Carley Family Tree
by Clark L. Carley
[BOLD PRINT represents FAMILY LINE being traced]
Copyright © 1995 Clark L. Carley
GEORGE CARLEY, CAN NOT BE FOUND in 1800 or later in
New York State. Cortland County census 1810 reports are lost. He also could not be
found in Jefferson Co. where THOMAS A. CARLEY was born in 1812, as of 1994 or in
Onondaga or Courts Co. New York. All 1810 census records are missing. In July of
1999, my brother Curtis and I made a trip to NY but found nothing so far for our George
This is a update of first article by OPAL FERN
(Burdue) CARLEY about 1983. THE FAMILY TREE we are following is as follows, said to be the
father of THOMAS ALONZO CARLEY, father of LAWSON "LOTT" HANNIBAL CARLEY, father
of CHARLES LEROY "ROY" CARLEY father of LEROY "LEE" ANDREW CARLEY,
Husband of OPAL FERN (Burdue) CARLEY (It is said that THOMAS ALONZO CARLEY was a
twin??) Mother pass away Dec. of 1997. Thus site is decanted in her memory.
The first CARLEY mentioned is GEORGE CARLEY, said
to be from Massachusetts?? Two different census reports of his sons say their
father was from Mass. All branches of the tree, near or far have the same information
and stories. Margaret Elizabeth Wilkes, wife of GEORGE CARLEY was located in Mr.
Vernon, Linn County Iowa, living with her SHERMAN JOHN Wiles CARLEY IN A 1860 census. She
was 70 years of age at that time. Wallace and Beulah Carley of Wamego, Pottawatomie
County, Kansas found this information. They have also wrote and talked to people in the
area. I have also received many copies of other CARLEY information they had complied. Also
copies of the story wrote by CORA CARLEY, daughter of SHERMAN WHITE CARLEY son of THOMAS
ALONZO CARLEYS second family. We have since found that some of her information is
not always reliable. There may or may not be a connection with England in the 1600s or
early 1700s. There is a GEORGE CARLEY listed in the LDS Library in the late 1870's
at 50 years age, to old.
1999 July. Clark and Curtis Carley
made a trip to New York State, but were unable to locate any record of the father of
Thomas Alonzo Carley. Possible that it cold be a GEORGE C. IN WAR OF 1812, at Sackets
Harbor near Watertown, NY>
SHERMAN J. W. CARLEY
On a trip to Iowa in 1992, her church records
were found. She moved from probation to full membership in 1870. Under her name in the
membership records was wrote. "Died at the home of her son on 22 Jefferson
Street, Jul.5, 1876 At age of 88. No obituary was found. Only a mention of her passing
in notes from A Old Folks group meeting in the local paper.
Census record 1960 said 70 years old, two year
difference. No record of her burial could page 1 be found, either. The only grave lots
purchased by her son SHERMAN was 6 years later. in 1883. SHERMAN J.W. CARLEY and his
second wife Anna Coleman and his daughter Nettie (Young) Carley are buried there. Records
show he purchased 6 lots. It looked like only three had been used.
In discussions with OPAL FERN (Burdue) CARLEY, she
can recall DORA MAY (Andrew) CARLEY, wife of CHARLES LEROY "Roy" CARLEY talking
about Margaret Elizabeth (Wilks) Carley. SHERMAN J.W. CARLEY was a brother of THOMAS
ALONZO CARLEY. SHERMAN J.W. CARLEY was born April 1828 in Syracuse, New York, married
Emaline Adams June 15, 1851. Second wife was Anna Coleman, married Jan. 21, 1858. SHERMAN
J. W. CARLEY died Oct. 10, 1887 in Mt. Vernon, Iowa. Linn Co. Their graves have been
visited in 1992. 6 lots were purchased 6 years after death of MARGARET ELIZABETH
(Wilkes)CARLEYS death. Only his wife and daughter Nettie (CARLEY) Young are buried in
these lots so the city records show.
CARLEY. FROM A TIN PLATE PROPERTY OF DOROTHY CALKIN COUSIN OF CLARK Carley. TESTED FOR
DATE AND SO ON BY CURTIS J. Carley AT NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY IN 1997. NOTE HIS RIGHT EYE
WHICH IS REALLY HIS LEFT EYE AS TIN PLAT ARE IN REEFERS. CLARK ALSO HAS A EYE LIKE THIS
STONE MADE BY
FRANK CARLEY WHEN HE LOCATED THE GRAVE SITE IN 1997. AFTER LOOKING FOR 116
Final Receivers Receipt No. 2283 Application
THOMAS A. CARLEY
Receivers Office, Topeka Kansas, June 13th 1868.
Received of Thomas A. Carley the sum of four dollars cents, being the
balance of payment required by law for the entry of east of north east of section 20 in
Township 8 of range 10 containing 80 acres, under section 2291 of the revised Statutes of
the United States.
THOMAS A. CARLEY son of GEORGE CARLEY was born May
4, 1812 at Jefferson Co., Watertown, NY It is said he was a Cooper (Barrel Maker). He died
Nov. 18, 1881 and is buried in an unmarked grave at Pleasant Hill Cemetery, located about
(8) miles North East of Louisville, Kans, Pottawatomie, Co. T. A. Carley had two wives, of
which the first was Samantha (Clark) CARLEY. No record of her parents. She was born
April 3, 1817 at Oswego Co., Hannibal, NY T. A. CARLEY and Samantha (Clark), it is
reported, MARRIED in Jamestown, Wisconsin, Jan. 1, 1835, but we believe this is in
error. It could have been Chautaugua Co., Jamestown, NY The reason for this, is that both
were born in New York and all of their (7) My
Curtis Jay CARLEY did find Jamestown, village,
located in Jamestown Twp in a old wet land federal map. Curtis and his wife Sarah made a
trip to WI. All that remains is a old church and house, ready to fall down. (7) children
were born in the state of New York. In those days, Wisconsin was a long distance to
travel. It is now confirmed by Grant Co. Wisconsin that they were not married there. We
now know that Jamestown was a Township, and also a VILLAGE as of 1992. The VILLAGE of
FAIRPLAY was inside this township. The Fenton Historical Society Chautaugua Co., New York
can't find any records and suggests Jamesville or Johnstown, New York. A COMMON ERROR Jan.
1992. So still not sure of Jamestown, what. I believe it was The VILLAGE OF JAMESTOWN,
GRANT CO. WI.
ALSO, let it be noted that there were CARLEY'S in
Jamestown, Wisconsin in 1835. In 1884 Jamestown, Wisc. had a population of 1215. In the
first postal records of 1905, Jamestown, Wisc. is not listed as a village. Townships were
not listed. There are copies of forms we have that do say JAMESTOWN, WISCONSIN. It is
believed that they moved to Wisconsin from New York in the early 1850's. THOMAS A. and Samantha
(Clark) CARLEY are not in the 1850 census of GRANT CO. WISCONSIN. There
were CLARK families on the same census page as Thomas A. Carley and John Daigh. Father
of wife of LAWSON HANNIBAL (LOTT) CARLEY
||April 19, 1836
||June 15, 1855
|Scott, Cortland County NY.
Unknown, Possible in N. Y. or Jamestown, WI.
March 7, 1838
Scot, Cortland Co. NY. Said to be missing after train burred while in route to WI.
from NY with all the family belongs.
LAWSON HANNIBAL "LOTT"
Feb. 26, 1840
July 16, 1885
Clay, Onondaga County, NY
North Auburn, Nemaha County Nb. Sheridan Cemetery. Member of the I.O/O.F
THE GRANGER NORTH
AUBURN, NEMHAMA CO. NB.
JULY 25, 1885
I never was able to
locate where he lived and could not find a address.
The Nemaha County Herald
From Obit of Margaret Ann , wife of LOTT
||Jan. 16, 1843
||July 10, 1926.
|Lysander, Onondaga, Co. NY.
Marshalltown, Marshall, Iowa.
||July 15, 1845
||Jan. 15, 1846
|Lysander, Onondaga, County N.Y.
Buried, Unknown. Likely N. Y. Lysander, Onondaga Co. N. Y.
||Oct. 26, 1846
||July 26, 1918
|(LO) Lysander, Onondaga County,
Buried at Westmoreland, Pottawatomie Co. Kansas. City Cemetery.
||Dec. 12, 1848
||Sept. 17, 1851
|Salina, Onondaga, County-Buried
Salina Onondaga, Co. NY.
It cannot be confirmed that EDWIN CLARK Carley is buried in Grant Co. WI. as
death records do not go back that far. He is in 1850 census, WI. and
missing in 1855 in WI.
SAMANTHA (CLARK) CARLEY died Dec. 9, 1861.
We believe at Jamestown, WI. No other information at this time. An article was found where
THOMAS A. published a notice that HIS WIFE HAD LEFT HIM, SAMANTHA (spelled as in the
notice) and he will pay no debts that she contracts. Cicero, N. Y. 14 May 1842, 18 May.
BUT NOTE, they had four more children after those dates. THOMAS A. CARLEY remarried some
(l0) months later.
And Samantha (Clark) CARLEY'S first born,
Edwin Clark CARLEY it appears was named after his mother. We didn't know there were two
Clark CARLEY'S before Feb. of 1991. CLARKIE LEE CARLEY was named after his grandfather,
Clark Elliot Burdue, FATHER of his mother, Opal Fern (Burdue) CARLEY. About (93) years
apart! OPAL FERN will be 89, Feb. 7, l997. She has had several small strokes and is blind.
Another CLARK as turned up. EZEKIEL CLARK CARLEY
BORN 17 July 185l. Cortland Co. Marathon NY Possible connection to EDWIN CLARK AND/OR SAMANTHA
(CLARK) ??. Listed along with him was Ebenezer CARLEY, found in minutes of Solon
Township meeting, 1798-1838. NEW YORK County not validated. CINCINNATUS?
February 23, 1877
Filed April 2, 1877
MARGARET A. AND LOTT H. CARLEY
The Grantor MARGARET A. CARLEY and
LOT H. CARLEY, Her husband, of the Town of Mt. Auburn, in the County of Christian, and
State of Illinois, for and in consideration of Fifty-five Dollars ($55.00) in hand
paid, Convey and Warrant to Samuel J. Snyder of the Town of Mt. Auburn, County of
Christian, and State of Illinois, the following described real estate, to wit: Commencing
at the North East corner of Lot No. Fourteen (14) now owned by F. M. Thomas in the
Village of Grove City, Running thence North Sixty (60) feet thence West Sixteen and
three-fourths (16 3/4) rods thence South Sixty (60) feet thence East Sixteen and three
fourths (16 3/4) rods to the place of beginning. Said Lot situated the SW 1/4 of the N E
quarter of Section Thirty four (34) Town Fifteen (15) of Range Two (2) West of the Third
Principal Meridian situated in the county of Christian, in the State of Illinois,
hereby releasing and waiving all rights under and by virtue of the Homestead Exemption
Laws of this State.
Dated this Twenty third day of February A.D.
Signed by MARGARET A. CARLEY and LOT A. CARLEY
Witnessed by P.P. Daigh, Justice of the Peace
(P. P. SON OF JOHN DAIGH)
(BROTHER OF MARGARET ANN)
On August 27, 1861, LAWSON
HANNIBAL ("LOTT") CARLEY was enlisted at
Dubuque, Iowa as a Fourth (4th.) Corporal by Captain Carl Schaffer De Boernstein for the
Fremont Hussars. He was mustered into service on October 7, 1861 and joined his unit at
Camp Asboth, near St. Louis, Missouri. Discharged, August ll., 1865 as First Lieutenant.
While on FURLOUGH from the CIVIL WAR, "WESTERN
FRONT", stationed at "LAND BETWEEN THE LAKES" in Ky. and TN., also known as
(L.B.L.) at the time he married, he was likely stationed (near) Nashville, Tenn. according
to the records.
He married MARGARET ANN (DAIGH), MARGARET ANN
was born in Monroe Co. Rochester, NY Jan. 20, 1845. They were married Feb. 8, 1864. At
Grant Co., Fairplay, WI. He was a prisoner after his marriage. Some had him married after
the CIVIL WAR. There is another certificate, for pension reasons signed by a pastor of a
Presbyterian Church, Grant Co. Wisconsin. This is dated, Dec. 1, 1865. There are two
("LOTT") CARLEY died 15 July 1885 at the age of (45). He is buried at
Sheridan Cemetery Lot No. 163. Using the main road in, on the left, second section,
divided by pine trees. MARGARET ANN (DAIGH) CARLEY died, April 26, 1925 at the age
of (80). The NEHAMA GRANGER HAD a story on ("LOTT")
CARLEY'S service, July 25, 1885. L. H. CARLEY died at his home in NORTH AUBURN,
NEBR. Services held July 16, 4 PM. Conducted by G.A.R.
After the death of her husband, L.H. ("LOTT") CARLEY she lived with her son CHARLES L.
(ROY) CARLEY on the Andreson Ranch in Rook County, near Plainville, Kansas. In 1922,10
Dec. Membership Day, Methodist Episcopal Church, the attendance records show M A CARLEY
with perfect attendance. Pottawatomie County, Wamego, Kansas.
