Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Tottington Churches
Home Up

 

Home
Up

SiteMap

Email Me (Sharon in Australia)

 

 

Please note - remember to
refresh page for recent updates.

                 Please bear with me as I compile and sort out the info.

Church of England

St Anne's Church of England, Chapel St, Tottington BL8 4AL
"In 1780 when the Parish Church [in Bury] was rebuilt special provision was made for the requirements of the parishioners from Tottington...But Tottington, with its highly developed local patriotism, did not take kindly to being a mere appendage to the Parish of Bury. There was also a more important factor which led directly to the formation of the Parish of Tottington. The Industrial Revolution...the population increased from a mere few hundred to over 5,000 - and there was no church other than Bury Parish Church, nearly three miles away!...The building of St Anne's church was sponsored by a young man called James Holt who resided at Brick Barn. The foundation stone was laid on May 18th 1798, and the church was consecrated on August 12th 1799 by Bishop Cleaver of Chester."

See also Chetham's Library Manchester for:
TOTTINGTON, Lancashire - St Anne's Church 1799-1949: notes, letters and copies of letters. Prepared for printed history of Church 1949. (39550). 

with kind permission of Peter Ward  with kind permission of Peter Ward

 

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

Burials

MI's

BTs

LDS on IGI

1792-1837(some), 1799-1821        

LDS catalog

1799-1837   1799-1837   1799-1862

Bury Library (RIS)

1799-1837   1799-1837 yes  

Manchester Archives

1799-1844   1799-1861    

Lancs Record Office

1799-18   1799-18   1799-1862

Ancestry,com Parish Records

1799-1837   1799-1837    

Manchester Archives

1799-1964 1863-1981 1799-1951    

LFH&HS microfiche

      yes  

Lancashire Parish Record Society

1799-1837   1799-1837    
JTG 1799-2000 1799-2000 1799-2000    

Start of Marriages 1862
See http://www.interment.net/data/eng/greatman/stanne_tott/stanne.htm for gravestone transcriptions.

St Mary's Church of England, Bolton Rd, Hawkshaw, Bury BL8 4JN
founded 1892.

with kind permission of Les Needham   with kind permission of Les Needham

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

Burials

JTG 1877-2002 1877-2002 1877-202

See http://www.interment.net/data/eng/greatman/stmary/hawkshaw.htm for gravestone transcriptions.

St James Church of England, St James Ave, Woolfold, Bury BL8 1TD
Corner Stone laid 1930, Consecrated 1931
St James was initially a Chapel  associated with St Anne's Tottington, hence registers starting before the building was consecrated.

See photo at http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/84953

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

JTG

1906-1980 1920-1980

Start of Marriages 1920

Non-Conformist Denominations -  Independent/Congregational

Greenmount United Reformed Congregational, Holcombe Rd, Greenmount, Bury BL8 4HF
The place of Greenmount started with the building of the Sunday School in 1848, founded by Robert Hadfield, Samuel Knowles and Samuel Beswick first opened on 19 May 1844. 
The Greenmount Independent Church was constituted in the year 1856. The corner stone of the Church was laid by Samuel Knowles on 14 April 1865., and completed in February 1867.
The Church became a member of the United Reformed Church on 5 Oct 1972 when the congregational and Presbyterian Church united, being joined with the Church of Christ in 1981.
(See History of Greenmount by CB Taylor)

 

  

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

Burials

MIs

Bury Library (RIS)

1865-1900 1864-1900 1865-1986 1865-1896

Manchester Archives

1865-1900      

See http://www.interment.net/data/eng/greatman/greenmount/unitedref.htm for gravestone transcriptions.

 

Watling St Independent, Watling St, Affetside (Congregational - Ebenezer)

with kind permission of Joan Simpson 
latter 2 photos displayed with kind permission of Alexander P Kapp

Repository

Marriages

MIs

LDS catalog

  yes
JTG   1876-1998
Lancs Record Office   1972-74  

LFH&HS microfiche

  yes

See http://www.interment.net/data/eng/lancashire/congreg_aff/index.htm for gravestone transcriptions.

Notes from "Affetside - An Historical Survey" by James J Francis, published by Turton Local History Society:
pg45 "Chapel records report that a travelling preacher rode on horseback to take a Divine service in a cottage in the year 1814"
pg46 "In 1840 they built a meeting house. The first conveyance of land for the Chapel was dated 7th October 1835, when Messrs Ashworth & Sons, members of the society of Friends, gave the plot of land to Trustees for use as a school/meeting room."..."The Trustees were Joshua KNOWLES of Tottington, John HEAP of Tottington, Robert HAMPSON, Richard WALKER and Richard BUTCHER all of Bury." .... "The first burial was that of Wright TURNER, age 15, on 11 Dec 1847"
See http://northturton.com/edgworth/history_society_publications.html to obtain a copy of this book and other local publications.

 

Non-Conformist Denominations -  Wesleyan Methodist

Tottington Wesleyan Methodist Church, Market St, Tottington
See website http://www.tottimeths.org.uk

In 1822 the first Wesleyan Chapel and school were started in a room over the village Blacksmiths. In 1829 the first Chapel was built on Market street. In 1905 a new chapel was built.

with kind permission of Joan Simpson   

 

Repository

Baptisms

Burials

MIs

LDS on IGI

1829-1837    

LDS catalog

1829-1837 1829-1837, 1830-1966  

Bury Library (RIS)

1829-1837 1830-1965  

Manchester Archives

1829-1837 1830-1837  
LFH&HS microfiche     1830-1966 yes
PRO/TNA RG4   1828-1837 1830-1837  

Lancs Record Office

1829-1837 1829-1837, 1830-1966  

Hawkshaw Lane Wesleyan Methodist Church, Hawkshaw
First mentioned in 1810 in a house church at Finney Cote Farm on Hawkshaw Lane. The first chapel was built in 1830, then replaced in 1891 by a new chapel, the old building was then used as a Sunday school until 1910 when it was replaced with a new Edwardian Sunday school. The Chapel and Sunday school still in existence.

Records held at Bolton Local Studies Library because the chapel comes under the Bolton Methodist circuit, these include minute books and Sunday school admin. Ramsbottom Library have some transcripts of registers which are still held by the church.

 

Repository

Baptisms

Bury Library (RIS)

1847-1933

United Methodist Free Church, Hawkshaw
The chapel was built in 1868 and closed at Methodist Union in 1932. War memorial taken from chapel and fitted in the Wesleyan building. Records held include baptismal register at Bolton Local Studies library, church council minute books at Bury Archives. Transcripts of baptismal register again at Ramsbottom Library.

Repository

Baptisms

Bury Library (RIS)

1866-1931

 

Woolfold Wesleyan Methodist Church

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

Bury Library (BAS)

1846-1947  
GMCRO   1890-1969

Spring St Methodist Church, Tottington - built 1905

Non-Conformist Denominations -  Free Church of England

St John Free Church of England, Kirklees St, Tottington
Built 1867, 1905

              with kind permission of Joan Simpson  with kind permission of Joan Simpson with kind permission of Les Needham  with kind permission of Les Needham

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

Burials

MIs

LDS catalog

1866-1987 1890-1987    

LFH&HS microfiche

1866-1987 1890-1986 ? yes

 

Roman Catholic

St Hilda Roman Catholic Church, Turton Rd, Tottington BL8 4AW

with kind permission of Les Needham

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

Lancs Record Office

1947-1962 1947-1949, 1962

 

Non-Conformist Denominations - Latter Day Saints

Tottington Branch was a local unit of the British Mission, there are records of members 1841-1875 on LDS film FHL BRITISH Film 87036 Items 19-22

For details of Repositories see Bury Churches page