Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

Morris & Co. Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of

Newent 1876

 

NEWENT is a parish and market town in the union to which it gives its name, containing, by the census of 1861, 3182, and in 1871, 3168 inhabitants, and 8019 acres; in the northern division of the deanery of the Forest; archdeaconry of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Botloe, West Gloucestershire, for which it is a polling place; 9 miles north-west from Gloucester, 9 east from Ross, 8 south from Ledbury, and 111 from London, on the banks of the small river Ell, a feeder of the Leadon, on the Herefordshire and Gloucestershire Canal, and on the proposed line of Railway from Gloucester to Ledbury, for which an Act of Parliament has been obtained. The name of this place was acquired during the time of Edward the Confessor, and was derived from a solitary house, the "New Inn," which was the only one in existence at the time; the communication with Wales was opened by this route, and built for the accommodation of those travelling that road. It has been spelt in ancient documents Noent, and Nuentz. The manor was granted by William the Conqueror to the Abbey of Cormeilles, in Normandy, and this place became a Benedictine Cell of Priory of that house, which also held numerous other lordships in the neighbourhood. This manor was seized by Edward 3rd, and Henry 4th, afterwards endowed Fotheringhay College with it, to which it belonged at the time of the dissolution, when it was granted to Sir Richard Lee. The town increased in importance, and became a borough, governed by a bailiff, and consisted of 9 streets or lanes, but now consists chiefly of one long street. The town and neighbourhood are noted for the production of cheese, cider and perry. There are several mineral springs in the neighbourhood, possessing similar qualities to Cheltenham and Gloucester waters. Petty Sessions are held every Monday at the Market House, and the County Court is held there every alternate month. The Market House, in the centre of the town, is a fine old specimen of the Elizabethan timber work style of the 16th century; it has been thoroughly restored by the lord of the manor, Richard Foley Onslow, Esq. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Benjamin Ruck Keene, B.A., and the patronage of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge; the tithes were commuted at 1,544 pounds per annum, with residence, and about one acre of glebe land. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is a noble edifice, which was erected from the design of Thomas Taylor, architect; it has a handsome tower, containing a peal of six bells, surmounted by a spire, the top of which was blown down in 1662, and the whole of the roof of the nave fell in, after the celebration of divine service on Sunday, the 29th January, 1673. It was rebuilt in 1678, sixty tons of timber from the Forest having been granted by Charles 2ns, for that purpose. It is about to be restored, and subscriptions are being made towards the fund. Sir Gilbert Scott states:- "The church, previous to the reign of King Charles 2nd, seems to have consisted of a nave, with a north aisle of about equal width with itself, and a tower of the early part of the 14th century, attached to the north-western part of this aisle, forming also a porch, and also of a chancel with a north aisle or chapel attached to and connected by arches to the nave and its aisle. At the time I have named, the nave and its aisle where wholly rebuilt without pillars and arches, which had divided them the one from the other, the whole indeed being made to form one square structure facing eastwards, not to the chancel and its side chapel severally, but to the east end of this united nave, without any particular reference to the chancel, and fitted up as one square nave. The architectural character of this nave is a sort of union between the Elizabethan and revival classis of Sir C. Wren's time, the walls and windows being of the former, and the opening into the chancel and chapel being of the latter style. The roof is of wide span, and has beneath it a flat plaster ceiling. The same Elizabethan character has also been extended along the south side of the chancel." The Congregationalists have a place of worship here, which was erected in 1846, and will accommodate about 300 persons, there is a commodious schoolroom, and a burial ground in the rear. The Wesleyans have also a neat Gothic chapel, which was erected in 1855, and will accommodate about 150, with a schoolroom at the rear; the first chapel of that denomination having been built on the opposite side of the street in 1815. There are National and Infant Schools for children of both sexes. The Cemetery, which was opened in 1864, extends over an area of nearly 2 acres, and contains two neat mortuary chapels, with a house for the lodge-keeper. There are almshouses for 6 poor men, and the same number of women. The market day was formerly on a Friday, but it has been discontinued, and monthly stock markets are held instead on the first Tuesday in each month, and cattle fairs are held on the Wednesdays before Easter and Whit Sundays, and statutes for hiring servants are held on the first Friday after the 19th September, and the two following Fridays. The rateable value of this parish is £15,855.

MAY HILL (formerly called YARTLEDON HILL), is partly in this parish, and affords some splendid views of the surrounding country from its summit.

GORSLEY and CLIFFORDS MESNE are two hamlets of this parish, which in 1872 were formed into a separate ecclesiastical district, having a population of about 1320. There are schools in each of the hamlets, in which divine service is held, the one at Gorsley having been erected in 1872, and the one at Cliffords Mesne about 12 years since. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £206 per annum, in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Sankey, B.A., and the patronage of the vicars of Newent and Linton, the former having two turns and the latter one.

BOULSDON is a tything of this parish, in which were formerly some coalpits, which are now worked out.

COMPTON, CUGLEY, KILCOTE, and MALSWICK are also tythings of this parish.

 

Clergy, Gentry and Private Residents

BISCO Mrs. Fanny, Culvert street

BROWN Mrs. Comfort, High street

CADLE Mr. William, Line house

COOKE Charles James, Esq., Old court

DOWDING Mr. James, High street

EDMONDS Edmund, Esq., The Holts

FROWDE James Henry, Esq., Waldon court

GREGORIE Mrs. Eleanor St. Barbe, The Parks

HALLIGEY Rev. John T. F. (Wesleyan), Culvert street

HANKINS Edward, Esq., Mount Pleasant

HARRIS Rev. William (Congregational), The Manse, Culvert street

HATTON Mr. William, Church street

HENNIKER Captain, New Court

HILL Mr. John, High street

HORNSBY Mrs. Helen, High Street

KEENE Rev. Benjamin Ruck, B.A., vicar, and chaplain to the Union Workhouse, The Vicarage

LETTEY Mrs. Sarah, High street

LUCY John, Esq., Culvert street

MAN James L., Esq., Bury Bar house

MARSHALL William North, Esq., Church st

MORTIMER Mr. William, Newton villa

ONSLOW Richard Foley, Esq., D.L., J.P., Stardens

OWEN Arthur, Esq., Church street

OWEN Miss Emma, Boulsdon croft

PONTIFEX Russell, Esq., Sandy Way house

PRICE John Edwards, Esq., High street

PROBYN Mr. Charles, High street

PROBYN Mr. Thomas, High street

RUDGE Mrs. Elizabeth, Gloucester street

RUDGE John Edmund, Esq., Great Boulsdon villa

SANKEY Rev. Edward Henry, B.A., vicar of Gorsley with Clifford's Mesne, Clifford's Mesne

SCOTT James Hamilton, Esq., M.D., The villa

SHERRATT Mrs. Elizabeth, Southend house

THURSTON Mr. Henry, Broad street

THURSTON Mr. Joseph, Culvert street

WHITE Rev. Joseph, Church street

WILLCOCKS Mr. John Cuming, Market place

WOOD John, Esq., Ford house

 

