Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Bury Churches
Home Tottington Churches Elton Churches Ramsbottom Churches Heywood Churches Walmersley Churches Misc Churches

 

Home
Tottington Churches
Elton Churches
Ramsbottom Churches
Heywood Churches
Walmersley Churches
Misc Churches

SiteMap

Email Me (Sharon in Australia)

 

 

Please note - remember to
refresh page for recent updates.

For Places of Worship in existence today see
http://www.city-visitor.com/bury/placesofworship.html

You may use these pictures as you choose, in publications or wherever, you may NOT copyright them or sell them.

Church of England

The Parish Church of Bury is St Mary the Virgin, Church of England Market Place, Bury, BL9 0LA
Map Ref SD803108
Bury Parish Church Website - http://www.freewebs.com/buryparishchurch/index.htm

For a virtual tour of the Church see website (note pictures quite dark) -
http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/tcsc/VirtBury/ParishCh/Page1.htm

The Parish Church had fallen into a state of dilapidation towards the middle of the eighteenth century, and in the year 1776, all the building, except the steeple was taken down, and re-erected.

with kind permission of Paul Naylor

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

Burials

BTs

MIs

LDS on IGI

1590-1875

1590-1876

 

 

 

LDS catalog

1590-1948

1590-1947

1590-1855

1603-1894

 

Bury Library (RIS)

1590-1948

1590-1947

1590-1855 (graveyard closed 1855)

 

 

Manchester Archives

1590-1943

1591-1947

1591-1855

 

 

Lancs Record Office

1590-1948 1591-1947 1769-1862

1603-1641, 1662-1867  

 

Ancestry,com Parish Records

1590-1698

1590-1698

1590-1698

 

 

LFH&HS microfiche

1881-1903

1800-1837

1800-1855

 

yes

Lancashire Parish Record Society

1590-1698

1590-1698

1590-1698

 

 

Boyd’s Marriage Index

 

1591-1698

 

 

 

See also the :Lancashire OPC website http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Bury/index.html

St Johns with St Marks, Church of England, Sunny Ave, Bury BL9 6PF
Map Ref SD807124
St Johns (has in places been recorded as St John the Rock - though this is not the name) was built in 1770 on Stanley St (picture below), about 500 yards from St Mary’s to serve as a place of worship while St Mary’s was being rebuilt.
It was rebuilt in 1851 and then major repairs were needed to the church in the mid-1950s and it was decided to build a new church at Sunny Avenue, Seedfield, and this is also dedicated to St. John. The Registers of St. Mark are still with this Vicar. The parish was later “combined ” to share with St Marks in the ?1980s and became known as St Johns with St Marks.

Website at http://www.stjohnwithstmark-church.co.uk/ 

         with kind permission of Les Needham

Repository

Baptisms

Burials

BTs

MIs

LDS on IGI

1770-1775, 1782-1859

 

 

 

LDS catalog

1770-1837, 1821-1906

1784-1837, 1821-1874

 

 

Bury Library (RIS)

1770-1906

1784-1855 (graveyard closed 1855)

 

 

Manchester Archives

1770-1906

1784-1874

 

 

Lancs Record Office

1821-1859

1821-1845

1769-1837

1775-1855

LFH&HS microfiche

 

 

 

yes

NB The original registers which include marriages 1861-2006 and baptisms 1906-2006 are still with this Parish.

(Start of Marriages 1861)

St Paul's, Church of England, St Paul’s St, Bury 
Map Ref
SD813111 (381390, 411110) GB Grid
The foundation stone was laid on Good Friday 1839, the Church opened for divine worship on 26th and 30th September 1841, and consecrated on the feast of St Peter and Paul by the Bishop of Chester in 1842. Now closed.

with kind permission of Janet Huige         with kind permission of Janet Huige
 kindly taken by Phillip Evans kindly taken by Phillip Evans

with kind permission of Jack Smith

with kind permission of Jack Smith

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pre and post fire.

