Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

MILFORD

ADDRESSES • THE BEGINNING • BEDMINSTER • BENSALEM • BOROUGHS • BRIDGETON • BRISTOL • BUCKINGHAM • CEMETERIES • CHURCHES • DOYLESTOWN BORO • DOYLESTOWN TWP • DURHAM • EARLY FRIENDS BC • FALLS • HAYCOCK • HILLTOWN • LINKS • LOWER MAKEFIELD • MAPS • MIDDLETOWN • MILFORD • NEW BRITAIN • NEWTOWN • NOCKAMIXON • NORTHAMPTON • NEWS OBITS • OUTSIDE BUCKS • PERKASIE • PLUMSTEAD • QUAKERTOWN • RICHLAND • SOLEBURY • SCHOOLS • SOURCES • SOUTHAMPTON • SPRINGFIELD • TINICUM • UPPER MAKEFIELD • WRIGHTSTOWN • RECORDS • FAMILY HISTORY • TID BITS

Home
TRUMBAUERSVILLE

Milford was organized in 1734.  Milford is the first township of the last group to be organized before 1752. Milford is the first township into which the Germans came in any considerable numbers. The heaviest German immigration took place between 1725 and 1740, and during this period a large number settled in the upper end of this county, and what is now Northampton and Lehigh. By 1775 they numbered about one half the population of Pennsylvania.

Knowledge of early Milford is neither extensive nor as accurate as could be desired. It is not know who the first land-owner was, but Joseph Growden owned a large tract there at an early day. Martin Morris, who was there among the first, took up five hundred acres, which he conveyed to Jacob Shelly. Those who signed the petition to be organized as a township were: Cline, Clymer, Musselman, Jamison, Nixon, Jones, Lawer, Wies, Ditter, Hoene, Sane. The first survey showed the names of real estate owners as: Robert Gould, Michael Atkinson, John Edwards, Thomas Roberts, David Jenkins, edwin Phillips, Peter Evins, Michael Lightfoot, Arthur Jones, Morris Morris, John Lander, Jacob Musselman, John Yoder, Peter Lock, Abraham Heston, John Dodsel and Joseph Growden's

The villages of Milford township are Trumbauersville, Spinnersville, near the Lehigh county line, Steinsburg, and Milford Square.  1

   
bullet

BRICK TAVERN

bullet

CRESSMAN
Former village, now a part of Trumbauersville

bullet

TRUMBAUERSVILLE
Formerly Charlestown
Post Office established in 1822

bullet

SPINNERSTOWN
Post Office established in 1825

bullet

Spinnerstown Hotel

bullet

STEINSBURG
a village in northeastern Milford Township on the Allentown road within a half mile of Lehigh County.3

 

bullet

MILFORD SQUARE
Post Office established in 1872

bullet

STEINSBURG
Post Office established in 1852

bullet

FINLAND

bullet

Jonathan B. Wolf, Jr.

bullet

Milford Township Historical & Preservation Society
P.O. Box 73,
Spinnerstown PA 18968

bullet

Milford Township

 

CHURCHES

  Lower Milford Union Church, founded 1769, Lutheran until 1805.

Names from the Lower Milford church: Koll, Lohaus, Heist, Miller, Zangmeister, Schuetz, Sax, Maurer, Cugler, Weber, Schantz, Leister, Bartholomew, Stachr, Frederick, Espick, Geisenhaimer, Roeller, Waage, Smith, Senn, Strassberger, Huber, Taber.


Schuetz's Lutheran, known as Saint John's (over 100 years old in 1876)
Mennonites had three churches in 1876, the earliest being built in 1735.

TRINITY REFORMED CHURCH, SPINNERSTOWN

Is now called the Trinity Great Swamp United Church of Christ.
Their phone number at present is 215-679-7710.
The church has records of births, marriages and deaths going back to approximately 1875.

FINLAND

Small village in southwest Milford Township on Unami Creek near the MontgomeryCounty line. It was once a post office, which has been discontinued, and mail is supplied by rural delivery. The village is not mentioned in any county history. The name seems to be recent and may have been first applied to the village when the post office was established. its derivation has not been determined, though it has been suggested that it may be a contraction of a term like "Fineland".
Place Names of Bucks County

 

TOWN AND COUNTRY NEWSPAPER

STEINSBURG

The large general store, of Oliver H. ERDMAN, of Steinsburg, Bucks County, was entered by thieves one night last week, and looted to the value of about $105. The thieves confiscated a number of ready made suits, jewelry, shoes etc., to the value of about one hundred dollars. The cash drawer was also robbed of all the small change left in it, which amounted to about five dollars. The robbers gained entrance to the building by removing the transom above the front door. They left no clue upon which they might be apprehended.

Ref: Town and Country Newspaper Pennsburg, Montgomery County, PA Saturday - October 15, 1904

WOMAN COMES FROM GERMANY TOMEET HUSBAND

A poor woman from Germany arrived in Allentown on the immigrant train on Tuesday morning to surprise her husband who came to this country several months ago, and who she supposed was prospering. He had no knowledge of her coming. When the woman arrived at her husband's boarding place she received the sad intelligence that the man, being unable to find profitable employment, had sailed for home several days ago. This unexpected news almost prostrated the unfortunate woman, who had only sufficient funds to return to New York, which she did on the next train.

Ref: Town and Country Newspaper

Pennsburg, Montgomery County, PA
Saturday - May 21, 1904
bullet

DELHAAS-WILSON CLASS OF 1960

bullet

DELHAAS Class 59

bullet

Sources

This website was created as a guide to the history and genealogy of Bucks County Pennsylvania . All efforts have been made to be accurate and to document sources. Some of the material has been contributed and published, with permission, in good faith. I am always open to suggestions. Enjoy!
 
1997-2007 Nancy C. Benner Janyszeski © - P.O. Box 235 - Revere PA 18953 - All rights reserved. Please feel free to link to the pages on this site. I accept no responsibility for the content of other websites or for services or products purchased or used as a result of a link from these pages.