E. H. Knerr, Esq.,
for assistance in gathering material
Pages 286 to 297
Including sections on:
LOWHILL, the smallest of the townships of Lehigh County, is bounded on the north by Heidelberg and Lynn, on the west by Weissenberg, on the south by Upper Macungie and South Whitehall, and on the east by North Whitehall. Jordan Creek enters the township on the north, and flows in an exceeding tortuous course to Weidasville, and thence flows northeasterly along the foot of a range of hills out of the township, which, however, it enters farther south. It furnishes power for a number of mills, and Lyon Creek, which empties into the Jordan above Weidasville, turns the wheels of at least one. The soil of this township is well adapted to the raising of wheat, rye, corn, oats, and potatoes, of which rye and potatoes are the principal crops. Along the creeks the land is very fertile, while upon the hills it is not so good. The township is hilly and abounds in springs, which are an important source of the streams we have mentioned. The township contains six school-houses and a half-interest in one in Heidelberg, two churches, four post-offices, five hotels, one tannery, six grist-mills, two saw-mills, and three stores. The people are chiefly engaged in farming.
“The petition of Peter Der that a large tract of land bounded on the east by Whitehall township, on the south by Weissenberg and Macungie townships, and by Heidelberg township on the north, may be formed into a township be allowed.”
There is no record of the bestowal of the name, but from this time forward Lowhill is recognized as a township. “Peter Terr or Der” was appointed constable of Lowhill township Sept. 16, 1755.
Land-Warrants. – The following persons took up land in Lowhill upon warrants dated as here indicated:
Michael Aver, Feb. 9, 1750.................................................. 38
Peter Boll, Aug. 15, 1750..................................................... 38
Valentine Bermirhoff, April 22, 1752............................... 63
Peter Boll, Feb. 9, 1755........................................................ 33
Martin Buchman, March 20, 1767.................................... 42
Martin Buchman, Sept. 28, 1768....................................... 31
John Bear, May 19, 1767..................................................... 54
Adam Cline, March 28, 1751............................................. 217
John Correll, April 26, 1751............................................... 61
John Correll, Nov. 26, 1764................................................ 15
Peter Derr, Feb. 7, 1747....................................................... 51
Peter Doutface, Sept. 26, 1747............................................ 127
Michael Dieber, Nov. 21, 1786........................................... 28
Andrew Eshbach, June 17, 1766........................................ 68
Martin Eighler, March 18, 1767......................................... 67
Martin Eighler, March 18, 1767......................................... 31
Andrew Eshbach, April 28, 1767...................................... 42
George Ebenhart, June 3, 1767.......................................... 44
Martin Entert, Aug. 31, 1767.............................................. 22
Jacob Froch, Oct. 9, 1752...................................................... 36
Henry Fuerbach, Oct. 23, 1753........................................... 91
Peter Frantz, March 11, 1789............................................... 12
Philip Fenstermacher, May 12, 1767.................................. 50
Henry Houser, Oct. 25, 1744................................................ 125
Christian Hoffman, March 17, 1785................................... 42
John Hartman, Feb. 24, 1789................................................ 6
Jacob Horner, March 23, 1767.............................................. 16
John Hartman, Sept. 28, 1768............................................... 2
Michael Kimball, Nov. 21, 1754........................................... 189
Philip Kerger, Jan. 17, 1754.................................................. 41
George Kint, April 14, 1757.................................................. 98
John Klotz, Feb. 1, 1775......................................................... 30
Henry Krellon, April 10, 1766.............................................. 102
Jacob Klotz, March 16, 1767.................................................. 69
Jacob Klotz, Nov. 10, 1767..................................................... 39
Michael Mosser, March 23, 1767.......................................... 79
Peter Neider, March 30, 1768................................................ 53
George Oldwine, Nov. 2, 1758............................................. 59
John Conrad Redd, May 25, 1743........................................ 90
Jacob Riffle, June 3, 1746......................................................... 134
Maudlin Robenholder, April 11, 1749.................................. 94
Andrew Rees, Nov. 15, 1750.................................................. 58
David Riffle, Jan. 8, 1752......................................................... 54
Jacob Row, Oct. 21, 1766......................................................... 58
Zachary Satler, March 6, 1749................................................ 80
Henry Shedd, May 9, 1753...................................................... 57
John Christian Stahl, Nov. 28, 1753....................................... 148
Peter Sell, Oct. 21, 1767............................................................ 40
Andrew Sendell, Oct. 21, 1766................................................ 41
Andrew Slicer, Nov. 10, 1767.................................................. 24
Reynard Vogdeas, Nov. 4, 1745............................................. 126
John Wolfshurter, April 27, 1748........................................... 88
Jacob Weimer, June 7, 1768..................................................... 12
Of these names, only those of Philip Fenstermacher, Peter Frantz, Christian Hoffman, John Hartman, John Klotz, Michael Mosser, Jacob Row, and Peter Sell appear on the assessment-roll of 1781, which would indicate that all of the others who had taken out warrants were non-residents at that time. Following is the roll:
Peter Bohl Jacob Housman
Andrew Buchman John Klotz
Jacob Buchman Abraham Knerr
Nicholas Burger George Knadler
Gabriel Boppenmeyer Henry Kragolo
Conrad Biebelheimer Casper Klotz
Andrew Dobber Peter Kocher
Michael Dieber George Krauss
Jacob Dorner Stofle Keep
Stophel Eiller Martin Keep
Tobias Eber Peter Knodler
John Eber Widow Leisser
Jost Fries Michael Mosser
Philip Fenstermacher Tobias Mosser
Leonard Fry Paul Paulius
Peter Frantz Jacob Rowe
Jacob Fritz Jacob Rowe, Jr.
John Fry George Rowe
Peter Fues Matthias Riffle
Adam Geiss Peter Rish
Simon George George Stern
John George George Sin
George George Andrew Sandle
Jost George Paul Shoemaker
Lawrence George Peter Sell
Henry George George Snyder
Jacob Heilman Ludwig Smith
Jacob Huner Widow Smith
Christian Hoffman Casper Thomas
John Hartman Adam Thomas
Henry Hartman Martin Wuchter
Peter Hartman John Wuchter
Peter Heilman Andrew Knerr
Christian Heilman Jacob Shoemaker
Abram Knerr and Michael Mosser are each assessed six pounds, the highest in the township, and all others are assessed three pounds and below. The total amount of tax was L207 18s. 8d. George Krous was collector.
Of these names, none appear in the assessment- roll of 1781. A Mathias Riffle appears in that year, but does not occur in the assessment of 1812. Peter Ball took out a warrant for land in 1775. The land owned by Henry Fuerboch was sold to John Horner, of New Jersey, who later sold to George Krouss, by whose descendants it is still owned. Peter Derr, who presented the petition to court for the erection of the township, and who was the constable in 1755, had two sons, Peter and Christian, who were in the township from 1812 to 1825, but whose names do not appear in the assessment of 1812. They lived on the…
…farm Daniel Miller now owns. From 1758 till 1764 there are no entries of warrants. In that year John Cowell took out a warrant for fifteen acres. Michael Mosser took out a warrant in March, 1767, for seventy-nine acres of land, but previous to that time, March 12, 1760, he purchased a part of a large tract of land which had been warranted to John Deter Bauman, which warrant bears date May 23, 1751 (his name is not in the list of warrantees). This property later came into possession of Peter Klein, whose son, Jacob settled upon it abut 1806.
Michael Mosser erected a mill on the property he took out by warrant soon after its purchase in 1767. It was on the other side of the creek from what is known as the Hollenbuch Mill, which was erected by Michael Mosser about the year 1800. This mill was in possession of the Mossers until 1845, when John Hollenbuch, a son-in-law of Philip Mosser, became owner, by whom it was held till 1858, when it came into possession of Moses Hollenbuch, the present proprietor.
In 1781, Michael and Tobias Mosser were owners of property, and in 1812, Michael, Tobias, Abraham, and Philip Mosser were owners of real estate.
John Hartman took out a warrant for land at what is now Bittner’s Corners in 1768 and in 1789. Soon after the latter purchase Andreas Bittner, a native of Germany, purchased the property of John Hartman, having previously purchased land adjoining. Here several of his children were born, but about 1800 he moved to Weissenberg, where he died. His children were John, Andreas, Jacob, Peter, Henry, Benjamin, and Daniel, Marie (Mrs. David Wille), Lydia (Mrs. Sebastian Wille), and Katrina (Mrs. Joseph Wille). They all settled in Lowhill and Weissenberg. Jacob was born in Lowhill in 1790, and when he arrived at years of maturity settled upon the land his father purchased many years before. He bought the old Jacob Beeker Mill, and carried it on till about 1863, when he went to Pleasant Corners, in Heidelberg township, and lived with a son, and died about the year 1873, aged
eighty-three years. The mill property came into possession of his son, Jacob Bittner, by whom it is still held. Daniel Bittner, the youngest son of Andreas, came to Lowhill in 1836, and worked at the mill with his brother for a time, and about 1845 started a store at Lyon valley, and soon after a tavern in connection with it. Daniel Bittner is now the proprietor of the Pennsylvania House at Allentown.
Abraham Knerr, the ancestor of the Kneers of Lowhill, was born in the year 1714 (but where is not known), probably in Germany. He came to Lowhill between the years 1748 and 1750, and took up a tract of land at the Jordan Creek, about three hundred acres. He had two sons, John and Andrew. To his son, John, he gave a tract of land in Weissenberg (near where Claussville now is, and at present owned by Levi Knerr), and to his son Andrew he gave the tract at the Jordan (part of it was conveyed to him on May 18, 1784). He died April 21, 1793, at the age of seventy-nine years. He lived in wedlock fifty-two years.
Andrew married Catharine Elizabeth Schall, and had
thirteen children, of whom four died young. Among those who came to maturity
were Abraham, born Jan. 16, 1783 (married to Gertrude Smith), who kept the
hotel at Claussville between the years 1810 and 1820, and later the hotel at
Hynemanville, in Weissenberg. Catharine, born Dec. 23, 1784, married Paul
Kramlich, and settled in Ohio. Andrew, born February, 1787, married Elizabeth
Kocher, and bought a part of the old homestead from his father on Aug. 17, 1816,
and another tract on May 13, 1822, in all about one hundred and fifty acres. He
lived all his life in Lowhill, and died in June, 1865, at the age of
seventy-eight years; his wife died four years before, and both were buried at
the Union Church Cemetery. Anna Maria, born Feb. 10, 1796, married Jacob
Brobst. Two daughters are living, one a widow, Matilda Romig, living at
Allentown with her children and grandchildren and her sister Abbey,
the wife of Levi Knerr, merchant, at Claussville. Elizabeth, born Aug. 27, 1798, married Peter Kuhns, of Lowhill. In the early time of Allentown they kept a hotel at the corner of Tenth and Hamilton
Streets. Her only daughter, Mrs. Mary Young, widow of the late Col. E. B. Young (who was at one time mayor of the city of Allentown), is living at Allentown with her children. Salome, born Aug. 21, 1800, married George Braveber, who left early for Union County, Pa., where her descendants are living. David, born Sept. 29, 1803, married Sarah Horn. He took the original old home where the ancestor, Abraham, first settled, and held the same until his death, which occurred in December, 1864, at the age of sixty-one years. His widow is still living at Allentown. Elias, born April 1, 1806, intermarried to a Miss Peiffer, went to Crawford County, Pa., where he died. His descendants are still living there. Andrew Knerr, Jr., of the third generation, who bought a part of the original tract, had nine children, who came to maturity. Polly, married to Charles Bachman, lived in Washington
township, this county, where her husband conducted a tannery. In the year 1866 they left for Wisconsin, where they are still living. Amos left when young for New York State, and thence went to Kalamazoo, Mich., of which place he was one of the early settlers. He was married there, and died there in 1883. Jonas married Susan Muehlbaus (a daughter of the late John Henry Muehlhaus, who came from Hessen, Germany, and taught German schools in the different parts of the county during the period of the German schools). Jonas and his wife are still living. At his father’s death he bought a tract of twenty-two acres from the old tract, which adjoined his other land. Owen, who first married Susan Geddes, a native of Union County, still living in the township with his second wife, Mary Hartman, a descendant of the old Hartman family of Lowhill. Aaron, who married…
… Mary Hoffman, living at Allentown. Stephen, who left for Kalamazoo, Mich., where he settled and remained during his life; died about seven years ago. Mary, married to Moses Heilman, is living at Allentown. Amelia, who married Alfred B. Hallman, died 1868. Alvin, the youngest, is living in Monroe County, Pa.
