Fire-We regret to announce that on Tuesday night about eleven o'clock the residence of John O'Neil situated three miles northeast of this city was discovered to be in flames by one of his daughter who immediately gave the alarm to the other members of the family all of whom luckily made their escape in their night clothes, but had no chance to save anything except one feather bed. It was a close call as the roof of the kitchen was falling in when the family were aroused. The girl who gave the alarm was suffering from a tooth ache which kept her from sleeping soundly or else the whole family might have suffered a terrible fate. The loss is estimated at $1,000 while the insurance is on $680. Mr. O'Neil is one of the old settlers of this town and we hope our citizens generally will extend a liberal helping hand to him and his family in this hour of their distress.
Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights Reserved
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids