~ MAPS ~
Follow the travels in the New World of the Phillipses
Massachusetts information and maps researched by John Phillips BuczekShowing what the area of the Coastline looks like today. The locations of Dedham, Weymouth and Easton should be noted.A map drawn about 1624 of the Massachusetts coastline. Note that Contentment (now Dedham), Wessagusett (now Weymouth) and Easton are not shown. They had not been settled at this time. The now famous Plimouth (now Plymouth) is shown as well as the Charles River where Nicholases land in Dedham was located.Contentment - a map of unknown origin showing the location of Nicholas Phillips' land along the Charles River
Code for the below:
part to = part of land transferred from one town to another
part fr = part of land transferred from one town to another
part as = part of was is now
Contentment became Dedham 1636
Dedham part as Medfield 1650
Dedham bound Roxbury 1675
Dedham part as Needham 1711
Dedham part as Bellingham 1719
Dedham part as Walpole 1724
Dedham part fr Stoughton 1733
Dedham part fr Stoughton 1737
Dedham part to Dorchester 1739
Dedham part fr Stoughton 1780
Dedham part as Dover 1784
Dedham part to Walpole 1811
Dedham part to Dorchester 1831
Dedham part to W Roxbury 1852
Dedham part to Hyde Park 1868
Dedham part as Norwood 1872
Dedham part as Westwood 1897Wessagusett became Weymouth in 1635. This map is a section of Wessagusett known as Old Spain. It shows of particular interest the location of "Phillips Creek" where Nicholas settled after he left Dedham.Easton, Massachusetts [use back arrow or click on "Back to Maps" to return here]
OLD SPAIN IN 1791
Read before the Society at its Meeting, July 7, 1880
The following is a brief sketch of that part of Weymouth called "Old Spain" as it was in the year 1791.
Commencing at the supposed location of the first settlement in the town, near Phillips' Creek, a few rods north of Smelting Cove, was an old house ' two stories in front and one in the back. Here lived the family of Lieut. Nicholas Phillips, He had two sons, William and John, and a daughter Judith, who married a Mr. Laraba. His wife Mary (Greenleaf) died the year before. The house was taken away about fifty years since. A road or cartway crossed the creek at the Old Stough leading in an easterly direction to Stepping Stone bridge.
HISTORY OF WEYMOUTH MASSACHUSETTS IN FOUR VOLUMES
VOL. I - HISTORICAL
Published by the WEYMOUTH HISTORICAL SOCIETY HOWARD H. JOY, President Pub. 1923
Easton came from Norton 1725The Trail to Huntstown
This section of a Map of Easton, shows the location of Capt. John Phillipses house as well as those of other family members.
Most of the settlements were made subsequent to the first division of lands, in 1696. A few families were here, however, earlier than this, settling as squatters, so called. Among these were Clement Briggs, William Hayward, William Manley, Thomas Randall, Sr., Thomas Randall, Jr., John Phillips, Thomas Drake, and possibly others. The first settlements were made in what is now South Easton village.
JOHN PHILLIPS came here from Weymouth at the same time as William Manley, they dividing one share of land (the fifty-second lot) between them. His half was north of the Manleys, and included the Morse privilege, extending north of Mr. Morse's house and quite a distance eastward. His house was on the spot where the house (formerly the home) of Mr. Morse now stands.
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF EASTON Bristol County, MASSACHUSETTS
By William L. Chaffin
John Wilson and Son, University Press 1886The trail that Thomas Phillips had to take was one that would take him from Easton back to Dedham to what is known now as the Old Boston Post Road. Boston Post Road runs east and west, Thomas would be heading west. His travels would take him through towns that were already settled and all of the land claimed. He would travel through Framingham, to Worcester onto Brookfield were he would have turned North towards Hadley and then crossing the now known as Connecticut River, little realizing that one of his descendants would later drown in this same palce while crossing. He would then have headed towards Hatfield and then further northward toward Deerfield and finally southwest to Huntstown. Portions of his travel have been documented by Dr. Sheppard in his Historical sketches.Ashfield was Huntstown 1765
This map done by Edith Phillips Bradley in early 1980 shows an overlay of lots on a recent map of Ashfield. I have confirmed this map with the Ashfield Town Hall and it is an accurate depiction of the lots laid out in 1739 by the Proprietors, Capt. John Phillips being one of them.
He, Capt. John Phillips, was allowed land in Huntstown for his participation in the Expedition to Canada in 1690. Lots number 6 and 13 are those that were allowed, one for Captain John and one for his father Richard. The first name of Ashfield was Huntstown in honor of Captain Ephraim Hunt. In 1690 Capt.. Ephraim Hunt, of Weymouth, led a military company in an expedition against "the Canadas," in a contest between the English and French, known as King William's war. The company under Capt. Hunt was fitted out by the united colonies of New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts "for the reduction of Montreal and Quebec." They did not succeed. The success of the expedition had been so confidently expected that no provision had been made for paying the troops. Some forty-six years later, the soldiers or their heirs were paid in the form of land in what is now Ashfield.
Thomas did not settled on the given lots as can be found by reading the Historical Sketches by Sheppard. He was an early settler, the second according to history. He was surely there before Richard Ellis and is wife Jane Phillips the sister to Thomas Phillips for there are records of his dealings prior to Richard Ellises settling there. The History of Ashfield state that Richard Ellis first settler of Huntstown.... they are in error.
We now travel to West Virginia and follow the trail of Elijah Phillips and David Phillips who left Ashfield prior to 1840 in search of new lands and settled Upshur County in West Virginia
West Virginia maps were research by Dorothy McCann PhillipsIn 1812 Samuel Ranney begins growing peppermint and distilling peppermint essence in Ashfield, Massachusetts. This business proved very profitable, and by 1821 there were five distilleries, and by 1830 there were ten. Other essences distilled included tansy, spearmint, hemlock, spruce, and wintergreen. In 1830 the Bement store began equipping peddlers with essences and other items. Many of the families in this industry eventually relocated to New York and places further South, where the growing conditions were better.
Perhaps Elijah and David and later on William were one of these families............. therefore the reason for leaving.
The map shows the locations of Elijah, David and William Phillips properties.A later map showing more families and more Phillips families.
We now travel to North West to Wisconsin, to the area in which Abiram Phillips settled
It was in 1797 when Abiram was born to Lemuel Phillips and Sarah Cranson. He was the husband of Lucretia Jepson. To them were born several children including Nathan and Martin. In or about the year 1856, Abiram moved to Wisconson with several of his children. He made two purchases of land in 1856.. his deeds are in the site under "Deeds, Wills, etc". The map of Bear Creek shows the location of his land and that of Martin's and Nathan's.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids