Borough erected in 1876 from southwestern East Rockhill Township. The name comes from the Manor of Perkasie.
The Manor of Perkasie was one of William Penn's several manors in Bucks County and contained 11,462 acres. It was part of the present Hilltown and East Rockhill Townships.
The Proprietary's Manor of Perkasie, containing ten thousand acres, partly in Rockhill township, was surveyed and laid out prior to 1708. A section of the township is still called Perkasie, and a flourishing village of this name has grown up within a few years on the upper part of the manor. The manor lands were opened to purchase and settlement about 1735. About this time Jacob Stout a German immigrant, came into the township and purchased a tract of land in the manor, covering he site of the village of Perkasie. Abraham Stout, a member of the convention of 1790 that framed the state constitution of Pennsylvania , who was born ion the premises in 1740, remembered seeing the Indian boys of the neighborhood shot birds with arrows. Jacob Stout, the first settler, died in 1771, and was buried at Stout's graveyard, on the south-west end of Perkasie. Abraham Stout, the son, died in 1812, and his remains were buried at the same place. Within a few years the large stone barn which Jacob Stout built about 1752 was turned into a sash-factory, but was burned down in the fall of 1875. Before the fire the walls were apparently as sound as when put up. Since then mr. Kramer has erected a large brick building, suitable for carrying on any kind of business. Among the purchasers of manor lands of Richard Penn, in 1776, was John Benner, one hundred and thirty eight acres. The same year Benner conveyed to John Shellenberger, of Hatfield, Montgomery county, which was probably the first coming of the family of this name into this county. In 1779 the property was again sold to Conrad Shellenberger of Rockhill.
Between 1740 and 1750 three brothers and a sister, named Groff, immigrated from Germany to Pennsylvania. Jacob was engaged to a young girl, who came over in the same ship, and they were married on their arrival. Soon afterward he purchased a tract of land in Rockhill, where they settled down and spent their lives. he became the owner of several hundred acres, and Sellersville is built on a portion of this tract. He was the father of four sons, john, Peter, Jacob, and Henry. John bough a farm adjoining his father's, which partly remains in the family, Peter went to Lancaster county, where his descendants are living, John moved down toward the central part of the county, and was, no doubt, the immediate ancestor of the Groffs of New Britain, and Henry, the youngest son, born about 1758, took part of the homestead farm where he lived and died, and at his death left the acres to his children. Part of it remains in the family. Henry was the immediate ancestor of David Groff, of Sellersville, In 1755 a tract of sixty-six and three quarter acres was surveyed to Samuel Iden, on the Tohickon, by virtue of a warrant.
EARLY LAND SPECULATORS
The Manor of Perkasie was one of William Penn's several manors in Bucks County and contained 11,462 acres. it was surveyed and laid out by Thomas Fairman about 1708.
Back to page 530
|Ref: Town and
Pennsburg, Montgomery County, PA
Saturday - July 15, 1905
MUTINOUS SOLDIERS SPREAD-EAGLED
Three men spread-eagled in front of the guard tent of the
was the unpleasant sight which greeted the eyes of the
visitors to Robert E.
PATTISON Camp, at Perkasie, on Monday morning. The three men
were placed under
arrest during the night for being unruly and mutinous. They
and it was only after a severe struggle in which several
Col. BROCK, assisted, that they were subdued and fastened
securely by having
their wrists and ankles tied to tent pegs driven in the
ground. They were
released when the police detail went to work and were set to
task digging a
ditch, which was needed. One of them, James DUFFY, who
seemed to be the ringleader
of the crowd, refused to work, and began to fight the guard.
He was taken
back to the guard tent and spread-eagled again, this time
with his face to the
ground. The other two, Walter P. DOWING and Charles V.
BARRETT, submitted and
worked faithfully until it was time to take them before a
court-martial which had been ordered. The three men were
tried and found guilty of
mutinous conduct and other infractions of the regulations.
They were sentenced to
be dishonorably discharged and to be drummed out of camp.
The latter part of
the sentence was carried out on Tuesday afternoon. It was
learned that the
three men had enlisted only four weeks before the regiment
went into camp. The
trio are wanted in Philadelphia and should have appeared in
Court there on
Monay to answer to a charge of assault and battery on an old
man who keeps a
grocery store on Ridge avenue. Sunday night was a bad one
for the element
which does not like to obey the laws. Chaplain HOYT, of the
Sixth, heard that
gambling was going on in the tents where some of the negro
cooks sleep. He found
a good big crap game in full operation. There was a pile of
money and the
player who had the bones was just crying out "come seben,"
when the tent flap
was thrown back and the chaplain stood revealed. He ordered
the money to be
thrown down. When this had been done the chaplain
confiscated the dice box, but
not being posted about the game, neglected to seize the
dice. He read the
negroes, a lecture and notified them that a repetion of the
offence would result
in their being driven out of camp.