Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

Morris & Co. Directory & Gazetteer of

Newland and Tythings 1876

 

NEWLAND is an extensive parish comprising the tythings of BREAM, CLEARWELL, COLEFORD, and NEWLAND, in Monmouth union, and LEA BAILEY, in Ross union, containing altogether, by the census of 1861, 5147, and in 1871, 5258 inhabitants, and 8470 acres. The rateable value of the whole parish is £19,798.

NEWLAND is a tything of the above parish, containing by the census of 1861, 676 inhabitants, but in the census returns of 1871 the population is not given seperately; in the south division of the deanery of the Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of St. Briavels, West Gloucestershire; 2 1/2 miles south-west from Coleford Railway Station on the Severn and Wye Railway, 4 south-east from Monmouth and 7 north-west from Lydney. The vicarage, with the curacy of Redbrook attached is valued at £488 per annum, with residence, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. William Smith, M.A., and the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a handsome edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, north, centre, and south aisles, with tower surmounted by pinnacles, and containing a peal of six bells. It was restored in 1862, and three handsome memorial windows placed therein to the Du Carel family, to the Rev. Thomas Birt, and Miss Fortescue-Brickdale; there is also one to Lieut. C. J. Brickdale, R.N. Since then the east window has been filled with stained glass, at the cost of Mrs. Palmer, and two memorial windows have been added to the memory of Mr. and Mrs. Brickdale, and the late vicar, the Rev. G. Ridout. The churchyard contains two very interesting monuments, one dated 1458 is an altar tomb, with the recumbent figure on the top of John de Yrall (or Wyrall), Forester in Fee. Round the sides of the tomb is this inscription in old characters: - "Here lyeth: Ion: Wyrall: Forster: of: Fee: the: whych: dysesdy: on: the: VIII: day: of: September: in: ye: yeare: of our Lorde : M.CCCC.LVIII.: on: hys: God: have: Mercy: Amen." The other monument has a tracing on it of the King's Bowbearer, but the date is unknown. The cross in the churchyard, which was used in mediaeval times as a preaching station, has been restored. In the church are two very perfect statues of Ecclesiastics in their vestments. A Grammar School was founded and endowed by Mr. Edward Bell, in 1627, for the education of twelve boys belonging to this parish free, who are elected by the trustees at their half-yearly meetings; it will shortly be transferred to more commodious premises at Coleford. Mr. Bell also founded an Endowed Almshouses for four men and four women. Mr. William Jones, a member of the Haberdashers' Company, in London, founded Almshouses for eight men and eight women, and appointed that Company the Trustees, to which he also attached a Lectureship, which is held by the Rev. William Bagnall Oakley, M.A.

REDBROOK is a hamlet of this tything, comprising UPPER and LOWER REDBROOK, which will be the first Station on the Wye Valley Railway between Monmouth and Chepstow, now rapidly approaching completion. It contains an Iron Foundry, Tin Plate Works, Flour Mill, and Brewery, and the facilities afforded by Railway communication will no doubt tend to the improvement of the village. A church, dedicated to Our Saviour, with schools attached, has lately been erected. The Wesleyans have a place of worship here.

BREAM is a tything of the above parish, in the same jurisdictions; 1 and a half miles from Whitecroft Station on the Severn and Wye Railway, 4 north-west from Lydney Station on the South Wales Railway, 4 and a half south from Coleford, 8 south-east from Monmouth, and 15 south from Ross. It was formed in 1854 into a seperate Ecclesiastical district or parish, including this tything and a portion of West Dean, and contained by the census of 1861, in Bream, 824, and in West Dean, 1259, making a total of 2088; and in 1871, in Breem, 907, and in West Dean, 1519, making a total of 2426 inhabitants. The district is scattered, and contains many distinct groups of houses, each group having a name: those in Bream tything being Pasture Hill, Colliers Beach, Brockhollands, and Oakwood; and those in West Dean, Clavarands Green, Drybrook, Clements Tump, Mill Hill, Bream Eaves, Bream Woodside, and Yorkley Wood. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Fredk. Goaling, M.A., is valued at £800 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church, dedicated to St. James, consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle, and was partly rebuilt in 1861. There is also a Mission House, at Yorkley Wood, connected with the church. The Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans have places of worship here. There are National Schools for children of both sexes, accommodating about 800. There are some extensive Coal and Iron Mines and Quarries in this neighbourhood.

CLEARWELL is a tything of this parish, in the same jurisdictions, which with part of the township of West Dean was formed into a separate Ecclesiastical district or parish in 1856, and contained by the census of 1861, in Clearwell, 816, and in West Dean, 428, making a total of 1244; and in 1871, in Clearwell, 781, and in West Dean, 594, making a total of 1325 inhabitants, and 2492 acres of land; 2 1/2 miles south from Coleford, 18 south from Ross, on the road from Lydney to Monmouth, 6 miles from each place. The name was formerly written Clowerwall, and it has also been called Wellington, but its present name is derived from a beautiful spring of clear water which rises in the village. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Howard Lewis Parry, is valued at £800 per annum, with residence, which was erected in 1858. The church is a beautiful edifice, in the style of the 18th century, dedicated to St. Peter, and was erected at the expense of the late Dowager Countess of Dunraven, and consecrated on the 5th April, 1866. "It is built of the local red sandstone, with Bath stone dressings, and comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with organ chamber and vestry on the north side, and a tower with four bells, and spire at the south-west angle; above the nave is a clerestory with rose windows; the chancel is entered through a bold moulded archway, and is lighted by an east window with four lights and two two-light windows on the south side, and has a credence table, sedilia and richly ornamented reredos, the latter erected to the memory of the Hon. William Henry Wyndham Quin, by his widow; the east window, of painted glass, representing scriptural subjects, was erected to the memory of the same gentleman, by his mother, the late Dowager Countess of Dunraven. The pulpit is enriched with symbolical panels and medallions of the heads of Evangelists and Prophets, the ground being exquisitely diapered; the baptistry, which is formed under the tower, has an octagonal font, on a shaft of polished red granite, above which is a cluster of water lilies, and around the sides of the font symbols of sacred personages." The roof of the church is beautifully stencilled. The churchyard is tastefully planted with Yew and Arbor Vitoe. The building of this church having been some years in contemplation, the late Mr. William Yarworth had a block of stone taken from his own quarries, as a shaft, but it was afterwards found to be too short for the purpose; but not liking to disappoint the good intentions of Mr. Yarworth, Lady Dunraven gave instruction for the stone to be placed at an angle at the base. There is a National School for children of both sexes, which was erected in 1858, principally at the expense of the Countess of Dunraven. A neat mortuary chapel stands on the site of the former church, the burial ground of which was formed into a cemetery in 1866; it has recently been enlarged by half an acre. The cross, situate at the junction of three roads, is an interesting object, supposed to be of the 14th century, and was restored by the late Countess of Dunraven in 1866. The Cottage Hospital, built and endowed by the same lady, is a neat building, consisting of two wards for males and females, containing 3 beds in each ward, a kitchen, offices, and two convalescent rooms, with a small surgery; its cost was about £1000, and it was opened for the admission of patients on the 1st November, 1869.

CLEARWELL COURT, the property of the Wyndham-Quin family, was erected in the early part of the last century. Rudder, in his history of Gloucestershire (1779), says:- "This estate was afterwards vested in Francis Wyndham, Esq., descended from the ancient family of that name, in Somersetshire, and passed from him to Thomas Whndham, Esq., whose son, Charles Wyndham, Esq., is present proprietor of Clowerwall, where he has a very handsome house built by his father in the Gothic style, and a park, with a large estate and fine plantations. It formerly belonged to the Throckmortons, of Fortworth, and previous to that family it was in the possession of Thomas ap. Enion alias Baynham, who was High Sheriff of Gloucestershire, 18 E., 4." Former owners of the estate, each in succession, were the Joyces, the Grinders, or Grindours, and the Walwyns. The present heir-at-law is a minor, and the place is not at present occupied by the family.

ELLWOOD is a hamlet 1 and a quarter miles east, partly in this district and partly in that of St. Paul's West Dean. There is a mission Chapel in connection with the parish church, and the Primitive Methodists have just erected a place of worship here.

STOWE is a small hamlet about 1 and a half mile distant, which takes its name from the Scowles, or ancient Roman Iron Workings, which form so interesting a feature in this and other parts of the Forest. There is a Mission Chapel in connection with the parish church, and a school supported by Miss Fortescue-Brickdale.

WHITECLIFF is another small hamlet, about 1 mile hence, partly in this tything and partly in that of Newland. There is a National School, which is also used for the celebration of divine service.

LEA BAILEY is a tything of this parish, in Ross union, containing, by the census of 1861, 231, and in 1871, 253 inhabitants. It forms a portion of the Ecclesiastical district of Holy Trinity, East Dean, and consists chiefly of scattered groups of houses, lying between Cinderford and Mitcheldean Road Station on the Ross and Hereford Railway.

LITTLE DEAN HILL commands some beautiful views of the surrounding country and the Valley of the Severn.

 

NEWLAND

Clergy, Gentry and Private Residents

BLANDY Frederic, Esq., J.P., Birchamp house

CURTIS Miss H., South lodge

DIGHTON Capt. John Henry, J.P., Oak house

FORTESCUE-BRICKDALE Miss Mary, Dark house

KYNNERSLEY William H. Sneyd, Esq., Oak house

OAKELEY Rev. William Bagnall, M.A., lecturer of Jones Almshouses

PALMER Charles Thomas, Esq., J.P., Newland house

PALMER Mrs. Elizabeth Finch, Newland house

TAYLOR Miss Elizabeth, The Cottage

TAYLOR Mr. James

WHEREAT Rev. Reginald H., B.A., Grammar school

 

Trades and Professions

BRITTLEBANK AND SONS, farmers, Valley farm

CARVER James, blacksmith

DUNSCOMBE James, farm bailiff

HARRIS James, farmer, Spout farm

HARRIS William, basket maker

HEATH John, farmer, Tan house

MONK Mrs. Emma Sophia, "Ostrich" inn

MORGAN Robert, commercial traveller, Whitecliffe

POLLEY James, carpenter and wheelwright

ROBINSON William, farmer, Valley house

ROOMS Frank, sub-postmaster

TAYLOR Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer, Whitecliff

TAYLOR Thomas T., farmer, Whitecliff

VAUGHAN Richard, farmer, Mill End farm

WORGAN John, farmer, Cherry Orchard farm

Post Office - Frank Rooms, sub-postmaster. Letters through Coleford delivered at 7.45 a.m., dispatched at 6.45 p.m., on week days only. Coleford is the nearest money order office.

Grammar School - Rev. Reginald H. Whearat, B.A., head master.

 

UPPER REDBROOK

HOWELL Mrs. Susan, The Elms

Trades and Professions

BRAIN William, brewery manager

BURGHAM Mrs. Eliza, ale and porter brewer and malster, Monmouth and Redbrook brewery

BURGHAM Thomas, iron and brass founder, Redbrook foundry

COURTEEN Thomas, corn merchant, miller and malster, Wye Valley Flour mills

DAVIES John, "Queen's Head" inn

DAVIES Mrs. Mary, miller, Redbrook Flour mills

FOXWELL George, farmer, Duffields farm

GROVES James, baker and shopkeeper

JONES Philip, butcher, "Bush" inn

MOORE Theophilus, miller, Upper Mill

PAYNE Henry, wheelwright and blacksmith

WEARE Edward, "Founders' Arms" inn

WILLIAMS William, blacksmith and sub-postmaster

 

LOWER REDBROOK

BEARD Mr. Thomas, Coxbury

Trades and Professions

BEARD James, "Bell" inn

BEARD William, farmer, Coxbury farm

HARPER William, painter and glazier

HARRIS James, Jun., farmer, Glyn farm

HUDSON John, timber dealer, shopkeeper, and deputy parish clerk

HUDSON Thomas, millstone manufacturer, The Crow

HUDSON Thomas, shipwright

LATHAM John, farmer, Highbury farm

NURSE David (firm of Redbrook Tin Plate Company); h. Redbrook House

NURSE George (firm of Redbrook Tin Plate Company), Redbrook House

NURSE William (firm of Redbrook Tin Plate Company)

PRICE Mrs., farmer, Wye seal

REDBROOK TIN PLATE COMPANY, iron and tin plate manufacturers, Redbrook Tin Plate Works - George Nurse, managing partner

THOMAS Thomas, "King's Head" inn

National School, Lower Redbrook - Miss Annie Terrey, mistress.

Post Office, Upper Redbrook - William Williams, sub-postmaster. Letters through Monmouth delivered at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. Monmouth is the nearest money order and telegraph office.

 

BREAM

Clergy and Gentry

CAMPBELL Sir James, Bart., Whitemead park

GOSLING Rev. John Frederick, M.A., vicar, The Vicarage

HUGHES Mr.James, Bream lodge

KEAR Mr. Matthew

 

Trades and Professions

AMES James, blacksmith

AMES Thomas, grocer and draper, Highbury house

CAMM William, manager for Mr. Philip Jones, London house

DEAN FOREST IRON COMPANY, coal and iron proprietors, Park Hill Level Colliery - Solomon Jones, manager

DOBBS John, builder, carpenter, and wheelwright

DUNNING Robert N., colliery manager, Brockhollands

EAMER John Gould, colliery proprietor, Certainty Level Colliery - Benjamin James, manager

HARPER Thomas, haulier

HARPER Thomas Jun., haulier

HEIGHWAY Richard Tilsley, grocer, draper, and sub-postmaster, Post Office

HEWLETT Mrs. Jane, "New Inn"

HEWLETT AND PHILIPS, farmers and hauliers, Court farm

HEWLETT Mrs. Rachel, farmer

HEWLETT Thomas, haulier

HILL Thomas, highway rate collector, Ryelands terrace

JAMES Benjamin, colliery manager

JAMES William, iron ore proprietor, Blistors house

JONES Philip, grocer and draper, London house - William Camm, manager; and at Park End and Yorkley