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

Burials

BTs

MIs

LDS catalog

1841-1960

1851-1976

1841-1976

 

 

Manchester Archives

1841-1960

1851-1983

1841-1976

 

 

Lancs Record Office

 

 

 

1845-1867

 

LFH&HS microfiche

 

 

1841-1976

 

yes

 

(Start of Marriages 1851)

Holy Trinity Church of England , Spring St, Bury BL9 0RW  
Map Ref SD808104

Holy Trinity was established as a mission in 1850 by a curate of the Rector of Bury. The Rector wanted a High Church mission and it continues in this tradition today. It was a poor area and the church was only opened in 1865. This church is on Heywood Street between Spring Street and East Street. It is still in operation today, though its community is quite small. with kind permission of Janet Huige with kind permission of Janet Huige

 

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

LDS catalog

1865-1881,1881-1902

1866-1880

Bury Library (RIS)

1881-1903

 

LFH&HS microfiche   1881-1903  

Manchester Archives

1865-1881

1866-1880

 

(Start of Marriages 1866)

St Marks Church of England, Walmersley Rd, Bury BL9 6LL
Map Ref SD808117
St. Mark was founded around 1870 to provide a church school in the Chesham area and so avoid the need for a School Board (and a Council School). The parish continued to around the 1980s (?) when it was amalgamated with St John to form the St. John with St. Mark parish.

The St. Mark church was cleared and the Salvation Army have built a new Citadel on it in the early 1990s (shown below).

  with kind permission of Les Needham with kind permission of Les Needham

no records found deposited (Start of Marriages 1885)

St Thomas Church of England, Rochdale Rd, Bury.
Map Ref SD814107
Consecrated by the Bishop of Manchester in Dec 1866. The building paid for by Thomas OPENSHAW.
 

with kind permission of Roy Sandiford  with kind permission of Janet Huige  with kind permission of Carole Cockshott

no records found deposited (Start of Marriages 1867)

St Peter's Church, St Peter's Rd, Bury BL9 9QZ
Map Ref SD804089

with kind permission of Roy Sandiford   with kind permission of Roy Sandiford

with kind permission of Carole Cockshott  with kind permission of Carole Cockshott

The land for St. Peter's church was given by the Earl of Derby with plans approved on 10th April 1871. The church was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Manchester on 29th June 1872 and cost 4 thousand 8 hundred pounds. The Chapelry of St. Peter's was formed out of the cures of the Rector of Bury and the Rector of Radcliffe.
(Start of Marriages 1873)

******************************** + ********************************

 

Non-Conformist Denominations -  Independent/Congregational

New Road Independent (Congregational) Church, Rochdale Rd, Bury and
Bury United Reformed Church (Bury URC), Rochdale Rd, Bury BL9 0PW

First chapel built on current site at Rochdale Road in 1792. Adjacent graveyard mainly in use 1797 - 1814. The graveyard was partly built over in 1885 when current building was erected. Amalgamated with Bethel and Castlecroft in 1965 to form  a united Bury Congregational Church, which then became part of the new United Reformed Church in 1972.

 

 

with generous permission of Phillip Evans

 

Repository

Members

Baptisms

Marriages

Burials

LDS on IGI

 

1795-1837

 

 

LDS catalog

 

1794-1837

 

1818-1823, 1797-1893

Bury Library (RIS)

1795-1837

1818-1823

Bury Library (BAS) 1793-1974 1876-1953 1885-1894  1797-1834, 1888-1893  

Manchester Archives

 

1796-1837

 

 

Lancs Record Office

1782-1837

 

 

 

LFH&HS   1796-1837   1797-1893
JTG       1797-1833,1888-1893

PRO/TNA RG4

 

1782-1837

 

1818-1823

Bethel Independent (Congregational) Church, Henry St, Bury

Formed in 1804 as a break-away from the New Road Independent Church. The Henry St building was built in 1807, eventually amalgamating with the Castlecroft and New Road Churches in 1965 to form  a united Bury Congregational Church based at the former New Road premises, which then became part of the new United Reformed Church in 1972.

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

Burials

MIs/Grave Register  

Members Roll

LDS on IGI

1806-1837

 

 

 

 

LDS catalog

1806-1837

 

 

 

 

Bury Library (RIS)

1806-1837

 

 

Bury Library (BAS)

1806-1846(1 in 1855), 1876-1947

1876-1924 (gaps 1900 on)

1818-1833

1807-1845  

1806-1846,1876-1902

Manchester Archives

1806-1837

 

 

 

 

Lancs Record Office

1806-1837

 

 

 

 

JTG     1818-1833    

PRO/TNA RG4

1803-1837

 

 

 

 

(NB:Marriages were certainly taking place in 1853 as my 3xgreat grandparents James LORD and Betty TURNER married on 21 Feb, though 2 earlier record books have been lost.)
 

Castlecroft Independent (Congregational) Church, Castlecroft, Bury

Formed in 1838 as a split off from the New Road Congregational. Built at Castlecroft in 1840 with it's own graveyard (closed in 1855). Amalgamated with Bethel and New road in 1965 to form  a united Bury Congregational Church based at the former New Road premises, which then became part of the new United Reformed Church in 1972.

 

Repository

Members

Baptisms

Marriages

Burials

MIs

LDS on IGI

 

 

 

 

 

LDS catalog

 

1841-1874

1842-1876

1841-1856

 

Bury Library (BAS)

1851-1964

1841-1964

1841-1899

1841-1856

 

JTG         1841-1856

Lancs Record Office

 

 

 

 

1835-1921

 

Freetown Congregational (United Reform Church) Mission, Kay St, Bury
Established in 1906, built in Kay St in 1909. Eventually merged with Bury United Reformed Church.

 

Repository

Communion

Bury Library (BAS)

1909-1920


Non-Conformist Denominations -  Wesleyan Methodist

Union Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (Central Methodist Church), Bury, Lancashire

Originally Bury Methodists worshipped at Pits o'th Moor later in Clerke St. The Union St/North St Chapel was built c1815-1817, with burial ground attached. See also records for Bury Wesleyan Methodist Circuit and Bury Methodist Circuit.

with kind permission of Bury Local Family History Society

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

Burials

LDS on IGI

1795-1837

 

 

LDS catalog

1793-1837

 

1817-1837

Bury Library (RIS)

1795-1868

1816-1837

Bury Library (BAS)

1795-1991

1888-1986

1816-1964

Manchester Archives

1772-1837

 

1816-1837

Lancs Record Office

1772-1837

 

1816-1837

PRO/TNA

1772-1837

 

1816-1837

LFH&HS

1839-1868

 

 

Pits o’th Moor Wesleyan Methodist, Pine St, Bury
 

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

Bury Library (BAS)

1935-1964

1897-1910

GMCRO   1910-1963

Russell St Wesleyan Methodist

Repository

Baptisms

Bury Library (BAS)

1889-1953

Bolton Rd Methodist Chapel, Bolton Rd, Bury BL8 2NZ
Originally the chapel was built in Fairy St, off Bolton Rd opening on 13 April 1882, in July 1912 the congregation marched to Bolton Rd to lay the foundation stones for a new chapel which was opened in April 1913 (see picture below). On 13 Aug 2000, the first sods were lifted for the building of the current chapel further along Bolton Rd, which was opened 2 Feb 2002. The previous chapel seen below has now been demolished.
 

Non-Conformist Denominations -  United Methodist

Brunswick Free United Methodist, North St , Bury
also known as Wesleyan Association Chapel erected in 1836


Repository

Members

Baptisms

Marriages

Burials

Grave & Burial books

Bury Library (BAS)

1883-1933

1835-1962

 

1837-1959

 

LFH&HS

 

1835-1882

 

 

1837-1959

JTG       1837-1911  
GMCRO     1908-1963    
 

Heywood St United Methodist 

Repository

Members

Baptisms

Marriages

Bury Library (BAS)

1868-1963

1872-1966

 
GMCRO     1905-1965

Parkhills Rd United Methodist Free Church, 11 Parkhills Rd, Bury BL9 9AU (corner of Horne St)
became Bethesda Pentecostal Church in 1967 (originated Brook St, 1931), Assemblies of God.