Of David Knerr’s family, – Sarah married John Hollenbach, and lived in Lowhill till after the death of her husband, which occurred in the beginning of the seventies, when she was married to Frank Herber, at present living in Weissenberg. Moses, married to Amanda Clauss (a daughter of Daniel Clauss, after whom Claussville was named), is living, and the owner of the old original homestead, of which he came in possession at his father’s death, making a continuous possession to the Knerrs from one generation to the other for about one hundred and thirty-four years. Hiram, married to Leanna Roeder, is living at Washington township. Joseph, married to a Miss Quier, is at present a widower, living at Allentown. Carolina, married to Jon. Kemerer, went to Iowa, where she died. Amanda married Lewis Peter, and died about fifteen years ago. David Franklin, married to Helen Wetherhold, is living at Allentown. John Andrew, married to Sarah Wetherhold, sister of the above, is in Allentown. Louisa, married to James Major, is also living at Allentown. David, the above and his wife, Sarah, had thirteen children. Jonas Knerr, son of Andrew, has three children, - one daughter and two sons. Catharine, married to J. B. Heller, who died 1864, lives at Allentown. Willoughby, married to Martha Schlicker, lives in this township. E. Henry, married to Isabella S. Diehl, is living at Weidasville, holding the office of justice of the peace of Lowhill township.
Owen Knerr’s children are Samuel, living in San Francisco, Cal.; William, living in Dakota Territory; James, married to Amelia Wanamaker, living at Kreidersville, Northampton County; Elizabeth, married to Byron Rupert, living in Monroe County; Ada, married to Willoughby Miller, living at Allentown; Asa, married to Laura Knauss, in North White Hall township; Milton J., in Dakota Territory; Albert Eugene, in Paw Paw, Mich.; and Mary J., Calvin, Emily, and Ida, who, being young, still reside in the township.
Michael Deiber, the ancestor of the Deibers of Lehigh County, emigrated from Sweden to America and settled in North Whitehall, in what is known as Deiber’s Dale, some time prior to 1786, in which year he obtained a warrant. Among his children his son Michael came with him from the mother-country, and when he came to maturity he removed to Lowhill, and by warrant took a whole section of land lying at the Jordan, part of which is now in North Whitehall. He had four sons, - Michael, Daniel, John, Jonathan, - and one daughter.
Michael married Salome Newhard, Daniel married Miss Buchman, John married as his first wife Miss Knauss, and as his second, Miss Moyer, Jonathan married Miss Dreisbach, Catharine married Philipp Peter. Michael had three sons, - Dennis, Reuben, and Solomon, - and one daughter, who died young. He and his brothers took the old tract and divided it, Michael taking that part lying on the south side of the Jordan and John keeping the homestead, and Daniel and Jonathan taking the rest. At his death his two sons, Dennis and Reuben, came in possession, Reuben taking his father’s house and part of the land, and Dennis the other part. Reuben is still living and owns part of the original section; the rest of the land is divided up into small lots, on which the village of Ruhtown stands.
Jacob Klotz, the ancestor of the Klotzs of Lowhill, emigrated from Germany with his wife, who was born in Uteloch. He took out a warrant for a tract of land in Lowhill in March of 1767, and another in
November of the same year, lying between the site of the Morgenlander Church and the Jordan (now owned by Owen Knerr). They had two sons, John and Caspar. John married Franconia Krouse, and took out a warrant for thirty acres of land in Lowhill in February, 1775. In 1781, John and Caspar Klotz were each assessed on land in Lowhill township.
John had five sons - John, George, Jacob, Christian, and Daniel, the latter being twins - and four daughters, - Barbara, Polly, Catharine, and Maria.
John, Jacob, Christian, and Daniel all settled in Mahoning township, Carbon Co., where they died. The Hon. Robert Klotz, of Mauch Chunk, is a son of Christian, and has the baptismal record of his father and other records of the family. George kept the old homestead.
John took that part lying near where now the Morgenlander Church stands, and erected a building thereon, but later moved to East Penn township, Mahoning, Carbon Co. About the year 1825, George, the father and grandfather of the Klotzs, of Lowhill, opened a hotel at the old stand, which he kept till a few years before his death, when he sold his property to his sons, Jess and George. He had nine sons, - Abraham, who died at the age of sixteen,; Andrew, married to Catharine Semmel; George, by his first marriage, to a Miss Haas, and by his second, to a Mrs. Sell, a born Dormoyer; Stephen, to Julia Weeder; Joel, by first marriage, to a Miss Hausman, and by his second, to a Mrs. Kern; Peter, to a Miss Lowrey; Jesse, to Lucinda Smith; David, who died single; and William; also two daughters, - Sallie, married to Jacob Miller; and Elizabeth, to Elias Stettler. Andrew lived in the township until his death, which occurred about seven years ago; his wife died a few years before. They are both buried at the Morgenlander Church. They had eight children who came to maturity, of whom Reuben and Solomon are still living in the township, and the others in different parts of the country.
George had three sons and four daughters. He owned a part of the old tract, and at his death his youngest son, George, came in possession and is still the owner of it. He died about twelve years ago, and was buried at the Morgenlander Church. His other son, Frank, owned a farm near the old homestead (where he died about seven years ago), and it is still in possession of the heirs. His daughters are living at Allentown.
Stephen and his wife are living in the township.
Jesse, who had the old homestead, sold it to one of George’s sons, Frank, in the year 1869 and moved to Allentown, where he is still living with his wife and one son. His two daughters are also living at Allentown, and one son in Northampton County and the other in Iowa.
Joel owned a farm on the road leading from Claussville to Fogelsville, where he kept for a long time a hotel, and where, in early times, Balzer Fritz and, later, Andrew Shiferstine kept store and hotel. He had six sons and four daughters. One of the sons died young. Of the living, Meno is in the township, Jeremiah keeps a hotel at Guthsville, Thompson is in Iowa, Richard is a miller at Cedar Creek, and Frank (also a miller) in Ohio; Maria was married to Edwin Heberly, at Seigersville; Sallie, to John George, at Weissenberg; Matilda, to T. D. Frey, prothonotary, at Allentown; and Louisa, to Frank Good, at Seigersville, who died one year ago. She died a few years before, and both are buried at the Morgenlander Church. His second wife is living at Allentown. William left when young for Iowa, where he is still living. Sallie, married to Jacob Miller, is still living at Allentown. Elizabeth, married to Elias Stettler, is also living at Allentown.
The land of which the Shoemachers came in possession was first surveyed on a warrant dated Nov. 4, 1745 (containing one hundred and fifty acres, lying near the Jordan, in the upper part of the township), to one Raynard Vogdeas, who, on the 21st of May, 1746, conveyed the land to John Johnston, who assigned all his right to the said warrant and land to Joseph Johnston on May 10, 1789, who, on the 2nd of July, 1789, assigned the same to Paul Schumacher, the ancestors of the Schumachers of Lowhill. Among his children Jacob remained in the township, and his father by deed confirmed the said warrant to him on Dec. 26, 1789. He (Jacob) had three sons, one of whom died young, and John and Peter still living, the former at the age of ninety years (he being the oldest inhabitant of Lowhill), and Peter, living at Allentown, aged eighty; Elizabeth married a Becker, Catharine married John Holben, Eve died young; Lydia, who married Dan Hollenbach, is still living. John had five sons - John, Peter, Benjamin, John, and Daniel - and three daughters, - Caroline, Fyenna, and Sallie. John, Benjamin, Daniel, and Sallie are still inhabitants of the township. Peter had three sons - Solomon and Jacob, and one died young - and two daughters. His son Solomon is living in the township, and Jacob is in Indiana.
Jacob (to whom Paul conveyed his land on Dec. 26, 1789) granted the same to his sons, John and Peter, on Dec. 7, 1833.
John sold his part to his sons, Benjamin and Daniel, and Peter, on the 21st of April, 1868, sold his tract (fifty-three acres) to his son, Jacob, who, on March 2, 1880, sold it to Daniel (a son of John), who,
on the 27th of June, 1882, sold it to his sister, Sallie.
Peter Klein, a native of
Germany, settled in Weissenberg, adjoining the family of Grim. About 1800 he
purchased a tract of land of Michael Mosser, which was warranted by John Deter
Bouman. His son, Lorentz, moved upon this land, stayed a few years, and
returned home. John Jacob Klein, a younger brother, married Susanna, a daughter
of Peter Gross, of Whitehall township, and settled upon this farm about the
year 1806. He lived upon it all his days, and died there. His sons were
Jonathan, Charles, Joseph, Samuel, David, and Solomon. Jonathan and Samuel
settled near Laury’s Station, where they died. Charles settled in Weissenberg,
on the homestead of his grandfather. Joseph
settled in the upper part of the township, and rebuilt the old Fenstermacher mill in 1848. He lived at the place seventeen years, and then moved to Allentown, where he now resides. David settled on the
homestead, and remained there ten years, and moved to North Whitehall, where he now lives. Solomon lived upon the homestead, and about 1873 built the present mill, now owned by James Schlicker. He later moved to Hokendauqua, and now resides in Allentown. Of the daughters, Polly
became the wife of the Hon. David Laury, of Laury’s Station. She died in 1878; Sarah (Mrs. James Newhard) now resides in North Whitehall; Catharine (Mrs. Reuben Newhard) resided in the same township till after the death of her husband, when she moved to Allentown, where she now resides; Hetty (Mrs. Daniel Nagle) moved to Ohio; Hannah (Mrs. Ephraim T. Long) settled in Egypt, Whitehall township; Maria (Mrs. Charles Deshler) died in 1870; Susanna (Mrs. Josiah Shirer) settled in North Whitehall.
George Knauss purchased the land now owned by his grandson, Reuben Knauss, before 1781, of James Horner, who purchased it of the warrantee, Henry Fuerbach. He had three sons, - Andrew, Jacob, and John. Andrew settled on the homestead, where his son, Reuben, now resides. Jacob removed to Lynn township, and John to Weissenberg.
Peter Koehn, a resident of the township before 1781, lived above Bittner’s Corners. Elias Koehn, now in the township, is a descendant.
Philip Fenstermacher, in May, 1767, warranted sixty-seven acres, and later purchased other land. He lived here until his death, which occurred before 1812. He left two sons - Jacob and John - and three
daughters, Mrs. Jonathan Klotz, Mrs. John George,…
…and Mrs. Hantz. Klotz and Hantz settled beyond the Blue Mountains, and
George in Heidelberg. Jacob settled on the homestead, and also owned the mill
which was built by his father, Philip. He died Feb. 11, 1829, aged fifty-four
years, and left sons, - Jonas, Charles, and Elias, - and daughters, Judith
(Mrs. Jonas Klein), Polly (Mrs. Solomon
Ziegler), and Mrs. Peter Troxell, of Reading. Jonas and Charles are farmers in the township, Elias and Mrs. Jonas Klein reside in Allentown, Mrs. Ziegler settled at the mill property, which came into possession of her husband. In 1848, Joseph Klein purchased the mill and rebuilt and enlarged it. It now belongs to William Frey.
Martin Buchman took out a warrant for forth-two acres of land March 20, 1767, and for thirty-one acres Sept. 28, 1768. His name does not appear among the property-owners in 1781, but Andrew and Jacob Buchman were then in possession of his lands. In 1812, Andrew, Peter, and John were assessed. Andrew settled on land now owned by Solomon Haas. He had two sons, - Peter and Andrew. Peter settled on the homestead; his sons, Peter and Levi, live in Allentown; Andrew located on land north
of the homestead.
Jacob Zimmerman, the first of
the name in Lowhill, was born in Upper Macungie. His wife Kathrina
(Knoppenberger) was also a native of Upper Macungie. The parents of Jacob were
George Wendel Zimmerman and Elizabeth Ziegler. His father, who was a native of
Germany, emigrated to this locality, married and settled in Upper Macungie, and
died Oct. 5, 1823, aged seventy-eight years. His wife also died at the same time,
and they were buried in one grave. Jacob, one of his sons, came
to Lowhill in 1809, and settled on land now in possession of Reuben, a great-grandson. His children were, - Jacob, born April 4, 1799; Jonathan, Charles, Solomon, Julia (Mrs. Stephen Blois), Lydia (Mrs.
Peter Miller), and Polly (Mrs. Daniel Bittner). Jacob married Elizabeth, a daughter of Valentine Werley. He was a surveyor by profession, and was appointed justice of the peace in January, 1832,
and served till his death, April 30, 1883. He kept the hotel and store at Lyon Valley many years. His son Edwin now lives in Allentown.
Jonathan, brother of Jacob,
settled on the homestead, and died there. His son, Reuben, now occupies the
farm. Julia (Mrs. Stephen Blois) settled in Washington township. Charles was a
carpenter, resided in Allentown, and died in 1871. Solomon and his sister Lydia
(Mrs. Peter Miller) reside in Heidelberg. Polly (Mrs. Daniel Bitner) resides in
Allentown. Mrs. Diehl and Mrs. Sherer, sisters of the first Jacob,
settled in Lowhill township, where they have descendants.
