Medical History of Carbon County –
DR. R. LEONARD, MAUCH CHUNK
Pages 623 To 629
No Physician resided within the limits of Carbon County previous to the mining of coal and the improvement of the Lehigh River for the purpose of conveying it to market.
Benjamin Rush McConnell, M. D., a native of Philadelphia and a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, was probably the first regular physician to locate in the county. He located at Mauch Chunk, as the physician of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company, about 1824, and lived there until 1840, practicing his profession and also engaged in mercantile pursuits for a part of the time; then removed to Summit Hill, where he continued to practice as the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company’s physician for many years. He died at Summit Hill, in 1861.
Dr. John D. Thompson, a native of Menden, N. J., located at Weissport in 1826. He was for a long time the only physician in the lower part of the county. He removed to Mauch Chunk in 1840, where he continued to reside and practice until his death, which occurred from cholera in 1854.
Rensselaer Leonard, M.D., was born April 12, 1821, at Hancock, Delaware Co., N. Y. In 1837 he removed with his father’s family to Elm Valley, near Wellsville, Allegany Co., N. Y., and in 1841 com-…
…menced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. G. B. Jones, of Wellsville, and graduated from the Castleton Medical College in Vermont, Nov. 24, 1845, part of the last year’s study having been in the office of J. R Hartshorn, M.D., at Alfred Centre. After graduating in medicine he practiced for a time with Dr. Jones, in Wellsville, and then traveled for about one year, giving popular lectures on anatomy and physiology, illustrating the subject with a manikin.
Acquaintances formed while traveling induced him to locate in the anthracite coal region, and in December, 1847, he removed to Beaver Meadow, and became the assistant of Dr. A. B. Longshore, who had contract of attending the families of the employees at the coal-mines of the region, and also the people employed by the Beaver Meadow Railroad Company in operating their road and in their shops at Weatherly. He remained in the employ of Dr. Longshore until the great freshet of September, 1850, which nearly destroyed the Beaver Meadow Railroad, and so injured the mines as to suspend all operations for six months or more. Most of the men and many whole families seeking employment and homes elsewhere, the doctor joined in the general exodus, and located at Llewellyn, Schuylkill Co., as physician for several of the mining villages in that neighborhood. In 1852, Dr. Longshore removing from Beaver Meadow to Hazleton, Dr. Leonard took his place at Beaver Meadow, where he practiced until the fall of 1854, when two of the physicians of Mauch Chunk, Dr. Thompson and Righter, having died during the cholera epidemic of that year, he removed to Mauch Chunk.
Dr. Leonard takes a deep interest in all societies and associations for the promotion of interests and efficiency of the medical profession, and has had many of their honors conferred upon him. He is now (1884) a member and president of the Carbon County Medical Society; also a president of the Lehigh Valley Medical Association, a member of the Pennsylvania State Medical Society, and one of the censors of the Sixth Medical District of the State, a member of the National Medical association of the United States, and one of the consulting surgeons to St. Luke’s Hospital, at Bethlehem, and one of the pension surgeons of Carbon County. The doctor has always been a decided politician, and was elected associate judge by the Democratic party in 1876, served five years, and declined being a candidate in 1881, giving way for the Hon. Harry E. Packer.
The doctor is the seventh in descent form John Leonard, one of the first settlers of Springfield, Mass., the family having a record of residence in that town since 1636. Among other relics of the family the doctor has the military stock, with its silver buckles, worn by his great-grandfather, Col. David Leonard, during the Revolutionary war. The doctor married, January, 1849, Sarah S., oldest daughter of Dr. E. L. Boyd, of Wilkesbarre.
Philip DeYoung, a native of Berks County, a graduate from the University of Pennsylvania, located in Mauch Chunk in 1836, and opened the first drugstore in the county. He practiced medicine and surgery for several years, then removed to Philadelphia in 1844, where he followed his profession until his death occurred in 1880.
Thomas Drake, M.D., a native of Wilkesbarre, Pa., located at Mauch Chunk in 1845, residing there for about two years, when his health failing he returned to Wilkesbarre, where he died about 1850. He was a man of much ability, varied learning, and a good surgeon.