JOHN DAIGH and wife SARAH, parents of MARGARET
ANN (DAIGH) CARLEY are buried in the next lot, 164. JOHN died Jan. 28, 1886 SARAH died
Aug. 12, 1886, about (7) months later. We did find the original of the probate of his
estate with all children listed including MARGARET ANN. Dated 16th. day of
Sept.1891. No other articles could be found at this time. Aug. 1991. After all these
years, there was still a G.A.R. marker half way in the ground beside the head stone. After
great thought and considering other items that we don't have, what would his two
grand-sons LEROY (LEE) AND JAMES (MILT) CARLEY do in this case? It now hangs on the
wall of CLARK L. CARLEY in Bowling Green, Ky. That is what a true CARLEY would do
in this case. It has been placed along with other items belonging to ("LOTT")
along with tassels from his uniform, copy of a tintype picture of him, a piece of wood
from Camp Andersonville Prison given to CLARK by DOROTHY (CALKIN) and a wood cane
Diamond Willow (Salix Berbia). CLARK used it when he was blind for a year. Copy of his
discharge from Grand Army of the Republic (Union Army), Funeral notice. DOROTHY CALKIN.
great grand daughter, has a DRESSER purchase by ("LOTT") with his mustering out
pay. ELEANOR GILL, great grand daughter, draught of May (Carley) Gill. She has THE
CHEST that he carried with him during "THE CIVIL WAR". which contains many old
letters and pictures. (Diamond Willow) is known to come from the northern areas, most
likely he got it in Wisconsin.
In 1992, there will be a colored picture 8" by
10" of all items that CLARK L. CARLEY has in the WAMEGO CITY MUSEUM along with items
made by FRANK CARLEY, Pottawatomie County, Louisville, Kansas.
The CHEST at one time contained a DIARY kept by
("LOTT") CARLEY, while he was a prisoner of WAR. PAUL GILL, son of WINNIEFRED
MAY (CARLEY) GILL, gave it Iowa Historical Society Iowa City, Iowa, in about 1951.
WINFIELD MAY is Grand-daughter of ("LOTT") CARLEY. CURTIS J. CARLEY,
Great-grandson of ("LOTT") is to write ("LOTT'S) military history in the
near future and is presently working with Iowa Historical Society.
The custom has been that THE SWORD, is passed down
the family line to the oldest CARLEY MALE of each generation. ("LOTT") passed
the sword to CHARLES (ROY) who passed it to LEROY (LEE) who in turn passed it to CLARK LEE
CARLEY, At this time, that is KIM WAYNE CARLEY of ORLANDO, FLORIDA. He is the son of
KENNETH D. CARLEY. KIM would be great (2)times grand son of ("LOTT") CARLEY. It
is presently in the "WILL" of CLARK L. CARLEY, to go to KIM W. CARLEY. CLARK L.
is uncle to KIM W.
There is a story that L.H. ("LOTT")
CARLEY and CYRUS L.(LO) CARLEY had two other nick names. Because of L.H.
("LOT") CARLEY'S reported height of (6'6" to 7"), he was called
HIGH POCKETS and CYRUS L. (LO) CARLEY was called LOW POCKETS. He was said to be about
There is also a story that CYRUS LORENZO was a
PRISONER OF WAR at CAMP ANDERSONVILLE. We think this is in error and he was a prisoner at
CAMP LIBBY, RICHMOND, VIRGINIA.
THOMAS ALONZO CARLEY'S
second wife, was Rachel McCormick (White)(Woodall), who was born to George
and Sarah (McCormick) White on July 8, 1830 at Sligo, Clarion Co. Pennsylvania. RACHEL
McCormick WHITE first marriage was to William Woodall on Oct. 14, 1856. It is said, they
farmed near Elkport.? Iowa. and had Caroline White Woodall. (Known as "AUNT
CARRIE" to the second Thomas Alonzo CARLEY family. Rachel and William were later
divorced. Thomas A. CARLEY and Rachel McCormick (White) (Woodall) were married Oct. 4,
1862 at Jamestown, Grant Co. Wisconsin. They had (6) children, of which (5) were born in
Wisconsin. The last one JOHN WHITE, Center Township, Pottawatomie Co. Kansas.
||Sept. 13, 1863
||March 21, 1952
|Jamestown, Grant Co.
WI. Buried at Marquette, McPherson County, Kansas.
||Mar. 17, 1866
|Jamestown, Grant Co. Wi. Westmorland,
Pott. Co. Ks.
||Aug. 22, 1868
||Sept. 23, 1954
|Jamestown, Grant Co. WI Buried
at Hays, Ellis Co.WI. Kans. Buried at Mt. Allen Cemetery
||Feb. 4, 1871
|| Aug. 19, 1949
|(TWIN) Jamestown, Grant Co. WI.
Louisville, Pottawatomie Co. Kans. Louisville City Cemetery-CARLEY Section.
||Feb. 4, 1871
||Feb. 20, 1872
|(TWIN) Jamestown, Grant Co. WI. Died
in Pottawatomie, County, Kansas. Pleasant Hill Cemetery.
||Mar. 21, 1874
||**Mar. 11, 1938
|Center Township Pottawatomie Co. Co. Kans.
Osborne, Kansas . City Cemetery.
**Unable to locate grave. No records at court
house, city hall or library. Local Monument Co had records for stones they made back to
1900. We have since learned that he was buried by Frank and Cora Hoagland, unmarked grave.
This is confirmed by Regenia (Hoagland), daughter of Cora Hoagland, and others. The
story is that he was hoeing corn for his brother, Thomas W. Carley. When he didn't show up
in the evening, they went looking for him. They found the hoe hanging on the fence. This
was in about 1917. In about 1934 or 1935, he showed up at the home of Frank and Cora
Hoagland, broke and hungry , in Osborne Kansas. This story is also confirmed by Frank and
Core's daughter and others. No one knows where he had been all those years.
RACHEL McCormick (WHITE) (WOODALL) CARLEY born
1830. Died Oct. 20, 1929 at age of (99). THOMAS ALONZO CARLEY grave could not be located
at Pleasant Hill Cemetery, so she is buried along with the THOMAS WHITE CARLEY FAMILY at
LOUISVILLE CITY CEMETERY, Pottawatomie Co. Louisville, Kans.
Charles Franklin (Frank) Carley
located Thomas Alonzo Carley grave in 1997, made and placed store on his grave.
In the papers we located at the Courthouse,
Pottawatomie Co. Westmoreland, Kans. was a contract for the purchase of 10 areas for
$300.00. We note that THOMAS A. CARLEY signed with a X witnessed "HIS MARK".
June 1878. Could he not read or write??
It is reported that ("LOTT")
AND (LO) where home-s steadying near Louisville, Pottawatomie Co.
Kans. At least by March of 1871 and talked T. A. CARLEY into moving Rachel and his second
family (by covered wagon) to Pottawatomie Co. Kansas. On the way, he visited his brother
in Mt. Vernon, Linn Co. Iowa. SHERMAN JOHN WILKS CARLEY, known as J.W. 1860 census report
lists him as a grain buyer, also listed is his MOTHER, MARGARET (WILKS) CARLEY, wife of
GEORGE CARLEY? At that time, she was listed as (70) years of age. Also listed was one
While researching THE CARLEY TREE
(4) living CARLEY'S of the same generation as CHARLES LEROY (ROY) CARLEY, son of
("LOTT") CARLEY son of THOMAS ALONZO CARLEY. There great-grandfather was also
THOMAS A. CARLEY. MYRTLE OLETHA, born May 3, 1905, daughter of JOHN WHITE CARLEY, living
in GRATE BEND, BARTON CO. KANS. (87) years of age. Marr: Raymond Sherman. Sister GOLDIE
MAY born Jan. 7, 1891. Died in Utah, Aug. of 1991. At age of 100. Marr: to a
(Fertado). GEORGIA (CARLEY). (Woody) Perine, Born Dec. 9, 1902 on a farm near
WESTMORELAND, POTTAWATOMIE CO. KANS. At age (89) she still drives her "Car"
(Died in 1996) and takes her friends to town. Her friends are all younger and can't drive
anymore. Daughter of THOMAS WHITE CARLEY. Her brother CHARLES FRANKIE (FRANK) CARLEY, Born
Jan. 16, 1913 on a farm near WESTMORELAND, POTTAWATOMIE CO. KANS. (78) years of age. Lives
LOUISVILLE, POTTAWATOMIE CO. KANS. FRANK has a "Pacemaker" and a girlfriend both
are doing well. He has a level and other tools that belonged to CYRUS (LO) CARLEY. It
seems that the CARLEY'S were all carpenters or laid stone.
("LOTT") CARLEY'S trade was listed as a plasterer. FRANK and his
sister, GEORGIA have been full of information. CHARLES FRANK CARLEY showed me around
POTTAWATOMIE CO. Cemeteries and other sights of CARLEY FAMILY interest. FRANK was a stone
mason and has built many a fireplace in his later years. He has several items he made for
the Pottawatomie County Museum. Located in Wamego, Kans.
DOROTHY (BOWLAND) CALKIN,
Daughter of Charles and MARGARET (MARGIE) (CARLEY) BOWLAND, needs to be given a lot of
credit in researching THE CARLEY FAMILY TREE. She has a lot information , birth and death
records she has put together, including THE ANDREW, WEDDLE, DAIGH, WOODALL AND OTHERS.
Also has many old pictures. Some with names but few with date. She lives in Brownington,
Missouri. Mail address, Deepwater, Mo. Route #2 box-51-Zip. 64740. Her Great-grandfather
was L.H. ("LOTT") CARLEY. DOROTHY also has proof read most of the material and
checked dates and other information.
LAWSON H. ("LOTT") and
MARGARET ANN (DAIGH) CARLEY had three (3) children.
||May 4, 1953
|Hazel Green, Grant Co Wisconsin
. Wichita, Segwick Co. Kansas.
||Mar. 17, 1871
||Sept. 15, 1935
|Louisville, Pottawatomie Co. Kansas
Died at Platte City, Platte Co. Missouri. Buried Plainville
Cemetery,Plainville, Rook Co. Kansas.
||Jan. 25, 1873
||June 21, 1925
|Died. St, Louis, St.. Louis Co.
Mo.and buried at Valhalla Cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri.
There is another story of ("
LAWSON H. ("LOTT") and his brother CYRUS (LO) CARLEY collecting money and
organized THE MT. UNION SCHOOL and built a one room stone building. Reported later, to be
the kitchen of Atkinson's family in about 1900. FRANK CARLEY says this is a fact. About
1865? The present school was built in 1884, remodeled and still in use. All stone. Other
CARLEY family members were also involved in the construction of the school. While
researching, only three (3) estates could be found that had been probated, JOHN DAIGH,
Nemaha Co. Nebr. Father of MARGARET ANN (DAIGH) 1891 THOMAS ALONZO CARLEY, POTTAWATOMIE
CO. Kans. 1883. CYRUS LORANZO (LO) CARLEY.
Pottawatomie Co. Kans. 1918. No others could be
located in these counties. We were told in those days more didn't than did probate
Aug. 24 1854 is when the
first white man arrived for the purpose of establishing homes. This was less than three
months after the signing of the Kansas-Nebraska Bill. This made settlement of the new
territory legal. The choosing of Pottawatomie County as a location for settlement was no
accident. Several of the men had driven freight wagons for the government in the years
previous to 1853 carrying freight and supplies to the newly established. Fort Riley from
Fort Leavenworth. The county had not been surveyed at that time, and in fact, no counties
had yet been organized in the new territory. Surveys were not made until 1857 and claims
were not filed until 1858. There were other White Men in the county before the first
settlers. They came here in connection with the Indian Reservation and or with the
Military Road in 1848. The Mission at St. Mary, Kansas was also established in 1848.
Antelope were last seen in the county in 1866-69 and the Deer lasted a little longer in
appreciable numbers. Wild turkey disappeared from the county in 1875. Horace Greeley
stopped here for several days, staying at Wilson house in 1859. The Wilson house situated
as it was on the Military Road, was the first hotel in the county. The Oregon Trail was
laid out by John Fremont in 1842 and the Military Road, which followed the Oregon Trail
until it branched at the Vermillion River was laid out in 1852 just east of the present
location of Louisville, Kansas.
The first bridge built in the county was where the
Military Road and the Oregon Trail split at the Louis Vieux Crossing on the Vermillion
River in 1855. When counties were first organized in the new Territory in 1855. Nearly all
of Pottawatomie County was in Riley Co. except for the very eastern part in what in now
Calhoun Co. In 1861, the State was admitted to the Union and it was necessary to vote on a
permanent Co. seat. St. George had been county seat for four years. This included Mt.
Union and Wilson. Louisville was a thriving town and drew trade from all over the county.
Louisville was a rival of such towns as Manhattan and Topeka. After the Kansas Pacific
Railroad was built in 1866 or 67, Wamego was established and for years, little more than a
depot for Louisville, Kansas. In an election held in 1877 for the county seat again,
Wamego got the most votes. Louisville heard they were planning to come and get all the
records, so at night, 1882, they moved it all to Westmoreland. No one expected it to stay,
but it is still the County Seat in 1992. Louisville is one of the oldest town in the
county. At the close of the CIVIL WAR it was known as Rock Port. Soldiers who were
mustarded out at Fort Leavenworth, came by stage to Rock Port to settle. The first board
meeting of city commissioners was held April 7, 1862. Just east of town is where the
49'ers fought the Indians. Many are buried there and close by is the Louis Vieux Cemetery.
Early newspapers were the Louisville Lyre and Pottawatomie Gazette and over 100 years of
it are stored in Topeka, Kans. at the Historical Society.
The Louisville one room Log Cabin Jail was restored and
moved to the Pottawatomie Co. Museum located in the Wamego City Park. A massive tree,
named for Louis Vieux, a famous French and Pottawatomie Indian, was a seedling in 1715. On
Oct. 3, 1979, the Louis Vieux Elm was certified as the largest tree of it species by the
National Register of Big Trees. American Forestry Assoc. The tree is located just east of
Louisville, Kans. Beside the Oregon Trail on the west side of the Vermillion River, a few
yards away from the toll ferry operated by Louis Vieux. FRANK AND CLARK L. CARLEY visited
this location and took pictures of the ELM TREE AND THE CEMETERIES (2). Indian and
travelers of the Oregon Trail along with the 49ers who fought the Indians at this
location. For many years, FRANK CARLEY was PARK COMMISSIONER for Louisville, Kansas. At
one time, friends of his put him up for Mayor, but he would not actively campaign for the
office. He said he wanted to know who was cussing him.
This place was pre-empted by Robert Wilson, who built a log cabin on
Rock Creek-since called Brush Creek-at the military crossing, where he kept a frontier
hotel for several years. He and his sons, James and Louis, were the earliest settlers in
this region. The town was located on the southeast quarter of Section 20, and the
southwest quarter of Section 19. Township 9, Range 10, and it was named after Louis
Wilson. It was recorded as a town site with the above description, January 15, 1857. It
lies on both sides of Rock Creek, quite the larger portion north of it. It is a very
pleasant locality. There are medicinal springs near the town. A most interesting old
settlers; reunion and basket dinner was held at Taylors' grove, near Louisville, June 4,
1879, L. R. Palmer, presiding. July 10, 1880, a soldiers' and sailors' reunion was held at
Louisville, an enrollment providing for all who have served their country, either as
National or State troops. J. R. Baker, of Westmoreland, was President; J. S. Mitchell,
Secretary; J. J. Hostutler, Treasurer; with Vice presidents from the municipal townships.
The Congregationalists and Methodists of this town have
well established church organizations and good church buildings. Rev. Mr. St. John is
pastor of the Congregational, and Rev. Mr. Brown of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The I. O. O. F., Rose Lodge, No. 122, was instituted at
Westmoreland, December 15, 1874; its officers were as follows: M. S. H. King, N. G.; R. P.
Atwood, V. G.; W. K. Merritt, Secretary; J. S. Codding, Permanent Secretary; Charles
Zable, Treasurer; J. C. McBride, Warden; C. A. Skene, Conductor; John Sebring, R. S to N.
The lodge was moved to Louisville, March 22, 1879. During
the summer of 1881, it built a new stone hall, 25x65 feet, costing nearly $2,000. Its
officers for 1882 are as follows: L. G. Beal, N. G.; R. S. Hick, V. G.; John M. Cotton,
Secretary; John A. Beal, Permanent Secretary; A. C. Merritt, Treasurer; David Hilderly, R.
S to N. G.; E. T. Baker, L. S. to N. G.; J. S. Mitchell, R. S. to V. G. ; George Parry, L.
S. to V. G.; R. J. Hodgson, Warden; G. R. Anderson, Conductor; Abe Giltner, I. G.; E. D.
Anderson, O. G.; A. H. Brill, Chaplain.
This lodge has a membership of about seventy-five. Its
meetings are held on Saturday evening, and visiting brothers are always welcome. This is
the most prosperous secret organization in the county.
Press History. - July 17, 1867, A. Sellers started
the Pottawatomie Gazette at Louisville, which was the first one in the county.
Patrick McCloskey, in February, 1868, bought a half interest in it; on July 5, 1869, he
obtained the other half from Mr. Sellers, and in 1870 it became the Kansas Reporter.
This paper became the property of a joint stock company, and W. H. Powell was its editor.
E. Barnes succeeded Mr. Powell, and in the summer of 1876, he disposed of his interest to
Messrs. Hick & Reed, and they published it until April, 1878. Sylvester Fowler then
took possession of it as editor, and continued until January, 1879. Hick and Reed ran it
until July 1, 1879, when H. G. Evans edited it until July 1, 1880. In March, 1880, Reed
bought Hick's interest, and on July 1, 1880, Reed took charge of it as editor and
proprietor, with John M. Cotton as assistant editor. October 23, 1881, the paper was sold
to a joint stock company and was moved to Wamego. Mr. Cotton went there as editor and
remained three weeks. The paper was then sold to S. Fowler, and in February, 1882, Mr.
Fowler sold it to Charles E. Chandler and J. L. Browne. There were twelve shareholders in
the joint stock concern. Cotton and Anderson sold out their shares, and Mr. Fowler, who
had bought the Wamego Tribune of W. P. Campbell, sold to Cotton & Anderson, and
they established the Louisville Republican, November 24, 1881. W. T. Anderson had
printed the St. Mary's Express. Messrs. Cotton & Anderson are the present
editors and proprietors of the Republican.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (BARRETT - GRIFFITH).
S. P. BARRETT, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in
Barbour county, Va. (now West Virginia), August 22, 1840. When a boy, he moved with his
parents to Indiana County, Pa. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company K of the One
Hundred and Fifty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the
war. Returned to Pennsylvania, and in 1872 moved to Powesheik County, Iowa. In December,
1873, he came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Louisville Township, Pottawatomie, County,
where he still lives. He is engaged in grain, stock and farming. Was married in Indiana
County, Pa. December 25, 1866, to Miss Anna Elkins. They have seven children - Charles,
Henry E. William M., Arthur, Frank E. Elsie J. And George.
JOSEPH A. BEAL, cashier of bank, was born in Peru, Ind.,
April 15, 1859. When a child, his parents removed to Indianapolis, where they lived until
our subject was six years of age. Then they moved on to a farm in the same county, but
returned to the city at the end of two years. Joseph attended the public schools of the
city, and a course at a business college. In the spring of 1868, he accompanied his
parents to Kansas, they settled at Leavenworth, and in November of the same year, came to
Pottawatomie County, settling on a farm near Louisville. In 1875, he entered the office of
J. K. Whims, register, and worked there for a year. In March, 1876, he entered the office
of M. S. & C. N. Beal, bankers. He worked for them in the business and in various
county offices until January 1, 1877, when he became accountant and cashier for the
banking house of Beal Bros., where we still find him. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
Was married September 30, 1879, in Pottawatomie County, to Miss Louis J. Immenschuh. They
have one child-Mary Gertrude, born August 29, 1881.
L. G. BEAL was born in Peru,
Ind., March 19, 1857. When a child, his parents moved to Indianapolis, and from thence to
Kansas in 1869 settling in Louisville. He is the resident and managing agent for Beal
Bros., bankers and abstractors. They have a complete set of abstracts of title for all
lands in Pottawatomie County; also, abstracts of the books of the Clerk of the District
Court and Treasurer. He is at present N. G. of Rose Lodge, No. 122, I. O. O. F. He was
married December 25, 1879, at Louisville, to Miss Lizzie Bittmann. They have one
child-Bertha, born October 31, 1882.
M. S. BEAL, Clerk of the District Court, was born in
Switzerland County, Ind., March 7, 1848. He was educated at the Northwestern Christian
University, Indianapolis, Ind. In 1866 removed to Kansas, settling at Leavenworth, where
he resided until 1868, when he removed to Louisville. In 1872 he was elected Clerk of the
District Court of Pottawatomie County, and re-elected every succeeding year until 1882,
when he declined a re-election. In connection with his brother, C. N. Beal, he began a set
of abstracts of title to lands of Pottawatomie County in 1873. Have also abstracts of the
Treasurer's and District Court Clerk's books. In 1875 they established a bank in
Louisville, which they still conduct. Also do a general land agency, loan and insurance
business. He belongs to the Masonic Order, also the I. O. O. F. He was married July 21,
1869, at Louisville, Kan., to Miss M. E. McComas. They have four children - Florrie M., C
Xavier, Merritt F. and Garnet
ALMON BENTON, hardware, was born in Tioga County, N. Y.,
July 10, 1824. He learned the carriage and wagon-making trade. In 1853, moved to Illinois,
settling at Pecatonica, Winnebago County, and engaged at his trade for two years. He then
bought a farm in Ogle County, and was for several years a farmer. He sold his farm, moved
to Wisconsin, thence to Iowa, thence came to Kansas in June, 1858, settling in Oskaloosa,
Jefferson County. In November, 1860, he moved to Vienna Township, Pottawatomie County, on
a homestead, where he lived until 1869, when he moved into Louisville, and engaged in a
milling and hotel business; at the end of four year (sic) he sold out his interest
in the mill to his partner, C. C. Foot, and continued his hotel and farming operations. In
August, 1874, he bought out H. Hopkin's stock of hardware and implements, in which
business he continued until February 1, 1883, at which time he sold out his store and
stock to Mr. Charles E. Tucker, of Jacksonville, Kan. Mr. Benton was married January 20,
1847, to Miss Betsy F. Lewis, daughter of Jeptha Lewis, of Chenango County, N. Y. They
have had five children, four boys and one girl, all married, except Otis L., who is in his
seventeenth year, and living with his parents and attending Washburn College at Topeka
during school months. One son, Lewis O., died March, 1882, at San Antonio, Texas, of
consumption, after having been married to Miss Sue Sabin one year and nine months. The two
older boys are living near the old homestead in Vienna, and deal largely in cattle and
hogs. The daughter married A. H. Case, a prominent lawyer of Topeka, and is residing
there. Mr. Benton is a member of I. O. O. F., and both he and his wife have been members
of the Congregational Church since childhood.
CHARLES W. BITTMAN, merchant, was born in
Cincinnati, Ohio, August 9, 1840. He was educated in the public schools of that city. In
1859, came to Kansas, locating at Leavenworth. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company I,
First Kansas Volunteer Infantry. He was wounded at Wilson's Creek, receiving a minie ball
through his right wrist, cutting out one of the bones. This ended his military history. He
returned to Leavenworth, and was employed as a clerk. In 1866, he took a train of
merchandise, principally groceries, and opened, with his partners, a commission house at
Virginia City, Montana Territory, firm of F. R. Merk & Co. In 1867, came to Louisville
from Montana, and opened a store of general merchandise on his own account, and has been
in business here since. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Was married, September 6, 1874,
at Albion, Nebraska, to Miss S. H. Rice. They have two children: Albert G., born October
6, 1875, and Lorin, born July 1, 1878.
A. H. BRILL, M. D., was born in Guernsey County, Ohio,
January 21, 1835. He was educated at an academy at Albany, Ohio, and began the study of
medicine. He enlisted, October 8, 1861, in Company G of the Sixty-third Ohio, as a
private. (sic) Was promoted to Lieutenant in November, 1864, and in the following
month, to First Lieutenant, in which capacity he commanded his company until the close of
the war. Returning to Ohio, he entered the P. M. Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio,
graduating in February, 1871. He settled at Plymouth, Ohio, and practiced until 1878, when
he came to Kansas, settling at Louisville, where he has been in constant practice since.
He is a Mason. (sic) and belongs to the I. O. O. F. He was married September 13,
1856, at Plymouth, Ohio, to Miss Nancy E. Miller. They have four children - O. M., Ella,
Charles M. And Flora.
JOHN F. CAILLOZ, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in
France, March 10, 1817. In 1854 he came to America, settling in Cincinnati, where he
worked at the brewing business for a year. In 1855 he came with the colony from that city
to Manhattan, but returned to Topeka and lived in Shawnee County until 1859, when he came
to Pottawatomie County, settling one mile East of Louisville, on the farm he now occupies.
September 2, 1862, he enlisted in Company K of the Eleventh Kansas, and took part in all
the battles of that celebrated regiment. Served three years and returned to his farm,
where he has since been engaged in farming and stockraising. He was married in France,
September 1, 1838, to Miss Margaret Minary. They have three children all grown. His only
son, Frank, served three years and six months in Company F of the Sixth Kansas, in the war
for the suppression of the Rebellion.
JAMES B. CAMPBELL, Clerk of the District Court, was born
in Bellaire, Belmont County, Ohio, June 5, 1850. At the age of thirteen years lost his
right arm by having it crushed in a cane-mill. He was educated at Hopedale College,
Harrison County, Ohio. In 1871 moved to Missouri and taught school in Shelby County.
Returned to Ohio, finished his college course, and was principal of Glencoe public graded
schools until 1878, when he came to Kansas, settling at St. Mary's in Pottawatomie County.
Was the principal of the Bellevue schools one year; then he became Deputy Register of
Deeds since 1879. In 1882 was elected by the Democratic party for Clerk of the District
Court. He is a member of the I. O. O. F
R. M. CHILCOTT, son of Lieutenant E.
Chilcott, was born in Livingston County, Ill., July 16, 1857, from whence his parents
emigrated to Kansas in 1869, settling at Louisville. He received a good common school
education in the schools of Illinois and Kansas, and a practical business education while
in the newspaper business, and in the various county offices of Pottawatomie County. In
1880, in connection with Mr. Nagle, Register of Deeds, he commenced a set of abstracts of
title of all lands of the county, which they have now fully completed. They have also
abstracted the books of the Treasurer, District Court and Probate Judge, and they are
doing an extensive land and loan business. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
WILLIAM CLARK, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in
Jefferson County, Ohio, March 11, 1833. In 1844, his parents removed to Livingston County,
Mo. In 1855 came to Kansas, and for a time lived at Leavenworth, but was back and forth at
times, until 1859, when he settled permanently on a farm near Council Grove. In 1863 he
removed to his farm in Pottawatomie County, near Louisville. He served in the Fourteenth
Kansas as Commissary Sergeant in the year 1864, taking part in repelling the Price and
Indian invasions of that year. In 1869, Mr. Davis appointed him Deputy Sheriff, and he was
elected to the office in 1871, and re-elected in 1873, serving six years in all. May 1,
1880, he bought an interest in a drug store, which was run under the name of Taylor &
Co. for a short time, when Mr. Clark bought his partner's interest, and afterwards
consolidated with the business of J. Sabin, the business now being conducted under the
firm name of J. Sabin & Co. Mr. Clark has been twice married, first to Miss Mary A.
Churchman, of Livingston County, Mo., on the 6th of March, 1859. She bore him three
children - George, Sarah Frances and Flora J. Mrs. Clark died in March 1865; and, January
14, 1877, he was again married at Louisville, to Miss Lucinda A. Gann. They have from this
marriage five children - Anna, Ella, Belle, Jessie and Pearl.
J. S. CODDING, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in
Butler County, Ohio, October 18, 1836. When a lad, his parents removed to Will County,
Ill. In 1847 he entered an office in Milwaukee and learned the printing business,
remaining two years, when he returned to Illinois. In 1858 he came to Kansas, settling at
Marysville, but in 1861 he returned to Cook County, Ill., thence to Porter County, Ind.,
where he lived during the war. Again, in 1872, he removed to Kansas, settling on a ranch
ten miles northwest of Louisville, where he has been engaged in farming and stockraising
since. In 1874 he was elected to the Kansas House of Representatives for the county of
Pottawatomie. He is the president of both the State and Kansas Central Wool Growers'
Association, and has been from their organization. He is an Odd Fellow and a good one too.
Was married in Lockport, Ill., March 28, 1858, to Miss Harriet M. Case. They have four
Children--Julian K., George T., John F. And Willie V.
THOMAS N. COONEY, farmer. P. O. Louisville, was born in
County Limerick, Ireland, November 24, 1843. He landed at New York, February 28, 1855, and
went to work in Dutchess County, N. Y., where he lived until 1869, when he came to Kansas,
settling in Leavenworth County, where he engaged in farming. In 1876, he settled in
Pottawatomie County, Louisville Township, where he still lives engaged in farming. He was
married in Dutchess County, N. Y., to Miss Eliza Mulchay on August 17, 1865. They have
nine children: Dennis, born July 27, 1866, Mary, born September 17, 1867; Kate, born
September 29, 1869; William, born March 12, 1871; John, born June 2, 1872; Thomas, born
December 21, 1875; Patrick, born August 21, 1878; Mathias, born April 28, 1880; Elizabeth,
born October 21, 1882
JOHN M. COTTON. The parents of the subject of this sketch
was Kentuckians. The father, Isaac Cartright Cotton, was of Scotch-Irish descent,
descending on his mother's side from the noted family of O'Ragans, in Ireland. The mother,
Sarah Morgan Cotton, was of English-Welsh stock, being a second cousin of the noted Rebel
raider, John Morgan. John M. Cotton was born in Parke County, Ind., November 19, 1851, and
is the oldest son of his father's second marriage. In his infancy, his father's family
moved to Storey County, Iowa, and located on a farm in Skunk River Bottom. He attended the
district school in the neighborhood until about seventeen years old, working on the farm
in the summer time. When about seventeen he entered the State Agricultural College at
Ames, Iowa, attending that school two years. In 1870 he came to Kansas and for several
years, taught school in Jefferson and Douglas counties. In 1873 he commenced reading law
with Hon. N. Hoysradt, Lawrence, and in 1874, he read with Price & Gillespie, Falls
City, Nebraska. In January, 1875, he was admitted to practice as an attorney and
counselor-at-law, in the Supreme Court of the State of Nebraska, being the first person
admitted to that court on examination. In the same month he was elected Clerk of the
Judiciary Committee of the Senate, holding said office to the close of the session. In the
spring of 1875, he returned to Richardson County, Nebraska, and practiced his profession.
On the 8th of June 1875, he married, at the residence of Dr. M. M. Gordon, Rulo, Nebraska,
to Miss Lillia L. Johnson, daughter of Capt. J. H. Johnson, of Spencer, Ind. In 1876, Mr.
Cotton returned to Kansas, locating at Winchester. He practiced his profession for a
while, and in June, 1877, in company with T. W. Gardiner, Esq., established the Winchester
Argus. In August, following, he sold his interest in the paper to his partner. In
April, 1880, he moved to Louisville, Kan., and opened a law office, July 1, he became
associate editor of the Kansas Reporter, and entered into partnership in the
practice of law with F. A. Reed, Esq., the editor and proprietor. In October, 1881, the Reporter
was moved to Wamego, and November 24, 1881, Mr. Cotton, in company with Mr. E. D.
Anderson, issued the first number of the Louisville Republican. This paper seemed
to meet a "long-felt want" as it rapidly increased in circulation and influence
until when one year old it had an actual circulation of 840 copies. Mr. Cotton is now
editor and manager of the Republican, and is one of the proprietors of the Westmoreland
Weekly Period. Mr. Cotton is a young man of rather more than average ability and
promise. He is a ready, vigorous and fearless writer, and always expresses his convictions
regardless of consequences. He lives in a beautiful home in Louisville, and enjoys a fair
share of public esteem. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Rose
Lodge, No 122, of Louisville. He has one child, a girl, Minta Moyne, born October 28,
JAMES L. COX, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in
Morgan County, Ill., October 23, 1842. In November, 1868, he landed in Pottawatomie
County, Kan., settling in Wamego Township, March 1, 1871, he moved on to a farm which he
had bought, and where he now lives. He is an extensive farmer and stock-grower, owning and
cultivating 240 acres of prairie land. He has been School Director and Clerk, and Township
Trustee for the last three years. He was married, December 13, 1870, in Morgan County,
Ill., to Miss Mary Robinson. They have two children: George W., born December 1, 1873;
Lula May, born January 23, 1879
D. A. DUCKWORTH, M. D., was born in
Putnam County, Ind., June 16, 1841. At the age of fourteen, he removed to Davis County,
Iowa, where he lived until 1862, when he entered the army, enlisting as a private in
Company G of the Second Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He was promoted to Hospital Steward, and
served in the Sixteenth Corps, until the capture of Atlanta, when he was transferred to
the Fifteenth Corps, and served through the war. After the war engaged in farming in Iowa,
and studied medicine. Graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1877. Same year he
came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Pottawatomie County. A year later, he moved to
Louisville, and has been in practice there since. He has held the office of Coroner of the
County, two terms. He is a K. T. Mason, and belongs to the I. O. O. F. He was married,
March 17, 1870, at Florence, Iowa, to Miss S. F. Hunter. They have five children: Georgia
W., Otis, Omar, Orton and Otto
J. W. FULTON, County Surveyor, was born in Athens County,
O., November 29, 1841. He was educated at the Ohio Wesleyan University, taking the
"Scientific Course." He entered the U. S. Army, October 7, 1861, as the First
Lieutenant of Company G; of Fifty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was promoted to a
Captaincy, August 19, 1862. Resigned September 27, 1964. Returning to Ohio, began business
as a merchant at Amesville. In 1868, came to Kansas, bringing with him a steam saw-mill,
which he located five miles from Louisville, Pottawatomie Co. In 1875, sold out the mill,
and was engaged in various occupations until 1877, when he was elected County Surveyor.