In 1781 there were assessed Simon, John, George, Jost, Lawrence, and Henry, of the family of George. In 1812, Andrew George and Christianna George (a widow) were the only ones whose names appeared. Jacob George, born in 1795, married the daughter of Jacob Woodring, and in 1826 became the landlord of the “Leather Corner Post” tavern, which he kept until his death in 1878, at the age of eighty-seven years. His wife still survives him. John George married a daughter of Philip Fenstermacher and settled in Heidelberg.
John Hartman, who took up land in 1768 and in 1789, was also here in 1801, and lived on Jordan Creek, as in that year, February 13th, the commissioners of Northampton county met at his house and made an agreement with John and Henry Hartman to built a bridge across Jordan Creek, near the house of John Hartman, in consideration of five hundred and ninety-four dollars and eighty-nine cents. The bridge was completed Jan. 11, 1803. In 1812, Christian, Jacob, Henry, and John Hartman were owners of real estate.
Leonard Frey, a native of Germany, settled, prior to 1781, on the farm now owned by Peter Frey, his great-grandson. He had sons, - John, Peter, and Michael. John was here until after 1812, but eventually emigrated to the West. Peter Frey had four sons, - Joseph, Michael, Nathan, and Peter. Joseph settled at Kutztown, where he now is, and the other three remained in Lowhill. Michael died a number of years since.
Peter Weida came from Berks County in 1803, and settled on one hundred and seventy acres of land about two miles north of Weidasville, where he lived until his death in 1837, aged seventy-six years. In 1811 he bought the land on which Weidasville was afterwards built. He had two sons, John and George, the latter of whom lived on the old homestead farm, at the place now owned by Nathan Shiver, and died there many years ago. He left a family, but none of its members are now in the township. John Weida married, in 1807, Elizabeth, daughter of David Kuntz, an old settler of the township. They settled in 1818, or thereabouts, at what is now Weidasville, and there John Weida died in 1864, at the age of seventy-seven. He was for many years a justice of the peace, and was also elected to the General Assembly. His children were Benjamin, Abigail, David, Anna, Peter, Saloma, and Solomon. Benjamin settled on the homestead, and now keeps store there. Abigail (Mrs. Joseph Stein) settled in Weissenberg. David is now in Allentown. Anna (Mrs. Benjamin Kocher) is in North Whitehall. Peter was a farmer many years, and now lives in Allentown. Saloma (Mrs. William
Wetterholt) and Solomon settled in Reading.
Andrew Shifferstine, a step-son of Balzer Fritz, lived about two miles southwest of Weidasville. He was a justice of the peace and kept tavern. He had a large family. His daughter, Eliza (Mrs. Daniel Knerr), settled near Weidasville, and died there in 1877. John settled at White Haven. Nathan now lives at Tamaqua. Maria (Mrs. David Weida) died March 11, 1877, three days after her sister, Mrs. Knerr. Aaron removed to New Orleans. Mary died single. Mrs. Ephraim Yohe, Mrs. Owen Ruhe, Mrs. Joseph Goekle, and Mrs. Wagner were also daughters.
Nicholas Slough, a settler of
Upper Macungie, had a son, Joseph, who about 1830 moved to what is now
Claussville and opened a store there. He now lives there, but is not in
business, having sold the store to Levi Knerr. Two of his sons, F. J. Slough
and W. C. J. Slough, became homoeopathic physicians, and are located respectively
at Allentown and Emaus. Evan, a son of Nicholas Slough, also became a
homoeopathic physician, and is now in south Easton. Another son, Lucas, died in
Allentown in 1882. Two daughters, Mrs. John Shifferestine and Mrs. Solomon Brainard, reside in Upper Macungie.
Henry Acker Jacob Knauss
Andrew Buchman George Klotz
John Buchman Andrew Andrew
Andrew Bittner Jacob Leissa
John Bittner John Lepig
Michael Diebert, Sr. Jacob Muthard
Michael Diebert, Jr. John Muthard
Christian Delong Philip Mosser
Daniel Dieber Solomon Hottenstine
Solomon Delong Michael Moser
Adam Diehl Abraham Moser
Solomon Diehl Tobias Moser
Sebastian Ettel Nicholas Ocher
Michael Eberts Martin Oertal
John Eberts John Peter, Sr.
Conrad Eberts John Peter, Jr.
Balzer Fritz George Rau, Sr.
Jacob Fenstermacher Andrew Rupp
Peter Frey John Rau
Michael Frey George Rau, Jr.
George Folk Jacob Resh
Peter Frey, Jr. Christian Smidt
Andrew George Andrew Shnable
Christina George (widow) Christian Seager
Henry Haas, Esq. John Smidt, Sr.
George Haas Daniel Seigfried
Frederick Holben Henry Smidt
Christian Holben John Sherer
“ ” Andrew Shifferstine
Christian Haupt John Stern
Jacob Hausman Michael Stern
Christian Hausman Jacob Shoemaker
Peter Hollenbach Nicholas Seibert
George Hollenbach John Smith, Jr.
Christian Hartman John Weaver
Jacob Hartman Peter Weida
Henry Hartman John Weida
Jacob Haaf Emanuel Wetzell
George Heilman Jacob Zimmerman
Tobias Heilman Jacob Beaker
Jacob Heilman Peter Buchman
George Haaf Conrad Bellman
Nicholas Hernniger Adam Bear
Conrad Jacoby Abraham Knerr
Adam Knauss George Kuntz
Conrad Knerr Andrew Knerr
Andrew Knerr John Hartman
David Kuntz Jacob Sherry
Simon Kocher Conrad Smith
Casper Klotz George Seibert
Andrew Knerr Abraham Smidt
Adam Frey Jacob Ocher
Peter Fries Jacob Gressley
John Kuntz Jacob Hausman
Martin Serpert John Deibert
Amount of tax, $170.55.
Shiferstine was at one time a justice of the peace.
These very springs of pure water, flowing through fertile meadows, and the hills well covered with forests, attracted the first settlers to this spot. When nowadays one wanders through this region, and sees the beautiful new houses placed upon the hills or by the side of the road, and asks where did the old house stand, he is invariable answered, “Down below there, by the spring in the meadow.”
For the history of the settlement, see the history of Weissenberg Church.
The Lowhill congregation
properly dates its beginning from that of the Weissenberg. The very members who
originally formed this congregation assisted in founding the Weissenberg
Church, and were of the principal communicants there. A controversy which broke
out between the Lutheran
and Reformed members of the Weissenberg Church caused the latter to…
…leave that church and originate the Lowhill congregation.
The organization was effected at a meeting of the members held on the 27th of January, 1769, at which a constitution and rules for the construction of a church building were signed. Jacob Bachman, Jr., presented a tract of land, about three acres thirty square rods in extent, for the site of the church and for the burial-place. The lawful deed for this he presented on the day before named to the Assembly. The land lies about half a mile east of the Weissenberg Church, upon a beautiful elevation, where the third church now stands, and from which its bell sends its peals through the valleys below.
The names subscribed to the constitution then adopted are as follows: Jacob Bachman, Jr., Jost Georg, Nicolaus Mannebach, Andreas Eschbach, Johann Hartman, Johannes Georg, Peter Weiss, Georg Georg, Engle Thomas, Jacob Bachman, Sr., Nicolaus Bachman, Christoph Knðr, Heinrich Kempfer, Peter Kocher, Paul Bachmann, Johann Simon Georg.
At the meeting above referred to a subscription-list was also begun for the purpose of defraying the expenses of building the church. In addition to the above names the following, who afterwards joined this church, also contributed towards its construction: Sylvester Holben, Wilhelm Holben, Elizabeth Reichel (widow), Bernhard Schneider, J. W. Schneider, Peter Bahl, Abraham Knðr, Lorenz Bachmann, Friederich Schneiter, Heinrich Ohl (Heidelberg), Michael Deybert, Johann Tiessluss, Catharina Kempfer, Philipp Ennes, Christian Reiss, Johannes Reinschmidt, Wilhelm Stumpf, Nicolaus Kocher, Michael Probst, Sr.
The total of the above contributions was L 37 13s 6d.; additional contributions at a meeting held after the church was completed, L 1 16s; total cost, L 39 9s 6d.
The church was built during the progress of the summer, and was dedicated on the 3d of September, 1769, by Rev. Philipp J. Michael. It was built of logs, but is said to have been more carefully finished than other churches of that neighborhood which had been constructed earlier. Upon the dedication, Heinrich Ohl, of Heidelberg, presented to the new congregation a black altar-cloth; Mrs. Heinrich Kempfer, a white one (in those days, indeed, they were called table-cloths, because a table was made to serve for the altar); Nicolaus Mannebach, two smaller cloths; Elizabeth Reichel, the widow of Johannes Reichel, a communion service; and Nicolaus Mannebach, with Abraham Knðr, a baptismal service.
The following members soon joined the congregation (they were mostly emigrants): Johann Adam Geiss, Jacob Bär, Wilhelm Schmetton, Jacob Mussergenug, George A. Guthekunst, Adam Dries, Jacob Harner, Esq., Georg Falk, Philipp Fenstermacher, Mathias Schlimann, Nicolaus Impody, as well as others.
About 1770, Dr. Johannes
Yambert resided in this community. He had several children baptized here. He
soon disappeared from the neighborhood, not finding employment sufficient to
stave off hunger,
for the hardy constitutions of the old German settlers required but a good strong dram-soup (Trammsuppe) for the speedy cure of their simple ailments. At the time of the discovery of coffee, Dr. Yambert found occasion to go to Philadelphia, and there bought some beans of the new vegetable, and brought them home with him to Lynn township. Madame Yambert did not know what to do with the coffee or how to prepare it for the table, neither did the doctor, for he had entirely forgotten
to ask for instruction on this point. But as the coffee had been dearly paid for they resolved to prepare it in some way, and at length decided on cooking it with other vegetables. So the coffee was put into a boiler along with a dainty morsel of bacon, and hung over the fire. But the beans would not become soft like other beans, nor could the dish be reconciled to their appetites, and the doctor came to the conclusion that it was food fit only for hogs.
Soon the congregation recognized the necessity of a school-house. They did not like to send their children to the distant Weissenberg school. It was therefore resolved to erect a school-house. But for this purpose more land was needed, and Jacob Bachman, who owned all the land surrounding the church, in part sold and in part gave the congregation seventeen acres additional, so that the church and school lands now comprised twenty-two acres eighteen square rods. This was done on the 19th of March, 1786. The school-house was built and a teacher appointed, who, as everywhere else, in consideration for the use and occupation of the land, led the singing in divine service. For leading the singing at funerals, and for teaching school, he was paid.
At the founding of the church,
while Rev. Michael now and then preached in an irregular sort of fashion
without having received a formal call, no baptismal register was kept. This was
not begun till
1772, when Rev. Johann Heinrich Helffrich was called to serve the congregation, and by him the prior baptisms were entered. From that year on the register was regularly kept until the time of Rev.
Johannes Helffrich, who kept private memoranda, for the custom of having children baptized at home arose at that time, an they were not then entered upon the church register; and from that time on Rev. Helffrich and his successors began keeping their own private records, in which they entered notes of all their ministerial work, such as births, deaths, marriages, and confirmations, in the most careful manner.
In comparison with Macungie the land in Lowhill is very poor. The first settlers mainly raised buckwheat, corn, and rye. The meadows in the valleys they used for pasturing their cattle, to the raising of which they devoted themselves. Sheep they kept in numbers, and wherever there was a fertile spot of…
… ground they raised flax. With the
arrival of winter the spinning-wheels hummed and buzzed in every home, and the
flax and the wool were hardly all spun by spring. It was a joy to see the boxes
and chests full of linens and woolen blankets. Every one wore home-made
clothes, which were warm and strong. The spinning-wheel prepared the way for
another occupation, that of weaving, with which many of the people supported
themselves, for generally every sixth or seventh
house contained a loom, in which the busy shuttle was plied from early morn until late at night. Even if the land was barren the people were industrious and more saving than elsewhere, – oftentimes too much so, – and so the Lowhill and all the Gravel settlers, even if not rich, were prosperous.
The second church was built in the year 1798. The old building had become too small. The old contests, too, were closed, since many of the young men had married maidens from Weissenberg of the Lutheran faith, and these desired to go to church and join the communion of their faith, so nothing was easier than the transition by which the purely Reformed Lowhill Church was changed into a Union Church. A new constitution was agreed upon, the church and all her possessions made
common, and then the work of building was begun. On the 28th of May, 1798, the corner-stone was laid, with services conducted by Rev. Johann Heinrich Helffrich, the Reformed minister, assisted by Rev. Hermann Jacob Schellhardt, who was chosen the first Lutheran pastor of the church. In the fall of the same year the same pastors dedicated the completed structure. The church was built of logs, but artistically finished after the manner of those times. A neat pulpit and altar stood at one of the longer sides, and galleries spanned the other three. Later the building was weatherboarded.
The consistory, and the first Lutheran consistory who signed the constitution, were composed of the following members: Rev. Johann Heinrich Helffrich, Reformed minister; Rev. Hermann Jacob Schellhardt, Lutheran minister; Jacob Harner, Esq., Lutheran deacon; Nicolaus Imbotty, Lutheran deacon; Philipp Fenstermacher, Reformed deacon; Lorenz George, Reformed deacon.
The building committee consisted of Heinrich Hartmann and Christian Schmidt from the Reformed side, and Johannes Klotz and Conrad Lal from the Lutheran side.
Between 1850 and 1860 a new organ was placed in the church. It was constructed by Charles Hanzelman, who arrived in this region about that time, at Rev. Johannes Helffrich’s house, in Weissenberg.
The third church was built in the year 1858, and was placed on the very site which had been occupied by the old church. It is constructed of brick, is crowned with bell-tower with bell, and is finished in
modern style. The corner-stone was laid on the 13th of May, 1858, and the services were conducted by the Lutheran pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Schindel, and by the Reformed pastor, Rev. William A. Helffrich. A wicked, unchristian affair took place on this day, occasioned by the sutlers, who were carrying on their trade here, as they did at many other places, on festival days. This caused both the pastors to resolve never thereafter to lend their presence at any festival gathering where the congregation should not be willing by resolution to forbid the coming of the sutlers.
In this wise it occurred: It had for many years previous became a custom here in Eastern Pennsylvania for sutlers or hucksters, often to the number of twenty or more, to come to the church festivals, where many people congregated, and there range their wagons in a circle around the church, to erect booths, and to sell nuts, candy, cakes, beer, and even whiskey. The proverb says, where the carcass lies there the vultures will be found: and by means of these hucksters a rough element was attracted, who turned the day into an occasion more similar to a wild debauch than a decent, Christian festival. Thousands of visitors came from near and far, and were present at these customary festivals, such as corner-stone layings, dedicatory services, and, later, the Centennial anniversaries; and so, owing to these hucksters, many of the people were employing the holy Sabbath-day in trading, drinking, eating, or in walking through the woods about the church, engaged in laughing or frivolous conversation. During divine service they swarmed through the neighboring woods, while the church within was without worshipers, or the rough rabble ran noisily in and out, disturbing the services. Many of the most earnest church members were opposed to this disorder, and it was resolved that corner-stone laying in Lowhill should mark its overthrow. The pastors laid the matter before the consistory, and that body resolved that at the coming dedication no sutler should be permitted to be present. This resolution was not executed without considerable strife: even members of the church took sides with the sutlers. With the dedication-day came also the hucksters, in spite of notices published in the newspapers, and erected their tents. But during the progress of the ceremonies several members, who were of the same mind with their pastors, induced the sutlers, by threats of prosecution, to strike their tents and leave. The fight against them extended from here to other churches; and for several years past the disorder has entirely disappeared, although not without a desperate resistance.
The 20th and 21st days of November
were first appointed for the dedicatory services, which were to be led by Revs.
Jeremiah Schindel and William A. Helffrich, but for various reasons the
postponed till the following spring. On the 24th and 25th of April, 1859, they took place, sermons being delivered by Revs. Joshua Derr, Thomas Steck, and William A. Helffrich.
The organ was repaired during the fall of the same year, and rededicated on the 25th of September,…
…1859. Revs. Thomas Steck and William A. Helffrich preached.
On the 10th of November, 1865, it was resolved to build a new school-house, and an election was held to choose a building committee. A roomy brick house was erected during the next summer and dedicated on the 7th of October, 1866, by the pastors of the church.
A handsome request of two thousand two hundred and sixty-one dollars was left the congregation in 1874 by John Holben, a venerable member of the church, upon condition that the interest derived from the same should be annually paid as salary to the pastors of the church. He died on the 19th of March, 1874. Had he foreseen that the pastors would in future receive less than before this bequest, through decrease in membership, he would hardly have ordered it so.
The Reformed ministers of the church were, --
1. Philipp J. Michael, from 1769 to 1772.
2. Johannes Heinrich Helffrich, from 1772 to 1810.
3. Heinrich Diefenbach, from 1810 to 1816.
4. Johannes Helffrich, from 1816 to 1852.
5. William A. Helffrich, assistant from 1845 to 1852, and pastor from 1852 to 1867.
6. E. J. Fogel, from 1867 to 1877.
7. N. J. Bachman, from 1877.
The Lutheran ministers were, --
1. Hermann Jacob Schellhardt, 1798.
2. G. F. Obenhausen.
4. Georg Wartmann and J. Däring.
5. Jeremiah Schindel, from 1837 to 1858.
6. Thomas Steck, from 1859 to 1866.
7. J. S. Reminger, from 1867 to 1878.
8. Milton J. Kramlich, from 1878 to 1884.
The Morgenland Church. – This church stands upon an elevation in the southeastern corner of Lowhill township, Lehigh Co., a spot known long ago as the “Leather-Corner Post,” surrounded on all sides by small valleys, through which the Jordan flows at a distance of a mile from the church.
The church has from its beginning been a Union Church. Reformed and Lutherans, divided and independent in faith and teachings, have yet equal and common right to all the church lands, church buildings, and the churchyard, and make free, undisturbed use of them together.
The organization of the church is
of recent date. Members of the Lowhill, Union, Jordan, Ziegel, and Fogelsville
congregations united, selecting this spot upon which to erect a house of
should be nearer their homes and more convenient for them and their families.
On the 4th of April, 1857, a meeting was held for the purpose of selecting a site for a church and cemetery, which resulted in the selection of a piece of ground owned by Daniel Sechler for the location of the church building, and of an adjoining tract, owned by Jacob Georg and Reuben Krauss, for a graveyard. The title to these tracts was afterwards secured through proper deeds.
Another meeting was held on the 13th of April following, at which it was resolved to begin the erection of a building without delay, and to organize the congregation by electing a consistory. This election resulted as follows: On the Reformed side: for elders, Jonas Mertz, Solomon Hamm; for deacons, Franklin Fritzinger, Gideon Haaf, Daniel Sechler, Levi Haas; for trustee, Solomon Diehl. On the Lutheran side: for elders, John Weida, Daniel Claus; for deacons, Benjamin Weida, George Klotz, Reuben Deibert, Peter Ertel; for trustee, David Heilman; for treasurer, Reuben Krauss.
At the same time the following were chosen as a building committee: By the Reformed, Simon P. Mimnich, Jonathan Diehl; by the Lutherans, Jesse Klotz, Michael Deibert. The work of construction was immediately begun, and proceeded so rapidly that by the 23rd of August of that year (1857) everything was prepared for the laying of the corner-stone. This was done on that day, with services held by Revs. J. S. Dubs and William A. Helffrich, who were invited for that purpose.