Trades and Professions

ABRAHALL George, farmer, Ravenshill farm

ADAMS James, carpenter and joiner, Culvert street

ADDIS James, carrier, Church street

APPERLEY George, shopkeeper, Clifford's Mesne

ASTON William, manager of Oxenhall Colliery, The Ford

BAILEY Thomas, saddler and harness maker, Broad street

BAILEY William, haulier, Culvert street

BALDWIN William, mason and shopkeeper, Church street

BARON John, beer retailer, Wharf street

BARON William, tinplate-worker and parish clerk, Church street

BEARD Richard, shoemaker, Little Ford house

BECKETT William Henry, auctioneer and valuer, Culvert street

BIDMEADE John, mason, Southend lane

BIRT Harford, tailor and toy dealer, Broad street

BISCO Mrs. Charlotte, boot and shoemaker, and postmistress, Church street

BISCO William, builder, Garden cottage, Church street

BLAKEMORE William, haulier, Clifford's Mesne

BOULTON William, haulier, Ivy cottage, Clifford's Mesne

BOWKETT Miss Ellen, dressmaker, Bury Bar Lane

BOWKETT Sidney, wharfinger, Wharf street

BRACE William, carpenter, Clifford's Mesnw

BROOKES Thomas, wheelwright and blacksmith, Malswick

BRUTON Edward, draper, hosier, and haberdasher, High street

BUCKLE Frederick, confectioner, High street

BUNN Edwin, photographer, and manager of Gas Works, Watery Lane

BURGUM Robert, cattle dealer and grazier, Woodland house, Kilcote

BUTT John, shopkeeper, Culvert street

BYARD George, beer retailer, Culvert street

BYARD Thomas, excavator, Gloucester street

CHARLES John, bootmaker, Culvert street

CHIDLEY Frank, butcher, High street

CLARK Arthur, printer and bookbinder, Broad street and Church street

CLARK James, fruit dealer and butcher, Okle green

CLARKE Charles, farmer, Conigre court

CLARKE Miss Harriet Sophia, National schoolmistress, Ross road

COOK Charles, farmer, Ploddie house

COOKE Charles, shopkeeper, May villa, Clifford's Mesne

COOKE Charles James, solicitor, commissioner in Chancery, Common Law, clerk to the magistrates, the commissioner of land and income taxes, the Highway Board and the Burial Board, registrar of County Court, and agent to the Law Union Fire and Life Insurance Co., Old court

COOKE James, baker and corn factor, High street

COWMEADOW William, ironmonger and blacksmith, High street

CREASE Charles Elisha and John Pocock, drapers, clothiers, hatters, and general outfitters, Waterloo house, Church street

CREASE Charles Elisha (firm of Charles Elisha and John Pocock Crease); h. Church street

CREASE John Pocock (firm of Charles Elisha and John Pocock Crease); h. Culvert Street house

CROMWELL Mrs. Alice Elizabeth, patent medicine vendoe, perfumer, and stationer, Market place

CROMWELL Edward, leather seller, boot and shoemaker, and earthenware dealer, Broad street

CROOK George William, farmer, Blackhouse

CUE Mrs. Elizabeth, milliner and strawbonnet maker, Broad street

CUE James, grocer, tea dealer, and provision merchant, Broad street

CUMMINS John, farmer, Nelfields farm

CUMMINS Joseph, farmer and haulier, Brass Fields farm

CUMMINS William, farmer, Coxmoor farm

DALLIMORE Mrs. Esther, beer retailer, Clifford's Mesne

DANIELS Walter, farmer, Laynes farm

DAVIS Charles, shoemaker, Okle green

DAVIS Henry, baker, grocer, and confectioner, Broad street

DAVIS Samuel, painter, Church street

DAWE John, gardener, Bury Bar lane

DEE John, farm bailiff, Church street

DOBBINS Edwin, shopkeeper, Church farm

DOWDESWELL Thomas, farmer, Cugley farm

DUFFIELD Joseph, nailmaker, Currier's lane

EDMONDS Edmund, solicitor, commissioner in Chancery and Common Law, perpetual commissioner for taking acknowledgments of deeds by married women, and agent for the Sun Fire and Life Insurance Co., The Holts

EDWARDS Solomon, brick and tile maker, Malswick

ELLIS John, grocer and corn dealer, Broad st

ETKINS James, gamekeeper, Woodgate

EVES Edward Henry, fishmonger and general dealer, Broad street

FARMER John, coach builder, Church street

FAULKS Charles James, miller, Cleeve hill

FAULKS William, miller and farmer, Brass mills

FENCOTT Felix, market gardener, Watery lane

FISHPOOL John, shopkeeper, Gorsley

FORD Daniel, farmer, Okle farm

GAZE isaac, builder, Church street

"George" Hotel Co., family and commercial hotel and posting house, Church st

GLOUCESTERSHIRE BANKING CO. (branch of), Broad street - Thomas Commeline, manager

GOOCH James, farmer, Lodge farm, Kilcote

GOODCHAP Thomas, farmer, Little Gorsley

GOODE Thomas, shoemaker, Culvert street

GOODYER Samuel, woolstapler and fellmonger, Culvert street; h. Church street

GRAMMAR SCHOOL, Church street - Rev. Joseph White (St. Nicholas College, Sussex), head master

GREEN Benjamin, linen and woollen draper, undertaker, and agent for the Royal Farmers' Fire and Life Insurance Co., Broad street

GREENAWAY Charles, beer retailer and farmer, Broad street

GREENAWAY James, baker and flour dealer, Broad street

GRIFFIN Edwin Ellis, National schoolmaster, Gorsley

GRUBB Robert, district road surveyor, Rosewood cottage

GRUBB William, shoemaker, Clifford's Mesne

HALE Reuben, tailor, Church street

HANKINS Edward, solicitor, commissioner in Chancery and Common Law, perpetual commissioner for taking acknowledgments of deeds by married women, and agent for the Scottish Widows' Fund Life Assurance Society, Mount Pleasant

HANKINS Thomas D., baker and confectioner, Broad street

HARPER John, farmer, Callow Hill farm

HART Miles, farmer, Newtown farm

HARTLAND Henry, farmer, Compton house

HARTLAND Henry, grocer, provision merchant, corn dealer, seedsman, and agent for W. and A. Gilbey's wines and spirits, Broad street

HARTLAND Miles, painter, plumber, and glazier. "Red Lion" Commercial hotel, Market place Broad street

HARTLAND Thomas, farmer, Polydresses farm

HARTLAND William Arthur, cattle dealer, Ivy cottage, Gloucester street

HATCH Frederick, carpenter, wheelwright, and lodging-house keeper, High street

HATTON John, tanner, Culvert street

HAYES Mrs. Harriet, dressmaker, Gloucester street

HILL James, sanitary inspector, Market pl

HILL John, farmer, Baldwyne farm

HOBBS William, blacksmith, Ken's green

HODGES Frederick, blacksmith, Woodgate

HODGES Simeon, farmer, Rymer place, Malswick

HOLLOWAY Mrs. Trophimus, farmer, Scarr house

HONEYFIELD James Charles, farmer, Knappers farm

HOOPER Thomas, farmer, Briery hill

HOPKINS Thomas, fruit dealer, Gloucester street

HUGHES William, thatcher, Gloucester street

HUMPIDGE Thomas, farmer, Alderleys farm, Malswick

JAMES Henry, shopkeeper, High street

JAMES Richard, builder, carpenter, joiner and cabinet maker, and coal merchant, Wharf street

JAUNCEY John, relieving officer, and registrar of births, deaths and marriages for Newent district, Market place

JELLYMAN Henry, tailor and sexton, Cemetery lodge

JENKINS Alfred, horse dealer, Ross Road cottage

JONES Alfred, insurance agent, Market pl

JONES Charles, timber dealer, Church street

JONES Mrs. Jane, dressmaker, Broad street

JONES John, farmer and haulier, Gorsley

JONES John Wetmore, farmer, Great Boulsdon farm

JONES Thomas, beer retailer, Broad street

JONES Thomas, shopkeeper, Kilcote

JONES Thomas, Jun., blacksmith, Strawberry hill

LANGLEY Eusebius W., veterinary surgeon, High street

LEE John, excavator, conttactor, and assistant overseer for the parish of Oxenhall, Ivy cottage, Culvert street

LEWIS Charles, shopkeeper, Culvert

LEWIS Thomas, thatcher and fruit dealer, Glasshouse

LITTLE James, cooper, High street

LLEWELLYN Samuel Thomas and Richard, blacksmiths, Culvert street

LOVERIDGE John, miller and farmer, Malswick mill

LUCY John, solicitor, and agent for the Scottish Commercial Fire and Life Insurance Co., Culvert street

LUMMAS Thomas, shopkeeper, Kilcote

MANSELL Robert, wheelwright and carpenter, Malswick

MARSHALL Wm. Norris, surgeon, Church st

MASTERS Frank, watchmaker, jeweller, &c., Broad street

MERRITT Robert, high bailiff of County Court, Culvert st

MOODY Mrs. Mary Ann, butcher, Broad st

MOODY William Henry, butcher and farmer, Church street

MORRIS Thomas, farmer, Caerwerits farm

NASH Charles, bank cashier and stamp distributor, Broad street

NEEMS Frederick, confectioner and baker, Church street

NICHOLLS William, builder, High street

NUNN Henry, farmer, Birches farm

ORGAN Jeremiah, farmer, Moat farm, Malswick

OWEN Henry, coal dealer and beer retailer, Wharf street

PARDINGTON Thomas, farmer and cattle dealer, Mantly house

PARLOUR Thomas, farmer, Lower Boulsdon farm

PENWARDEN Peter, grocer and provision dealer, Broad street

PETERSON Thomas, corn and wool merchant, High street

PHELPS James, farmer, Kilcote

PHILLIPS Richard, miller, Okle mill

PHILLIPS Samuel, farmer, Gorsley

PHILLIPS William, agent for Halcomb and Co. (Limited), sack contractors and commission agent, High street

POCOCK Edward, grocer, tea and coffee dealer, cheese factor and provision merchant, Broad street; and farmer, Common Field farm

POWELL Elias, chimneysweeper, Culvert st

POWELL William, shopkeeper, Church st

PREECE James Cole, blacksmith, Kilcote

PREEDY John, farmer and haulier, High st

PRICE Charles Henry, farmer and manure merchant

PRICE Jeremiah, builder, Culvert street

PRICE John Edwards (late Cannock and Price), solicitor, commissioner in Common Law, and agent for the Positive Life and the North British and Mercantile Fire and Life Insurance Co's., High street

PRICE William, farmer, The Parks

PRICE William, tailor, Broad street

PRITCHARD George William, farmer, Little Gorsley

READ Mrs. Ann, shopkeeper, Wharf street

READ James, "Bull" inn, Market place

READ Mrs. Phoebe, day school, Kilcote

REEVES William, watchmaker and florist, Broad street

ROACH Matthew, police sergeant, Old Courtyard

ROPER Thomas Hill, chemist, stationer, and newsagent, Church street

RUDGE Charles, baker and corn dealer, Broad street

SADLER Edwin, boat owner, Wharf street

SAYERS Mrs. Harriet, shopkeeper, Broad street

SCOTT James Hamilton, M.D. and surgeon, The Villa

SKINNER Miss Ellen, dressmaker, Bury Bar lane

SMITH Caleb, hairdresser, Broad street

SMITH Josiah, cattle dealer, Church street

STEPHENS Henry, basket maker, beer retailer, and marine store dealer, Church street

STONE John, beer retailer, Gloucester street

SUMMERS James, woolstapler, Church st

SURL John D., ironmonger, and iron and tinplate-worker, Broad street

THOMSON Frederick, farmer, Carswalls farm

THOMSON Henry, farmer, Moat farm

THURSTON William, grocer and provision dealer, Church st

TRANTER Christopher, Jun., haulier, Little Gorsley

TRANTER George, farm bailiff, Scarr farm

TUNNICLIFF Charles, clerk to the Board of Guardians, the Rural Sanitary Authority, and the assessment committee, superintendent registrar, and agent for Richard Foley Onslow, Esq., Culvert street; h. Lower cottage

TYLER William, beer retailer, Broad street

WADLEY John, haulier and farmer, Clifford's Mesne

WADLEY John, builder and carpenter, Kilcote

WADLEY William, farmer and haulier, Mount Pleasant, Gorsley

WARGENT Daniel Frederick, hairdresser, Broad street

WEBLEY Thomas, tailor, "Royal Oak" inn, Market place

WHILEY William, shoemaker, Bury Bar lane

WHITE Rev. Joseph (St. Nicholas College, Sussex), head master of Grammar School, Church street.

WILKINSON Edwin, master of the Union Workhouse, Ross road

WILLIAMS Miss Caroline, ladies' boarding and day school, Church street

WINTLE William, boot and shoemaker, Broad street

WINTLE William, "Traveller's Rest" inn, Malswick

WOOD John, farmer, "Kilcote" inn, Kilcote

WOOD Leonard, wheetwright and carpenter, Culvert street

WOOD Richard, shoemaker, Elm bridge

WOOD Samuel George, carrier and farmer, "King's Arms" inn, Ross road

WOOD William, carpenter and wheelwright, Kilcote

 

Information of Public Men and Institutions Connected with the Town and County

Post Office and Postal Telegraph Office, Church Street - Mrs. Charlotte Bisco, Postmistress.

Letters through Gloucester delivered at 7.30 a.m. and 5.15 p.m.; dispatched (London and General Day Mail) at 9.10 a.m. Box closes at 9 a.m. North Mail dispatched at 4.30 p.m.; London and General Night Mail at 9.13 p.m. Box closes at 9 p.m. On Sundays one delivery at 8 a.m., and one dispatch at 9.10 p.m. Box closes at 9 p.m.

Wall Letter Box, Clifford's Mesne - Cleared at 6 p.m. on week-days only.

Money orders granted and paid, and savings bank, insurance, and annuity business transacted, and dog gun licenses issued from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and on Saturdays until 8 p.m.

Postal Telegraph Office - Open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; on Sundays from 8 to 10 a.m.

Magistrates usually attending Petty Sessions:-

Richard Foley Onslow, Esq.

Osman Ricardo, Esq.

John Cam Thackwell, Esq.

Major S. N. Raikes

Reginald Wynniatt, Esq.

Wm. Philip Price, Esq.

Captain Wm. Edwin Price, Esq M.P.

Clerk to the Magistrates - Charles Jas. Cooke

Petty Sessions are held at the Market House every Monday at 12.

Burial Board:-

Richard Foley Onslow

Rev. Benjamin Ruck Keene, B.A.

John cummins

Frederick Thomson

Edward Pocock

John Hatton

James L. Man

John Hill

Clerk to the Board - Charles James Cooks

Bank:-

Gloucestershire Banking Company (branch of), Broad street (draw on Union Bank of London) - Thomas Commeline, manager.

 

Public Establishments:-

Cemetery, Watery lane - Henry Jellyman, sexton and lodge keeper.

County Court - Charles Sumner, Esq., judge; Charles James Cooke, registrar; Robert Merritt, high bailiff. The district comprises the following places:- Aston Ingham, Aston Crews, Bromsberrow, Hawler's Heath, Keyson Hill, Corse, Dymock, Bromsberrow Heath, Brooms Green, Castle Tump, Greenway, Hallwood Green, Leadington, Ryton Rylands, Tilly's Green, Woodend, Hartpury, Woolridge, Highleadon, Kempley, Linton, Gorsley, Newent, Boulsdon, Bran Green, Botloes Green, Compton, Cugley, Clifford's Mesne, Gorsley, Kilcot, Malswick, Oxenhall, Hilling Green, Shaw Common, Pauntley, Pool Hill, Ketford, Preston, Redmarley, D'Abitot, Forty Green, Haw Cross, King's Green, Lowbans, Rudford, Staunton, Snig'send, Taynton, Glass House Hill, Tibberton, Upleadon, Eden's Hill.

Gas Works, Watery lane - Henry Kinsman, secretary; Edwin Bunn, manager

Hereford and Gloucester Canal, Office, Wharf street - Sidney Bowkett, agent.

Inland Revenue Office, George Hotel - Jas. Parry, officer

Police Station, Old Court yard - Matthew Roach, sergeant in charge

Stamp Office, Broad street - Charles Nash, sub-distributor

Union Workhouse, Ross road - Edwin Wilkinson, master; Mrs. Elizth. Jennings, matron; Mrs. Kate Wilkinson, schoolmistress; Rev. Benjamin Ruck Keene, B.A., chaplain; James Hamilton Scott, M.S., medical officer; Charles Tunnicliff, clerk to the Guardians.

Public Officers not enumerated with Public Establishments:-

Assistant Overseer and Collector of Poor Rates - William Henry Wigley, Pauntley

Clerk to the Commissioners of Land, Assessed, and Income Taxes, and the Highway Board - Charles James Cooke

Relieving Officer, and Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages - John Jauncey

Road Surveyor - Robert Grubb

Superintendent Registrar - Charles Tunnicliff

Places of Worship:-

St. Mary's Parish Church - Rev. Benjamin Ruck Keene, B.A., vicar

Dissenting Places of Worship:-

Congregational Chapel, Broad street - Rev. William Harris, minister

Wesleyan Chapel, Culvert street - Rev. John T. F. Halligey, minister

Public Schools:-

Grammar School, Church street - Rev. Jph. White (St. Nicholas College, Susses), head master

National School, Ross road - Wm. Brown, master; Miss Harriet Sophia Clarke, mistress

National School, Gorsley - Edwin Ellis Griffin, master; Mrs. Harriet Griffin, sewing mistress

Conveyance:-

Mail coach from Ledbury to Gloucester, calls at the George at 9 a.m. and 4.30 p.m. daily.

Carriers:-

Gloucester - James Addis and Samuel George Wood, daily.

Back