Search billions of records on
Calumet County, Wisconsin Genealogy & History

This page is part of the site located at There is no charge or fee to access this site or any information on it. If you have arrived here from somewhere else, such as a pay site, and are in a frame, you can click the above url to access this page directly.

Chilton Times November 18, 1905

Killed At Dunbar-Stockbridge Boy The Victim

While Hunting Deer Ben Eastman Was Accidentally Shot by The Premature Discharge of His Rifle.

Nearly every daily paper gives an account of some unfortunate mans who has been killed in the north woods while deer hunting. Saturday last a telegram from Wausaukee brought a shock to the family of W. L. Eastman, of Stokbridge, when it informed him that his son Ben had been accidentally killed while hunting near Dunbar, Marinette county. Friday morning a party of Stockbridge young men, namely, Chas and Wilder Drake, Francis, Arthur and Ben Eastman and Ross Parker took the morning train here for Dunbar to hunt deer. They arrived there about ten o'clock in the forenoon and after preparing camp started out for deer. They had been absent about two hours and a half when Chas. Drake, who was some distance form the others, got a shot at a deer. Young Eastman, who was stationed on a runway, climbed on to a stump and was looking in the direction from which the shot was fired when his rifle slipped from the stump and the hammer caught and discharge the gun. The bullet entered his abdomen and passed upward, coming our near the right side of his neck. His brother Francis, who was stationed some twenty rods from where the young man stood upon heating the shot looked up and noticed his brother pitching forward ran to his assistance. He heard his brother cry that he was shot but before he could get to him he was unconscious. He worked over him and brought him to and he said that he was suffering intense pain. The pain increased and the young man requested his brother to shoot him and end his miseries or, to give him the revolver and he would do the act himself.

One of the party was dispatched eight miles for a doctor and an engine was chartered and the doctor brought to the unfortunate young man. When the doctor arrived the young man was dying and nothing would be done to prolong his life. He lived sixteen hours after the accident. The body was taken to Wausaulee, where it was prepared for shipment and arriving here on the Sunday morning train, being conveyed to the home of the parents in Stockbridge, accompanied by the two brothers that were with him and Chas. Drake. The funeral took place Monday afternoon from the Congregational church at Stockbridge. Rev. S. G. Ruegg conducting the services.

The deceased was only seventeen years old and this was his first experience at deer hunting. He was a young man who was held in high esteem in the community in which he resided and his sudden and untimely death is a sad blow to his parents and four brothers and three sisters who survive him. The sympathy of the community goes out to them in this their hour of bereavement.

Return to Calumet Page

If you have any questions, e-mail Debie

Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights Reserved