Ludwig, I. Flentje, M.D., a native of Germany, located in Mauch Chunk in 1847, as physician, surgeon, and apothecary, making diseases and operations upon the eye a specialty. He was a man of high culture, varied learning and a fine musical talent. He died in 1882 of cancer of the tongue.
W. W. Righter, M.D., studied in the office of his uncle, the late Dr. Willson, of Berwick, Pa., and after graduating practiced successfully in Berwick for several years. Removed to Mauch Chunk in 1850. Died of Cholera during an epidemic of that disease in the summer of 1854. He was a popular and skillful physician and surgeon, and a man of fine social qualities.
George W. Masser, M.D., a native of Northumberland County, Pa., located in Mauch Chunk in 1844, purchasing the drug-store and practice of Dr. DeYoung. He removed to Scranton in 1854, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1869. He served for a time as volunteer surgeon in the army during the war of the Rebellion.
Dr. A. I. Bross removed from Berwick, Pa., to Mauch Chunk in 1854. His health failing, he returned to Berwick, and died of consumption in 1857.
Richard Fields, a native of Yorkshire, England, studied in Edinburgh, Scotland, and emigrated to this country, and settled in Mauch Chunk in 1847, where he practiced until 1853, when he returned to England, and soon after emigrated to Australia, where he died in 1859 or 1860.
H. R. Linderman, M.D., a native of Pike County, Pa., located in Nesquehoning in 1851, and practiced there till 1853, when, receiving the appointment of clerk in the mint, he removed to Philadelphia. He never practiced medicine afterwards, except to volunteer his services to Mauch Chunk during the cholera epidemic of 1854. All the resident physicians except Dr. J. B. Linderman, his brother, being stricken and dying of the disease, he was excused from his duties at the mint, and rendered very efficient and acceptable services to the afflicted of the stricken town. He became general superintendent or director of all mints. He died in Washington, D.C., of Bright’s disease of the Kidneys.
Dr. Bolles located in Beaver Meadow about 1836; removed to Tunkhannock about 1840, and died several…
… years ago. He was succeeded at Beaver Meadow by Dr. R. M. Stanbury, who remained there until 1846. He subsequently went to California, where he died. His successor at Beaver Meadow was A. B. Loughran, M.D., a native of Luzerne County, graduate of Jefferson Medical College, 1846. He attended all the men and families by subscription or monthly payments, being employed by the operators of the Beaver Meadow mines and Beaver Meadow Railroad, all the employees of the shops at Weatherly and the mines at Jeansville and Coleraine. He resided in Beaver Meadow until 1852, when he moved to Hazleton, where he died in 1875. He was a man of great industry and had much experience in treating diseases and accidents peculiar to mining and the operating of railroads, and treated them with great skill and success.
A. Zeigenfuss, M.D., a native of Montgomery County, Pa.; graduated at Jefferson Medical College, came to Carbon County about 1855, and located at Buck Mountain, as assistant to Dr. D. K. Shoemaker, physician in charge of the Buck Mountain Coal Company’s mines; practiced with Dr. Shoemaker for three or four years, then removed to Jeanesville, and was assistant to Dr. Redfield, who had charge of the Jeansville and Audenried mines. Dr. Shoemaker removing to Mauch Chunk in 1859, Dr. Zeigenfuss took his place as physician for the mines, and retained the position until his death, which occurred in 1869.
Michael Thompson, M.D., a native of England, came to America with his father when young; was first a mechanic; afterwards studied medicine, graduating at the Jefferson Medical College in 1861; soon after entered the army as assistant surgeon of volunteers; resigned his commission, and settled at Summit Hill, Carbon Co., in 1863, where he had an extensive practice until his last sickness and death in 1876.
Dr. George J. Kost, a native of Germany, located for the practice of medicine at Lehigh Gap in 1841; removed to Weissport in 1858, where he died in 1866. He was a man of great activity, and enjoyed an extensive practice.
J. G. Ohl, M.D., a native of Columbia County, Pa.; graduated at Jefferson Medical College in 1855, and immediately afterwards located at Summit Hill, and soon obtained an extensive practice. He died in 1863.
Thomas Higgins, M.D., a native of Northumberland County, Pa.; graduated from one of the Philadelphia medical colleges, and located at Nesquehoning in 1847. He removed from there to Tamaqua, in Schuylkill County, in 1850, where he died in 1868.
Horace D. Young, M.D., a native of Northampton County, Pa.; graduated from Pennsylvania Medical College in 1861; soon after located at Goulsborough for one year; then entered the army as volunteer surgeon, and served through Pope’s Virginia campaign, and also at Antietam. He left the army, and settled in Mauch Chunk in 1863, where he soon secured a large practice, which he retained until the time of his death, which occurred suddenly by apoplexy, in May, 1882.
O. A. Rives, M. D., a native of Chatham County, N. C.; graduated from the New Orleans School of Medicine in 1861; located at Parryville, in this county, in 1871; removed to Nesquehoning in 1873. His health failing, he removed from the county in 1882, and died in 1883.
Flemmington Webster, M.D., a native of Lycoming County, Pa.; graduated from the Albany Medical College, New York, in 1856. He located at Weatherly in 1859 (the first physician resident in that place), where he practiced until 1869, when he removed, gave up practice, and, leading an irregular life, died in 1882.
Dr. N. G. Warbus, a native of Easton, Pa., located at Rockport as physician for the Buck Mountain Coal Company in 1848. He retired from practice in 1851, and for two or here years kept the Rockport Hotel, then removed to Hazleton, and in 1854 removed to Oregon, and subsequently to Washington Territory, where he died several years ago.
Anthony Dimmick, M.D., graduated from the Jefferson Medical College in 1861; located at Audenried as physician for the mines at Audenried, Yorktown, etc., employing one or more assistants for several years. He died of pneumonia in 1880.
There are a number of physicians, now dead, who have practiced much in this county, of whose antecedents or subsequent career but little can now be learned, among them Dr. Jackson, who practiced in Mauch Chunk in 1836 and 1837, removed to Wilkesbarre, and from there to Sullivan County. He has been dead many years.
Dr. McConalogue, a native of Ireland, came to Summit Hill about 1850; died in 1875.
Dr. Jacob G. Zern is a descendant, in the fifth generation, of Adam Zern, who emigrated from Germany at an early day, and settled in Montgomery County, Pa., where he became one of the pioneers of that now populous county. The line of descent is Adam 1, Abraham2, Abraham3, Jacob4, and Jacob G. Zern5. His parents are Jacob and Sophia (Gilbert) Zern, of Montgomery County. The former has been an active minister of the Evangelical Association for over a quarter of a century, and is well known throughout the eastern section of Pennsylvania as a man of piety and a useful and valuable minister of Christ.
Dr. Zern was born in New Hanover township, Montgomery County, Pa., Feb. 24, 1845. The earlier years of his life were passed in farming pursuits, during which time he also attended the district schools of his native locality until he attained his eighteenth year. He subsequently received instruction at the State Normal School at Millersville, and, after pursuing his studies at that institution, engaged in teaching school in Lancaster County. In the summer of 1865 he en-…
… listed as a soldier in Company C, One Hundred and Ninety-fifth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. After leaving the army he commenced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. S. B. Detwiler, of Montgomery County, and subsequently attended lectures in the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, from which institution he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1868. Soon after his graduation he located in the practice of his profession at Weissport, where he soon earned a place among the successful practitioners of Carbon County, and where he is still in the enjoyment of a large and lucrative practice. He has identified himself, also, with the business interests of his locality, and is a director of the Lehigh Valley Emery-Wheel Company, at Weissport, and the First National Bank of Lehighton. He enjoys the confidence of his neighbors and friends, and has filled many positions of trust and responsibility in connection with local affairs. In 1878 he was elected to represent Carbon County in the State Legislature, and was re-elected in 1880. While a member of that body he was appointed to serve on such important committees as the Judiciary, Federal Relations, Constitutional Reform, Insurance, and Mining, and represented his constituency in an able and satisfactory manner. He is one of the self made, progressive, growing men of the county, and held in general respect by a large circle of acquaintances. He is a member of the State Medical Society of Pennsylvania, and also of the Carbon County Medical Society, of which he was the first president, and takes an earnest and active part in all movements tending to advance the interests of his profession. His wife is Ella M., daughter of the late Abraham and Margaret (Fenner) Edinger, of Monroe County, Pa., where her father was a prominent and enterprising citizen. The two children are Harry and Katie Zern.
Dr. J. C. Kreamer. —On Oct. 6, 1806, in the township of Lower Nazareth, Northampton Co., at Hecktown, was born J. N. Kreamer, the father of the subject of this sketch. Mr. Kreamer followed merchant tailoring for a period of over thirty years, when he retired from business cares and settled down to faming, which he continued until the time of his death, which occurred March 23, 1873. He married Miss Julia N. Snyder, who was born at Lehigh Gap, in the year 1808. Her father, Daniel Snyder, was by trade a tanner and currier. She, as a young lady, enjoyed all the educational advantages that were available in those days. She proved herself to be a most worthy mother. Their married life resulted in the birth of seven children, of whom J. C. Kreamer was the eldest. He was born at the old homestead, at Hecktown, Dec. 18, 1833. His younger days were spent in securing an education. At the age of sixteen, finding a better education needed than could be derived from public schools, he went to Allentown, Pa., where he spent two years at the Reynolds’ Seminary, which was the building now known as the Muhlenberg College. From here, in 1855, he went to Seigersville, Lehigh Co., where he began to read medicine under the instruction of Dr. Josiah Kern. He remained there as a student for two years, when, having prepared himself, he matriculated at the Pittsfield Berkshire Medical College, Massachusetts, where he attended a full course of lectures, graduating from the same in 1859, from which place he returned to Aquashicola, Carbon Co., Pa., his present home. He began practicing here, and has continued until the present time. In 1865 he was elected coroner of Carbon County for a term of three years. In the fall of 1877 the doctor was honored by the county of Carbon in making him their representative in the State Legislature at Harrisburg, Pa., where he served his term of office with great credit to himself and his constituents. He has given his personal attention for nine years to the public schools of his town, which have flourished under his supervision. He is at this time president of the Carbon Industrial Society. He has been a member, since its organization, of the Carbon County Medical Society. He is also a director and secretary of the Framers’ Fire Insurance Company, of Millport, Pa.
On Dec. 12, 1858, he married Miss Mary, daughter of Daniel & Elizabeth Schier, who was born Oct. 17, 1836. She had all the advantages and opportunities that were afforded to farmers’ daughters. The issue of their union resulted in three children, two of whom are living, --Misses Emma E. and Lilly J., -- who have both had most excellent opportunities of obtaining educations.
While the doctor has established an enviable reputation and practice by his knowledge, carefulness, and skill as a physician, he has found some time to give to the cultivation of a beautiful tract of land immediately surrounding his home, which by careful supervision of the work has made him the happy possessor of one of the finest farms in Carbon County.
In Dr. Kreamer we have an example of true manhood and a modest, unassuming gentleman, who by his culture and gentleness of manner commands the respect of all who know him.
Among physicians who have practiced in Carbon County, but who are now located elsewhere, the first deserving of notice is Dr. David Hunter, a veteran o the profession, now eighty-two years old, living on his farm near Tamaqua, Pa. Dr. Hunter was one of the pioneer physicians of the county, location at Lowerytown, now Lehigh township, near Rockport, in 1826, his practice extending over an extensive territory, thinly inhabited by lumbermen and such squatters as are usually found in a wild frontier country. Of roads there being next to none, the doctor found it most convenient to make his visits on foot, as it enabled him to take advantage of by-paths and cross-cuts, besides giving him the advantage of carrying and using his rifle, the spoils from which were fre-…
…quently the most profitable part of the trip. Mines being opened at Beaver Meadow, he located there after a few years of the bushwhacking practice of Lowerytown.
The practice of medicine being insufficient to occupy his time, or not remunerative enough to satisfy a reasonable ambition, caused him to look about for other means of employing his time or other sources of profit. He thus became interested in the manufacture of blasting-power for the mines. This eventually located him in Tamaqua, somewhere about 1834 or 1835, where he was the leading physician and surgeon of the place and vicinity until age suggested the propriety of retiring from active life. As before stated, he is now living retired upon a farm, respected by all who know him.
W. L. Richardson, M.D., a native of Susquehanna County, Pa., a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, practiced for some time in his native county, then located at Nesquehoning as physician for the mines about 1854; removed to Montrose, where he now resides, about 1873. He has ever been a faithful and conscientious physician, kind and attentive to his patients, gentlemanly and courteous to his brother practitioners. Always a strict observer of the code of medical ethics, he is an active member of the county medical societies where he has resided, also of the State Medical Society and the National Medical Association.
J. B. Linderman, M.D., a native of Pike County, Pa., graduated from the Medical Department of the University of New York in 1851; practiced for a time in Orange County, N. Y.; removed to Nesquehoning in 1853, taking the place of his brother, who had received an appointment in the United States Mint at Philadelphia. After a year’s residence in Nesquehoning he located in Mauch Chunk, and practiced until 1858, when, becoming interested in the mining and shipping of coal, he relinquished the profession of medicine. He is now residing on Fountain Hill, South Bethlehem, extensively engaged in the mining of coal and iron, and manufacture of iron and steel.
John B. Longshore, M.D., a native of Philadelphia, graduated at the Pennsylvania Medical College in 1846. After practicing for a time in Bucks and afterwards in Luzerne County, he located at Beaver Meadow in the fall of 1854, where he resided and practiced until 1881, when he sold his residence and practice to C. L. Allen, M.D., from Williamsport, who is now in practice in that place. Dr. Longshore is now living retired from the profession on a farm near Lambertville, N. J. He was for many years physician to the Middle Coal-Field Poor District, poor-house and hospital, and for one term a director of the district; always took an active part in township affairs; served as school director and justice of the peace, and was a very useful man generally.
D. K. Shoemaker, M.D., a native of Montgomery County, graduated at Jefferson Medical College in 1845; practiced for a time in his native county; removed to Rockport as physician to the Buck Mountain Coal-Mines, and was the first physician to the poor-house of the Middle Coal-Field District. He resided at Rockport from 1851 until 1859; when he moved to Mauch Chunk; was appointed lazaretto physician to the port of Philadelphia by Governor Curtin in 1861, and served for three years. Is now practicing in the city of Philadelphia.
Horace Ladd, M.D., a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, a native of Philadelphia, came to Summit Hill in 1851; removed to Mauch Chunk in 1854; left there to locate in Scranton, Pa., in 1859; removed from Scranton to Philadelphia in 1880, where he is now practicing.
J. H. Wyeth, A.M., M.D., a native of England, Methodist preacher, came to this country about 1852. Becoming interested in the microscope, he wrote a book entitled the “Microscope for Popular Use.” This brought him in contact with medical men, and he studied medicine and graduated at the University of Pennsylvania. He first located at Port Carbon, Schuylkill Co.; removed to Jeanesville, Luzerne Co., and from there to Mauch Chunk in 1861. In 1862 he made application for admission to the regular army as surgeon, and was appointed assistant surgeon, and ordered to report at San Francisco, Cal., and obeyed the order. Soon finding the pay of assistant surgeon was insufficient for the support of a wife and seven children, he resigned his commission in the army and joined the conference as a stationed preacher. Soon after he received the position of professor and president of the faculty of Wilmot College, in Oregon, which he held one year; then returned to California, where at last accounts he was preaching and practicing medicine between sermons. He was author of Wyeth’s “Physician’s Pocket Dose Book,” and some other small works, besides the one on the microscope before mentioned.
Dr. Richard Halsey, a native of Delaware County, N. Y., was the first resident physician at Nesquehoning, locating there about 1846; subsequently removed to White Haven in 1848 or 1849, where he now resides.
Alexander McCrea, a native of Mauch Chunk, graduated at the Long Island Hospital Medical College in 1865, and located at Berwick, Columbia Co. His heath becoming impaired from Malaria, he returned to Mauch Chunk and took a partnership in a drugstore, and attended occasionally to practice. Health restored, he again located in Berwick, where he now resides.
B. C. Davis, a native of England, graduate of Jefferson Medical College in 1873, located at Lansford immediately after graduating, and practiced his profession there until 1883, when he removed to Mahoney City, where he now resides.
A. C. Smith, M.D., a native of Warren County, N. J., graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1850, located at Reighsville, Bucks Co., Pa., and re-…
…moved from there to Mauch Chunk in 1863, where he continued his practice until 1874, when his father died, and he removed to Bloomsbury, N. J.; was one of the organizers of the Bloomsbury National Bank, and one of its officers for five years, when he resumed the practice of his profession which he still continues.
There are many other physicians who have resided in Carbon County for a time, and are now living elsewhere, among whom is Dr. Forrist, who lived for a year or more at Weatherly about 1864, then removed to Kansas. Dr. Pearce and Dr. Kiser both practiced in Weatherly for a year or more, the former removing to Hazleton, the latter first to Nesquehoning, and afterwards to Tamaqua. Drs. Walton and McComb practiced at Buck Mountain for a year or two, Dr. Walton removing to Schuylkill County and Dr. McComb to Philadelphia. Dr. Newbaker practiced at Weissport for a year or two about 1864 and 1865, and removed to Montour County. Drs. Ott and Beaver located and practiced for a time in Mahoning Valley; Beaver joined the army, and Ott removed after a residence of a year or more.
The physicians now residing and practicing within the county of Carbon not heretofore mentioned are, --
Dr. Charles S. Gorman, a native of Berks County, Pa., settled at Lehighton in 1843, where he now resides.
N. B. Reber, M.D., a graduate of College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, 1862, located in Lehighton soon after, and is residing there still. He has been for several years examining surgeon for pensions.
Dr. Henry P. Newmiller, a native of Germany, located at Summit Hill in 1856.
William G. M. Seiple, M.D., a native of Lehigh County, graduate of University of Pennsylvania, 1867, practiced first in Lehigh County; settled in Lehighton in 1876.
Dr. P. D. Keiser, a native of Lehigh County, Pa., settled in Mahoning township in 1861; member of Carbon County Medical Society.
Edwin H. Kistler, M.D., a native of Schuylkill County, graduate of University of Pennsylvania, 1870, practiced first in his native county, then located at Summit Hill in 1874. He is a member of the Medical Society of Pennsylvania, and treasurer of Carbon County Medical Society.
B. S. Erwin, M.D., a native of Bethlehem, Pa., graduated of University of Pennsylvania, 1871, located in Mauch Chunk in 1873.
J. B. Tweedle, M.D., a native of Paterson, N. J., graduated at the college of Physicians and Surgeons of New York, 1865, and immediately commenced practice at Weatherly. He is the secretary of the Carbon County Medical Society, a member of the Medical Society of Pennsylvania, and member of the National Medical Association and the Lehigh Valley Medical Association.
Michael J. Donnelly, M.D., a native of Ireland, graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago, 1870, settled at Summit Hill, 1874; is assistant vice-president of the Carbon County Medical Society, and member of the Medical Society of the State of Pennsylvania.
Jacob Bowman, M.D., a native of Adams County, Pa., graduated at Pennsylvania Medical College, 1841, practiced first in Philadelphia, afterwards n New Jersey, and located in East Mauch Chunk in 1878; is a member of the Carbon County Medical Society.
Wesley A. Deshamer, M.D., a native of Carbon County, graduate of Jefferson Medical College, 1875, located same year in Lehighton. He is an active member of the Carbon County Medical Society.