Was re-elected in 1879, and 1881. He is a member of the Masonic Order. Was married March
21, 1872, at Louisville, Kan., to Mrs. Kate Bain. They have two children, Adelbert and
ABE GILTNER, County Treasurer, was born in Morgan County,
Ill., June 9, 1837. Was a farmer and stock-raiser and was largely engaged in shipping
stock from Kansas for several years before locating in the State. In 1874 he removed to
Kansas, locating at Belvue, Pottawatomie County, where he was engaged in feeding and
shipping stock until 1879, when he was elected Treasurer of Pottawatomie county and
re-elected two years thereafter. Term expires in October 1884. He is a member of the
Masonic Order and the I. O. O. F. He was married March 20, 1873, at Ashland, Ill., to Miss
Carrie F. Shortt. They have two children, Abe and Kate.
JAMES GRAHAM, Sheriff of Pottawatomie
County, was born in the County of Cork, Ireland, December 28, 1845. When he was a child
his parents emigrated to America, living for a short time in New York City, and
Cincinnati, finally settling in St. Louis, where, in 1849, they both died of that dreaded
scourge-cholera. Orphaned, and without relatives he was taken in charge by the Sisters of
Charity, and placed in the St. Joseph's Orphan Asylum of St. Louis, where he remained
until 1854, when he came with a Mission to the Pottawatomie Indians, landing at St. Mary's
Mission from the steamboat "Excel," June 17, 1854. He became a protege of
Dr. L. R. Palmer, and lived in that gentleman's family until March, 1863, when he enlisted
as a private in Company L of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry. In October, 1864, for meritorious
service, he was promoted to Second Lieutenant of the Company, by the recommendation of
Gen. Thayer. The war having ended, he was mustered out of the service in October, 1865,
and returned home, settling in Louisville. In 1868 he was commissioned by Gov. Crawford,
as First Lieutenant of Company M, Nineteenth Kansas Cavalry. This regiment took an active
part in the campaign against the Indians during the winter of 1868-9, under Gen. Curtis.
Mustered out in the spring of 1869, he returned to Louisville, and engaged in business. In
1881, he was elected Sheriff of the County, and is still in office. He was married March
5, 1867, at Louisville, Kan., to Miss Azzie P. Jackson. They have five children: Clinton
W., born January 11, 1868; Llewellyn J., born March 4, 1870; John J., March 14, 1872; Mary
M., April 29, 1880; Douglass (sic), April 26, 1882
SAMUEL GRIFFITH, farmer, P. O. Louisville,
was born in the County of Donegal, Ireland, in 1829. In 1851 he came to American and for
two years worked in Philadelphia. From thence he went to Woodford County, Ky., where he
worked for Robert E. Alexander, the famous breeder of fast horses. He continued in Mr.
Alexander's employ until 1855, when he came to Kansas, settling at Fort Leavenworth, and
for a year was in the Government service as a teamster and drove to Fort
Laramie in 1856. He left the Government service in 1858 at Leavenworth and continued there
until 1860, when he went to Pike's Peak, where he remained until 1864 and from there went
to Idaho and engaged in mining, and from there he went into British American still in the
capacity of a miner. He returned to Leavenworth City in 1866 and then visited Philadelphia
the spring of 1867, when he returned to Kansas, settling on a farm in Louisville Township
where he now lives engaged in farming. Owns a splendid farm of 340 acres. In 1867 he was
elected Sheriff of the county and served one term. He was married in Pottawatomie County,
Kan., January 25, 1872, to Miss Kate McHan. They have four children: George Sheridan,
Samuel, Minnie and Mary.
Nebraska, County, Nb.
In the late 1800's two railroads crossed south east
of the present location. The town slowly moved to its present location. Slowly, some of
the businesses moved to the north and became NORTH AUBURN. You can tell the difference
between the two towns easy by the buildings. The railroads are no longer there, helping
cause the moving of AUBURN. The oldest town in the state is BROWNS-
VILLE, located on the east border where the
travelers crossed the MISSOURI RIVER. When Nebraska became a state BROWNSVILLE thought
they would be the capitol and even built a city square for the capitol buildings. When
Lincoln was made the capitol, some got upset and moved to the original location of AUBURN,
NEBRASKA, At the railroad crossing. In settler days, this was about 15 miles. A days ride
or trip by wagon. It is said, many times they could see two to three days ahead of the
distance they were able to travel in a day. L. HANNIBAL ("LOTT") CARLEY and his
wife MARGARET ANN are buried here. His father-in-law JOHN DAIGH and his wife SARAH are
buried in the next to each other. NEBRASKA CO. GENEALOGY, Included the civil was story
wrote by CURTIS J. CARLEY and his diary in one of their recent monthly publications. Nov.
1996 GAR post there is named after LOTT. Three years after he past on.
LEROY ANDREW (LEE) CARLEY worked on a farm in
Nebraska the fall of 1926 and the summer of 1927. His wife, OPAL FERN (BURDUE) CARLEY has
a picture of him taken on a farm at that time. I think this was the Alvan Michelson farm
located near Sterling, Johnson Co. Nebraska. Michelson's Henry's and CARLEY'S were all
close friends. Two CARLEY boys and two Michelson boys married Henry sisters.
The question has been asked. What happened to all
the height? Its still around. Simon James Bowland, son of MARGARET (CARLEY) BOWLAND is
6'3". Her grandson James Lowell Hudson is 6'3 1/2". Charles Walter Bechetel,
grandson is over 6'. Gerald Wayne Hallman is over 6'. and a great-grandson, at age 12 is
already 5'5" tall. John David Boone. CURTIS J. CARLEY has two daughters at 6'. There
is little resemblance in the family to L. H. ("LOTT") CARLEY. Possible some with
Simon James and/or KIM W. CARLEY.
OPAL FERN CARLEY PASSED AWAY DEC. 10, 1997. She left behind many family stories that
will last for many, many years Clark is the oldest son of five children. Followed by
Evelyn, Kenneth, Curtis and JoNelle.
This page is dedicated to her memory.
Copyright © 1995 Clark L.