The cemetery association held their first meeting June 11th 1855 at the home of Claus Oesau in the town of New Holstein. The trustees agreed to buy four acres of land from Henry Brelenberg for the sum of $85. The land was plowed and straightened out by Henry Kuehl, Sr. To fence the property, each member of the association had to deliver twenty five split oak rails. These were twelve feet long and from three to four inches thick.
The cemetery lots were laid out. Each member of the association was to get two lots, drawn by lot. The first lots sold to non-members sold for $2.50 plus one day's work.
The cost of having a grave dug for a grown person was $1.00. the cost of a grave for a child under twelve years was six shilling. Claus Tiedjens served as the first grave digger.
The first person buried on the cemetery was Christian S Sell. He was born February 3, 1797. He died June 17, 1855.
There are a lot of stones imbedded in the ground, some readable some not.