John C. Nivins, M.D., a native of Belfast, Ireland, graduate of Jefferson Medical College, settled at Summit Hill same year.
C. T. Horn, M.D., a native of Carbon County, graduated of College of Physicians, and Surgeons, Baltimore, Md., 1878, located at Lehighton same year; is an active member of the Carbon County Medical Society, and has been one of its vice-presidents.
Wilson L. Kutz, M.D., a native of Bucks County, Pa., graduate of Jefferson Medical College, 1878, settled at Parryville same year; is an active member of the Carbon County Medical Society.
P. H. Latham, M.D., a native of Maryland, graduate of University of Maryland, 1879, settled same year at Weatherly; he is a member of the County Medical Society, and a coroner of the county; also physician for the Middle Coal-Field Poor District.
A. M. Stapp, M.D., a native of Lehigh County, graduate of Bellevue Medical College, N. Y., 1871, located in East Penn township.
Charles L. Allen, M.D., a native of Williamsport, Pa., graduate of Jefferson Medical College, 1880, located at Beaver Meadow soon after; is a member of the County Medical Society.
W. S. Baxter, M.D., a native of Steuben County, N. Y., graduate of College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, 1880; served one year in Baltimore Hospital, and located in Nesquehoning in 1882; is an active member of the County Medical Society.
Charles J. Hoffman, M.D., a native of Northampton County, Pa., a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, 1870, settled at Weatherly, in 1880; is a member of the County Medical Society.
William W. Reber, M.D., a native of Reading, Pa., graduate of University of Pennsylvania, 1878, located at Lehighton.
Dr. L. W. Provost, a native of Chester County, Pa., located at Tremont, Pa., in 1852; removed to Buck Mountain about 1878; is a member of the county society.
George M. Frick, M.D., a native of Buffalo, N. Y., graduate of University of Pennsylvania, 1876, located first at Summit Hill, then at Nesquehoning, and now in East Mauch Chunk.
Russel B. Kirby, M.D., a native of Phillipsburg, N. Y., graduate of the Hahnemann Medical College, Philadelphia, 1879, and settled in Mauch Chunk same year.
T. C. Bunton, M.D., a native of Philadelphia, Pa., graduate of Homœopathic College, Philadelphia, settled in East Mauch Chunk in 1862.
John R. Gillespie, M.D., a native of Brooklyn, N. Y., graduate of the University of New York in 1882, located in Nesquehoning, now in Mauch Chunk.
Joseph A. Horne, M.D., a native of Carbon County, graduate of College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, 1879, and University of Pennsylvania, 1881, located in Mauch Chunk, 1881; is a member of the Carbon County Medical Society.
John T. Holcomb, M. D., a native of Sullivan County, N. Y., graduated at Bellevue Medical College, New York, in 1881, and immediately located at Lehigh Tannery; is a member of the Carbon County Medical Society.
G. E. Kaufman, M. D., a native of France, graduate of Medical Faculty, Paris, 1878, located at Audenried, 1882.
Thomas C. Davis, M.D., a native of Tioga County, Pa., graduate of Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, 1883, settled at Summit Hill.
Charles H. Ott., M.D., a native of Mauch Chunk, graduate of Jefferson Medical College, 1883, settled in Mauch Chunk; is now junior assistant surgeon, S. Luke’s Hospital, Bethlehem.
Charles W. Bowers, M.D., a native of Lehighton, graduate of University of Pennsylvania, 1880, settled in Lehighton.
John J. Thomas, M. D., a native of England, graduated of Jefferson Medical College, 1881, and settled in Lansford.
J. S. Lazerus, M. D., has been in practice at Audenried for several years, first as assistant to Dr. R. Dimmick, and now assistant of Dr. W. R. Longshore, of Hazleton, who has the Audenried practice by contract.
There are several irregular practitioners in the county, or doctors who practice occasionally, or who change location so often that they can hardly be said to have a location, whose names are omitted.
The History of the Counties of Lehigh & Carbon, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,
Alfred Mathews & Austin N. Hungerford
Published in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1884
Transcribed from the original in March 2003
Web page by
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids