Durham Historical Society
|Durham was organized in 1775. Durham, at the extreme north point of the county, and the last of the original townships to be organized, was one of the earliest in the upper end to be settled. The Proprietary government knew of the deposit of iron ore in the Durham hills as early as 1698. Durham furnace was one of the earliest erected in the United States. Original owners of the tract were Jeremiah Langhorne, of Bucks, Anthony Morris, James Logan, Charles Reed, Robert Ellis, George Fitzwater, Clement Plumstead, William Allen, Andrew Bradford, John Hopkins, Thomas Linsley, Joseph Turner, Griffith Owen, and Samuel Powell, of Philadelphia, formed themselves into a stock company for the purpose of making iron.
The Fackenthalls, spelled originally Farenthal, and Longs are among the oldest of the present Durham families. The former is descended from Philip Fackenthall, who immigrated from Rotterdam to America, in 1742,
landing at Philadelphia September 24th. he settled in
Springfield township where he bought land, passed his life, and was
buried in the graveyard of the old Springfield church. His son
Michael, born May 23d, 1756, settled in Durham, where he died January
21st, 1846. In 1776 he was a sergeant in Captain Valentine Opp's
company, and the 17th of November he assisted to capture a body of
Hessians at Richmond, on Staten Island. In 1781 he performed a
tour of military duty as second lieutenant of captain Christopher
Wagner's company of militia, and was discharged at camp below Trenton.
he left three sons, John, Peter, and Michael, and three daughters, all
deceased. John was a member of assembly, and held the office of
register of wills of the county, and they were prominent in local
politics. the longs have been in the township an hundred years.
Thomas Long, the ancestor, born in Ireland in 1740, immigrated to this
province and settled in Williams township, Northampton county; thence
he removed to the Jacob Uhler farm above Riegelsville, and about 1775
or 1776 to what is known as the Long homestead, in the middle of the
township, and still owned by his descendants. About 1766 he
married Rachel Morgan, who was born in England in 1748. He was
the grandfather of William S. Long, of Durham, and his son, William
Long, was appointed associate-judge of the county in 1824.1
Historic Hotel on the Delaware River Established 1838.
Built by Benjamin Riegel, founder of Riegelsville.
Although suffering some minor damage in the recent floods,
the Riegelsville Inn continues to operate as it has for over
Still operating as an Inn and Restaurant today.