JONES William, farmer, Pasture Hill farm

LAWRENCE Miss Sarah Jane, ladies' boarding and day school, The Hollies

MORGANS AND CO., wood distillers and chemical manufacturers, Whitecroft Chemical Works

MORSE James, farmer and shopkeeper, High Beech, Breem Woodside

MORSE James, Jun., farmer, Bream Woodside

MORSE Thomas, "Rising Sun" inn

MUSGROVE Samuel, miller, Oakwood mills, and "Oakwood" inn

THOMAS Edward, general dealer

THOMAS Henry, haulier and farmer, Whitecroft Turn out

WATKINS Mrs. Ellen Eliza, shopkeeper

WILDIN George H., beer retailer

WILLIAMS John, grocer and draper

WINTOUR George, "Cross Keys" inn

Post Office - Richard T. Heighway, postmaster. Letters through Lydney delivered at 8 a.m., and North Mail (to callers only), at 10 a.m.; dispatched North Mail at 6 p.m., and London and General Mail at 6.15 p.m., on week days only. Money orders granted and paid, and savings bank business transacted, and dog and gun licenses issued from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

National School, Bream Green - Augustus Dickson, master; Mrs. Mary Dickson, mistress; Miss Selina Durnell, infant's mistress.

 

CLEARWELL

Clergy and Gentry

LANGHAM Mrs. Diana, Mill End house

PARRY Rev. Howard Lewis, M.A., vicar, The Vicarage

 

Trades and Professions

ATKINSON George, civil and mining engineer, and colliery and iron mine proprietor, Perry Grove house

BEACH William, carpenter

BROOKES William, haulier

COLE William, "Wyndham Arms" inn

CONSTANT Wm. Worgan, "Butchers Arms" inn and farmer

DAVIES Richard, cooper

DORRINGTON Thomas, haulier

EVANS George, butcher

HILL John, parish clerk, Clearwell Mesne

HUNT Jonathan, farmer

JOHNSON Edward S., National Schoolmaster

JONES Edmund, carpenter and wheelwright

MATTHEWS Richard, baker and shopkeeper

MILES Henry, farmer, Court farm

MILES James, farmer, Longney farm

MILES John, farmer

MILES Thomas, blacksmith, Shophouse

MILES William, farmer

MUDWAY Wm. John, beer retailer, Stowe green

PAYNE Edwin R., stone proprietor and farmer, Platwell house

REES Alfred, grocer, baker, and draper

RICHARDS Thomas, shoemaker

SMITH James, beer retailer

SMITH William, beer retailer

STONES Frederick J., gentlemen's boarding and day school, Stowe hall

STONES Mrs. Frederick J., ladies boarding and day school, Stowe hall

TAYLOR Thomas, saddler and harness maker

TEAGUE Hubert, farmer, Caudwell

TEAGUE James, farmer, Trow Green farm

THOMAS George, farmer

THORNE John, shoemaker

VAUGHAN Wyndham, civil engineer, Rosebank, Mill end

WATKINS Edward, painter and glazier

WHERRETT Daniel, farmer, Lambsquay farm

WHERRETT James, farmer

WILLIAMS Edwin, tailor

WILLIAMS Henry, stone merchant, baker, shopkeeper, and sub-postmaster, Post Office

YARWORTH Thomas, stone merchant and farmer, Dean pool

YARWORTH William, farmer and haulier, Ellwood

YORK Thomas, blacksmith

Post Office - Henry Williams, sub-postmaster. Letters through Coleford delivered at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 6.40 p.m. on week days only. Coleford is the nearest money order and telegraph office.

National School - Edward S. Johnson, master; Mrs. Mary Roberts, sewing mistress.

 

LEA BAILEY

BARTLETT James, Esq., St. Annal's lodge

 

Trades and Professions

BARTLETT James, physician and surgeon, St. Annal's lodge

BENT George, shopkeeper

BRISCOE Hy., carpenter and joiner, "Royal Oak" inn

DAVIS Thomas, farmer, Bailey side

DAWSON George, "Royal Foresters" inn, Little Dean Hill

HOOK Caleb, timber dealer and carpenter, Bailey side

MOUNTJOY Joseph, butcher and farmer

ORGAN Elijah, mason, Little Dean hill

ROBINS Joseph, haulier, Causeway

ROE William, tailor and assistant overseer

SCUDAMORE John, farmer

SMITH William, farmer, Knacker's hole

TEAGUE Cornelius Edward, haulier

TEAGUE George, haulier

TURNER Thos., farmer, Dean Common farm

Back