Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Meed’’s Memorial Church,

Nesquehoning, Pa.

Methodist Episcopal / United Methodist

1863-2013, the congregation now 150 years old!

 

 

meeds2.jpgThe history of the Methodist Church in Nesquehoning reaches back to the town’s early years, long before James Meed, for whom the church is named.   Organized on March 2, 1863, the church membership in those days consisted mainly of English and Welsh immigrants who worked in the area’s industry – mainly the anthracite mines.  The first ministers were Rev. Henry H. Davis and Rev. David Trevarrow.  As the congregation grew, they outgrew their church, and so a new church building was proposed.  At this time, James Meed, a former local man, stepped forward and pledged a large amount of money to build the new church.  And so it was that the church was constructed in 1889 – 1890 during the administration of Rev. J. E. Grauley.  When it was consecrated it was named for its benefactor, becoming Meed’s Memorial Church.  The church thrived through the years and despite a couple close brushes with fire, the church remains an active part of Nesquehoning life to this day, its clock tower still one of Nesquehoning’s landmarks.  In later years, when that clock fell victim to age, more benefactors stepped forward.  Although they weren’t from Nesquehoning and were not members of Meed’s Church, the Cipko Brothers, Daniel & Ralph, stepped forward when the Meed clock stopped working.  Their generosity made it possible to get the repairs done and keep Nesquehoning on time.

Many of the church members are buried in Nesquehoning’s Protestant Cemetery, which is sometimes mistakenly referred to as    Meed’s Cemetery

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BOOK 1

Nesquehoning’s Methodist congregation was formed in 1863.  Unfortunately, the earliest records – Book 1 – have been lost.  The ministers during that period include:

Rev. H. H. Davis (2 years)

Rev. Stechter (1 year)

Rev. S. H. Risdon (1 year)

Rev. Chriss (1 year)

Rev. J. T. Swindell (2 years)

Rev. J. W. Bradley (2 years)

Rev. Condry (1 year)

Rev. G. J. Conoway (1 year)

Rev. Cooper (1 year)

Rev. R. Drake (1 year)

Rev. Morely (1 year)

Rev. J. H. Sampson (1 year)

Rev. David Wiangert (1 year)

Rev. H. L. Reese (2 years)

Rev. C. R. Cook (3 years)

 

BOOK 2

Record of Pastors during the period of book 2:

                        PASTOR                      Appointed        Removed                 Notes

Thompson, A. Atwood

1884/03

1886/03

Illman, F.

1886/03

1889/03

Grauley, J.

1889/03

Church to be built and Parsonage refurnished

Grauley, J.

1890/03

Grauley, J.

1891/03

1892/03

Church built and parsonage considerably furnished

McIlwain, Robert A.

1892/03

1895/03

Mervine, C. S.

1895/03

1898/03

3 years

Bradley, J. W.

1898/03

1900/03

2 years

Perkinpine, J. Wesley

1900/03

3 years

Swindell, John

1903/03

1904/03

1 year

Macnede, W. K. (?)

1904/03

1907/03

3 years

Barne, B. A.

1907/03

1910/03

3 years

 

 

Baptisms 1880 – 1901 (listed alphabetically)

            Baptisms A to G

            Baptisms H to N

            Baptisms P to Z

 

Marriages 1885 – 1900 (listed chronologically)

           

           

 

BOOK 3 (coming soon)

            Record of Pastors

Baptisms 1900 – 1941 (listed alphabetically)

            Marriages 1900-1940 (listed chronologically)

           

 

Research, website

&

text

by

 

Jack Sterling

March 2013