In 1848, a colony of seventy persons immigrated direct from Hamburg, Germany, to the town of New
Holstein, and formed the basis of the present prosperous village by that name. Charles Greening with two
companions, were the first settlers. Dr. Charles Bock arrived soon after. Later Messrs. J. C. M. Pfeiffer,
Puchner, and others less well known, settled here. The latter was appointed Postmaster and resolved himself
into a mail carrier, carrying the bag to Hayton. The next year after the settlement was formed (1849), New
Holstein was organized as a town, Mr. Greening being chosen its first Chairman. He was elected first Clerk of
the County Court in 1850, and after serving five years, was appointed, elected and re-elected County Judge,
until he had been in the harness for nearly twenty years. Arrivals from the Fatherland continued, and the
settlement in three years presented so propitious and substantial an appearance that its citizens ventured to
turn from the beaten road of utility into the pleasant path of amusement. Messrs. Pfeiffer and William Paulsen
organized a dramatic troupe in 1851, and ever since New Holstein has been noted among the small villages of
the State for its discriminating love of amusement. Physical training has also been a point to which much
attention has been paid, as witness the flourishing Turn Verein with its fine hall.
The village of New Holstein is situated on the line of the Wisconsin Central road in the southeastern part of
Calumet County, and lies comfortably and healthfully upon high, rolling ground. It contains about 400 inhabitants,
all of whom are either German or of German descent. Its two public halls, its fine residences and beautifully
improved cemetery grounds are but so many evidences of its thriving state of health. The village stretches over
about a mile of territory, thereby indicating that its inhabitants are not cramped for homes. New Holstein has
been called " the garden spot of Wisconsin," and it certainly deserves some such name. Its people are most
decidedly home bodies, and make the village an agreeable and lively residence town. Either the Turner Hall or
the neat little theater is continually offering something in the way of amusement. The New Holstein Turn Verein
is in a most flourishing condition, having a membership of nearly 150 and owning property to the value of $1,500.
Its principal manufactory is the flour mill of Charles Dumke. It tras built in 1875, but burned the same year, and
was rebuilt by a stock company, in which Mr. Dumke has a controlling interest. It has three run of stone. A small
grist-mill east of the village is operated by Joachim Chilhauer. The elevator, also near the railroad station, is
operated by Hermann Timm. There are also two agricultural warehouses in this vicinity, one owned by Moeller &
Kroenhke and the other by D. Bagley, of Chilton. The public is accommodated by three hotels, The International,
John Cramer, proprietor; F. Luethge's Hotel and the New Holstein Hotel, H. Hinrichsen, proprietor. A business
institution of the village, which stands high in the county, is the New Holstein Mutual Fire Insurance Company,
which was organized in 1873, and has now nearly $1,250,000 worth of property insured. A majority of those who
are now the leading business men of New Holstein are its pioneers.
Wm. Paulsen, the present Judge of Calumet County, settled on tract of land near the village in 1848.
St. Anna is the name of a small village situated on the south line of the town of New Holstein. It contains a
wooden shoe factory, a Catholic Church, several general stores and two hotels. Its settlement dates from the
Fall 1848, when a number of German Catholics commenced the erection of a log church. Its present pastor is
Rev. Father August Schleyer.
Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights Reserved