Search billions of records on



Grammar School

Doylestown MennoniteDoylestown was organized in 1818  and situated within a mile of the geographical centre of the county. By an Act of Assembly, passed the 20th of March, 1724, became the county seat in place of Bristol, an honor which it held until 1812, when the courts and public offices were removed to Doylestown, a more central location.

In 1912, one hundred years later the centennial was celebrated by decorating the streets, patriotic flags, and a costume ball, to name just a few of the events. BCHS

Doylestown, the county seat, was first called by this name in 1778. It is derived the name from William Doyles, who settled there about 1735, and kept a hostelry at the cross-roads as early as 1742. The earliest inhabitants of the neighborhood were Scotch-Irish. In 1732 a log church was founded at Deep Run, eight miles north-west of Doylestown, of which Rev. Francis McHenry was installed pastor in 1738. Doylestown was incorporated as a borough in 1838. A flourishing boarding school for boys and girls has been established here by a joint stock company, and also a prosperous female seminary. Newspaper authority tells us that Doylestown, in 1778, contained but two or three log dwellings.

Early settlers: Joseph Kirkbride, William Doyle, David Thomas, William Wells, Thomas Adams, Thomas Morris, John Marks, Hugh Edmund, Clement Doyles, William Beal, Joseph Burges, Nathaniel West, William Dungan, Solomon McLean, David Easton, and Edward Doyle, Christian Wertz, George Stewart, Doctor Meredith, Jacob Thomas, Eli Vanluvanee (shoemaker). The oldest families of Doylestown, Harveys, Stewarts, McIntoshes, Vanluvanee, Halls, Magills, and the DuBoises. In 1820 the population of Doylestown was but 360, and about 500 in 1829. One account tells us the population was 800 in 1830. According to the census of 1840 the population was 906; 1850, 974 white and 32 colored; 1860, 1,416, and 1,601 in 1870, of which 139 were of foreign birth. The actual population is about 2,000.

The First Baptist church of Doylestown was organized on the evening of Thursday, December 3, 1867, with the election of Reverend W.S. Wood as pastor, and two deacons— Robert Johnson and James D. Scott. There were more than fifty constituent members, a majority of whom had formerly been connected with the New Britain church. It was recognized as a regularly constituted organization January 16, 1868, by a council composed of representatives of seven different Baptist churches, Dr. George Dana Boardman delivering the sermon on the occasion; and at the next meeting of the North Philadelphia Association this church was formally admitted into the body. The initial step in building a church was taken January 12, 1867, when a committee was appointed to purchase a suitable site. Within two years from that date the proposed building was under roof; but owing to financial stringency it was not dedicated until January, 1877. It is a substantial structure, eligibly located, commodious, well furnished, and involved an aggregate expenditure of twenty-three thousand dollars. The successors of Mr. Wood as pastor were: Reverend H.A. Hastings, John Miller, and T.R. Howlett. The membership numbers one hundred and seventy-five at present.

Battle History of Bucks County, page 460

bullet [Bucks County Courthouse]
Doylestown is the home of the Bucks County Genealogical Society, The Bucks County Historical Society, The Mercer Museum and Fonthill , the home of Henry Mercer
  Located in Bucks County, Doylestown was incorporated as a borough on April 16, 1838.
PA State Archives
Borough Council Minutes, 1856-1953. 4 rolls. (LR 58)
bullet James Lorah house
The site was developed by John Dyer, an English Quaker. At that time, the town was called Dyerstown. The mill has served as a post office, general store, an inn (around the time of Prohibition) and then a tavern. While changes have been made to the building, it retains its historic appeal. This site is now the Waterwheel Restaurant on Old Easton Road


bulletAmerican Czestochowa
bulletW. Atlee Burpee (1858-1915)
bulletA History of Doylestown
bullet1936 Newspaper clipping submitted by Jane Heinemann (Hotchkiss, Darlington & Dr. McEvoy)
bullet Doylestown Borough
bullet Doylestown Cemetery
215 E Court Street
Doylestown PA 18901
(215) 348-3911

Doylestown Cemetery (Partial) – MORRIS Surnames, Bucks Co., PA

bullet Photographic Tour Doylestown
W. Atlee Burpee 1858-1915. The Doylestown Historical Society, a group dedicated to the history of the borough, sponsored a historical marker which honors Mr. Burpee for his achievements in seed growing and he also donated the land for the borough's first park in 1913. The text of the historical marker which was approved by the state historcial commission goes as follows: Founder at age 18 of the seed company bearing his name. At Fordhook Farm nearby, he developed Golden Bantam Corn, Bush Lima beans, Iceberg Lettuce, & other plant varieties. He gave this park to the Borough in honor of his wife Blanche.
Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission 2000 -
The Intelligencer Record Sunday, November 5, 2000


The Czestochowa Shrine in Doylestown had its beginning in 1954 when a faithful reproduction of the Miraculous Picture, blessed in the Miraculous Chapel in Czestochowa, Poland, was brought to the United States by the Pauline Fathers whose mission was to build an American Czestochowa

By 1955 the Pauline Fathers had established a monastery and a church on a small tract of land near Doylestown, PA. It was a humble beginning for the Shrine with a converted barn serving as the first chapel, housing the Picture of Our Lady the Fathers had brought from Poland. This "Original Barn Chapel" is located at the back of the Cemetery where it stands as a reminder of the Shrine's humble beginnings.

Pauline Fathers - National Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa - P.O. Box 2049 - Doylestown PA18901

bulletis located in the Miraculous Chapel, Jasna Gora, Czestochowa, Poland
bulletis one of the oldest paintings of the Blessed Mother in existence
bulletaccording to legend, was painted by St Luke, the Evangelist, on a table top from the Nazareth House
bulletwas entrusted to the protection of the Pauline Fathers in 1382
bullethas scars on the face of the Blessed mother - the result of being struck by the swords of bandits in 1430 as they tried to steal the picture.


bulletIs a faithful reproduction of the original miraculous miraculous painting at Czestochowas, Poland
bulletwas blessed in the miraculous chapel at Jasna Gora, Czestochowa, Poland
bulletwas brought to America by the Pauline Fathers in 1954
bulletis located above the main altar in the Shrine Church at the American Czestochowa

The Shrine at Czestochowa looking south towards Doylestown Bucks County Pa



backyard friend a red bellied woodpecker





DELHAAS Class 59



This website was created as a guide to the history and genealogy of Bucks County Pennsylvania . All efforts have been made to be accurate and to document sources. Some of the material has been contributed and published, with permission, in good faith. I am always open to suggestions. Enjoy!
©1997-2007 Nancy C. Benner Janyszeski © - P.O. Box 235 - Revere PA 18953 - All rights reserved. Please feel free to link to the pages on this site. I accept no responsibility for the content of other websites or for services or products purchased or used as a result of a link from these pages.