On the 31st of August, 1858, the dedicatory services were held, Revs. Joseph S. Dubs, Jeremiah Schindel, and William Rath leading. The church is of brick, and is constructed in modern style, and provided with every necessary convenience.
The congregation also provided itself with an organ, which was dedicated in 1870, the pastors, Revs. Fogel and Leopold, preaching.
By 1871, the old graveyard was well filled up, and a piece of ground on the opposite side of the street was laid out in regular lots for a cemetery. It was dedicated in 1871 by Rebs. Fogel and Leopold.
The Reformed ministers of the congregation thus far have been: (1) Joseph S. Dubs, who was chosen the first pastor in 1857; (2) Joseph H. Dubs, who served from _______ to 1867; (3) E. J. Fogel, chosen in 1867.
The Lutheran ministers have been: (1) Jeremiah Schindel, from 1857 to ___; (2) William Rath; (3) Owen Leopold.
The township of Lowhill paid nothing toward the education of the poor until the year 1833, when $0.30 only was paid; in 1834, $0.82; 1835, $9.70; 1836, $15.45; 1837, $35.17; 1838, $41.32; 1839, $83.43. At an early day Lowhill had no schools but those which belonged to the Weissenberg District.
Smith from that time for several years, and in 1786 by Christian Nesber. He was
succeeded by Moses Coyne, who also opened a store at the tavern in 1806. Jacob
Woodring was the landlord during the war of 1812, and kept the tavern till
1826, when Jacob George, who married his daughter, succeeded him, and continued
until 1878. The old house stood until 1861, when the present one was built. It
is now kept by John P. Bear. The record of licenses for 1786 shows that in the
year Christian Nesber and George Wright were licensed to keep tavern. In 1815,
John Adam Shaffer, Jacob Woodring, and George Folk were licensed, they having
kept earlier, and, later, Conrad Bobst and Baltzer Fritz received licenses. The
latter is said to have kept the first store in the township. He lived on the
road leading from Clausville to Fogelsville, at the place where Andrew
Shifferstine later kept a hotel, and still later, George Klotz, who died there
in 1856. The tavern at Claussville was erected about 1800 by Daniel Schumaker,
kept by him for a time. Later, and to the year 1830, it was kept by one Brough, Abraham Knerr, Knoppenberger, Moses Cain, and Wolf, as tenants.
John Weida.....................April 14, 1840
Charles A. Wuth........April 15,
Edward Beck.................. “ 14, 1840
Jacob Zimmerman..... “ 11, 1865
John Weida..................... “ 15, 1845
Daniel H. Miller........ “ 9, 1867
Edward Beck.................. “ 15, 1845
Jacob Zimmerman.... “ 8, 1870
Jacob Zimmerman......... “ 14, 1846
Daniel H. Miller......... “ 9,
Peter Weida.................... “ 9, 1850
Jacob Zimmerman....March 13,
Jacob Zimmerman......... “ 9, 1850
Daniel H. Miller........ “ 19,
“ ” .......... “ 10, 1855
Jacob Zimmerman.... “ 30, 1880
Peter Weida..................... “ 10, 1855
E. H. Knerr.................
April 19, 1882
John Weida...................... “ 14, 1857
“ ” ................ “ 6, 1883
Jacob Zimmerman.......... “ 10, 1860
Ed. C. Hollenbeck..... Aug. 20, 1883
In 1863 a post-office was established, and John F. Weida was appointed postmaster. He was succeeded in 1869 by Daniel Kuhns, who is the present post-master. The grist- and saw-mill were built in 1840. The village contains a grist- and saw-mill, store and post-office, and five dwellings.
Lyon Valley. – This settlement is in the valley of Lyon Creek, a branch of the Jordan. In the year 1845, Daniel Bittner came to this locality and opened a tavern, and soon after a store in the same building. Jacob Zimmerman, after about a year, became associated with him. They continued together six or eight years, when Bittner sold his interest to Zimmerman, who carried on the store until 1860, when it was sold to Dinkey & Mosser, who, in 1866, sold to Tilghman Frey. In 1872, Mr. Zimmerman sold the hotel interest to Mr. Frey, who carried them both on until 1879, when he conveyed them to C. W. Haas & Brother, who are still in possession. Mr. Zimmerman was justice of the peace for many years, and while living here had his office in the hotel.
A post-office was established
at Lyon Valley in 1857, and Jacob Zimmerman was appointed post-master, and
served until 1868, when Albert Dinkey succeeded him. On the 1st of October of that
Tilghman Frey was appointed, and served until March, 1882, when Elias Hensinger, the present postmaster, became the incumbent.
Claussville. – In the
year 1800, Daniel Schumacher built a tavern here, which was kept by various
landlords until 1830. In that year John Shifferstine and Joseph Slough took the
tavern, and also opened a store. They kept the tavern till 1834, and were
succeeded by Daniel Clauss, who remained until 1851, when the place was taken
by Martin Seibert. In 1856 his son, Jonas, became the landlord, and continued
till 1861, when Jonathan Haas, the present landlord, came into possession. Mr.
Shifferstine and Slough kept store for many years. In 1844 a new store and
dwelling-house was erected opposite the hotel, which was occupied by Levi
Knerr, who has continued to the present
time, with the exception of …
… a few years, when it was kept by Joseph Slough and Joseph Eisenhart. In the year 1830 a post-office was established, and John Shifferstine was appointed postmaster. The village contains a hotel, post-office, store, school-house, shoe-shop, and blacksmith-shop.
“Leather-Corner Post” is the somewhat odd name applied to a tavern-stand in this township. Its origin is involved in obsurity, but doubtless it arose from some trivial circumstance. A tavern was kept here during the Revolution by Ludwig Smith, and later by Moses Coyne (who also opened a store about 1806), by Jacob Woodring about 1815, and by Conrad and Christian Bobst. In 1826, Jacob George, son-in-law of Woodring, became landlord, and greeted the few guests who came this way until his death in 1878, being a Boniface for a period of fifty-two years. His widow is still living, aged eighty-four, or three years younger than her husband was at the time of his death. The present hotel at the “Leather-Corner Post” was built in 1861. It is kept by John P. Bear.
The History of the Counties of Lehigh & Carbon, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,
Alfred Mathews & Austin N. Hungerford
Published in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1884
Transcribed from the original in 2005
Proofed, arranged &
web page by
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids