was organized in 1742. Early settlers: Richard Thatcher, Joseph
Warford, Christian Weaver, John Henry Hite, William Morris,
John Harwick, Uriah Kemble, David Buckherd, Bartholomew Longstreth,
Samuel Cruchler, Jacob Richards, Thomas Blair, William Ware, John
Anderson, Edmund Bleney, John Doran, John Wilson, George Ledley,
William Dickson, James Johnson, Richard Loudon, John Colvan, Ralph
Wilson, Jacob Trimbo, and Thomas Ramsey. The original settlers were
English speaking and the Germans overran the township subsequently.
The name of Nockamixon is of Indian origin (the
place at the three houses). On the back of the petition to the court,
asking to have the township organized, is written the following
As rocks in Nockamixon mate the skies,
So let this town to Nockamixon rise,"
|In 1784 the population was 629, with 116 dwellings.
|Houses were first numbered in Paris in 1463. In Britain,
numbering did not appear until 1708, on a street in London's
White Chapel area. Streets were first numbered in Nockamixon
Township in 1995. |
Nockamixon Township (WikiPedia)|
Bucks County Intelligencer April 8, 1876,
Removals and changes
Revolutionary Burial Site
In Search of the Prickly Pear
The village and tavern were called_In coaching days it
was described in mail stage advertisements as located "at the end of
the river road," and was a regular stopping place for the Philadelphia
and easton stages. Harrow from the fixture of a harrow on the tavern
sign board. The inn building dates from around 1720, the first
innkeeper was probably John Wilson, grandson of trader Ralph Wilson.
BUCKSVILLE_One of the
earliest of the villages founded in the township. Nicholas Buck, whose
father arrived from Germany around 1752, was a wheelwright by trade.
He settled in Nockamixon in 1792, purchasing 64 acres including the
site of Bucksville. It became a thriving German community with a
blacksmith shop and a large stone house, which today is a bed and
breakfast known as the Bucksville House. Local history has it that the
hotel was a speakeasy during Prohibition.
Nockamixon Township tax collector, established the Sorrel Horse Inn in
what would become Revere around 1800. He sold the inn to his brother
John around 1818, who replaced the log inn with a substantial stone
structure. Later John Rufe, son of George, owned and operated what
became known as Rufe's Tavern. George had purchased 176 acres in the
area in 1798.
The original building burned in 1850 , was rebuilt with the store
by William Rufe, destroyed by fire in 1918. Jacob Black was the
landlord at the time, and Harry Kiefer was the owner of the store. It
was later rebuilt; the hotel being then known as the Hotel Paul
Revere. Fire destroyed that building in 1959 and was not rebuilt.
as Rum's Corner because of the distillery in the area. The present day
Ferndale Inn building dates back to pre-1827, as it was listed then as
part of the Michael Meisser estate. Michael Meisser was a settler, and
owned land on the hill above Ferndale prior to 1753. The Center Hill
Schoolhouse, now a private residence on Center Hill Road near the
township building, was part of that tract.
community in the township. Jacob Froelich of Bethlehem was the first
owner of land in the village. He purchased 101 acres in 1743 from
Thomas and Richard Penn. In 1749 George Gintner (Kintner) settled in
the hills of Nockamixon Township. After serving in the Revolutionary
War he entered the pottery business. He sold supplies to the Durham
Iron Furnace until it blew up in 1792, after which he left the area.
His son Jacob moved back to Bucks County in 1812. Jacob purchased
the property where Kintnersville now sits from Jacob Froelich Jr. for
$26.75. Kintnersville was the site of the first gas station in Upper
Bucks County and the first telephone was installed in 1910.
The village of Kintnersville was named for the prominent
German family of Kintner, a race of fighters and politicians.
Although probably coming from the same province in Germany, the
immigrant Kintners seem to have entered this country through
different ports. The name was spelled several ways, commonly
Gunter, Guntar, Gunther, and Gunther, changed by some of the
family branches to Kintner after arrival in this country. The
ancestor of the Bucks County Kintners seems to have been Georg
Gunther, who arrived in Philadelphia on the ship Chance, Captain
Charles Smith, in 1763.3
NARROWSVILLE_was a small
hamlet at the lower end of the narrows on the Delaware River. The
narrowsville Hotel was established in 1820, and was a stagecoach stop
on the Easton-Morrisville Line. It was also a stop for canal barges in
the mid to late 1800s, and had a blacksmith shop and stables
alongside. The hotel, now known as the Indian Rock Inn, is sheltered
at the base of the Palisades cliffs. The Palisades cliffs are home to
rare species of alpine plants and have been studied by many eminent
|Nockamixon High School's graduating class of 1924.
OF PALISADES SCHOOL DISTRICT, it began with Springfield and
|Mable Foellner |
|Samuel Litzenberger |
|Dorthy Fretz |
|Raleigh Reinert(teacher) |
|Stella Bean |
|Charles Kohl |
|Ester Seifert ||
|Vergie Dunlap |
|Alma Seifert |
|Margaret Trauger |
|Theodore Moyer |
|John Trauger |
|Thomas Hale |
|St. Lukes Nockamixon . . .The
church began in a log structure in 1761. Incorporated in
1763. In 1804 the Lutheran congregation approached the local
reformed congregation, and the Nockamixon Union Church was
formed. The new Union Church worshiped in a building on the
present site of St. Luke's Lutheran church on Church Hill
Road in Ferndale.
470 Church Hill Road
PO Box 67
Ferndale PA 18921
|St. Joseph's Marienstein . .
. Thanks to the efforts of Father Henry Stommel, pastor
of St. John the Baptist Church in Haycock Township from
October 7, 1871 to November 19, 1875, that St. Joseph's on
Marienstein Road was built. St. Joseph's was a mission of
St. John's Roman Catholic Parish, Haycock.
| Rock Ridge
Christian, Geigel Hill Road Nockamixon PA
Sometimes goes under the name Christian Church or
Rope Walk Church.
St. Lukes Cemetery
Nockamixon Union Cemetery on Church Hill Road in
Ferndale was incorporated on December 3, 1873, and continues
to stand as a final resting place for this area's
forefathers, their descendants, and many others as northern
Bucks County has continued to grow. Two additional land
areas have been added over the last century and a quarter -
one in 1939 and another in the mid 1950's.
|Although it is located in close proximity to St. Luke's
Evangelical Lutheran Church, the cemetery is a public
non-profit cemetery available to all persons, regardless of
race or religion. Donations of help, use of equipment and
materials, legal experience, as well as memorial
contributions are greatly appreciated.
|*INDENTURE: 1861 indenture was made for a transaction
between Isaac and Elizabeth McINTIRE and Jacob MEYERS, all
of Nockamixon Township in Bucks County, PA. Jacob Meyers
paid Isaac and Elizabeth McIntire four hundred dollars for
land adjoining that of "George SHIVE, Christian PHILLIPS and
The land that was sold included twenty-one acres "being
the same premises which Joseph S. ELY Esquire Sheriff of the
County of Bucks aforesaid levied upon and took in execution
as the property of Francis (Thome?Thomo?Thoms?) and sold
under a writ of bendictioni tested at Doylestown December
6th AD 1858 ..." Source
|Bucks County Intelligencer
Marriages - Nockamixon
|Lenney, Anna, Easton and Henry H. Younken,
|Melcher, John and Hannah keiser, both of
Nockamixon Twp., 8/31/1858|
County Intelligencer, October 1843:
Orphans' Court Sale
PERSUANT to an order of the Orphans' Court of Bucks county,
will be sold at public sale, on the premises, in Nockamixon
township, on Saturday the 28th of October next, all the Real
Estate of George Sheets, dec'd, consisting of a tract of
land, containing 50 ACRES lying on a public road leading to
Frenchtown, adjoining fields of Samuel Ulmer, Frederick
Stone, and others.
The improvements are a house, well of water at the door,
barn, orchard, &c. There is also a good proportion of
meadows and woodland. Sale to commence at 1 o'clock P.M.
Conditions by FREDERICK STONE, Adm'r. September 27, 1843
1920 - 2000
Jeanne Gorham died on July 15, 2000. Born May 17, 1920,
Gorham was 80 years old and lived in Revere, PA.
1903 - 1999
J Sibre died on May 3, 1999. Born March 24, 1903, Sibre was
96 years old and lived in Revere, PA