Built in 1898, founded from Brunswick United Methodist Free in 1883.
See another photo at http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/33593

with kind permission of Dorothy Hargreaves

Repository

Marriages

GMCRO

1932-1965

 

Non-Conformist Denominations -  Primitive Methodist

The Primitive Methodists preaching room in Clarke St was opened on the 20th June 1824

Walmersley Rd Primitive Methodist

 


with kind permission of Les Needham  with kind permission of Les Needham

On the left is the old Church on Linton Rd, just off Walmersley Rd and on the right the new extension built on the back with the entrance on Mosley Ave.

Repository

Baptisms

Bury Library (BAS)

1900-1974

GMCRO 1903-1974

William St Primitive Methodist
erected in 1829, and rebuilt in 1836

Repository

Baptisms

LDS on IGI

1836-1837

Bury Library (RIS)

1836-1837

Manchester Archives 1836-1837

 

Non-Conformist Denominations -  Methodist New Connexion

Bolton St Methodist New Connection, Bury
A chapel was first erected in Bury Lane in 1813, then in 1875 the congregation moved to a new chapel in Heywood St, this closed in 1968 (later demolished) when the congregation joined with others in the centre of Bury to become Bury Central Methodist Church in Union Street. See above.


 

Repository

Baptisms

Bury Library (RIS)

1816-1837

Manchester Archives 1816-1837

 

Non-Conformist Denominations -  Presbyterian/Unitarian

Presbyterian Chapel Bank St Unitarian/ Silver St , Bury 
See website http://www.bury-unitarian-church.org.uk/

In 1719 the first chapel was built in Silver St, initially known as "a congregation of Protestant dissenters", later known as Presbyterian. The second Chapel was built in 1837 on the site of the present municipal offices on Bank St. The third Bank St chapel was opened in 1852. In 1972 the new Bury Unitarian Church was opened on Silver St. In 1852 the graveyard at Bank St became full and a new burial ground established at Holebottom.

 

Repository

Baptisms

Burials

MIs

LDS on IGI

1723-1837

 

 

LDS catalog

1723-1821

 

 

Bury Library (RIS)

1723-1837

1832-1837

 

Bury Library (BAS)

1723-1837

1839-1893

 

Lancs Record Office

1723-1837

1832-1837

1834-1972 (inc Holebottom)

Manchester Archives

1723-1837

1832-1837

 

LFH&HS     yes
JTG   1839-1893 1728-1897

British Vital Records

1807-1837

 

 

See LDS film #1647473 - Item 7 Pedigrees of families who formed the congregation at the Bury Presbyterian Chapel, Silver Street, built a.d. 1719 Lord, John, 1835-1903
I can do small lookups on this item - email me

Non-Conformist Denominations -  Baptist


1831 is the first establishment of Baptists in Bury and subsequently Commercial Buildings are rented in Spring St.
Bridge St  Baptist Chapel erected in 1836 (between 77 and 75 Bridge St -see 1861 census 2850 F37)
Ebenezer Chapel, Knowsley St erected 1845 closed in 1898 when the congregation moved to Tenterden St.
Christian Church, Rochdale Rd, foundation stone laid 1859 closed 1971.
Chesham Rd Chapel foundation stone laid 1895, closed 1970.
Tenterden St Ebenezer Baptist commenced with the congregation from Knowsley St in 1898 and closed in the 1970's.
Haymarket St Baptist Chapel erected in 1852(Mannex 1854) / Spring St Chapel erected in 1852 (Whellan 1853) / Baptist Chapel - Mosses (1855 Slaters) - - ?probably the same given the proximity of the locations -all have same Rev Joseph Harvey.

Currently:
Bury Baptist Church, 114 Manchester Rd, Bury BL9 0TH
Radcliffe Road Baptist Church, Radcliffe Rd, Bury BL9 9LH
Bible Baptist Church, Wood St, Bury BL8 2QU - See http://www.biblebaptistchurch.co.uk/
Community Baptist Church, Whitefield See http://www.communitybaptistchurch.org.uk/

It is not known if there are any records in existence.

Non-Conformist Denominations -  Independent

Providence Chapel, Kay St (1868 Baines) [not part of the Baptist Union]
Closed sometime in the 1970's and the building demolished. The congregation from there moved to a new site in the town on Radcliffe Road.
 


Roman Catholic
See website http://www.salforddiocese.org.uk
See also the Catholic Record Society at http://www.catholic-history.org.uk/crs/

St Marie Roman Catholic Church, Manchester Rd, Bury BL9 0DR
The first reference to a Catholic chapel in Bury is in 1804. In 1825 a room was secured in Clerke St where the Catholics assembled to attend Mass, and receive the Sacraments, thus the parish of St Marie's began. In 1834 the first resident Priest was appointed and land was acquired in Manchester Rd and in 1842 the present church was opened. The building is largely the same today. It was designed by John Harper of York, who also designed St, Paul's, Bell Lane, and All Saint's, Elton. The registers, Baptisms from ca 1825, Marriages from 1836, and others, are still with the Parish Priest, though they are likely to be deposited in the LRO soon.
 

with kind permission of Paul Naylor

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

LRO

1947-1962

1947-1954, 1961-1962

 

St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church, Peter St, Bury  BL9 6AB
Founded in 1861 in an upper room at the south end of Walmersley Road, near Moorgate. A church, school and presbytery were built in 1871 in Peter Street, and the church and presbytery are still in use today.

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

LRO

1861-1923, 1947-1962

1863-1934, 1947-1954, 1961-1962

 

St. Bede, Rochdale Old Road, Fairfield, Bury BL9 7RG
Established above the Co-op at Fairfield in 1950 and the church was opened in 1953 and closed Dec 2003, demolished summer 2004. The registers are now with the Parish Priest of St. Joseph's.

Repository

Baptisms

Marriages

LRO

1950-1962

1950,1961-1962

 

Our Lady Queen of Poland (Polish) Roman Catholic Church, Back East Street, Bury BL9 0RU

Repositories

LDS on IGI - website: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

LDS catalog -  website: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

Bury Library (RIS) - Reference and Information Services, Bury Central Library, Manchester Rd, Bury, BL9 0DG (holds microfilms and fiche copies and transcripts) - see "Routes" publication by Bury Metro Libraries

Bury Library (BAS) - Bury Archives Service, Edwin St, Bury, BL9 0AS (holds original records) - see "Routes" publication by Bury Metro Libraries

Manchester Archives - Manchester Archives and Local Studies, Central Library, St Peter's Square, Manchester, M2 5PD - website: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/448/archives_and_local_studies

Lancs Record Office - Lancashire Record Office, Bow Lane, Preston PR1 2RE - see "Finding Folk" publication by Lancashire Record Office - website: http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/education/record_office/


PRO/TNA
- Public Record Office now known as The National Archives, Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Richmond, Surrey - website: http://www.pro.gov.uk

LFH&HS - Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society Microfiche - website:
http://www.lancashire-fhhs.org.uk/shop/fiche/index.htm

GMCRO - Greater Manchester Record Office, 56 Marshall St,New Cross, Manchester -website: http://www.gmcro.co.uk/

Boyd’s Marriage Index - available in several places one being British Origins website: http://www.britishorigins.com/ a pay site

Lancashire Parish Record Society - website - http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/lprs/

Ancestry,com Parish Records - several online at http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895

British Isles Vital Records - British Isles Vital Records Index 2nd Edition CDROM generally available by phone from the Latter Day Saints Head Office in your country - website: http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=100104&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=100102&bcname=Vital%20Records%20Indexes&top=&resetCat=N&initBC=Y&level=2&replBC=subcatlist100102

Chetham's Library, Long Millgate, Manchester M3 1SB - website - http://www.chethams.org.uk/index.htm

JTG - JTGrundy personal database - email for lookup by clicking on link for relevant Church