry path on the lower level.
Part I, Right Side of the Path:
- Archibald Selman , 17 Mar. 1778, a.63y., 6m., 17d. (Marblehead
Archibald, first s. Joseph of Great Britain, and Patience (alias Beal),
b. "about 4 of the clock in the afternoon", 24 Aug. 1714)
- Patience Selman, w. Joseph, 22 July 1768 in 72d y.
- John Pitman, s. Benjamin and Sarah, 5 Apr. 1827, a. 29y., 9m. (Marblehead Vital Records:
"Drowned"; Benjamin Pitman m. Sarah Conway, 17 Feb. 1791; Sarah Conway,
dau. John and Sarah (Laskin) Conway)
- Benjamin Knight , 27 Dec.1843, a.76y., 3m., 27d. (Marblehead Vital
Records: "Late Collector"; m. Elizabeth Selman, 28 Nov. 1789; Benjamin
Knight, s. William and Mary, bp. 6 Sept. 1767, C.R.1)
- Elizabeth Stanley, w. Thomas, dau. Archelaus and Elizabeth
Selman, 25 Nov. 1771, a.23y.
(Marblehead Vital Records: Thomas Selman m. Elizabeth Selman , 9
Jan. 1779; Elizabeth Selman,
dau. Archibald and Elizabeth, bp. 30 July 1749, C.R.1)
- Mary Selman, 28 Nov. 1800, wid. Archibald, a.78y., 1m., 12d.
(Marblehead Vital Records:
(Deaths - Mary (Gale); Mary Gale, dau. Samuel and Mary, bp. 21 Oct. 1722, C.R.1)
- Hannah Striker, w. Joseph, 26 Feb. 1758, a.25y., 4m. (Marblehead
Vital Records: Joseph Striker m. Hannah Griffin, 17 Dec. 1754; Joseph Striker son of
Samuel and Miriam Ashton, m. 7 Dec. 1724; Miriam Ashton dau. of
Samuel and Mary (Sandin, dau. Ephraim), m. 15 July 1696)
- Hannah Striker, dau. Joseph and Hannah, 10 Dec. 1757, a.4m.
- Joseph Roundy, Jr., 7 June 1823, a.43y. (Marblehead Vital Records:
- Elizabeth Dennis, w. Benjamin, 27 April 1796, a.24y., 6m. 1796
(Marblehead Vital Records: Benjamin Dennis, Jr. m. Elizabeth Roundy
, 12 Aug. 1792)
- Mr. John P. Wyman, 13 Jan. 1818, a.43y. (Marblehead Vital Records,
"consumption", 24 Jan. 1818; John P. Wyman m. Sarah Dennis, 1 Nov. 1801
- John Blackler Selman,29 Oct. 1814, a.37y.(Marblehead Vital Records:
s. Capt. John and Deborah, of a "lingering disorder", 25 Nov. 1814; John Selman m. Deborah
Girdler, 17 Dec. 1765; John Blackler Selman s. John and Deborah,
bp. 5 July 1778, C.R.2)
- Mr. Elias Hulin, 1809, a.75y. (Marblehead Vital
Records: "in an advanced age", 2 Aug.1808; Elias Hulin
m. Elizabeth Selman, 2 Feb. 1762)
- Elizabeth Selman, w. Archibald, 10 July 1759, a.38y.:
(Marblehead Vital Records: Archibald Selman m.
Elizabeth Blackler, 11 Jan. 1738-9; Elizabeth Blacker,
dau. John and Elizabeth, bp. 20 Aug. 1721, C.R.1)
- Eunice Selman, wid. Samuel, 14 Feb. 1792, a.57y., 4m.
(Marblehead Vital Records: Samuel Selman m. [Mrs.,
int.] Eunice Grist, 13 Aug. 1769)
- Thomas Standley, 1809, a.37y. (Marblehead Vital
Records: "At home, has been confined", 22 Sept. 1809;
Thomas Standley, s. Joseph and Elizabeth, bp. 17 Nov.
- Mary Owens Dodd, dau. Thomas and Mary, 4 Oct. 1823,
a.15y., 10m. (Marblehead Vital Records: Mary Owen
Dodd, dau. Thomas and Mary, bp. 27 Dec. 1807, C.R.1)
- Susanna Goodwin, w. James, Jr., dau. Thomas and
Mary Dodd, 29 Oct. 1823, a.20y. (Marblehead Vital
Records: James Goodwin, Jr., m. Susanna Dodd, 5
June 1823; Susanna Goodwin, dau. (twin) Thomas and
Mary, bp. 2 Oct. 1803, C.R.1)
- (Three Dennis daughters), 1802
- Mrs. Elizabeth Patten, w. Capt. John, 12 Feb. 1827,
a.73y. (Marblehead Vital Records: "suddenly")
- W. Bartoll, 8th Mass. Infantry
- Abigail Bartlett, 6 Nov. 1817, a.28y., 10m. (Marblehead
Vital Records: Wife of Capt. John, 4th, "consumption";
John Bartlett, 4th, m. Abigail Union, 6 June 1816)
- James Aborn, 28 Sept. 1803, a.57y. (Marblehead Vital
Records: James Aborn m. Hannah Dove, 21 Mar. 1771)
- Mrs. Hannah Nowland, w. Andrew, 6 Jan.1793, a.21y.
(Marblehead Vital Records: Andrew Nowland m. Hannah
"Aborns", 31 May 1792; Hannah "Ebens", dau. James
and Hannah, bp. 2 Feb. 1772, C.R.1)
- Mary Bailey, wid. Capt. John, 13 May 1840, a. 79y.,
7m., 13d. (Marblehead Vital Records: John Bailey m.
Mary Huling, 13 Feb. 1783)
- Augusta/Caroline (__?__) 1869
- Susanna Dodd, wid. Capt. Thomas, 20 Nov. 1825, a.75y.
(Marblehead Vital Records: Thomas Dodd m. Susanna
Dennis, 26 Sept. 1769)
- James Dennis, 1818 (Marblehead Vital Records: s.
John D. and Lois, "in the schooner with Capt.
Stevenson", rec. 6 Sept. 1819; John Dennis m. Lois
Hibbert, 30 Aug. 1789)
- William Thompson, 6 Dec. 1841, a.84y., 7m.
(Marblehead Vital Records: William Thompson, s.
Benjamin and Margarett, bp. 22 May 1757, C.R.1)
- Sarah Louise Bartol, 16 Jan. 1844 (Marblehead Vital
Records: dau. William T. and Sally, "croup", a.6y.;
William T. "Bartoll" m. Sarah L. Selman, 21 Apr. 1835)
- Charles Chadwick, __ Sept. 1815, a.41y. (Marblehead
Vital Records: "Sailed in August last in a schooner
belonging to Mr. Samuel Knight for the Grand Bank and
never heard of since", rec. 24 Feb. 1816)
- Michael Haskell, s. Capt. Thomas and Mary, 22 Mar.
1819 (Marblehead Vital Records: "lockjaw")
- George Carew, 13 Aug. 1750 (Marblehead Vital Records:
"Of Barbadoes, late from Jamaica, 15 Aug. 1750,
- Capt. Wm. Haskell, s. Mark and Ruth, 1 Jan.1798,
a.24y., 11m. (Marblehead Vital Records: William
Haskell, s. Mark and Ruth, bp. 31 Jan. 1773, C.R.3;
Mark Haskell m. Ruth Coomes, 18 June 1751; See Nos.
40 and 41)
- Mr. James Harris, s. Capt. John and Mary, 8 May 1788,
in 21st y. (Marblehead Vital Records: James Harris, s.
John and Mary, bp. 31 June 1766, C.R.1)
- Martha Roundy (Marblehead Vital Records: Wife of
Elijah W., 5 Oct.1806, a.23y., 3m.; Elijah Roundy m.
Martha Jackson, 28 July 1805; Martha Jackson, dau.
Thomas and Mary, bp. 3 Aug. 1783, C.R.2)
- Joseph Curtis, 28 Dec. 1804, a.48y. (Marblehead Vital
Records: Joseph Curtis, s. Richard and Hannah, bp. 31
Oct. 1756, C.R.1; Richard Curtis m. Hannah Knights, 3
- Margaret Nurse, dau. Benjamin and Margaret, 24 Aug.
1778, a.1y., 2m.
- J. Curtis (Footstone, See #37)
- Mrs. Ruth Haskell, wid. Mark, 28 Aug. 1811, in 85h y.
(Marblehead vital Records: "At the Ferry")
- Mark Haskell, 28 Aug. 1811, in 84th y. (Marblehead
Vital Records: "At the Ferry"; Mark Haskell, s. Mark and
Susanna, bp. 16 Mar. 1728-9, C.R.1)
- Capt. William Haskell (Marblehead Vital Records: s.
Mark and Ruth, 1 Jan. 1798, a.24y., 11m.)
- Mrs. Jane Haskell
- Benjamin Hooper, s. Benjamin and Susanna, 6 May
1796, a. 10y., 7m. (Marblehead Vital Records:
Benjamin Hooper m. Susanna Wilson, 6 Mar. 1785)
- Sam (?) __?__ster 1822
- Susanna Hooper, 1796
- Joseph Meservey, 1892
- Sarah Swett, 1815-48 (Marblehead Vital Records:
"Sarah Salter Swett "Messervy", w. Joseph W. H.
"Messervy", b. ___, 1815, d. ___, 1848"; Sarah Swett,
dau. Samuel, deceased, and Sarah, bp. 7 July 1815,
- Elizabeth Russell, 7 June 1818, a.60y. (Marblehead
Vital Records: Wid. Samuel, butcher, 8 June 1818)
- John Doliber, 1880
- Francis Doliber, 1887
- Thaddeus Ridden, 6 Jan. 1690, a.66y.
- Abigail Hawkins, 20 April 1751, in 83rd y. (Note:
Marblehead Vital Records has Joan "Hawkins" m John
Riddan, 12 Mar. 1692, and they named a son
- Mrs. Ruth Bartlett, w. John, 4 Feb. 1803, a.52y.
(Marblehead Vital Records: John Bartlett m. Ruth
Phillips of Lynn, at Lynn, 26 May 1778)
- Wm. Hawley, 6 Dec. 1741, a.21y., s. Richard and Mary
(Marblehead vital Records: William Hawley, s. Richard
and Mary, bp. 18 Dec. 1720, C.R.1)
- Richard Hawley, 1 Oct. 1698, in 63rd y.
- John Power, 2d., s. John and Mary, 18 July 1801,
- Thomas 25 Aug., 1796, a.62y., 8m.
- Mary Anderton, w. Thomas, 29 Nov. 1793, a.52y., 8m.
- David R. Pierce, 1824-1906 (Marblehead Vital Records:
David Ropes "Peirce", s. David R. and Tabitha, bp. 3 Apr.
1825, C.R.1; David R. Pierce m. Tabatha P. Green, 31
- George Cash, 11 Jan. 1838, a.81y., 10m. (Marblehead
Vital Records: "A Revolutionary Pensioner"; George
Pitman Cash and Eleanor Sweetland, m. int., 3 Aug.
1776; George Pittman Cash, s. James and Ruth, bp. 28
Mar. 1756, C.R.1; James Cash m. Ruth Pittman, 6 Dec.
- Hannah Atkins, w. Robert, 4 Nov. 1839, a.56y., 1m.
(Marblehead Vital Records: Robert G. (Giles), m.
Hannah Cash, 14 Dec. 1806; Hannah Cash, dau. George
and Eleanor, bp. 26 Oct. 1783, C.R.1)
- Tabitha Green Pierce (Marblehead Vital Records:
Tabitha Green m. Benjamin "Pearce", 30 July 1767)
- James Edgecomb, 7 July 1704, in 17th y. (Marblehead
Vital Records: James Edgecomb, s. Rachel, bp. With 2
siblings, Judith and Nicholas, 24 Apr. 1692, C.R.1)